Should we all hide our wallets? What do you think?

spendius

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 02:15 pm
@DrewDad,
It's all drivel isn't it. What exactly is Obama's tax plan then?
DrewDad

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 02:17 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

What exactly is Obama's tax plan then?

Click. On. The. Links. In. My. Previous. Post.

Read.

Come. Back. If. You. Have. Something. Others. Might. Find. Minutely. Interesting.
Woiyo9

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 02:20 pm
@spendius,
It is an ever evolving plan..

John McCain accused his Democratic rivals on Tuesday of steadily downgrading their definition of the middle class in an effort to hit more voters with tax increases.

"We can't let that happen," the Republican presidential nominee told a Pennsylvania audience.

Barack Obama has consistently said that families making less than $250,000 a year will not see a tax increase under his administration. He also says those making under $200,000 will see a tax cut.

But Obama's running mate, Joe Biden, told a Scranton, Pa., TV station on Monday that Obama's tax break "should go to middle class people -- people making under $150,000 a year."

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/28/mccain-obamas-definition-rich-creeping/comments/

Watch tomorrow for the next episode of OBAMA"S PLAN CHANGES AGAIN!!!
DrewDad

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 02:24 pm
@Woiyo9,
That's the best the opposition can come up with?

Barack Obama: Tax cuts for families making less than $200,000.

Biden: Cuts should go to those making less than $150,000.

OMG! A rift! A flip-flop! (but not really)
rosborne979

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 02:25 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Come. Back. If. You. Have. Something. Others. Might. Find. Minutely. Interesting.

Don't hold your breath.

DrewDad

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 02:27 pm
@rosborne979,
Thus my inclusion of the words "others might find."
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 03:34 pm
The one thing that bothers me with setting up a bracket of income for those that get greater tax cuts depending on their annual income is depending on where you live, $100k could be rich whereas some where else $100k is getting by.

In NYC you have a family of 4 with $100k it is difficult to live. In Montana (having family there) you could live very well.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 03:41 pm
@Linkat,
Yeah, Obama's plan will kill the American dream for the masses.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 03:51 pm
@candidone1,
I agree in a certain aspects if my money was going to:

"help out a single woman who decided to leave her husband ... help out an individual with a mental disorder ....help out an ex drug addict get the wheels on his life turning... help make my roads better, safer or my neighborhood cleaner, etc." My concern is it? How many are abusing this - I've witnessed this abuse first hand at Thanksgiving time down the street from my parents' house, they give out turkeys to those that are "poor" - they are supposed to have some sort of proof. Low and behold, a woman parks her brand new expensive car and gets in line - could see be borrowing said car, highly unlikely as you can tell by her outfit (worth more than the damn turkey) that she can well afford more than I can.
spendius

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 05:51 pm
@Linkat,
Poor bloody turkeys. The dignity of our feathered friends eh? I'd rather be a blue-tit than a turkey.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 01:12 am
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

You mean one of the successful.

i mean what i said. but then i guess you have to be one of the people that has taken a chance on themselves to understand that.

i mean, you get it that even gazzillionaire donald trump went broke at one point don't you? so what?

for a guy that's all about guns and constitution and freedom and alla that you don't seem to really understand "live free or die" very well.

it isn't about money. it's about attitude. loosen up, bro. your guts are going to feel a lot better that way.

just saying that as a friend.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 01:28 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

DrewDad wrote:

You're conflating corporate tax with personal income tax.

Obama plans to reduce corporate taxes for small businesses.

For all small business? Or only those earning under $250,000? The question Joe the Plumber asked him--you know the question that has had him investigated and discredited and dragged through the mud?--was exactly that.

sorry foxy, but i gotta call it on this one. i've seen the full video clip and joe the media hmm-hmm made his way to obama. not the other way around.

and besides; i'd never heard of joe the "i'm tired of the limelight, can you get me another show, can i run for congress" the plumber until mack brought the guy up.

