No wonder Joe the Plumber Is worried About Taxes

cjhsa

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 11:59 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo, what exactly do you eat? Because you smell like an old douchebag and you sound like a used condom getting stepped on by an old shoe.

Literally, folks, this cylcoturd must brush his teeth with O-boys excretions. I don't know how he can stand himself.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 12:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

And for your "fairness" doctrine, what exactly are you trying to tell us?

That:

(1) Most tax loopholes should be closed.
(2) It's unfair to put the rich in a much higher tax bracket than the middle class.

I've said both of these things countless times now in this thread, so you really ought to stop asking for endless repetitions of what I mean.
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 12:06 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
So Cyclo, you have yet to offer a moral justification for it, but you seem to be saying that you support the government doing whatever the government wants to do just because it can?

(You want a good example of liberal extremism folks? There it is in a nutshell.)
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 12:09 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:

Graduated means un-equal.

No, it does not mean un-equal. All are subject to the same graduated scale. As our incomes go up and down over time, we may find ourselves in a different place on the taxation scale; but everyone is treated fairly by the same system.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 12:12 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

So Cyclo, you have yet to offer a moral justification for it, but you seem to be saying that you support the government doing whatever the government wants to do just because it can?

(You want a good example of liberal extremism folks? There it is in a nutshell.)

I did offer a moral justification for it: the people of America determined long ago that a graduated taxation scheme is the appropriate one for our country. This was an eminently moral decision on the part of our citizens. This decision has stood the test of time and our system of taxation is one of the longest-running one's in the world without major change.

The government of America is the embodiment of the will of the people. I support the US continuing to run itself in this fashion, yes. It's not just 'because it can.' We tax our citizens in order to keep our nation running in a viable fashion. Some can afford to pay more, so we charge them more. There's nothing inherently unfair about that at all - you just represent the side of greedy bastards who don't want to pay a cent more than you have to.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 12:14 pm
At the end of the day, what do we have here?

Conservatives watching their party self-destruct, and bitching about how they are going to have to pay higher taxes. Now, the vast majority of you probably will not under Obama's plan - more's the pity - but in the fantasy world in your heads, you want the option of keeping your money IF you were to become richer, to be open.

I'd say most of you are just like Joe the Plumber - worried about the 'fairness' of a scheme which doesn't apply to your own life one bit.

Cycloptichorn
cjhsa

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 12:14 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I resemble that remark.

The IRS should be disbanded - install a flat tax - get rid of loopholes. Huge savings.

cjhsa

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 12:15 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Why don't you STFU you lying, stealing, sack of ****.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 12:15 pm
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

I resemble that remark.

The IRS should be disbanded - install a flat tax - get rid of loopholes. Huge savings.

Huge savings for the rich, large increases in the tax burden upon everyone else. Once again you display your ignorance of basic matter, CJ. Stick to stroking your barrel and firing blanks.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 12:20 pm
@Brandon9000,
It's because you keep repeating undefensible claims about unfairness.

While the production of American workers increased, they did not benefit from working harder or producing more. Most of the benefit went to the CEO's while the average joe's pay remained stagnant - and not even keeping up with inflation.

That is not only unfair but unethical. The CEOs enriched themselves based on greed, and forgot to reward the people who actually produced the products and services.

That the same CEOs should pay a higher tax rate is based on that simple fairness doctrine. That you are unable to see the inequities between the salaries of CEOs (pay packages, stock options, and golden parachutes) and those production workers is a consequence of your ignorance.

Greed is their only excuse. What's your's?

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 12:28 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

I did offer a moral justification for it: the people of America determined long ago that a graduated taxation scheme is the appropriate one for our country. This was an eminently moral decision on the part of our citizens. This decision has stood the test of time and our system of taxation is one of the longest-running one's in the world without major change.

