No wonder Joe the Plumber Is worried About Taxes

JPB

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 01:50 pm
@cjhsa,
Ah -- stay at home mothers shouldn't vote either, right?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 01:52 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:
So the function of government is to effectively use one citizen as slave labor for the benefit of another?

That certainly seems to have been its function for, say, the last 30 years. Government deregulates the credit card industry so that its citizens can become so burdened by debt that they are working, more or less, for the banks. Government, through its tax code, encourages middle class individuals to invest their savings in the market, where people who don't have day jobs have plenty of time to figure out how to manipulate themselves gross profits using our money. Government discourages small business enterprise both by burdensome regulation and complicated tax code, and by making it advantageous for people to be employed by large companies so that we can have tax deductible health insurance (which some of us still can't afford) and sick time. Government has been in the pocket of special interests for decades, so believe me, rich and/or successful people are not the slaves in your analogy. You and I are. The super rich made monstrous profits and brought down our economy and guess who is going to pay for it. That's right: you and me. There is nothing wrong with asking them to pay up and I don't think any of these false scenarios that pit hardworking person A against sloth person B are going to be very believable this go around when everyone knows we are really talking about persons C: the guy with 10 cars and houses in Europe and D: the rest of us.

And one more thing, there is nothing moral about advocating for very expensive endeavors, like the Iraq war and a 700 billion dollar bailout, and balking at paying the taxes required to pay for it. We pay now or our children pay. Personally, I prefer to pay it myself and die broke than to pass that burden on to my children and their generation.

Citizen C who dishonestly, illegally, or unethically acquired his wealth did not factor into my analogy and it is inappropriate to include him in this discussion.

But let's try one more time.

Citizen A stayed in school and educated himself, he stayed away from illegal activities, he waited until he was married and could afford children before starting a family, he put in his time at Mcjobs while acquiring a work ethic, skill sets, and references, and then got himself out of bed every morning, went to work, did his job as well as he could, and prospered.

Citizen B didn't do any of that and now he is poor and disadvantaged.

On this criteria alone, how is it moral or ethical for the government to forcibly take wealth from Citizen A and give it to Citizen B?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 02:05 pm
@Foxfyre,
Too bad your scenario has little to do with real life, Fox.

How about: Citizen A inherits money from their dead relatives, and is a wastrel who does nothing with their life.

Citizen B works hard and has kids and is productive, but doesn't have the mental acuity to get a job which pays a ton of money.

Why shouldn't citizen A be taxed at a higher rate then citizen B?

I've noted that your economic examples always hold those who have more money to somehow be morally 'superior'; they work hard, others are lazy. This is a ridiculous way to look at the world and really revealing about you, Fox.

Cycloptichorn
mysteryman

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 02:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
The Queen Bee is the wrong analogy. It should be about contributions for the company in which they work, and rewarded accordingly. The way it works today is that CEOs gets paid way over their worth even when they run the company into the ground (bankruptcy), and they walk away with golden parachutes. That is simply wrong not only in common sense terms but ethically.

So then CEO's who make money for their companies should be allowed a "golden parachute" if they want one?

What about the CEO that is also the founder of the company?
Does that person deserve a "golden parachute" or did that person not do enough for his or her company?

But there is one thing that all of you seem to be overlooking, and its a fundamental part of the equation.
Comparing how much a CEO gets paid and how much a worker gets paid is comparing apples and oranges.
No matter how much a worker gets paid, they chose to work for that.

If you agree to work for a certain salary, then you have no reason to complain about what anyone else is getting paid.
If you dont like what you are earning, find another job.
EVERY person that has a job today agreed to work for the salary they are receiving, so it is not important what anyone else is making.

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 03:27 pm
@mysteryman,
How many "founders" of companies do you think there are?

No CEO has ethically "earned" a golden parachute; that's the reason their salaries are multiples of the average worker of the company.

Something your little mind will never comprehend.
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 03:29 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Just answer the question Cyclop and then we can address a different scenario. But if you can't answer that very simple question exactly as it is asked, then the chances of intelligently discussing any even slightly more complicated tenets of the tax code becomes much more difficult to do.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 03:37 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Just answer the question Cyclop and then we can address a different scenario. But if you can't answer that very simple question, then the chances of arriving at anything even slightly cmplicated are quite remote.

I did answer your question. But I'll do so again, in different terms:

The Government is not in the position to know whether citizen A or B or C or whoever has worked hard, is honorable, sacrificed to get where they are at, whatever. None of that is material to the question of taxation. All that is material is income, wealth, and its various flavors.

So when you put out these stupid scenarios, which always show the 'rich man' as being hard-working and honest, while the 'poor man' is lazy, it's a dodge. It has nothing to do with the question of fairness at all. What it really is is an attempt to say that those who make more, should not be taxed more, b/c they some how worked harder for their money or were more helpful to society. That's a bullshit position.

To me, it comes down to two questions:

1, does the government have the right to tax the citizens to stay in operation? The answer is obviously yes.

2, does the government have the right to enact a gradated taxation system, one in which those who have more money, pay higher rates of taxes? Once again, the answer is obviously yes.

There's nothing else to this argument. All this 'Citizen A' crap is useless. The truth is that the government needs quite a bit of money to keep going, and it will get it from those citizens who have money to give; and the more you have, the more you can afford to give without materially affecting your life, standard of living, or ability to survive intermittent problems in your life, one whit. The less you have, the less you are able to survive when problems arise. It's a question of security, Fox; it doesn't do the gov't any good to tax it's citizens to the point where they cannot afford to live, so we impose the majority of taxes upon those who don't have that problem.

