Killing people is the best solution.

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 05:13 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:

1. The correlation is obvious (even if meaningless).

If it is meaningless, then why are you so insistent about having it acknowleged? Let it go already.
If meaningless, moron. It is reasonable for you to think it is meaningless. It is reasonable for me to think it isn't. It is not reasonable for you to pretend it doesn't even exist. Thank Robert for taking care not to admit the obvious on your behalf. Rolling Eyes

DrewDad wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
2. Correlation can imply causation (even if it doesn't here).

Correlation implies a relationship. Correlation implies that there may even be a very interesting relationship.

Absence of correlation implies absence of causation.
Semantic garbage. Absent Robert's gene link; would you still believe that smoking causes Lung Cancer or not?

DrewDad wrote:
The fact remains that you posted a meaningless graph, and then attempted to imbue it with some sort of meaning by stating you didn't think it was coincidence.
The fact remains that it is not a fact that the graph is meaningless; it is your opini0n. I merely offered my opinion that it wasn't coincidence: YOU seem to think it is factually so... but have provided no basis for assumption of a fact you cannot prove.

DrewDad wrote:
And then tried to bludgeon down any opposition. I'm beginning to think this "intellectual dishonesty" schtick is nothing more than projection on your part.
Total bullshit. I disclaimed the graph as possibly coincidence when I posted it, and have steadfastly maintained that it is reasonable to believe it so. Your over the top certainty, absent proof, is what I've "bludgeoned." From beginning to end you've made a fool of yourself by denying the obvious correlation and now by dogmatically believing an unfortunate, much disputed, scientific phrase is actually a law of science. The world isn't flat, DrewDad... and reasonable people have known smoking causes cancer since well before 1996.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:16 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

DrewDad wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:

1. The correlation is obvious (even if meaningless).

If it is meaningless, then why are you so insistent about having it acknowleged? Let it go already.
If meaningless, moron. It is reasonable for you to think it is meaningless. It is reasonable for me to think it isn't. It is not reasonable for you to pretend it doesn't even exist. Thank Robert for taking care not to admit the obvious on your behalf. Rolling Eyes

The correlation issue is important to you, not to me. If the correlation is there, then compute it.

I stated earlier that I've seen too many graphs that were misleading to trust that something is there just because a graph looks pretty.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Correlation implies a relationship. Correlation implies that there may even be a very interesting relationship.

Semantic garbage. Absent Robert's gene link; would you still believe that smoking causes Lung Cancer or not?

Not semantic bullshit. Words have meanings; if we don't agree on the meanings of the words, then we have no basis for communication.

With regard to lung cancer: I would not believe that smoking causes lung cancer on the basis of a single correlative study. Multiple studies, which compare incidence of lung cancer between smokers and non-smokers, which address such issues as length of time smoking, age, socio-economic variables, race, diet, occupation, etc. could persuade me.

As I posted earlier, "a causal connection probably does exist if we can establish that: 1) there is a reasonable explanation of cause and effect, 2) the connection happens under varying conditions, and 3) potential confounding variables are ruled out. " Your simplistic graph makes no attempt at addressing confounding variables.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
The fact remains that you posted a meaningless graph, and then attempted to imbue it with some sort of meaning by stating you didn't think it was coincidence.
The fact remains that it is not a fact that the graph is meaningless; it is your opini0n. I merely offered my opinion that it wasn't coincidence: YOU seem to think it is factually so... but have provided no basis for assumption of a fact you cannot prove.

I have stated my objections to the data represented by the graph. If you are as intellectually honest as you claim, you should make some attempt to address these points; instead you go off on a tangent about how the numbers came from the Department of Justice.

I do not, and will not, find your simplistic graph to be compelling in any way.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
From beginning to end you've made a fool of yourself by denying the obvious correlation and now by dogmatically believing an unfortunate, much disputed, scientific phrase is actually a law of science.

Disputed? By you and whom else? Gungasnake disputes evolution, but it doesn't mean jack to me.
Eorl

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:38 pm
Clearly, O'Bill will fight to very last breath than ever use a phrase like "It seems I could be wrong".

