Death Penalty Drugs

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 08:35 am
Recently some state using lethal injection has difficulty in procurring the drug(s) involved in executions. Both legally difficult to obtain as well as expensive being the problems. I have a solution. Use seized narcotics like heroin for execution.

How many times have we heard media stories about someone accidentally overdoing and dying on heroin. If it's easy to OD, then surely it's even easier to deliberately make a dose so large death is certain. And there's lot of seized heroin sitting in evidence lockers waiting to be destroyed. Two birds, use some for execution AND it gets destroyed at the same time. Plus it's free.

By addict accounts being on heroin is very plesant. And even the experience during an overdoes was pleasant until they lsot consciousness. So how would heroin be unethical as execution drug?

Ragman

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 08:51 am
@HesDeltanCaptain,
Is your suggestion for the purpose of saving money and repurposing confiscated illegal drugs? Or is it to provide an effective and humane way to execute prisoners?

I think there's a hidden risk and that is a sad statement on our society. Due to the relative ease of obtaining heroin, this soculd be a guide to how to committ suicdes
HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 09:09 am
@Ragman,
Both. If states unable to obtain drugs from India (as was the case) for execution, why not use what they an overabundance of already? As to humane, I'm not of the opinion there's any humane way to kill someone. Where capital punishment is involved though don't think that should be a consideration and would fully support using a dull carrot peeler to skin them alive. But if we're going 'polish a turd' as it were shouldn't be hard to come up with a lethal dose of heroin based on body weight, metablosim/age, etc. then triple or quadruple it to make certain.
Ragman

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 09:19 am
@HesDeltanCaptain,
I can't see any problem with the logic....no idea of the legal aspects. Maybe they perhaps got an ugly aide of the pharma industry to support?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 09:38 am
aide= side
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 01:37 pm
I did a quick read up and found that muscle spasms are common in heroin overdoses. I would think that executioners would want to avoid that side effect and would probably have to administer a paralytic agent like pancuronium bromide thus making it a tw0-drug combination method of execution.
neologist

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 12:22 am
@HesDeltanCaptain,
Hydrocodone is legal, as are other opiates.
I never have been able to understand why they could not be used.

That's aside from the contentions that the death penalty is not an effective deterrent, is unfairly applied, and appeals are lengthy and expensive.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 12:43 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
. Due to the relative ease of obtaining heroin, this soculd be a guide to how to committ suicdes
Oh, so walking on bridges, high places, traffic, sleeping pills, ropes, exhausts on sealable cars and firearms are all banned ?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2015 07:29 am
@InfraBlue,
You've been thinking this though way tooooo much. Put that brilliant mind to global warming.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2015 07:31 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
Oh, so walking on bridges, high places, traffic, sleeping pills, ropes, exhausts on sealable cars and firearms are all banned ?

Your logic fails you, much like the typical Australian batsman.
Ionus

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 10:04 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I would stay away from logic if I were you . You would find it deeply disturbing .
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2015 05:59 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
You would find it deeply disturbing .

I only find you deeply disturbing as well as deeply disturbed.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2018 10:52 am
Nebraska has become the first state to use fentanyl, an opiate involved in many opiate overdose deaths in the US, to execute death row inmmate Carey Dean Moore. Amid the difficulties faced by states in obtaining drugs used for execution, they've been looking for alternatives. In addition to fentanyl, which is fifty times more potent than heroin, the state used diazepam, better known a Valium--both to render Moore unconscious--and cisatracurim besylate to induce paralysis, for the first time as execution drugs. These, along with potassium chloride, used to induce cardiac arrest, which has been regularly used by states in executions, made up a four-drug battery used by the state of Nebraska to execute Moore. States like Texas had used a three-drug combination to execute prisoners, a barbiturate, either sodium thiopental or pentobarbital, for the rendering of unconsciousness, pancuronium bromide for the induction of paralysis, and potassuim chloride for the induction of cardiac arrest. Press witness Bill Schammert with KOLN reported that there appeared to be no complications in the process and described the execution in his facebook page thusly:

10:31 - Chest stopped moving. Brief large expansion of diaphragm, but no struggle noticed

10:34 - Moore’s face turns red, then purple, no change in facial expression.

10:39 - Curtain closed. Whole process took 15 minutes

10:53 - Curtain back open. Time of death is 10:47.

What I don't get is why the executioners closed the curtain during the execution process and opened the curtain about ten minutes after Moore had been declared dead by the county coroner.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/08/14/nebraska-prepares-for-first-u-s-execution-using-fentanyl/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.780bd9f65999&wpisrc=nl_evening&wpmm=1

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nebraska-execution-carey-dean-moore-final-statement-before-execution-using-fentanyl-for-1st-time/
izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2024 05:59 pm
Missouri has just executed Brian Dorsey.

If they're going to execute him then nobody on death row is safe.

He's not someone who could be described as low hanging fruit.

Judges, mental health officers, serving and former prison officers have all asked for clemency.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2024 08:04 pm
@izzythepush,
I was kinda shocked how quickly they got him executed. It's hard to get someone through the process and strapped down in twenty years without the prisoner stopping the appeal process.

I thought his lawyers brought up a great point regarding his original lawyers.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2024 08:05 pm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GKsjUX2awAAd1Yh?format=jpg&name=900x900
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2024 08:11 pm
@InfraBlue,
They pull the curtain allegedly to provide dignity to the prisoner. The real reason is they don't the witnesses to catch how badly it went wrong is there was a disaster during the "procedure". Like a bad 'stick' with an inmate screaming and fighting his way through a long suffering into death or worse, having a patient in distress who is not going to die without extra process.

End the death penalty.
The Anointed

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2024 08:50 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
End the death penalty.

Why should the brutal serial sexual murderer of little girls have to suffer any punishment at all. I believe that the bleeding hearts of the world would see a lengthy prison term for such an offender as being just toooo cruel.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2024 12:39 am
@The Anointed,
The Bible says thou shalt not kill.

You ignore that alright, but still claim Noah's ark occured.

We know what you are.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2024 01:22 am
Sorry about the multiple posts, my device was playing up and didn't lookl ike it had posted.

I've tried deleting but can't.

In response to Bobsal.

Ned Stark's words in Game of Thrones stands out, whoever passes the sentdnce wields the blade.

Execution is a nasty business, it's easy issuing orders in an office, another thing to carry out or witness the procedure.