The government of America is the embodiment of the will of the people. I support the US continuing to run itself in this fashion, yes. It's not just 'because it can.' We tax our citizens in order to keep our nation running in a viable fashion. Some can afford to pay more, so we charge them more. There's nothing inherently unfair about that at all - you just represent the side of greedy bastards who don't want to pay a cent more than you have to.

Cycloptichorn

That is a rationale, not a moral justification.

On moral grounds, the American people once supported prohibition. It was only when they saw that it created more problems than it solved that they changed their mind.

On moral grounds the American people once denied women the vote. It was on moral grounds that women were given the vote.

On moral grounds, the American people once supported slavery and, after the abolition of slavery, they supported segregation. And it was on moral grounds that they saw the evils and injustice in both.

The fact that the American people support something is not in itself a moral justification.

So the question remains:

Citizen A educated himself, stayed away from illegal activities, paid his dues by developing a work ethic and learning a trade so that he could earn a living, waited until he could support a family and got married before having kids, got up in the morning and went to work and did his job honorably and well and he prospered.

Citizen A may decide to voluntarily help out Citizen B as the morally right thing to do.

But what is the moral justification for the government to forcibly take Citizen A's property and give it to Citizen B who did none of that?
cjhsa

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 12:29 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Maybe so, but that's called FAIR. What part of that don't you understand? You do realize that those rich folks are subjected to all kinds of other taxes? I doubt you do.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 12:45 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:

So the question remains:

Citizen A educated himself, stayed away from illegal activities, paid his dues by developing a work ethic and learning a trade so that he could earn a living, waited until he could support a family and got married before having kids, got up in the morning and went to work and did his job honorably and well and he prospered.

Citizen A may decide to voluntarily help out Citizen B as the morally right thing to do.

But what is the moral justification for the government to forcibly take Citizen A's property and give it to Citizen B who did none of that?

The moral justification: that the country requires taxes from all its' citizens in order to keep functioning. Some citizens live right around the poverty line, and they pay little to no taxes; this does not remove the responsibility of those who live far, far better lives, to pay the taxes necessary to support the country. If you believe in, and support, your country, then you have a responsibility to pay taxation to do so.

This isn't a difficult concept, Fox. You and your bunch talk all the time about Patriotism, but when it comes to paying money to support the country? You're quickly revealed for the false patriots you are. You support the country, but only up until the point that the country asks money from you. Then you become tight-fisted. What a crock.

I find your arguments on this subject to be tendentious in nature and quite boring, Fox. Nothing really new here. You are merely repeating the same exact Republican argument against taxation which we all have seen, for years. But you know that the system isn't going to change, so at the end of the day, this conversation is quite useless.

Cycloptichorn
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 12:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

It's because you keep repeating undefensible claims about unfairness.

While the production of American workers increased, they did not benefit from working harder or producing more. Most of the benefit went to the CEO's while the average joe's pay remained stagnant - and not even keeping up with inflation.

That is not only unfair but unethical. The CEOs enriched themselves based on greed, and forgot to reward the people who actually produced the products and services.

That the same CEOs should pay a higher tax rate is based on that simple fairness doctrine. That you are unable to see the inequities between the salaries of CEOs (pay packages, stock options, and golden parachutes) and those production workers is a consequence of your ignorance.

Greed is their only excuse. What's your's?

Your comment basically amounts to saying that all rich people are rich because they were mean to poor people, so the government should confiscate some of their money (beyond an equitable tax on all) and give it to the people they screwed. This is absolutely inconsistent with liberty.

If someone is working at a job which treats him unfairly, he should float his resume around and take a better job. If more people did this, then companies which treat their workers unfairly would find that they couldn't find enough people to hire.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 12:54 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

No, it does not mean un-equal. All are subject to the same graduated scale. As our incomes go up and down over time, we may find ourselves in a different place on the taxation scale; but everyone is treated fairly by the same system.

