Killing people is the best solution.

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 01:15 am
@DrewDad,
I’m done playing semantic games with you, DrewDad. There is no profit in it for either of us or anyone else. I see no substantial difference between “Correlation can imply causation” and “Correlation implies there can be a cause and effect relationship.”

Furthermore; laboratory definitions just don’t always stand up to reason in the real world. In the real world; people recognize that correlation can indeed imply causation. This is evidenced by the three decades of Surgeon General’s warnings based almost entirely on what dogmatic scientists, statisticians, and elitist self-described intellectuals would consider Post hoc ergo propter hoc (after this, therefore because of this). Obviously, this is considered a logical fallacy for good reason… but it is hardly an absolute.

In the real world, when the consequences of failing to arrive at any conclusion can be assumed to cost human lives; reasonable people are forced to make an educated guess. For instance; most reasonable people would want a new drug taken off the market immediately if takers of same were committing suicide in crazy percentages that significantly deviated from those of competing medications. Few people, outside of those deriving income from the drug, would want to take a “let’s just wait and see” until we can actually prove causation approach, because we wouldn’t want to violate some dogmatic scientific principle. While logically sound in the laboratory; that just doesn’t always work in the real world.

Smoking and cancer provides an excellent example of this. Long before science was able to prove causation; the correlation between smoking and cancer was so pronounced (and deadly important) that it demanded recognition. While some scientists may have scoffed; dogmatically insisting the principle of correlation does not imply causation, post hoc ergo propter hoc, bla bla bla; the majority of reasonable human beings considered the implied causation more compelling than dogmatic adherence to a scientific principle. Without looking; I’d wager that the majority of scientists, statisticians, and elitist self-described intellectuals agreed prior to 1996 as well.

This is as it should be. When it comes to matters of life-and-death; the luxury of adhering to dogmatic scientific principles isn’t always prudent. A preponderance of whatever available evidence exists, to make the most educated guess possible, sometimes has to suffice. This means considering all relevant factual data, regardless of how complete or comprehensive, and making the best judgment possible from whatever is at your disposal.

The smoking/cancer concern didn’t lend itself to laboratory testing. Identifying, let alone ruling out, all potential confounding variables is basically impossible. When one considers the observed link between smoking and alcohol use, the tendency for alcoholics (like most addicts) to lie about it, the fact that drug use is illegal, the unknown genetic predispositions, etc., etc, etc, it quickly becomes apparent that no matter how carefully you try to dissect your test group the potential for faulty information and unknowns is overwhelmingly immeasurable. And this before you even consider that some chain smokers never get cancer. (I read of a woman who lived to be 119 who credited her longevity to having the good sense to quit smoking in her 90’s. Shocked) And this is also before considering that a fair number of people who claim to have never smoked get this same cancer. The simple truth is; in 1995 there was neither a way to eliminate all potential confounding variables nor any realistic way to accurately measure the connection under varying conditions (the confounding variables essentially render this type of isolation impossible, in any realistically accurate way)… yet the underlying correlation so strongly implied causation that it demanded recognition long before that. I’d wager you, yourself, were bright enough to recognize it before 1996 too (depending on your age, of course).

I should probably mention that I appreciate your apparent change in tone, because I do. I hope I’ve reined mine in noticeably as well.

This whole convoluted tangent isn’t really terribly important to the greater discussion, anyway. The only thing I hoped to demonstrate was that no relevant facts are meaningless. Of all the things that a potential murderer might consider; I can only assume the type of punishment isn’t terribly high on his list of considerations. Off the top of my head; I’d guess (guessing at the order too, I’m sure there’s no blueprint):
1. Will I burn in Hell?
2. Does this person deserve to die (or the beating that results in death).
3. Can I live with myself if I do this thing or if I plan to do it if the situation calls for it while committing a crime?
4. Can I get away with it and/or will it help or hurt my chances of getting away with a crime? If financial motive; is it worth it (these perps likely do consider number .5 in greater numbers)?
5. What happens if I do get caught?

And even those questions only apply to potential murderers who consider the consequences at all, which I can only guess might be half. I think the DOJ said half of all murder victims are intimates, and 2/3rds of those are shot to death. Shooters who plan not to get caught, probably do consider the consequences of getting caught, as often as not. This is all guesswork, of course. I’m no Raskolnikov, but I have considered how I might behave, were I so inclined. For myself; I see very little light between a life or death sentence… though I’m sure I’d prefer life.