Can't you just get over yourself for a second and admit that you posted something weak (the graph) to support your position, and move on. The whole argument is much bigger than that graph, it may even be bigger than you.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 07:49 pm
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

Clearly, O'Bill will fight to very last breath than ever use a phrase like "It seems I could be wrong".

Can't you just get over yourself for a second and admit that you posted something weak (the graph) to support your position, and move on. The whole argument is much bigger than that graph, it may even be bigger than you.
I've admitted I was wrong as often as any long time poster I'm aware of. Your characterization is false. Just as MerryAndrew's insulting bullshit was false. Aside from rapists, racists, women abusers, and likeminded bullies; I've never offered to kick anyone's ass and certainly never lowered myself to that level of banter for lack of a cogent argument.

I disclaimed the graph as weak when I posted it; but that doesn't prove it meaningless and neither has anyone else. Watching the mutual admiration society pretend valid points are invalid, simply because they're forwarded by someone with an opposing view, is a brand of gang mentality that I never subscribe to, nor shrink away from.

If you want to dispute something I've written, have at it. You will find my tone will generally reflect a degree of respect similar to what I receive.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 09:10 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
The correlation issue is important to you, not to me. If the correlation is there, then compute it.

I stated earlier that I've seen too many graphs that were misleading to trust that something is there just because a graph looks pretty.
Speak clearly. Robert thinks you're simply disputing method, which is admittedly weak and far from comprehensive for reasons I've already conceded... but this sounds like you doubt the veracity of the numbers it reflects (which is, of course, what paints the inverse correlation).

DrewDad wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Not semantic bullshit. Words have meanings; if we don't agree on the meanings of the words, then we have no basis for communication.

With regard to lung cancer: I would not believe that smoking causes lung cancer on the basis of a single correlative study. Multiple studies, which compare incidence of lung cancer between smokers and non-smokers, which address such issues as length of time smoking, age, socio-economic variables, race, diet, occupation, etc. could persuade me.
In other words; if enough studies suggest a correlation; you could be persuaded that they prove causation. This is only possible if the studies imply causation in the first place. If they didn't; they could never compound to prove causation. You are dancing around a simple concession that would allow us to move beyond this silly semantic point.

DrewDad wrote:
As I posted earlier, "a causal connection probably does exist if we can establish that: 1) there is a reasonable explanation of cause and effect,
Coating one's lungs with crap would fulfill this parameter. It doesn't take much imagination to suspect breathing in a burning substance, and coating your lunges with crap might cause problems. Fear of death is certainly a reasonable explanation. Whether you find it compelling or not; it shouldn't be difficult to concede it is reasonable. The multitude of murders that occur during the commission of another crime most certainly include some perpetrators that have carefully weighed the pros and cons of crime and punishment against their perceived odds of getting caught. Pretending they are ALL just stupid, is stupid.
DrewDad wrote:
2) the connection happens under varying conditions, and
Which simply means you want the correlation to imply causation under varying conditions, got it. This can't be done with the single graph, obviously, so it is reasonable for you to conclude it doesn't imply causation. It is not reasonable to continue to deny the obvious correlation.
DrewDad wrote:
3) potential confounding variables are ruled out. " Your simplistic graph makes no attempt at addressing confounding variables.
Nor did I ever claim it did. This too is an argument against causation, not correlation. Consede this much and I'll be happy to move on.

DrewDad wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

I have stated my objections to the data represented by the graph. If you are as intellectually honest as you claim, you should make some attempt to address these points; instead you go off on a tangent about how the numbers came from the Department of Justice.
Again; I am unclear of what you are asking? If the numbers themselves are accurate; correlation is obvious, right? Or are you arguing that the method is insufficient to suggest any causation. This is a different, and frankly much better argument, but probably not something I could satisfy even if I were so inclined.

DrewDad wrote:
I do not, and will not, find your simplistic graph to be compelling in any way.
This repeated nonsensical statement discourages me from doing any homework for you. Not only is it unscientific; it predisposes you to ignoring any evidence that may be presented (the Earth is flat and that's final!)

