Which Breed Should the New First Dog Be?

cjhsa

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 09:18 am
@OGIONIK,
OGIONIK wrote:

i wasnt aware of abuse...

What a bunch of suckers. Affection would get them 100 times farther than torture. i swear when my dog is pulling weight, she does it for me.

Razz

Dude, stop falling for every animal rights nutbag line of BS.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 09:50 am
What breed is this charmer? guessing English spaniel..
 http://www.greenpire.com/english/8weeks/Bingo8wekl.JPG

I'm allergic to dogs and cats, dogs somewhat less but not by much. I have been allergic to a poodle, a poodle named Marvel to be specific. The dogs I've been least allergic to were Pacco, whom many of you know was a corgi, and a friend's doberman, Pacco being less allergenic to me, odd given that he was a hair factory par excellance. Alas, a dog associated with an english queen would seem not the right choice.

Wonder about the Samoyed, re the Washington summertime heat, but that is sure a great smile..

I think a mutt from the humane society (etc) would be a terrific idea - but there are mutts and mutts and knowing somewhat what you are looking for could be smart before you walk in a shelter door and lose your heart..

I haven't personally known any greyhounds but I hear great things about them, and am all for their rescue. Remember Lord Ellpus's greyhound, Guinness?

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 10:11 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

The dogs I've been least allergic to were Pacco, whom many of you know was a corgi, and a friend's doberman, Pacco being less allergenic to me, odd given that he was a hair factory par excellance.

You know, my sister has a similar allergy with cats. She's fine with long hairs but not short hairs.

But that dog is seriously adorable.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 12:26 pm
@Merry Andrew,
And circuses and aquariums having whale/dolphin/seal shows and seeing eye dogs and police dogs and teaching your pets tricks or house training them.

A better thought would be to improve regulations to prevent abuse - otherwise you would need to ban all sorts of animal being used for "human purposes."
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 12:27 pm
@Green Witch,
But does this make it right - just because they may be treated better - I'm for making sure they are not abused, but banning an industry may not be best - making sure the animals are cared for is more important.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 12:28 pm
@jespah,
Not the one upstairs from him - he runs around at 8:00 on the weekend when I want to sleep - I'm all for abusing him!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 12:29 pm
I think a turkey - they are very American!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 12:31 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Actually, what Greenwhich tells us about racing dogs sounds a lot like what my sister A. tells me about racing horses. Perhaps the people who like horse races have more political muscle than the people who like dog races?

Really? I've been around horses for four years, but in Slovakia. Have been through a number of stables in that time and didn't encounter abuse.
When it comes to horses I would outlaw using them for carriages when they have to spend large amounts of time on cement - that does incredible damage to the hoofs, which can split and get infected, and it takes a long long time to heal... Hoofs are not built for cement. Hate the touristy carriages in the town and the dumb smiling people atop them.

I do hope Obamas get a rescue pound dog, breed or no breed, I don't care.
cjhsa

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 12:37 pm
@dagmaraka,
Whatever it is, it's gotta be black.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k51/cjhsa/skyler.jpg
cjhsa

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 03:03 pm
@cjhsa,
How about a gay gorilla?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 03:55 pm
msnbc is running a voting poll on what breed it should be. Pound puppy rescue dog is running almost 3 to 1 ahead of the second favorite (lab). I voted for the pound puppy.
FatBastard

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 11:46 am
@MontereyJack,
I vote for several pounds of puppy!!!

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 05:31 pm
@ossobuco,
This cutie is a border collie - here are more pictures of him and his brothers/sisters. They are all adorable.

http://www.greenpire.com/english/index3.htm
ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 06:17 pm
@CalamityJane,
Oh! I like them a lot. Guess I haven't seen many border collie puppies. I think Sandpaw, my first dog, ahh, found on the railroad tracks as a puppy, was part border collie. He was considered a "Venice Shepherd", a local name for mutts of certain distinct descriptions.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 01:52 pm
In the news today, the leading candidate seems to be an animal shelter dog, because Obama said a shelter dog is likely to be "a mutt like me". When people have asked me "where I'm from", i.e. where my ancestors came from, for years I've tended to say, "I'm kind of a mutt", since they came from at least six different countries that I know of, and I think of myself as an American, not a Welsh-American, or a Swiss German American, and, yes, I'm a mutt, and maybe a mutt should be our national animal, since that's what most of us are, not a bald eagle, and, goddamn, I'm PROUD I voted for that man.
0 Replies

Deckland

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 11:20 pm
A TIMEX would be a good choice

They're a really good watch dog .
ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 05:52 pm
Bit of a tangent for this thread, but a neat photo, to me.. (and, besides, I like the chair and ottoman).

from blog.magnumphotos.com -

http://blog.magnumphotos.com/images/PAR33584_Comp_2.jpg

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 09:51 pm
@Deckland,
Deckland wrote:

A TIMEX would be a good choice

They're a really good watch dog .

What's a timex? I think they will have enough people watching them at
the White House, they don't need a watch dog additionally.
NickFun

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 12:12 am
@CalamityJane,
There may be that stealthy crook who sneaks past all the security and manages to find his way to the Obama bedroom only to have his plot foiled by the trusty watchdog! That would make good press.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 02:39 am
Does Jane really not know what a timex is, or is she just funnin' us?