Again; I find the argument for prevention of recidivism a heck of a lot more compelling. Convicted murderers have killed more innocents (post conviction) than the State ever has.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 10:44 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Furthermore; laboratory definitions just don’t always stand up to reason in the real world. In the real world; people recognize that correlation can indeed imply causation. This is evidenced by the three decades of Surgeon General’s warnings based almost entirely on what dogmatic scientists, statisticians, and elitist self-described intellectuals would consider Post hoc ergo propter hoc (after this, therefore because of this). Obviously, this is considered a logical fallacy for good reason… but it is hardly an absolute.

The Surgeon General's warning was not based on post hoc ergo propter hoc.

When on finds a correlation, one makes a hypothesis. One then tests that hypothesis. Does the hypothesis then stand up to intense scrutiny?

So, smokers have a higher incidence of lung cancer than non-smokers. You then have to rule out: Are people who are likely to get cancer just more likely to smoke? Is there another behavior that causes lung cancer that is also more likely to attract smokers? Is it all kinds of cigarettes, or just a certain brand?

Causation is a very high bar to reach. Finding a correlation is just the very first step along a very long road.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
In the real world, when the consequences of failing to arrive at any conclusion can be assumed to cost human lives; reasonable people are forced to make an educated guess. For instance; most reasonable people would want a new drug taken off the market immediately if takers of same were committing suicide in crazy percentages that significantly deviated from those of competing medications. Few people, outside of those deriving income from the drug, would want to take a “let’s just wait and see” until we can actually prove causation approach, because we wouldn’t want to violate some dogmatic scientific principle. While logically sound in the laboratory; that just doesn’t always work in the real world.

But those correlating the data will work to eliminate confounding variables. They do not simply look at everyone in America, and look for a spike in the suicide rate. They drill down into the data, find just those people who started taking the drug and (hopefully) eliminate those with a prior history of mental illness. They then run calculations to see if the change in suicide rate is statistically significant, and by how much.

That's a lot more work than simply finding a correlation.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
This is as it should be. When it comes to matters of life-and-death; the luxury of adhering to dogmatic scientific principles isn’t always prudent. A preponderance of whatever available evidence exists, to make the most educated guess possible, sometimes has to suffice. This means considering all relevant factual data, regardless of how complete or comprehensive, and making the best judgment possible from whatever is at your disposal.

OK. But at the same time, you don't take junk data and claim it has some significance when it really doesn't.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
The smoking/cancer concern didn’t lend itself to laboratory testing.

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing studies about lab mice and smoking.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Identifying, let alone ruling out, all potential confounding variables is basically impossible.

No, it isn't. Difficult, yes. Impossible, no.

Edit: I mean all reasonable confounding variables.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
When one considers the observed link between smoking and alcohol use, the tendency for alcoholics (like most addicts) to lie about it, the fact that drug use is illegal, the unknown genetic predispositions, etc., etc, etc, it quickly becomes apparent that no matter how carefully you try to dissect your test group the potential for faulty information and unknowns is overwhelmingly immeasurable. And this before you even consider that some chain smokers never get cancer. (I read of a woman who lived to be 119 who credited her longevity to having the good sense to quit smoking in her 90’s. Shocked) And this is also before considering that a fair number of people who claim to have never smoked get this same cancer. The simple truth is; in 1995 there was neither a way to eliminate all potential confounding variables nor any realistic way to accurately measure the connection under varying conditions (the confounding variables essentially render this type of isolation impossible, in any realistically accurate way)… yet the underlying correlation so strongly implied causation that it demanded recognition long before that. I’d wager you, yourself, were bright enough to recognize it before 1996 too (depending on your age, of course).

Certainly, it was a difficult task. Which is why the cigarette companies were able to maintain their defense for so long. But MANY studies over a LONG period of time, all measuring DIFFERENT populations can certainly cause one to draw an inference.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
I should probably mention that I appreciate your apparent change in tone, because I do. I hope I’ve reined mine in noticeably as well.

I believe that you are the one that started the name-calling between us. I'm not holding my breath for an apology.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
This whole convoluted tangent isn’t really terribly important to the greater discussion, anyway. The only thing I hoped to demonstrate was that no relevant facts are meaningless.

I guess you and I will have to differ on what we consider relevant.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Of all the things that a potential murderer might consider; I can only assume the type of punishment isn’t terribly high on his list of considerations.

Off the top of my head; I’d guess (guessing at the order too, I’m sure there’s no blueprint):
1. Will I burn in Hell?
2. Does this person deserve to die (or the beating that results in death).
3. Can I live with myself if I do this thing or if I plan to do it if the situation calls for it while committing a crime?
4. Can I get away with it and/or will it help or hurt my chances of getting away with a crime? If financial motive; is it worth it (these perps likely do consider number .5 in greater numbers)?
5. What happens if I do get caught?

