You guys are like wolves

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 05:24 pm
@spendius,
Can someone give me a ride to Taco Bell?
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 05:41 pm
@realjohnboy,
I was surprised to read that my 1931 version of The Joy of Cooking has no listing for Opossum in the index. My 1975 edition does have possum, squirrel, porcupine, raccoon, muskrat, woodchuck, beaver and armadillo.
Under possum: "If possible, trap possum and feed it on milk and cereals for 10 days before killing. Clean, but do not skin. (Immerse) in water just below the boiling point. Test frequently by plucking at the hair. When it slips out readily, remove the opossum from the water and scrape...Remove small red glands in small of the back and under each foreleg...Roast as for pork"
0 Replies

Wally Tea

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 07:45 pm
@chai2,
Thanks for the recipe, Chai. Gus is here in the tent with me. He keeps asking if I saw a movie called "Brokeback Mountain". What the hell is that all about?
islandgirl

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 07:55 pm
@Wally Tea,
Again primeval instincts what about "Wolf". with Jack Nickolson.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 05:58 am
@Wally Tea,
No idea Wally.

Just don't turn your back on him.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 04:11 pm
A few random thoughts on Roadkill - Deer from the Albemarle County (my place) Office of the VA Dept of Transportation (VDOT):
During most of the year, authorities collect about 3 dead deer a day that have collided with cars. In October & November, the number rises to 18 a day. The reasons for this are that it is mating season and the deer are also trying to bulk up their weight for winter. In addition, VDOT mows about a 6-foot swath along rural, windy roads to increase visibility and the new growth that sprouts up is very high in protein. That attracts deer. The most dangerous time is at dawn and dusk, which I mentioned before.
Many cars here are eqipped with deer whistles. They look like thimbles that are perhaps an inch in diameter and are attached to the front bumper. They (supposedly) emit a sound that is inaudible to humans but will, it is suggested, cause the deer to run when the car is still a 100 or so yards away. VDOT says that they have no evidence that these devices work.
So, there. Aren't you glad you asked? Um, you say you didn't ask? Oh. Sorry.
DixiePup

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 08:23 pm
@islandgirl,
hopefully everyone is now reminded to help each other with a positive outlook. i know i am a positive person and that is what I feed off of.
Izzie

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 08:29 pm
@DixiePup,
lots of posipeeps around her DixiePup... stick around... good folk this A2K bunch!
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 08:36 pm
@Izzie,
Well Dixiepup works at a certain grocery store and basically does a lot of advertising for the store around here.

0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 08:41 pm
@realjohnboy,
I always kinda thought deer whistles were counterproductive meself, rjb.

Kinda like flu shots, and fake friendly paid marketers...
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 12:03 am
@DixiePup,
Quote:
hopefully everyone is now reminded to help each other with a positive outlook. i know i am a positive person and that is what I feed off of

If you want help with maintaining a positive outlook no doubt you will find somebody at a2k willing to do that, but don't get it into your head that anyone owes you that. I sure as **** have no interest in spoon feeding you your Psychological hygiene medicine, my only duty to you is to be honest, to tell the truth.
0 Replies