DrewDad wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
From beginning to end you've made a fool of yourself by denying the obvious correlation and now by dogmatically believing an unfortunate, much disputed, scientific phrase is actually a law of science.

Disputed? By you and whom else? Gungasnake disputes evolution, but it doesn't mean jack to me.
This is more intellectual dishonesty. Your own Wiki-link went well out of its way to dispute it. So have the results of every Google search you've made. Do I really need to spam the thread with "so and so said" links? That shouldn't be necessary in an honest discussion either.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 10:04 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Speak clearly. Robert thinks you're simply disputing method, which is admittedly weak and far from comprehensive for reasons I've already conceded... but this sounds like you doubt the veracity of the numbers it reflects (which is, of course, what paints the inverse correlation).

I do dispute the method.

I also say that visual inspection of a graph is not sufficient to prove a correlation; do the math and get back to me.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
In other words; if enough studies suggest a correlation; you could be persuaded that they prove causation. This is only possible if the studies imply causation in the first place. If they didn't; they could never compound to prove causation. You are dancing around a simple concession that would allow us to move beyond this silly semantic point.

No. You need:
1) a reasonable explanation of cause and effect
2) the connection happens under varying conditions
3) eliminate potential confounding variables

OCCOM BILL wrote:
This repeated nonsensical statement discourages me from doing any homework for you. Not only is it unscientific; it predisposes you to ignoring any evidence that may be presented (the Earth is flat and that's final!)

You do your homework; I'll do mine.

Again, visual inspection of a graph is not sufficient evidence that a correlation exists.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
This is more intellectual dishonesty. Your own Wiki-link went well out of its way to dispute it. So have the results of every Google search you've made. Do I really need to spam the thread with "so and so said" links? That shouldn't be necessary in an honest discussion either.

I think you need to go back and read that again. The wiki link quibbled with the use of the word "imply." It did not try to turn the statistical world on its head by stating "correlation indicates/implies/denotes/means causation" like you are asserting.
okie

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 10:15 pm
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

Why on earth would you justify and reinforce to others the beliefs of people who think killing other people is good...by killing them?

I know plenty of you will just say "oh, Capital Punishment isn't killing people, no,no, no...it's Justice and Righteousness and An Eye For An Eye and plenty of other Noble Sentiments With Capital Letters...and besides, only innocent people get murdered, guilty people Pay Their Debt to Society"

The way I see it, the death toll from the Bali bombings just increased by 3.

Recently they expressed how much they looked forward to becoming martyrs and hoped their executions would inspire many others to do the same.

Despite our Australian Governments long held opposition to CP, our local media is reporting the news with an air of celebration and success, the glee makes me sick.

I know I'm ranting, but I'm angry and I don't care.

I assume then that giving traffic tickets to people that do not obey traffic signals does absolutely no good, that punishment does not discourage observing traffic signals. I can see it now, as soon as word got out that no more tickets or fines for observing traffic signals or stop signs, wouldn't that be a lovely picture every day out there on the streets!

I continue to marvel at the stupidity of the liberal mind.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 10:47 pm
@okie,
Don't be an idiot.

Nowhere does Eorl state that there should not be consequences for crimes.
okie

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 11:25 pm
@DrewDad,
Okay, to use your reasoning, the punishment for running a stop sign is to make the fines a dollar, just mail it in, and no points off your license. Officers will no longer stop you, but instead the idea is to punish you but make it nice and tolerable, they will mail your ticket to you, to return with the dollar fine. That will make them obey the stop signs, etc.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 11:50 pm
@okie,
No, that is your reasoning, apparently.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 01:24 am
@DrewDad,
I'm tired of your cut and paste, dogmatic bullshit. I don't know if you fancy yourself an expert, or if you're just an idiot happy to parrot whatever you read; but mankind has known cigarettes cause cancer for a hell of a lot longer than 12 years. We knew this because the correlation implied causation so strongly that it eventually became undeniable to all but the terminally obtuse. Perhaps Robert is too young to remember much before 96, but I seriously doubt that too. Rolling Eyes

No one could ever measure the connection under varying conditions, let alone rule out confounding variables... and no one ever has. A reasonable explanation and a mountain of correlation was quite sufficient for anyone with enough brains to recognize the truth. Your dogmatic adherence to an unfortunate (and frequently false) phrase makes discussion with you pointless. Your inability to even differentiate between correlation and causation in your own arguments makes me wonder why I've wasted this much time. That you can't even see your own graphs suffer the EXACT same shortcomings proves you are intellectually dishonest... or just plain stupid.