And even those questions only apply to potential murderers who consider the consequences at all, which I can only guess might be half. I think the DOJ said half of all murder victims are intimates, and 2/3rds of those are shot to death. Shooters who plan not to get caught, probably do consider the consequences of getting caught, as often as not. This is all guesswork, of course. I’m no Raskolnikov, but I have considered how I might behave, were I so inclined. For myself; I see very little light between a life or death sentence… though I’m sure I’d prefer life.

Again; I find the argument for prevention of recidivism a heck of a lot more compelling. Convicted murderers have killed more innocents (post conviction) than the State ever has.

That last is why I'm in favor of life without the possibility of parole. Especially considering the number of people who where discovered to have been wrongly convicted once DNA evidence became available.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 11:52 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I see no substantial difference between “Correlation can imply causation” and “Correlation implies there can be a cause and effect relationship.”

Correlation never, ever, ever, ever indicates, demands, suggests, or hints, in any way, that causation exists.

Correlation indicates that causation has not been ruled out. Causation can exist, but then again it might not.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 12:07 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
Causation is a very high bar to reach. Finding a correlation is just the very first step along a very long road.

D'oh! Mixed metaphor.

"Finding a correlation is just the first rung on a very tall ladder."
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 12:28 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I wonder; does your mutual admiration club agree that correlation didn’t even imply smoking causes cancer until 1996? ******* pathetic.

I didn't correct you because of some "mutual admiration club". I didn't criticize you because of any admiration for DrewDad, or even his argument. Both of you are pretty bad at arguing, and have gone all over the place with very imprecise arguments and I'm not trying to follow it because it mainly seems like a logomachy to me (e.g. "does correlation imply causation?" well sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't, and this is a very slippery bit of words to argue over).

What motivated me to correct you and criticize your intellectual honesty is the penchant you have for ratcheting up the strength of your conviction whether or not you are right. Sure, you can admit you are wrong, but it usually takes exhausting the part where you stubbornly insist you are right and whether or not you are right, the way you argue is annoying. You are a blow hard and I criticized you because of the great distaste I have for the way you argue and has nothing to do with anyone else here but you and your "blow harder" argument tactics.

It's intellectually dishonest, and that you like to toss around terms like that is doubly annoying to me, because your methods represent the antithesis to intellectual honesty.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 12:42 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
(e.g. "does correlation imply causation?" well sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't...)

Source?
DrewDad

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 12:51 pm
@DrewDad,
What is the difference between causation and correlation?

Quote:
In general, it is extremely difficult to establish causality between two correlated events or observances. In contrast, there are many statistical tools to establish a statistically significant correlation.

How, then, does one ever establish causality? This is one of the most daunting challenges of public health professionals and pharmaceutical companies. The most effective way of doing this is through a controlled study. In a controlled study, two groups of people who are comparable in almost every way are given two different sets of experiences (such one group watching soap operas and the other game shows), and the outcome is compared. If the two groups have substantially different outcomes, then the different experiences may have caused the different outcome.

There are obvious ethical limits of controlled studies " it would be problematic to take two comparable groups and make one smoke while denying cigarettes to the other in order to see if cigarette smoking really causes lung cancer. This is why epidemiological (or observational) studies are so important. These are studies in which large groups of people are followed over time, and their behavior and outcome is also observed. In these studies, it is extremely difficult (though sometimes still possible) to tease out cause and effect, versus a mere correlation.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 12:53 pm
@Robert Gentel,
New Poll Shows Correlation is Causation

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) The results of a new survey conducted by pollsters
suggest that, contrary to common scientific wisdom, correlation does in
fact imply causation. The highly reputable source, Gallup Polls, Inc.,
surveyed 1009 Americans during the month of October and asked them, "Do
you believe correlation implies causation?" An overwhelming 64% of
American's answered "YES", while only 38% replied "NO". Another 8% were
undecided. This result threatens to shake the foundations of both the
scientific and mainstream community.

"It is really a mandate from the people." commented one pundit who wished
to remain anonymous. "It says that The American People are sick and tired
of the scientific mumbo-jumbo that they keep trying to shove down our
throats, and want some clear rules about what to believe. Now that
correlation implies causation, not only is everything easier to
understand, it also shows that even Science must answer to the will of
John and Jane Q. Public."

Others are excited because this new, important result actually gives
insight into why the result occurred in the first place. "If you look at
the numbers over the past two decades, you can see that Americans have
been placing less and less faith in the old maxim 'Correlation is not
Causation' as time progresses." explained pollster and pop media icon
Sarah Purcell. "Now, with the results of the latest poll, we are able to
determine that people's lack of belief in correlation not being causal has
caused correlation to now become causal. It is a real advance in the
field of meta-epistemology."

