You guys are like wolves

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 04:00 am
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

I'll help you, but first you have sex with me. It's an A2K rule. Really!

It's true islandgirl. I remember my obligatory ride on the A2K town bicycle.

I've had better. Laughing

T
K
O
jespah

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 04:26 am
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:
kickycan wrote:

I've had better. Laughing

T
K
O

Thank you for this morning's out loud laugh.

In all seriousness, I've seen both of you in Politics a lot, and it's bound to be heated a few weeks before a Presidential election. Pretty much everywhere else, we're a lot more sedate, but no matter where we are, we're having a blast.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 07:06 am
@islandgirl,
Hey Islandgirl.. folks are great here - give 'em a chance... politics, mmmmm, could be a rough ride over there...

I'd steer clear if you're easily bruised about your opinions...

kickycan wrote:

HA... he owns the A2Kickster rule book!

Folks'll give ya a laugh, or help you out... have a look round the board - it's worth it!
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 07:36 am
@islandgirl,
islandgirl wrote:

I am somewhat new to forums and discusion groups. After trying to recieve information, it seems more dog eat dog rather that hellllllllp with the initial question.

Plesde help me with the ettiqutte on this board.

Sincerely,

Islandgirl

You're right. Many of the answers you're getting in this thread sound like:

"Well, we do sometimes get vehement about our political opinions, particularly so close to an election, but it's nice to have such a diversity of opinions, and to have members who feel so passionately about the affairs of the day."

Nice picture, but it isn't descriptive of this board. The truth is, rather, that many of the interactions are more like this:

Person A: An interesting hypothesis, but what about A, B, and C?
Person B: You're a %$#@ imbecile and everyone here knows it, so just shut up.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 07:37 am
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

Just look for the A2K broom closet. And don't worry, it won't take more than a minute or two. Sometimes Kicky's finished before we even get there. Razz
Izzie

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 07:49 am
@Eva,
Laughing
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 08:20 am
@kickycan,
did you forget the rotation again kicky? back off and wait your turn....
Gargamel

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 08:45 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
As usual, I will be watching in the dark. Which most of you know, but I thought I'd inform the newbie.

That is all. Thank you.
mismi

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 09:28 am
@Izzie,
I'm with Iz on this - politics and religion - st st steer clear. yikes. Unless you can dish it out as well as you can take it. 'Cause some of these folks need to be cut down a notch or two Wink

Really when you talk to them in other threads that have nothing to do about those two things they are surprisingly nice. Laughing

Post and tag in what you enjoy and stick to your My Post/My Tags list. It makes life much easier. Though I do browse the New Posts every so often - great new topics come up all the time. If you post in one that gets nasty and it pisses you off every time you see the title - thumbs down it and it will collapse. Works for me.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 05:10 pm
@Gargamel,
now has island girl been informed that as the newbie she has to supply your ky and kleenex?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 06:04 pm
Welcome to both of you. The Politics thread is, as noted, a rough place to start this late in the campaign, but feel free to join.
Many of us go back for the full 6 years of A2K and some of us back to the old Abuzz, where you really had to have a thick skin...and a helmet.
I have not read any posts by either of yall, but here, for what it is worth is my advice.
On the Politics thread, you can try to be witty, referring to McCain as McLame or Obama as O-Boy. If that is what you want to do, fine, there is no etiquette rule. But don't expect any serious response.
Or you can make a statement, explain it, and either source it (or, as your reputation for credibility rises, offer to source it).
We look forward to having yall join us. Ignore much of what you read above this. Many of those recent posters are drunken frat boys. Dys in particular.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 06:31 pm
relationship threads are highly confrontational, it is not just the political and religious threads. Overall though one needs to be able to piss in the tall weeds with the big dogs to appreciate a2k.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 06:59 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
My only limitation to helping is that I will never supply answers to homewrok questions

Every cloud has a silver lining.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 07:31 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
My only limitation to helping is that I will never supply answers to homewrok questions .

Every cloud has a silver lining.

Welcome newcomers. The basic idea is to **** on everybody using basic logic and sound reasoning. But there's a need to be sensitive as well. You can tell those who you need to be sensitive to from the sad plights they describe. You only **** on the ones you feel can take it.

farmerman, or effemm as I call him in, in eminently justifiable retaliation, says that he's happy to help with art questions but if you ask him to give a short appreciation of the world's oldest known work of art, the Venus of Willendorf, he will tell you where it was found, how it had been dated, what it is made of and where it is now in a form much expanded from that, and which he'll get off Wiki anyway, and there'll be no mention of the art in it or the influences inspiring it having independently inspired many other artists down to the present time and you'll be no wiser artistically although you might get a quiz question sometime which effemm's spiel will enable you to answer correctly.

A lot of people on here think they are artistic because they talk about art and have coffee table books with lurid pictures on the front. It's the same with science. And politics.

And I wouldn't take much notice of his cooking tips either. He has a bad diet.

He'll be good on gardening. He knows a lot about spreading manure.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 10:54 am
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

Does that include guys?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 10:56 am
@TTH,
kicky has made that pretty clear by only offering his interest to women only, but one really never knows. Wink
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 10:57 am
@TTH,
Quote:
Re: kickycan(Post 3440693)
kickycan wrote:

I've had better.

T
K
O

apparently!
TTH

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 11:16 am
@mismi,
mismi
That was funny Very Happy
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 12:19 pm
The wolfpack metaphor does sometimes seem appropriate though. My theory is that some people are perpetually angry or personally frustrated or see themselves as inadequate or harbor antisocial feelings. They have insufficient real life opportunity to dissipate that without consequences, so they take any opportunity to demonstrate rudeness, uncivility and/or hatefulness here where they can do it with impunity.

So some hapless soul offers a politically or socially unpopular point of view and immediately a wolfpack is assembled to jump on and overwhelm such person and it generally is not done with any tact, civility, or concern for a person's feelings. They congratulate each other for making particularly nasty comments. If the target is a newbie, they are likely to not return. Only those others who see it for what it is and develop a pretty thick skin will stick around.

Fortunately most A2Kers are gentle, caring, thoughtful, socially mature people who do not need to hatefully ridicule or attack others and/or hurt people's feelings on purpose. Focus on those and this is a really great place.

spendius

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 01:56 pm
@Foxfyre,
I find Foxy that gentle, caring, thoughtful, socially mature people are either having you on or aggressively trying to ram their moral superiority up your whatsit.