Individual morality, and the story of how/what people did to get their money, is immaterial to the argument.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 05:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
How many "founders" of companies do you think there are?

Bill Gates immediately comes to mind.
As does the founder of the "Papa Johns" pizza chain.
Both of them have created companies that have provided thousands of jobs.Are you saying that they arent entitled to that mythical "golden parachute" you are so dismissive of?
After all, it was their hard work, money, and time that got those companies started.

No CEO has ethically "earned" a golden parachute; that's the reason their salaries are multiples of the average worker of the company.

See my above answer.

Something your little mind will never comprehend.

So what have you done ethically to earn any and all of your retirement income?
And you hurt your argument when you resort to attempted insults because someone disagrees with you.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 05:47 pm
@mysteryman,
That's two out of how many? Many who founded companies sold them to conglomerates or just went bankrupt before they even got off the ground?

Not knocking small business; that's how most workers get jobs, but you're toot'n up the wrong fireplace.

Bill Gates doesn't need any "golden parchute." He's one of the wealthiest individuals on this planet.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 07:09 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
Citizen C who dishonestly, illegally, or unethically acquired his wealth did not factor into my analogy and it is inappropriate to include him in this discussion.

Who said anything about honesty, legality, or ethics? I just said person C was really really rich. Way richer than either of us and all the people we know put together.

Quote:
But let's try one more time.

Citizen A stayed in school and educated himself, he stayed away from illegal activities, he waited until he was married and could afford children before starting a family, he put in his time at Mcjobs while acquiring a work ethic, skill sets, and references, and then got himself out of bed every morning, went to work, did his job as well as he could, and prospered.

Citizen B didn't do any of that and now he is poor and disadvantaged.

On this criteria alone, how is it moral or ethical for the government to forcibly take wealth from Citizen A and give it to Citizen B?

Of course that wouldn't be moral or ethical, but Citizens A and B are not real people and don't live in this real world. So, yes, you're right that in Wonderland it would not be fair for Citizen A to pay for Citizen B. But in the real world these people don't exist. And the question you should be asking is where you got the idea that your tax dollars pay for lazy people.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 08:15 pm
@mysteryman,
Bill Gates and the founder of Papa John's don't need golden parachutes nor do they probably have them. They are majority shareholders in their company, on the board and can't be forced out or fired.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 04:59 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:

Graduated means un-equal.

No, it does not mean un-equal. All are subject to the same graduated scale. As our incomes go up and down over time, we may find ourselves in a different place on the taxation scale; but everyone is treated fairly by the same system.

Cycloptichorn

If there's one thing America stands for, or should stand for, it's treating different categories of people equally, with the single exception of special help for hardship cases, which I do support. The fact that people may move from category to category, doesn't (to me) justify treating different income levels in a grossly different manner. Even with your explanation, it still smacks of punishing people for success. When I vote, I will always vote against policies like that.

Punishment for success? What a bunch of crap. How do you square that, with the fact that the rich, even after paying high levels of taxes, are still rich? Nobody is being 'punished' for success, Brandon. Those who are successful still enjoy lives of luxury and comfort compared to those who are not as successful, even under higher tax rates.

You have a funny definition of 'punishment,' for sure. Heaven forbid that I make it to a higher tax bracket - I'd be punished for doing so! Laughing Idiocy.

Cycloptichorn

The fact that they're still rich is hardly the criterion for fairness. If, hypothetically, I take nothing from anyone below the ten million dollars a year level, but 50% from those above it, the latter would still be rich, but it's hardly fair. Equal protection can't mean different things for different people.
parados

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 07:42 am
@Brandon9000,
Well Brandon, with your comments so far. Let me ask you a question. Is capitalism "fair"?

I can buy a widget for $10 but if Joe buys 1oo widgets he only pays $8 per widget. Is that fair? Shouldn't we all be equal? Why should I be punished?

Quote:
The fact that they're still rich is hardly the criterion for fairness. If, hypothetically, I take nothing from anyone below the ten million dollars a year level, but 50% from those above it, the latter would still be rich, but it's hardly fair. Equal protection can't mean different things for different people.
Yes, that isn't fair because the person making $1 dollar less than ten million pays zero taxes and the person making ten million pays $5 million in taxes. But that hypothetical isn't what the graduated tax rate does or what Cyclo is arguing. Your hypothetical is designed for what purpose? To avoid talking about the reality of the present tax system? Under our present tax system, the person making $10 million would still keep more money than the person making $1 less. There is no tax bracket that suddenly causes a person to keep less money than anyone paying less. There is no tax bracket that takes 50% of a persons income.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 09:47 am
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:
ABC News Journalist just asked, "Why are we vetting Joe the Plumber? He's already done more interviews than Sarah Palin."

Because, in John McCain's judgment, he was the best real-world example McCain could come up with to support his tax policies. When the best real world example for your policies turns out to be a fraud, that says something about your policy's quality.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 09:50 am
@Thomas,
McCain has a tax policy? LOL
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 10:01 am
@Brandon9000,
Okay, Brandon, I make you a deal: We replace the current federal income tax with a flat income tax with a rate of 24%, consistent with current federal expenses. Also, because you say you want to eliminate loopholes, we tax capital gains as ordinary income -- meaning 24% as opposed to the current 15%.

Deal?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 10:09 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
I am one of the American people and I can find no justification for you to have the ability to take what I have lawfully earned and use if for your own personal benefit.

Cycloptichorn doesn't want the ability to personally steal from you. He's only defending the power of American governments to lawfully tax you, at rates determined by the people's elected representatives. The legal code protecting your right to earn an income is the same as the legal code protecting the governments' right to tax you. There's your justification.
0 Replies