Cycloptichorn

If there's one thing America stands for, or should stand for, it's treating different categories of people equally, with the single exception of special help for hardship cases, which I do support. The fact that people may move from category to category, doesn't (to me) justify treating different income levels in a grossly different manner. Even with your explanation, it still smacks of punishing people for success. When I vote, I will always vote against policies like that.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 01:00 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

If there's one thing America stands for, or should stand for, it's treating different categories of people equally, with the single exception of special help for hardship cases, which I do support. The fact that people may move from category to category, doesn't (to me) justify treating different income levels in a grossly different manner. Even with your explanation, it still smacks of punishing people for success. When I vote, I will always vote against policies like that.

Punishment for success? What a bunch of crap. How do you square that, with the fact that the rich, even after paying high levels of taxes, are still rich? Nobody is being 'punished' for success, Brandon. Those who are successful still enjoy lives of luxury and comfort compared to those who are not as successful, even under higher tax rates.

You have a funny definition of 'punishment,' for sure. Heaven forbid that I make it to a higher tax bracket - I'd be punished for doing so! Laughing Idiocy.

Cycloptichorn
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 01:01 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

So the question remains:

The moral justification: that the country requires taxes from all its' citizens in order to keep functioning. Some citizens live right around the poverty line, and they pay little to no taxes; this does not remove the responsibility of those who live far, far better lives, to pay the taxes necessary to support the country. If you believe in, and support, your country, then you have a responsibility to pay taxation to do so.

This isn't a difficult concept, Fox. You and your bunch talk all the time about Patriotism, but when it comes to paying money to support the country? You're quickly revealed for the false patriots you are. You support the country, but only up until the point that the country asks money from you. Then you become tight-fisted. What a crock.

I find your arguments on this subject to be tendentious in nature and quite boring, Fox. Nothing really new here. You are merely repeating the same exact Republican argument against taxation which we all have seen, for years. But you know that the system isn't going to change, so at the end of the day, this conversation is quite useless.

Cycloptichorn

So your definition of morality is for the government to effectively use one citizen as slave labor for the benefit of another? That point specifically addresses the question. All the rest you brought in here are straw men that have absolutely nothing to do with that. I may be boring. But at least I know what the question is.

It has absolutely nothing to do with functions of government that mutually benefit all and/or are necessary to carry out Constitutionally mandated responsibilities of government.
cjhsa

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 01:07 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo is a student at Berzerkely with little or no income. He likely pays no taxes, and thus, shouldn't be allowed to vote, IMHO.
FreeDuck

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 01:20 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
So the function of government is to effectively use one citizen as slave labor for the benefit of another?

That certainly seems to have been its function for, say, the last 30 years. Government deregulates the credit card industry so that its citizens can become so burdened by debt that they are working, more or less, for the banks. Government, through its tax code, encourages middle class individuals to invest their savings in the market, where people who don't have day jobs have plenty of time to figure out how to manipulate themselves gross profits using our money. Government discourages small business enterprise both by burdensome regulation and complicated tax code, and by making it advantageous for people to be employed by large companies so that we can have tax deductible health insurance (which some of us still can't afford) and sick time. Government has been in the pocket of special interests for decades, so believe me, rich and/or successful people are not the slaves in your analogy. You and I are. The super rich made monstrous profits and brought down our economy and guess who is going to pay for it. That's right: you and me. There is nothing wrong with asking them to pay up and I don't think any of these false scenarios that pit hardworking person A against sloth person B are going to be very believable this go around when everyone knows we are really talking about persons C: the guy with 10 cars and houses in Europe and D: the rest of us.

And one more thing, there is nothing moral about advocating for very expensive endeavors, like the Iraq war and a 700 billion dollar bailout, and balking at paying the taxes required to pay for it. We pay now or our children pay. Personally, I prefer to pay it myself and die broke than to pass that burden on to my children and their generation.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 01:42 pm
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

Cyclo is a student at Berzerkely with little or no income. He likely pays no taxes, and thus, shouldn't be allowed to vote, IMHO.

You are incorrect; I am not a student at Berkeley, I do have income, and I do pay taxes, and have for a long time.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies