Obama Kool-Aide Drinkers? Right-wing Propaganda!

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 07:16 am
Last month the Sophian, Smith College's student newspaper, published an op-ed titled " 'I Will Follow Him': Obama as My Personal Jesus," by Maggie Mertens:

Quote:
Then I began to realize I wasn't the only one trying to buy a WWOD bracelet and spending my weekends scouring CNN.com. The rock star-type love for Obama wasn't just because he was pretty and in the media. Others too, had seen him as a shining light, heard that mythical voice boom out over the mountaintops; people were wearing the t-shirt because they would rather wear something representing a politician than a pop star. People everywhere, young and old, were caring again. So what's the problem here?
I've officially been saved, and soon, whether they like it or not, the rest of the country will be too. I will follow him, all the way to the White House, and I'll be standing there in our nation's capital in January 2009, when Barack Obama is inaugurated as the 44th president of the United States of America. In the name of Obama, Amen.

http://media.www.smithsophian.com/media/storage/paper587/news/2008/09/18/Opinions/i.Will.Follow.Him.Obama.As.My.Personal.Jesus-3440311.shtml

A reader's comments:

Quote:
Um...whoa. I hope this is a parody. If it is, brilliant. If it isn't, I just don't know what to say except that your conception of the appropriate place of government and politicians in our lives appears to have reverted 2000+ years. You can agree with his policy prescriptions, as I do, but the confluence of political and emotional power that you brainlessly seek to hand over to Obama borders on religious fanatacism.

Then there's this on You Tube

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0LsrtppY2Dc

And this from the wife of The Expected One:

Quote:
Barack Obama will require you to work. He is going to demand that you shed your cynicism. That you put down your divisions. That you come out of your isolation, that you move out of your comfort zones. That you push yourselves to be better. And that you engage. Barack will never allow you to go back to your lives as usual, uninvolved, uninformed.

And after the Obama Revolution all the little school children will sing paeans to The Great Leader.

gungasnake

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 07:41 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Democracy is a fairly good system for governing a fairly homogeneous group of people with shared ideals and values. It was never meant to serve as a system for sharing power between two or more groups with nothing in common at all who basically just despise each other. At that point all you have left (all we have left) is a contest to see who can do the better job of gaming the system.

Sooner or later, the choice is going to be between divorce, and CW-II.

rosborne979

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 08:20 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Last month the Sophian, Smith College's student newspaper, published an op-ed titled " 'I Will Follow Him': Obama as My Personal Jesus," by Maggie Mertens:

Sounds like a joke to me.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 08:23 am
[voice=James Earl Jones]The ad hominem is strong in this one.[/voice]
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 08:24 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
And after the Obama Revolution all the little school children will sing paeans to The Great Leader.

At least you're finally admitting he's going to be President. Welcome to reality, bitch!
engineer

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 08:58 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't think this is a joke or parody, I think it is an atheist college student saying she would rather put her faith in someone who inspires her. It came off as over the top, but that's what college students do. For us older skeptics it's humorous, but I'm sure she speaks for some small segment of the population.
FreeDuck

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:08 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
My only question is, is he a Johnny Cash personal Jesus or a Depeche Mode personal Jesus?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 09:59 am
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

At least you're finally admitting he's going to be President. Welcome to reality, bitch!

Laughing +5 for you

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 10:31 am
I still don't know what this thread is about. Embarrassed
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 03:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Maybe you haven't felt the thrill up your leg yet.
rabel22

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 06:23 pm
@engineer,
I hope its a very, very, very, small segment.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 10:59 pm
@rabel22,
Quote:
I hope its a very, very, very, small segment.

Me too, but if it is more than 100,000 (and I believe it is), it's not a good thing.

What is sadly ironic is that so many Liberals who find devotion to religion (and in particular the Christian religion) so laughable and beneath contempt have fallen into the same irrational behavior, as respects Obama, for which they scorn the religious.

Mindless devotion to a person or a few hundred pages of writing is dangerously irrational, but such behavior does not require a belief in God, a life after death, or a text pronounced "holy."

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 11:08 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Mindless devotion to a person or a few hundred pages of writing is dangerously irrational, but such behavior does not require a belief in God, a life after death, or a text pronounced "holy."

But it doesn't hurt.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 11:41 pm
@joefromchicago,
Funny, that's not what your fellow Liberals think.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 12:07 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Shocked...
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Yeah, because it's almost a fore drawn conclusion that any leader who inspires a few half baked nut cases to worship will almost inevitably go on a Marxist crusade which will lead to the establishment of a heinously brutal autocratic personality cult which he'll rule till the day he dies. I guess we should all be as afraid as you.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 12:15 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Good Grief but you're touchy on this issue Bill.

Hitting too close to home?
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 12:19 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Good Grief but you're touchy on this issue Bill.

Hitting too close to home?
You know better than that. I do think it's a bit over the top to compare the man to a monster like Kim. You're practically opening up by invoking Godwin's Law.
SYNRON

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 12:25 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
He couldn't feel the thrill go up his leg, Finn, He told us he had an operation., He's been radiated-No thrill left!
0 Replies

SYNRON

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 12:29 am
@OCCOM BILL,
And Finn said I should pay more attention to you?????? If you don't know that Obama has been practically deified in his community, you don't know a thing.

Do you think that FDR's portrait was ubiquitous in the thirties? You haven't seen the Obama portaits which have him with an aura and halo?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 12:30 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Funny, that's not what your fellow Liberals think.

How would you know?