Rockhead
 
  1  
Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:43 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
glad you agree...










(stalemate?)
0 Replies
 
Wilso
 
  1  
Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:51 pm
I'm concerned too. I already heard discussion amongst our local commentators that he's going to be, by necessity, the most protected US president in history. I suspect the secret service have been making contingency plans for this eventuality for a number of months.
0 Replies
 
okie
 
  2  
Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:59 pm
@hingehead,
I think there are always a few crazies out there, both left and right. Hey, Bill Ayers tried to kill people, and he did.

Be that as it may, I sincerely hope no harm comes to Obama, for his sake and the country's sake, because if it did happen, it would only cause more division and violence. Instead of this grand catharsis some people seem to feel now, it would only make the wounds bigger and harder to heal.

99% of the opposition to Obama is not personal, it is purely political.
MontereyJack
 
  1  
Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 12:07 am
You should probably check your sources' veracity, okie. Ayers did NOT try to kill people, and in fact he DID NOT. He in fact tried specifically to attack property, NOT people, as a protest against the war.
okie
 
  1  
Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 12:16 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

You should probably check your sources' veracity, okie. Ayers did NOT try to kill people, and in fact he DID NOT. He in fact tried specifically to attack property, NOT people, as a protest against the war.

Okay, if you say so. Were you there?
0 Replies
 
MontereyJack
 
  1  
Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 12:19 am
At the time I did know people involved with the Weather underground. Did you?
0 Replies
 
DontTreadOnMe
 
  1  
Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 11:08 am
as far as i remember, the activities of the weathermen were focused on buildings, not people. i think they gave advance warnings to clear the buildings. in any case, i wasn't in favor of their violent form of protest. using violent protest for peace is like stupping for virginity. can ya dig it? then, like now, the war didn't end until enough americans got fed up with it and, together, pressured the government to bring it to an end.

but that being said, let me ad this idea;

the '60s are over folks. both sides lost, get over it. move on.


parados
 
  1  
Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 11:17 am
@okie,
It appears you have killed as many people with bombs as Ayers did okie.

It is personal when it involves statements that are only supported by the personal stupidity of the people making them.
okie
 
  1  
Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 11:23 am
@DontTreadOnMe,
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

as far as i remember, the activities of the weathermen were focused on buildings, not people. i think they gave advance warnings to clear the buildings. in any case, i wasn't in favor of their violent form of protest. using violent protest for peace is like stupping for virginity. can ya dig it? then, like now, the war didn't end until enough americans got fed up with it and, together, pressured the government to bring it to an end.

but that being said, let me ad this idea;

the '60s are over folks. both sides lost, get over it. move on.

It aint over until we put the people responsible for it in the rear view mirror, and we still have some of the ugly faces popping up over the hood, thanks to the election.
okie
 
  1  
Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 11:25 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

It appears you have killed as many people with bombs as Ayers did okie.

It is personal when it involves statements that are only supported by the personal stupidity of the people making them.

Another Ayers defender. Unbelievable. Get lost, loser.
parados
 
  1  
Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 11:27 am
@okie,
If you have facts or evidence of Ayers or the Weathermen killing anyone, then present it.

Since you don't have any such evidence, who really is the loser?
0 Replies
 
DontTreadOnMe
 
  1  
Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 11:33 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

It aint over until we put the people responsible for it in the rear view mirror, and we still have some of the ugly faces popping up over the hood, thanks to the election.


if you want to live in the past, be my guest. you certainly have that right.

just like the guys walking around waving the cbf and hollerin' "hell no, i won't fergit!"
   http://www.confederatemerchandise.com/car%20tag%20forget%20hell.JPG

it's been real sucessful for them too...

Bella Dea
 
  1  
Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 11:42 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Its not just that.
Tho, ordinarily, I 'd much rather have a white President,
if Biden ran against Condi, I 'd vote for Condi.

What counts most is the results.


Well, I think that says it all.
0 Replies
 
okie
 
  1  
Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 12:13 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DTOM,
I would like to put people into the past that have been part of the problem. I am more than happy to forget, unless they keep popping up in current affairs.
That is one big reason why Kerry lost, narrowly, he never fully disavowed his pathetic record from the 60's and 70's, he still clung to his 60's mindset. I think there is still alot of it around, DTOM, with all due respect to what you say, and I am more than happy to put it behind us when the key people and attitudes are no longer pushing their agendas. I don't think we can say that at all.

