You can go back in time and prevent a great catastrophe. Which one would you prevent?

wmwcjr

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 12:20 pm
@JGoldman10,
Yes, we all know that Harry Potter is the fount of all evil. Rolling Eyes Are you also against The Wizard of Oz (including the beloved movie classic) and Lord of the Rings? If you're not, you're being inconsistent ...
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 12:25 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
I would prevent the great catastrope of Goldman10 being conceived.

When Mr. Goldman was about to mount his fair lady wife on the evening she was ovulating, I would create such a cacophny outside their window he'd be distracted by investigating what all the fuss was about.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

You crack me up, chai2. Smile

I can just see you now: Wooo! Wooo! Don't do it! Don't do it!
0 Replies

Stugotz

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2011 05:14 pm
the birth of the flaming faggot JGOLDMAN,, jasonnnnnnnnnnnnnn
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2011 09:14 pm
I would simply work within my own life and exorcise its worst event
0 Replies

Hjarloprillar

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 07:21 am
The invention of time travel

think about it.
plainoldme

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 09:17 am
@Hjarloprillar,
That's what this thread is about
BillRM

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 01:53 pm
@JGoldman10,
It must had been the devil behind the Potter books as god is not powerful enough to get kids to wait in line to buy and then read thousand pages books.
plainoldme

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 04:39 pm
@BillRM,
We can be certain that no Republican was behind that Potter books as Republicans want kids to have low reading comprehension so they end up dumb enough to swallow the right wing line.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 05:05 pm

The Right Wing line is the philosophy upon which this Republic was built.

A teacher shud KNOW that.

David
0 Replies

Hjarloprillar

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 10:16 pm
@plainoldme,
Exactly

The disaster IS the invention of time travel.
Once invented it CANNOT be uninvented.
For to uninvent it requires only that it was never found.
A acausal paradox
Which is not the same as multiverse branching. where each new act resloves in new branched reality.
It is simply not possible. You cant destroy what allows you to destroy.
Let me give example.
"You travel back to before scientist X discovers time travel , and shot him.
But if you shot him.. no time travel and you cant travel back to shoot him."
acausality is only observed at quantum level.. not macroscopic. Tippler said you can go into the past. Theoretically he is correct. But it takes the power of a naked black hole to it. Something so far from our grasp we may as well be apes with sticks. [not to different to what we are now]
Thus reality dissolves in a plethora of multiple lines . all changed by do gooders trying to make things better
Example if i went back and shot hitlers father and another traveller went back and shot hitler. which comes first?
the one that went back to shoot hitler is not wrong.. hitlers father did not get shot. Yet he did .
resolution of contradiction says all happened.. many verses exist to accomodate.
seeing it now?
reality is FAR bigger than our imagination

Prill

Jack87

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 11:05 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I think everyone has forgotten the single worst catastrophe in human history: the fall of the Roman Empire.

Almost all of the problems of the modern world can be traced to the steady decline of Rome, not because it's fall cause the problems of today but because when it stopped expanding so to did the collective knowledge of humanity until eventually the Renessaince began to bring back the pursuit of knowledge after a considerable lose of time of course.
Jack87

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 11:37 pm
@Hjarloprillar,
And Prill you can't forget the fact that the past has already occured and cannot be changed therefore even if you go back it time and kill your father that simply means that you weren't created by him because you existed before you were born and therefore you must be born, but because your brain also existed as it did in the past there must be events that create the memories of your life with your father; nothing changed, your perception of reality was merely flawed and no matter what you do in the past the future will still occur in a way that will cause you to come to the past exactly as you did before no matter how convoluted the chain of events they will play out in a way that creates the past exactly the way it was because it has already been.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 09:07 am
@Jack87,
The roman empire only fell in the West and was a strong going concern in the East for many many centuries longer.

The dark age was also a local event in the West surely not in the East.
0 Replies

Seaumas

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 11:16 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
If I could- and I can't- I wouldn't change a thing. It would destabilize the entire Space/Time continuum. There was an episode of "Star Trek TNG" where the omniscient character, played by John Delauncey, blames Capt. Picard for everything that has gone wrong with the world, humanity and everything. He transports him to the earth where the primodial ooze was forming. Jean-Luc was so curious he stuck his hand in it, thus changing everything from then on out. Naturally, Jean-Luc goes into utterly deep remorse and must be saved from almost certain self-destruction by Councillor Troy (Marina Sirtis) by explaining his Existenial/Sartrian plight that no matter what he does, it will alter the future and for everyone, even "Q", it is the same. The Existential Imperative. So, I am quite satisfied with inevitably changing the world with my every breath- and probably with my eventual demise. The Great Catastrophe would be if we succeeded in preventing it and bringing on something much worse: Perhaps the failure of existence itself.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 02:40 pm
@Seaumas,
Seaumas wrote:
If I could- and I can't- I wouldn't change a thing. It would destabilize the entire Space/Time continuum. There was an episode of "Star Trek TNG" where the omniscient character, played by John Delauncey, blames Capt. Picard for everything that has gone wrong with the world, humanity and everything. He transports him to the earth where the primodial ooze was forming. Jean-Luc was so curious he stuck his hand in it, thus changing everything from then on out. Naturally, Jean-Luc goes into utterly deep remorse and must be saved from almost certain self-destruction by Councillor Troy (Marina Sirtis) by explaining his Existenial/Sartrian plight that no matter what he does, it will alter the future and for everyone, even "Q", it is the same. The Existential Imperative. So, I am quite satisfied with inevitably changing the world with my every breath- and probably with my eventual demise. The Great Catastrophe would be if we succeeded in preventing it and bringing on something much worse: Perhaps the failure of existence itself.
Thay did that on The City on The Edge of Forever, by Harlan Ellison, too.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 02:53 pm
@Seaumas,
When I was 9, I built a house up in one of the trees in my backyard.
I went up there and read.

I fantasized about taking a .45 submachinegun back in time to Europe
and taking out Karl Marx and Fred Engles b4 thay caused any trouble,
but in retrospect, I realize that the terror of communist slavery
caused technological research n development that has yielded great comfort from technological advancement.

Freeing the slaves of communism
woud cost us many of the comforts and luxury of capitalist freedom.

Some woud ask: "is it worth it ?"

David
BillRM

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 07:36 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Harlan Ellison

Footnote having met the man he turn out to be a short asshole in real life.
BillRM

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 07:38 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
realize that the terror of communist slavery
caused technological research n development that has yielded great comfort from technological advancement

With out the USSR and Stalin Hilter might had won WW2 so playing with the time stream should not be done lightly,
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 08:10 pm
@BillRM,

Quote:
Harlan Ellison
BillRM wrote:
Footnote having met the man he turn out to be a short asshole in real life.
I saw him address a Star Trek convention last century.

I will neither comment upon your characterization,
nor dissent from it, but he was a good writer.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 08:21 pm
@BillRM,
The Second World War proved that General Pershing was RIGHT.

We shud have finished the job in 1918.
He predicted that we 'd have to go back and do it over again.

That was not bad enuf.
President Bush recidivated in the First Gulf War,
re-confirming that:
"those who will not learn from history are bound to repeat it."

David

P.S.
I expect some super-technical person
to point out that u can't recidivate unless u did it b4 YOURSELF, personally. OK.
0 Replies