He hoped to acquire a small business and if it was successful, wouldn't he be penalized for that under Obama's plan? And Obama replied with the now famous line, "We want to spread the wealth around."

what business? it's a guy that's the real plumber and his "guy", joe, the not boss guy. i've got a plumber like joe's boss. he's great. knows what he's talking about. which is why he gets one of his guys (more than one "joe" there) to climb under the house instead. since he's a friend of my nephew, "doug the electrician", i know that he's not making $250k a year in personal income.

I think Obama fully expects to hang it in the ear of any small business that earns over $250,000. Those small business owners I mentioned that I've talked to here all believe he will do that too.

then your friends haven't been listening. jeez, he just explained it again today.

0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 06:19 am
@DrewDad,
What do you mean "not really". How stupid do you have to be to see that Obama has no plan, except for telling whoever he is speaking to whatever it is they want to hear.

So what is the plan cap? 200K, 250K, 150K?40K?
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 06:20 am
@rosborne979,
Exactly, moron. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 06:32 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

How many threads are you Republicans going to post about this?

Obama's going to win and your taxes are going to go up, if you make more than 250k or so. Get used to it and quit bitching about it.

Cycloptichorn

So, the whole idea that people have the right to discuss affairs of the day that concern them has kind of passed you by?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 06:33 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:
Redistribution of wealth isn't just a concept any more.

Was it ever just a concept?

Wealth redistribution happens all the time.

I think her point was that it's unfair.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 06:45 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

This isn't the fairgrounds, this is the real world.

Wealth redistribution happens all the time. If it didn't, all of the assets would end up in the hands of a few, they'd pay thugs to keep everyone else in line, and everyone else would be serfs. (And the economy would grind to a halt.)

That's the way it was for thousands of years; I have no reason to expect it would be any different today. (And it isn't any different in many parts of the world.)

The biggest threat to Capitalism is successful capitalists.

"Wealth redistribution" (which I don't recall Obama actually saying) actually fuels the engine of the economy, and ends up generating more wealth, which is why our standard of living keeps going up.
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 06:49 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

This isn't the fairgrounds, this is the real world.

Wealth redistribution happens all the time. If it didn't, all of the assets would end up in the hands of a few, they'd pay thugs to keep everyone else in line, and everyone else would be serfs. (And the economy would grind to a halt.)

That's the way it was for thousands of years; I have no reason to expect it would be any different today. (And it isn't any different in many parts of the world.)

The biggest threat to Capitalism is successful capitalists.

"Wealth redistribution" (which I don't recall Obama actually saying) actually fuels the engine of the economy, and ends up generating more wealth, which is why our standard of living keeps going up.

I was discussing the morality of the thing. Obviously, the citizens have to chip in to keep the government and it's programs going, but I think it's immoral to go beyond this by asking the rich to shoulder a much, much larger share of the burden in terms of the percentage of income taxed. It simply isn't right to go and steal people's possessions simly because they have them and you have the muscle to take them away. This whole right and wrong thing seems not to be a very big part of your outlook. Didn't someone at some point in your life tell you that it's wrong to steal, no matter what form it takes?
DrewDad

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 06:52 am
@Brandon9000,
So your beef is with progressive taxation in general. Can I see your alternate proposal?

Also, please explain the morality of having poor people pay a larger percentage of their income in taxes than rich people. (Which is what happens with things like sales tax, gasoline tax, etc.)
Brandon9000

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 06:56 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

So your beef is with progressive taxation in general. Can I see your alternate proposal?

My alternate proposal is to tax everyone at the same rate, with a minimum of loopholes, and excepting the really poor, who ought to get a total pass. Excepting the really poor is as far as I think we ought to go in making a tax unequal. Beyond that, I think it ought to be flat.

If there must be a progressive tax, it becomes more unfair as it becomes more progressive. At the very least, it shouldn't be wildly inequitable.

Don't try to find an internal contradiction in my position, because there isn't one, and it will just waste time. Simply tell me why you disagree with what I advocate.