I think this country has never really recovered from the 60's political fallout, it is still falling out, in somewhat different forms, but still happening. It is manifesting itself through rebellion against moral constraints and traditional American values. The culture war continues. It is manifested right here with a seeming emotional attachment to a figure like Ayers. Instead of repudiating him and all that he did, instead posters here repudiate me, a person that has consistently stood for honorable and traditional American values.
Brandon9000
 
  1  
Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 12:15 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Is it just me or is the over the top reactions of cjhsa and omsigdavid concern you? I understand disappointment at your candidate's loss but the anger and despair (respectively) shown by these two suggests that logical thought process are not key to their political beliefs. These people were so pro-McCain, but show nothing of his grace in accepting the electoral verdict.

I'm certain that these two are not the most extreme cases of their ilk in American society.

Should I be worried that the group that actively resents Obama's presidency to the point of mindless hatred and abject fear is the same group that fetishizes guns AND has a loose grip on reality?


How did liberals, in general, react to George Bush's election? Gracefully, would you say?
blueveinedthrobber
 
  1  
Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 12:20 pm
@Brandon9000,
did they talk of killing him?
Brandon9000
 
  1  
Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 12:23 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

did they talk of killing him?

Wasn't there some movie about that? Anyway, let's hope that no one gets that hysterical. The Constitution provides for an orderly, periodic transfer of power, and that's all that's happening.
0 Replies
 
cjhsa
 
  1  
Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 12:46 pm
@hingehead,
I was most definitely not pro-McCain, but he was the only capitalist running between the two major parties.

cjhsa
 
  0  
Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 12:49 pm
@cjhsa,
The real question is, if al queda nuked D.C. on inauguration day, would anyone even care?

I'm not so sure I would. With a socialist closet muslim as president-elect, it would seem the country has abandoned its founding principals.
0 Replies
 
DontTreadOnMe
 
  1  
Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 01:06 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:
It is manifesting itself through rebellion against moral constraints and traditional American values. The culture war continues.


i read, and understood your post.

i'm trying to think of the right way to put this, because i'm not interested in offending you on this topic. maybe this is the right wording?

"things change."

i say it that way because, it seems like you are old enough to have experienced some of the '60s and '70s stuff personally, if only in a "saw it on t.v." way?

because of where i lived, which was louisville, kentucky, that was for the most part how i experienced the national events. while i was part of the local underground scene, mostly through my playing in a couple of popular bands; i also was involved in the start up of one of the local "underground papers". in any case, i was on the side that had grown up with the vietnam war and did not believe that we were involved in something that needed to be. obviously, there were two sides to that coin.

but, you should consider what i posted to you first; the "revolution" had two sides as well. some believed that peaceful protest and civil disobedience was called for. that was what i was about.

the other side felt that the only way to get the attention needed to end the war was through direct action. that was the approach of the weathermen, and to a lesser extent the more militant guys in the sds.

to put sort of a clear face on the thing, some, like myself, thought that peacefully taking over a campus building was okay. others, like the weathermen were more interested in blowing it up.

same motives, much different activities. can you see the difference?

the same could be said about what was called the "pro-war" people. in my travels around the region for gigs, we were often met, alternately, with curious stares or down right hostility. luckily, since we were basically just long haired country boys, we also felt inclined to defend ourselves. much to the dismay of more than one bat waving redneck. can't tell a book and all of that. sounds contradictory, doesn't it? but being for peaceful existence doesn't include allowing yourself to be bludgeoned in my book.

by the way, several years ago, i decided to grow my hair again for kicks. and when i go to our family home in tennessee, i may get a couple of dirty looks, maybe 2 or 3 in the last 10 years, but nobody takes it much farther than that anymore.

things change.

and that's where i'm going with this...

you are viewing current events in a much different light than younger people are now.

most young people are more concerned with their lives and issues that effect them than they are with getting involved in their parents or grandparents culture wars. a lot of the stuff that you and i may care about is of little interest to them beyond recycling a little of the music and clothes a bit.

if nothing else, they've got their own problems. many of which you and i didn't have to deal with. such as, where the hell am i going to get a job that will pay enough to pay off the student loan and hopefully be able to buy a white picket fence. that doesn't leave a lot of time to worry about hippies and rednecks in their world. and at this point, it is their world.

things change. whether we like it or not. so the choice is to either change with them or cease to be relevant.

for myself, i'd rather go with the flow and enjoy life than sit around bemoaning the good old days.

any way, i hope you understand what i'm saying to you and take it in the spirit it's offered.




 

Related Topics

Obama '08? - Discussion by sozobe
Let's get rid of the Electoral College - Discussion by Robert Gentel
McCain's VP: - Discussion by Cycloptichorn
Food Stamp Turkeys - Discussion by H2O MAN
The 2008 Democrat Convention - Discussion by Lash
McCain is blowing his election chances. - Discussion by McGentrix
Snowdon is a dummy - Discussion by cicerone imposter
GAFFNEY: Whose side is Obama on? - Discussion by gungasnake
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Grassy Knoll 2?
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2020 at 11:48:08