Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 04:25 pm
Is it just me or is the over the top reactions of cjhsa and omsigdavid concern you? I understand disappointment at your candidate's loss but the anger and despair (respectively) shown by these two suggests that logical thought process are not key to their political beliefs. These people were so pro-McCain, but show nothing of his grace in accepting the electoral verdict.

I'm certain that these two are not the most extreme cases of their ilk in American society.

Should I be worried that the group that actively resents Obama's presidency to the point of mindless hatred and abject fear is the same group that fetishizes guns AND has a loose grip on reality?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 16 • Views: 4,655 • Replies: 68
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 04:28 pm
@hingehead,
I am guessing, very sadly, that Obama may well be targeted by extremists.

I don't know that it is right to name people here in such a matter, but in general I think you are right.
msolga

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 04:37 pm
@dlowan,
Right now I think McCain/Bush & co. have an important responsibility to diffuse the hatred of the Republican far right. Some of the over-the-top advertising & rhetoric in the campaign seemed downright inciteful. I'm certainly concerned about what could happen.
hingehead

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 04:39 pm
@dlowan,
I'm not suggesting that cj and david would do anythign like that but they would admit to be right wingers, and their reactions to the Obama have been quite over the top. I think there are plenty of American much further to the right than those two - and I worry about what their reactions will be. C & D are merely my canaries in a coalmine and I mean no offense to them. Besides, anyone can read their threads and see how they feel.

I thought it was interesting that David says 'america doesn't exist anymore', I suffered through 4 Howard election victories (and I really really dislike Howard, still) - after the Tampa election I would never have said 'Australia doesn't exist', I said 'Australia exists and I don't like what it's become' and toyed with the idea of finding a country whose politics and national character appealed.

It's the disconnect with reality that worries me.
rabel22

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 05:20 pm
@msolga,
You mean the way the Obamites defused the hatred of Bill and Hillery.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:01 pm
@hingehead,
Many of us have had that fear for more than a year now. What eases our worry is that the Obamas are well aware of the possibility and continued to put themselves out there anyway.

That's a bravery just as important to that of John McCain's prisoner of war heroism. If they're both willing to do that for the love of their country, the least I can do is vote for one of them.

I personally, feel I may have signed Barack's death warrant by doing so, but I wasn't about to let that stop me from the work I did to ensure the grassroots movement we started lives long after his presidency, for however long that ends up being. It was never about him, it was about us.

This is our chance to prove to ourselves as Americans that the democratic spirit of our founding fathers and constitution are not just brief footnotes in the world's history. It is going to take all of us to ensure the strength of our democracy's longevity.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:10 pm
Of course, the Secret Service are over Obama and family like stink on poop, although that doesn't mean they wouldn't be targeted. But as for the two gobshites you mentioned, that's just gas. Their lives won't change essentially, and probably won't change even in petty details. From now to inauguration day, Obama will be far less of a public figure than he was during his campaign, so it will be that much harder for a nut case to get at him. The two you mentioned are just a couple of whiney kids--they love their comfort too much to put it at risk by reckless action. That, in the end, is the best assurance that no nutjob will take a pot shot at Obama. What would be far more dangerous would be someone who really is over the edge, but who retains enough intelligence (not evident in either of the two you mentioned) to convince himself that he's clever enough to pull it off and get away with it. Such an individual might try for a long range shot such as Oswald took, and be convinced he could get away clean. I seriously doubt that anyone could get away with it, but the damage would be done, even though the idiot would be caught.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:15 pm
i'm not worried about people who post their rants on a discussion forum.

it's the quiet ones you have to watch. just like in anything else.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:18 pm
They don't like Obama because he's black. They'll get over it.
hingehead

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:30 pm
Thanks to you all for your thoughts - but I want to reiterate the Ceej and David don't worry me, for a bunch of the reasons you've all mentioned, but I think they are litmus paper for a scary section of society, like I said they are nowhere near the most extremist part of that section, but if they feel the way they do what about the real nutjobs?

That's nice sentiment BFly, I only hope it turns out the way you hope.

S'funny how one election result suddenly gives the USA cache around the planet, regardless of what's happened in the past. I hope everyone's optimism isn't completely dashed in the near future.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:36 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:

I am guessing, very sadly, that Obama may well be targeted by extremists.

I don't know that it is right to name people here in such a matter,
but in general I think you are right.

Pointless.
An exercise in futility.
Oboy woud not be significantly worse than Biden, nor Ms. Pelosi.

David
Rockhead

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:38 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Agreed, that is the chess game that has been won here.

Thank you for pointing this out in an unpartisan manor, Dave...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:40 pm
@NickFun,
Quote:

Its not just that.
Tho, ordinarily, I 'd much rather have a white President,
if Biden ran against Condi, I 'd vote for Condi.

What counts most is the results.
Setanta

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:41 pm
Since you don't know the results, can't know the results, when the man hasn't even been sworn in, why are you havin' an hysterical fit all over the threads?

Goofball.
hingehead

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:18 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
dave wrote:
What counts most is the results.

This is the bit that gets me - I'm assuming he means a democrat got more votes than a republican? That if only 46% of people voted for the republican then clearly the country has gone down the toilet? David is living proof that MENSA base membership on IQs and not intelligence.

Some Australian commentator said that a stool with an elephant sticker on it would have polled as well as McCain because there is a core that will always vote republican, as a matter of faith (and no doubt there are those who go the same way democrat) but I think that sort of behaviour is brainless. If you're not considering the context and content of each election then your vote is wasted.

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:24 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OMGDave wrote:

nick wrote:

Its not just that.

Holy ******* ****. I used to think Dave was just socially incompetent - but I find that response repulsive. I though Nick was just joking. Dave picks presidents the same way he pick his t-shirts? Based on colour? I'm shocked.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:26 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:

Since you don't know the results, can't know the results,
when the man hasn't even been sworn in,
why are you havin' an hysterical fit all over the threads?

Because we know that he is HARD LEFT.
Not even Ted Kennedy is on his left.
It is only the specifics that we don 't know.

Getting back to June 14th, 1940:
the French may not have known the fine points of detail
that their new guests had in mind,
but a lot of Frenchmen had a bad feeling about trouble heading down the road.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:29 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:

Goofball.

R we back to that again ?
Who was it that wanted to bury the hatchet ?

I m feeling kinda mello tonight, contemplating the death of America,
but I will not always be.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:31 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
"but a lot of Frenchmen had a bad feeling about trouble heading down the road."

Dave, are you a whine expert as well?

(I got some french rifles to sell...)
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:36 pm