This major philosophical advance is, surprisingly, looked on with
skepticism amongst the theological community. Rabbi Marvin Pachino feels
that the new finding will not affect the plight of theists around the
world. "You see, those who hold a deep religious belief have a thing
called faith, and with faith all things are possible. We still fervently
believe, albeit contrary to strong evidence, that correlation does not
imply causation. Our steadfast and determined faith has guided us through
thousands of years of trials and tribulations, and so we will weather this
storm and survive, as we have survived before."

Joining the theologists in their skepticism are the philosophers. "It's
really the chicken and the egg problem. Back when we had to worry about
causation, we could debate which came first. Now that correlation IS
causation, I'm pretty much out of work." philosopher-king Jesse "The Mind"
Ventura told reporters. "I've spent the last fifteen years in a heated
philosophical debate about epistemics, and then all of the sudden Gallup
comes along and says, "Average household consumption of peanut butter is
up, people prefer red to blue, and...by the way, CORRELATION IS CAUSATION.
Do you know what this means? This means that good looks actually make you
smarter! This means that Katie Couric makes the sun come up in the
morning! This means that Bill Gates was right and the Y2K bug is
Gregory's fault." Ventura was referring to Pope Gregory XIII, the 16th
century pontiff who introduced the "Gregorian Calendar" we use today, and
who we now know is to blame for the year 2000.

The scientific community is deeply divided on this matter. "It sure makes
my job a lot easier." confided neuroscientist Thad Polk. "Those who
criticize my work always point out that, although highly correlated,
cerebral blood flow is not 'thought'. Now that we know correlation IS
causal, I can solve that pesky mind-body problem and conclude that
thinking is merely the dynamic movement of blood within cerebral tissue.
This is going to make getting tenure a piece of cake!"

Anti-correlationist Travis Seymour is more cynical. "What about all the
previous correlational results? Do they get grandfathered in? Like, the
old stock market/hemline Pearson's rho is about 0.85. Does this mean
dress lengths actually dictated the stock market, even though they did it
at a time when correlation did not imply causation? And what about
negative and marginally significant correlations? These questions must be
answered before the scientific community will accept the results of the
poll wholeheartedly. More research is definitely needed."

Whether one welcomes the news or sheds a tear at the loss of the ages-old
maxim that hoped to eternally separate the highly correlated from the
causal, one must admit that the new logic is here and it's here to stay.
Here to stay, of course, until next October, when Gallup, Inc. plans on
administering the poll again. But chances are, once Americans begin
seeing the entrepeneurial and market opportunities associated with this
major philosophical advance, there will be no returning to the darker age
when causal relationships were much more difficult to detect.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 01:00 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Robert Gentel wrote:
(e.g. "does correlation imply causation?" well sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't...)

Source?

Source for what DrewDad?

When I was a child, I learned that hitting my hand with a hammer correlated with intense pain. Now I didn't know enough to establish that it caused the pain, but the correlation with the action was enough to imply (to me) that there was a causal relationship and to stop doing it.

Sometimes a good correlation is all that is needed for a reasonable person to suspect causation. Other times it's not. What on earth are you asking for a "source" for?
DrewDad

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 01:11 pm
@Robert Gentel,
You're joking, right?
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 01:14 pm
@DrewDad,
No. Like I said, there are times that a correlation can reasonably imply causation.

The first time you pressed a doorbell and heard the chime, did you investigate to see if there was real causation or did you assume that the correlation was due to causation?
DrewDad

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 02:09 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Good lord, you're demonstrating the very logical fallacy that we've been discussing.

You've seen correlations when there was a clear cause-and-effect. (Cause-and-effect causes correlation.)

The rule does not work in reverse, though. There are correlations when there is no cause-and-effect.

B is always preceded by A.

This does not mean that if you see an A you can assume anything about the letter that follows.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 02:11 pm
@DrewDad,
I think this bears repeating:

DrewDad wrote:
What does it mean if no correlation is found?
If no correlation is found, then one can rule out any kind of cause-and-effect relationship.

What does it mean if correlation is found?
If a correlation is found then one of several scenarios is in play:

1. B is dependent on A. (A change in variable A causes a change in variable B.)
2. A is dependent on B. (A change in variable B causes a change in variable A.)
3. A and B interact with each other. (A change in variable A causes a change in variable B, which causes a change in variable A, etc.) (Self-reinforcing)
4. A and B are mutually dependent on something else. (Unknown third factor)
5. The relationship between A and B is so complex that while they appear related, it is impossible to determine what the actual relationship is. (Coincidental. "Co" meaning "together" and "incident" meaning "occurance". Not coincidental meaning "accidental".)

