Guys? You're not helping (Palin sexism watch)

DrewDad

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 05:14 pm
@Foxfyre,
They don't need to defend her, because nobody is seriously attacking her on gender issues. Some idiots are being offensive, but responding to that crap just advertises the idiots.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 05:21 pm
@nimh,
Yuk. Awful. Especially that first cartoon. Shocked
I find it very hard be believe that any genuine Obama supporters would believe that circulating such garbage would actually benefit their cause ... surely they have more than enough ammunition with her political agenda? And the end result (of publishing the garbage) is to gain sympathy for her, particularly from women. Which makes me wonder who is actually behind this unpleasant "campaign" ...

dlowan

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 05:23 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Yes.

It is sexist.

However, considering how Hillary Clinton and Clinton supporters were treated by the American press/American public, I don't expect anything better for Sarah Palin and her supporters.

True dat.

But....two wrongs and all that.

I would hope people did not feel the need to need to be so disgusting in revenge.

I know the depths to which the right has sunk/is sinking.

That doesn't make this sort of stuff about Palin any better.

Yeccccchhhhhhhh.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 05:24 pm
@msolga,
You assume that they are being made by "supporters", Ms Olga...

(lot of counter marketing strategies going on right now, it's fugly)
msolga

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 05:26 pm
@Rockhead,
Actually, Rockhead, I was having my doubts, given the sympathy fall-out!
Perhaps I didn't express myself very well.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 05:28 pm
@msolga,
You do quite well, Ima little dense...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 05:30 pm
@nimh,
Showing Fox reality rarely makes a difference.

I am one of those evil left-wing feminists who deplores these attacks on Palin, despite thinking her politics a disaster.

I'd be happy to see her attacked fiercely but fairly on those, and not permitted to dodge and weave.....but my progressive politics don't make me too blind to see the crap attacks as crap.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 05:34 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Yuk. Awful. Especially that first cartoon. Shocked
I find it very hard be believe that any genuine Obama supporters would believe that circulating such garbage would actually benefit their cause ... surely they have more than enough ammunition with her political agenda? And the end result (of publishing the garbage) is to gain sympathy for her, particularly from women. Which makes me wonder who is actually behind this unpleasant "campaign" ...
You won't find those shirts for sale at Obama.com. As Nimh pointed out; those are made by people who are in it to make money. I'd wager 5 to 1 that the same people making the "attack Palin" shirts make "attack Obama" shirts as well.
Foxfyre

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 05:34 pm
@dlowan,
You are no more feminist than I am--I mean I am pretty sure I am as much of a feminist as anybody here. But unfortunately neither of us are sought out to make speeches in front of news cameras or enlisted for sound bites to make headlines or drafted to be talking heads on news magazines. The media isn't interested in hearing from you or me. They are interested in hearing from those who will savage her and/or demonstrate such outrage, disrespect, and contempt that they would put out those T-shirts that Nimh posted.
msolga

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 05:35 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Interesting, Bill. Just good ol private enterprise at work? Wink
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 05:38 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
Yes, this kind of stuff is disgusting and infuriating with no way to combat it.

It will surely test the lady's mettle though. Anybody who can stand tall and tough against this kind of vile, contemptible, and small minded crap should make us a fine president of strong character and courage some day.

"Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly? Because her father is Janet Reno.”

--John McCain, a vile, contemptible and small minded person (according to Foxfyre, at least).
djjd62

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 05:44 pm
was i the only person who read "Guys" as "Gus" Very Happy
spendius

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 05:50 pm
@kuvasz,
kuvasz wrote-

Quote:
I do declare, this raffish humor makes me swoon.

Ain't that Charcot explaining how to get good money out of the workforce.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 05:54 pm
@djjd62,
No. Me too. But I just woke up a short time ago!That's my excuse. Laughing
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 06:02 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

You are no more feminist than I am--I mean I am pretty sure I am as much of a feminist as anybody here. But unfortunately neither of us are sought out to make speeches in front of news cameras or enlisted for sound bites to make headlines or drafted to be talking heads on news magazines. The media isn't interested in hearing from you or me. They are interested in hearing from those who will savage her and/or demonstrate such outrage, disrespect, and contempt that they would put out those T-shirts that Nimh posted.

Can you give an example of what feminists you're thinking of, when you're saying that many feminists have been demonstrating the kind of sexism that you can find on those T-shirts, when talking about Palin to news cameras etc?

I ask because I havent come across any, myself. Well, the one outrageous remark I've seen from an actual Democratic politician, as opposed to grassroots Dem voters, is the one from Carol Fowler, the South Carolina Democratic chairwoman. No idea whether she's a feminist though, let alone a leftist and/or militant feminist - I kinda doubt it. But it sure was a stupid remark.

That I havent seen any doesnt mean there aren't any examples out there, of course. So I'd like to know what you're basing your remarks about how feminists are now bashing Palin with sexist remarks on, whether you can point us to any illustration of that.
msolga

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 06:05 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
.... the end result (of publishing the garbage) is to gain sympathy for her, particularly from women. Which makes me wonder who is actually behind this unpleasant "campaign" ...

Mind you, sympathy from other women due to this treatment of Palin doesn't necessarily mean they will actually vote for her. The treatment she's been receiving is more likely to consolidate her position with the folk who would have voted for her in the first place.
dlowan

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 06:09 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:
Yes, this kind of stuff is disgusting and infuriating with no way to combat it.

It will surely test the lady's mettle though. Anybody who can stand tall and tough against this kind of vile, contemptible, and small minded crap should make us a fine president of strong character and courage some day.

"Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly? Because her father is Janet Reno.”

--John McCain, a vile, contemptible and small minded person (according to Foxfyre, at least).

Did McCain say that?

Mind you...it does kind of amuse me to see right wingers outraged by gross sexist attacks on Palin, given what Hillary received....unless they similarly expressed disgust about that.

Did you speak out re that disgusting slime, Fox?
dlowan

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 06:10 pm
@msolga,
Sympathy and action to oppose such attacks is great...as long as it doesn't affect their brains at voting time.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 06:11 pm
@Foxfyre,
You specifically attacked feminists Fox.

Are you now withdrawing that attack?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 06:22 pm
@nimh,
I don't have time to hunt for links right now , Nimh, but if I think about it will look later. But I have the radio on our local news/talk station when I'm driving to appointments or running errands and the radio or TV is on in my office when I'm at my desk plus I read a lot of stuff on the internet, and its all over the place--both in various threads here on A2K and also various internet and media sources. It has been unrelenting and it has been vicious. Does EVERYBODY who opposes Palin do it? Of course not. Do some who don't support her defend her? Yes some do.

All I am saying is that you would see a great groundswell of outrage from the Left if a Democrat was being treated as Sarah Palin is being treated and you would see numerous incidents in which the Democrat would be defended in her choices just as Sarah Palin is being criticized for hers. There was plenty of sexist garbage that was directed at Hillary too--including some major ugly stupidity--but most of it wasn't cruel and hateful and mean like you see in a lot of the stuff thrown at Palin. The toughest part is that the media, being mostly left of center in this country, gives a lot of voice to those who criticize and condemn Palin and who would shout down those attempting to stick up for her.

A true feminist applies the same basic principles to all women regardless of ideology. Militant leftwing wacko feminists apply very different standards to somebody they like as compared to somebody they don't.

But we can hope for the general wisdom and good sense of the American people to see through it all too.