man announces to the media that he wants to kill people.

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 07:10 am
Shouldn't we try to stop him?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,808 • Replies: 45
No top replies

greenumbrella

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 07:14 am
Are you referring to George Bush or Tony "Poodle" Blair?
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 08:33 am
Admirable guesses. Actually I'm talking about Mitt Romney, Governor of the Commonwealth of Massachussetss, who wants to reinstate the death penalty.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 08:35 am
He made a good case for it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 09:22 am
Sometimes irony just rusts on the vine...
0 Replies

saintsfanbrian

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 09:34 am
Another case of Able2Know threads being started with the sheer intent of "confusing" the reader. Had this article been started with Massachusettes Governor wants to re-instate the death penalty, either it would have had better debate, or it would have been overlooked.

Way to go sensationalizing the fact that the governor wants to use the legal process to end the lives of people who probably deserve it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 09:35 am
dlowan wrote:
Sometimes irony just rusts on the vine...

Nice phrasing.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 09:36 am
"Probably"?

If you're gonna kill 'em, shouldn't it at least be definite that they deserve it?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 09:38 am
I believe that the Gov. stated that as being the case, yes.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 09:40 am
I was referring to this:

saintsfanbrian wrote:
Way to go sensationalizing the fact that the governor wants to use the legal process to end the lives of people who probably deserve it.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 09:42 am
topic also engaged here...
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23461&start=0
0 Replies

saintsfanbrian

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 09:54 am
Soz - I was only generalizing the person that it is going to be used as a sentence for. The premeditated murder of another human being with out justice (in other words a wife shoots her husband because he is cheating on her) is grounds for a death penalty in my book. (There the justice comes in: arrest, trial, sentencing, carrying out of the sentence)

I do not think that innocent people should be put to death, generally the people that have 1st degree murder charges against them, have committed other crimes and will likely commit more in the future if they are not stopped.

Then again, I am all for removing warning labels from products and letting mother nature balance things out for her self.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 10:00 am
Quote:
Then again, I am all for removing warning labels from products and letting mother nature balance things out for her self.

I used to hold this same opinion. But recent Hubble deep space photos have revealed that, near the very beginning of the universe, there was a big sign that read, "Danger! God At Work". It should have stayed up.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 10:01 am
That's cool that you don't want innocent people put to death. Me neither. Problem is, in the current system, they sometimes are.

(Go see blatham's link, I think I've already said what I have to say there... or was it the Gov. Ryan thread?)
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 10:17 am
Brian... I said what I said for a reason. Personally, if faced with the choice of execution or life imprisonment w/o parole... I'd chose execution.

I've not taken a public stand on the death penalty before... I find myself increasingly annoyed at Mr. Romney. Favoring the death penalty, yet opposing abortion seem mutually incompatible, if you look at it as two ends of the same life. Oops, didn't mean to drag in another hot-button, but you know what I mean.

One class of criminal he seeks to execute is the political terrorist. Yet, time and time again, the political terrorist is more than willing to throw his (or her) life away for the cause. But is not using a political platform to try, convict, and sentence without trial just a form of political terrorism?

So... what to do with the most heineous of individuals? Throw 'em in a hole and leave 'em there.
0 Replies

saintsfanbrian

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 10:27 am
And who pays for that hole? I also don't see where people cannot understand the difference between the death penalty and abortion. These are not two sides of the same coin. One is a life that doesn't have a chance to even be born. One is a person who threw away their life, or had it revoked by society.

I don't agree with a death penalty with out a trial. I think that if the government is going to revoke some ones right to breathe, there better be due process.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 10:29 am
saintsfanbrian wrote:
And who pays for that hole?

Well, obviously you and I, the tax payers. But the appropriate hole need not cost more than the staggering amount of 'due process' required.
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 11:24 am
Ah yes, Gov. Mitt Romney.

This is the same Mitt Romney who proposed cuts to Massachussetts Medicaid program, as well as the elimination of the state's discount prescription drug program for seniors and people with disabilities.

This is the same Mitt Romney who proposed restricting Medicaid care for approximately 60,000 people with disabilities, as well as implement a hefty co-payment for Medicaid drugs that would hit the very poorest in the state the hardest. This is in addition to implementing eligibility restrictions and limits on all Medicaid prescription drug coverage.

But the carnage didn't stop there, no, Romney went on to propose the elimination of $11 million Family Health Services program, which provides primary care, family planning and high-risk infant care to tens of thousands of families, and cut $7.2 million from Massachussett's AIDS services.

The only question is, why would the good people of Massachussetts vote for a Republican?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 11:35 am
infowarrior wrote:
The only question is, why would the good people of Massachussetts vote for a Republican?

Perhaps because the Democrat that was running against him couldn't come up with any reason to vote for her besides the fact that she was a woman? (oh wait, she did propose repainting the color of the toll booths on the MA Turnpike... Rolling Eyes )
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 11:53 am
fishin

Here's a little piece I thought you might find of interest. Being a kind man, I pass it on only out of my intrinsic goodness. The Mill quote is included by mere chance.

Quote:
Mr. McDonald's book is, after all, the first monograph devoted to the thought of one of the founding fathers of postwar conservatism in the United States. It was Kirk's landmark study The Conservative Mind (1953) that provided activists on the right with a sense that their movement had inherited a serious intellectual legacy -- rather than merely being, as the liberal philosopher John Stuart Mill put it in 1861, "the stupid party."

http://chronicle.com/free/v50/i35/35a01801.htm
0 Replies