I wonder; does your mutual admiration club agree that correlation didn’t even imply smoking causes cancer until 1996? ******* pathetic.
Eorl

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 02:39 am
@okie,
oh yeah. I had not thought of that. I guess a country like mine without the death penalty should be swimming in blood.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 04:31 am
@OCCOM BILL,
I apologize for the inconsiderate characterization.

OK, let's try looking at this from a slightly different angle.

The smoking/cancer correlation. The early statistics suggested there may be correlation, but causation wasn't proven until it was proven. No doubt you think everyone should have acted earlier based on the way the evidence seemed to be pointing. If, however, the research suggested that there was NO causation, or even that smoking helped PREVENT cancer, then you would have to assume that perhaps your graph was showing some other correlation, not necessarily co-incidental, but not causational either.
For example, maybe there's a smoking culture in factories where workers handle carcinogenic chemicals. In this case, banning smoking would have no effect on the cancer rate and if it turned out that smoking helped prevent cancer, then banning smoking would in fact have increased the cancer rate.

That's why when we see a graph like yours, we set about looking for the proof of causation. The graph on it's own says nothing except..could be a correlation, let's look for evidence of causation.

...and once more I'd like to point out that even if CP was an effective deterrent, I still wouldn't support it.

DrewDad

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 07:40 am
@OCCOM BILL,
And I'm tired of your childish insistence that everyone see things your way, because you say that's how it should be.

I suggest that you grow the hell up, or go away and let the adults talk.

A mountain of correlative data pretty much does measure the connection under varying conditions. Call me back when you have a mountain of correlative data about the death penalty.

And a bare assertion that there is a controversy does not create an actual controversy.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 07:47 am
@DrewDad,
Correlative data can be informative. Weather predictions, for example (or, at least, the last time I was exposed to the theory), work almost entirely off of comparing current conditions to past conditions, and predicting the outcome based on past results. This is based on a huge pile of data, though.

Correlative data can also be misleading. See the pirate graph.

Wanna guess which category I think your silly graph should fall under?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 07:50 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

I'm tired of your cut and paste, dogmatic bullshit. I don't know if you fancy yourself an expert, or if you're just an idiot happy to parrot whatever you read;

I'm someone who's had enough exposure to statistics in both a classroom setting and real life to know the real bullshitter when I see him.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 02:59 pm
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:
I apologize for the inconsiderate characterization.
Damn decent of you, thanks. Apology accepted.

Eorl wrote:
OK, let's try looking at this from a slightly different angle.

The smoking/cancer correlation. The early statistics suggested there may be correlation, but causation wasn't proven until it was proven.
This was my point in it's entirety. The correlation of the statistics implied causation (since I was born in the 60's at least)... and pretty much everyone knew it... even those who eventually died from the cancer. The Surgeon General found that smoking causes cancer and the FTC enacted warning requirements accordingly in the 60's as well. If we all agree that Robert's link is accurate; and substantial proof wasn't obtained until 1996; that's about 3 decades where "correlation implied causation" so strongly that our Federal Government regulated Warnings, absent concrete proof. Were we to accept the unfortunate phrase "correlation doesn't imply causation" as a Law of Science (as DrewDad suggests); that would have left 3 decades of denial. Fortunately; in the real world reasonable human beings have the ability to reason; and don't dogmatically deny the truth based on unfortunate (and frequently false) turns of phrase. Who knows how many lives may have been saved by recognizing that correlation did indeed imply causation.

