You can go back in time and prevent a great catastrophe. Which one would you prevent?

plainoldme

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 08:45 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
I don't really know how much of that story to believe.

Don't let the stars get in your eyes.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 05:06 am
@djjd62,
gungasnake wrote:
Newt Gingrich once stated the problem of evolutionism and morality about as succinctly as is possible in noting that the question of whether a man views his neighbor as a fellow child of God or as a meat byproduct of random processes simply has to affect human relationships.
djjd62 wrote:
given the way Newt has treated his former wives,
What, in particular, did u have in mind qua the way that he treated them ??

I did not keep abreast of events in that regard; please advise.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 05:20 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
I don't really know how much of that story to believe.

plainoldme wrote:
Don't let the stars get in your eyes.
Their heat and GRAVITY 'd be consummately deleterious, and bring bad luck.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 06:07 am
@OmSigDAVID,
his second and third marriages came about as the result of affairs during the previous marriages, and according to his first wife he informed her of their impending divorce while she was hospitalized undergoing cancer treatments

i don't really care about the private lives of folks for the most part but his comments about the treatment of others as reported by gunga don't really seem to match his actions
plainoldme

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 06:56 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
his second and third marriages came about as the result of affairs during the previous marriages, and according to his first wife he informed her of their impending divorce while she was hospitalized undergoing cancer treatments

Kicking a woman when she is down seems to be a Republican speciality. Consider John McCain, returning home for his imprisonment in Vietnam and discovering his former model wife no longer tall and beautiful because of an auto accident: he embarked on a series of affairs.
Miller

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 06:59 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

You can go back in time and prevent a great catastrophe. Which one would you prevent?

I'd prevent gay marriage from taking place anywhere in the USA. Of what value is gay marriage to the continuance of humanity and the human soul?
Miller

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 07:01 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

You can go back in time and prevent a great catastrophe.
Which one would you prevent?

I 'd prevent slavery, leaving the blacks undisturbed in Africa.
David

And while you're at it, perhaps you could prevent the enslavement of many women by too many men...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 07:06 am
As I wrote above, perhaps catastrophes are NOT to be avoided. Here is something else to consider: I might have nominated the Crusades as a manmade catastrophe to have been avoided. But the Crusades, despite being a series of wars waged ostensibly for religious purposes (which you may label as domination or liberation, depending upon your POV), changed Europe and brought about the Renaissance.

Of course, one could argue whether the Renaissance was ultimately a good thing, but, my point is that everything we associate the Renaissance with would have occurred anyway. Possibly, Plato might not have been rediscovered with the Renaissance as we experienced it and described it. However, Plato might have re-emerged just as the writings of the Essenes emerged in the middle of the last century.

Similarly, I often thought the world would have been better off without WWII, but not for the usual reasons. I think mankind would have developed all of the technology that the War helped produce, but, at a much slower pace that would have integrated the technology into the culture and social structure in a smoother, less disruptive fashion.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 07:41 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
returning home for his imprisonment in Vietnam......he embarked on a series of affairs
One can only hope you are dealt the same degree of understanding that you show to others .
Ionus

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 07:43 am
@Miller,
Quote:
Of what value is gay marriage
It is very important for their struggle against reality and their in-your-face attitude .
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 07:46 am
I think one of the greatest tragedies has been falsely recognised as a plus to humanity.....the USA War Of Independence . If Britain had of maintained control, the Indians would have been better treated, slavery would have been abolished without the Civil War, WWI and WWII might have been avoided and colonialism would have lasted much longer than it did, much to the benefit of the people now living under a dictator who robs the country of all its resources .
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 07:47 am
@Miller,
of what value is any marriage, i say ban the lot
Ionus

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 07:50 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
of what value is any marriage, i say ban the lot
They do marriages by lot where you are ????
0 Replies

Zardoz

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 09:24 am
I would stop Alisa Zinov'yevna Rosenbaum from emigrating from Communist Russia to America. Alisa Zinov'yevna Rosenbaum is better know by her alias, Ayn Rand, she is responsible for the philosophy of Greedism.
Linkat

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 09:27 am
I'd prevent the Ice Age -that way we would still have dinosaurs roaming around - now that would be wicked cool.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 09:41 am
@Zardoz,
Zardoz wrote:
I would stop Alisa Zinov'yevna Rosenbaum from emigrating from Communist Russia to America. Alisa Zinov'yevna Rosenbaum is better know by her alias, Ayn Rand, she is responsible for the philosophy of Greedism.
I LOVE greed.
Greed is good. The trouble with greed is that there is NOT enuf of it.

It makes good sense for EVERYONE to be greedy (tho not stingy).

David
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 05:20 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
I'd prevent the Ice Age........that would be wicked cool.
?????
0 Replies

Zardoz

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 07:24 pm
OmSigDavid

The philosophy the Modern Conservative Movement is based on is Alisa Zinov'yevna Rosenbaum’s philosophy of Greedism. Greedism is the current philosophy of the Modern Conservative Movement. Greedism like Communism is a utopian philosophy.
Utopian philosophies are predestined for failure because they depend on perfect world assumptions in an imperfect world. Zinov'yevna other works include “The Virtues of Selfishness.” She believed that Greed was a moral principal that should govern.

Zinov'yevna was an atheist, who believed that Christianity, ”was the best kindergarten of Communism,“ and that Greedism was the only moral social system. Greed was the answer to all the worlds problems.

Most Conservatives our ignorant of the history of the Modern Conservative Movement and its founders, for instance they don’t know that the man credited with being the founding father of the Modern Conservative Movement was a communist intellectual named Frank Meyer who had dedicated his life “to the overthrow the government of the United States,” along with fellow founding communist intellectuals, like Whitaker Chambers, a communist and Nazi spy that Ronald Reagan later made a National Hero by awarding him the Presidential Metal of Freedom for espionage . The honor given to the Communist and Nazi spy is the civilian equivalent of the Military Medal of Honor.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 07:59 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
ne can only hope you are dealt the same degree of understanding that you show to others .

A man who sticks to every woman who breathes is not deserving of understanding.
plainoldme

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 08:00 pm
@Zardoz,
Good point.
0 Replies