There can be no conclusion made regarding the existence or the direction of a cause and effect relationship only from the fact that A and B are correlated.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 02:46 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
Good lord, you're demonstrating the very logical fallacy that we've been discussing.

What logical fallacy are you talking about? Or are you just tossing the term around for rhetorical effect?

Quote:
You've seen correlations when there was a clear cause-and-effect. (Cause-and-effect causes correlation.)

The rule does not work in reverse, though. There are correlations when there is no cause-and-effect.

Agreed, and I never said otherwise.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 03:13 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
What logical fallacy are you talking about? Or are you just tossing the term around for rhetorical effect?

Cum hoc, ergo propter hoc.

You see a correlation between cause-and-effect and correlation, and are claiming that correlation then says something about cause-and-effect.

A self-referential logical fallacy!
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 03:19 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad,

I never argued that the correlation is the proof of the causation. If I were to argue that pressing a doorbell correlating with its sound is proof that it causes the sound that would be the case, but I said that many times in life the correlation suggests causation that it alone can't demonstrate.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 03:38 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
I never argued that the correlation is the proof of the causation.

I am aware of this.

Robert Gentel wrote:
I said that many times in life the correlation suggests causation that it alone can't demonstrate.

And that's the misconception against which I'm arguing. This is the same misconception that leads to superstitions and things like the rituals that baseball players go through before they bat.

If a correlation is found then one of several scenarios is in play:

1. B is dependent on A. (A change in variable A causes a change in variable B.)
2. A is dependent on B. (A change in variable B causes a change in variable A.)
3. A and B interact with each other. (A change in variable A causes a change in variable B, which causes a change in variable A, etc.) (Self-reinforcing)
4. A and B are mutually dependent on something else. (Unknown third factor)
5. The relationship between A and B is so complex that while they appear related, it is impossible to determine what the actual relationship is. (Coincidental. "Co" meaning "together" and "incident" meaning "occurance". Not coincidental meaning "accidental".)

There can be no conclusion made regarding the existence or the direction of a cause and effect relationship only from the fact that A and B are correlated.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 03:47 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I'll also add this in response the the "doorbell dilemma":

It is not just a correlation between the chime and a visitor that causes you to be aware of the cause and effect.

If you stated "95% of the time my doorbell rings I have a visitor at the front door" then simply from the correlation one cannot determine if the visitor causes the door chime, or if the door chime causes the visitor.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 03:53 pm
you guys are Almost making me miss the election...

(bored a little, are we?)
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 04:08 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
And that's the misconception against which I'm arguing. This is the same misconception that leads to superstitions and things like the rituals that baseball players go through before they bat.

Sometimes it's a reasonable deduction, sometimes it isn't.

The main reason I think the bulk of this argument is silly is because of the slipperiness of the phrase you guys are fighting over:

"Does correlation imply causation?"

Sometimes it suggests it, most times it doesn't.

Quote:

It depends.

Quote:

This is an inaccurate statement. In most scenarios if there is no correlation there is no possible causation. So the mere existence of a correlation allows you to conclude that a causal relationship is possible. This can be useful to the process of elimination.

For example, allergies are hard to pin down to an allergen. The best way to do this would be skin tests or blood tests but something that can help narrow it down is correlation.

If I never ate peanuts, then it can be eliminated as a cause. If I always took aspirin before the allergic reaction that would be the first thing I'd want to test.

There is a relationship between correlation and causation DrewDad, it's not nearly as strong as most people treat it and that's why there's a lot of "correlation does not equal causation" rules in logic. But saying there is no relationship is also an overstatement.

There is a relationship between correlation and causation and correlation is often used to help narrow down the items to test against causation.

All of that being said, the graph Bill posted doesn't provide much insight. We already know that it's theoretically possible for capital punishment to decrease crime, so showing a correlation doesn't give us any new information.

It doesn't tell us much because the direction of the relationship is not established. For example, as murder rates rise perhaps they trigger harsher law enforcement and punishment (including capital punishment) and perhaps it's the harsher law enforcement that is reducing the murder rate. Perhaps the increase in the murder rate is what triggers society to re-institute the capital punishment and the other elements of their response to the crime wave (increased incarceration, more police etc) might be responsible for the subsequent reduction in the murder rate.

This is not something I'm arguing with you, but being dogmatic about correlation not having anything to say about causation is as wrongheaded as thinking that it always does.

Correlation does say something about causation, it doesn't say that it is there but it does say something about the likelihood of it being there.

After all, with no correlation there's often no possibility of causation so at the very least it's something you can use in the process of elimination.