Eorl wrote:
No doubt you think everyone should have acted earlier based on the way the evidence seemed to be pointing. If, however, the research suggested that there was NO causation, or even that smoking helped PREVENT cancer, then you would have to assume that perhaps your graph was showing some other correlation, not necessarily co-incidental, but not causational either
For example, maybe there's a smoking culture in factories where workers handle carcinogenic chemicals. In this case, banning smoking would have no effect on the cancer rate and if it turned out that smoking helped prevent cancer, then banning smoking would in fact have increased the cancer rate.
I assume your point is that just because the correlation implies causation; that doesn't necessarily make it so. I agree. Where I dissent is in the ridiculous assumption that the implication is "meaningless" unless and until more concrete proof can be found. This type of dogmatic nonsense may have caused who knows how many additional cancer deaths?

Eorl wrote:
That's why when we see a graph like yours, we set about looking for the proof of causation. The graph on it's own says nothing except..could be a correlation, let's look for evidence of causation.
You're mixing your words here (in deference to DrewDad's dogma I suspect) but the graph does show an obvious correlation. This doesn't mean we disagree. On a scale from Pirates/temperature to Smoking/Cancer there is are infinite degrees of likelihood. Obviously, the Smoking/Cancer relationship implies causation more strongly than the Pirate/temperature relationship. True? I would think any reasonable person should be able to recognize the murder rate/execution numbers to be somewhere in between. Only pure assumptive faith, or foolish scientific Dogma, could prevent someone from seeing the obvious connection between murders and a direct result of same as a "possible factor". Not so the Pirate/Temperature silliness, so there would be no point in looking for a further connection there.

In summary:
1.Smoking/Cancer provides that correlation can obviously imply causation. (This should in no way be considered to mean that it always does.)
2. The DOJ numbers clearly show a spike in the murder rate during the moratorium. This correlation may or may not be indicative of a causal relationship. I am not insisting that it does (not from the very beginning). I am insisting that the fact that these statistics move invertedly at roughly the same time makes it worthy of consideration as a possible effect.
3. No real scientist would ever dismiss a possible factor unless it was proven that no connection existed. That would be irrational. This means the graph is not "meaningless", which is the term I took exception to.
4. A re-reading of this thread would reveal that I have accepted the distinct possibility that the graph represents a spike in murder rates that is wholly independent from the use of the death penalty (from my opening post). That I happen to doubt it; is reasonable, and any reasonable person should be able to concede as much. While I have steadfastly maintained that every opposing view is reasonable; one self-important fool has insisted that my reasonable view is not reasonable. Only DrewDad has insisted that his view is the only possible correct view; yet his sympathetic audience has given him a complete pass, and pretended I am the person insisting my view is correct...presumably because his overall view matches theirs. If this isn't intellectual dishonesty; what is it?
5. For the record; I do believe some would-be murderers are deterred from killing based on a fear of death; just as I believe penalty enhancements for carrying a gun to a crime scene deter some perps from carrying a gun to a crime scene. At the same time; I strongly suspect that the decline in the murder rates is mostly reflective of alcohol prohibition's repeal, the spike reflects the increase in attempts at drug prohibition... and the latter decline is the result of harsher sentences on many of those same offenders. Half of all crimes are committed by people under the influence of Drugs or alcohol, and the vast majority of crimes are committed by repeat offenders. It so follows that 3 strikes laws and other harsher penalties that have greatly increased our incarceration rates have also served to keep a lot of would-be murders off the streets. I freely concede that it would be impossible to separate these and other factors away from whatever effect the death penalty may have on murder rates.
6. The above mentioned reasons and others tell me, as a rational human being, that no concrete evidence will ever be established. Consequently, the burden of proof required for causation cannot be established; but, and it's a big BUT, neither will can any evidence to the contrary. This is what frustrates the hell out of me when some fool wants to insist that a lack of provable causation renders relevant evidence "meaningless." In this country; the Death Penalty will roughly follow the will of the people, who in turn merely have to decide for themselves based on a preponderance of the evidence, by their own standards (not some scientific, semantic, mumbo jumbo). While I don't believe for one minute that scientists monolithically, dogmatically subscribe to a nonsensical belief like "correlation CAN'T imply causation" (as demonstrated by smoking/cancer for 3 decades); I KNOW the American public would never collectively buy into something so absurd. This means NO relevant data is "meaningless".
Eorl wrote:
...and once more I'd like to point out that even if CP was an effective deterrent, I still wouldn't support it.
I find this sentiment completely reasonable and in many ways even admirable.

I do, however, disagree. Too many presumed innocent people have lost their lives to recidivism. Only the Death Penalty can insure murderers cannot kill again. Were I in charge; the Death Penalty would be used a hell of a lot more often. Habitually violent offenders, rapists and child molesters would all be eligible candidates for execution.

The leading cause of death among pregnant women in this country is murder. Most of these offences are committed by repeat violent offenders. He who is too depraved to not refrain from beating a pregnant woman, for any reason, exhibits a depraved indifference to the sanctity of life that IMO is sufficient to mark him as a threat to human-kind.

Studies show sex offenders, abusers (who too frequently become murderers), etc. tend to grow up in environments where these things go on. It is too frequently a disgusting vicious circle, which is in my opinion too frequently perpetuated by society's apathy towards the victim's plight, and more specifically by society's unwillingness to take greater measures against the offenders of this nature. Those who have repeatedly demonstrated a total of respect for humanity, depraved indifference, should, IMO, be eliminated for the greater health of the species. I believe in due process and that a person should be presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond all reasonable doubt. After that; my concerns for the innocent are infinitely more compelling than my concerns for the guilty.

There is such thing as justifiable homicide. There is no such thing as justifiable rape or child molestation. I believe there are people who are capable of such heinous atrocities and those who are not. The latter deserves a lot more protection from the former.

Every beating that exceeds self defense and/or protection runs a great risk of causing death. Repeat violent offenders of this nature should be treated as the credible threats that they are. If fair warning of consequences for repeat offenses are insufficient for a man to restrain himself from future offenses; his very being presents a clear and present danger to us all.

I'd like to see far harsher sentencing guidelines across the board for all manner of violent offenses. For the most depraved among us; "3 strikes and you're out should" be a permanent solution.

Please don't take my opinion as an attack on yours, because it isn't. I actually do admire those who have enough compassion in their hearts to believe even the worst among us should be spared. I don't share the sentiment, but I do respect it.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 03:05 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

And I'm tired of your childish insistence that everyone see things your way, because you say that's how it should be.

I suggest that you grow the hell up, or go away and let the adults talk.

A mountain of correlative data pretty much does measure the connection under varying conditions. Call me back when you have a mountain of correlative data about the death penalty.

And a bare assertion that there is a controversy does not create an actual controversy.
This contradicts half of the bullshit you've been peddling. It is you who've insisted that your view is the only correct view, not I, and it is you who needs to grow up. I've wasted too much time on your bob and move tactics already. Good day.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 03:36 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Ta-ta for now.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 03:57 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
1.Smoking/Cancer provides that correlation can obviously imply causation. (This should in no way be considered to mean that it always does.)

I think you're hung up on the meaning of imply.

What does it mean if no correlation is found?
If no correlation is found, then one can rule out any kind of cause-and-effect relationship.

What does it mean if correlation is found?
If a correlation is found then one of several scenarios is in play:

1. B is dependent on A. (A change in variable A causes a change in variable B.)
2. A is dependent on B. (A change in variable B causes a change in variable A.)
3. A and B interact with each other. (A change in variable A causes a change in variable B, which causes a change in variable A, etc.) (Self-reinforcing)
4. A and B are mutually dependent on something else. (Unknown third factor)
5. The relationship between A and B is so complex that while they appear related, it is impossible to determine what the actual relationship is. (Coincidental. "Co" meaning "together" and "incident" meaning "occurance". Not coincidental meaning "accidental".)

There can be no conclusion made regarding the existence or the direction of a cause and effect relationship only from the fact that A and B are correlated.

Let me add, that if you turn it around ("correlation implies there can be a cause and effect relationship") then I would agree with you.