FINAL COUNTDOWN FOR USA ELECTION 2008

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 01:54 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Yes, Sarah has shown she can take criticism, even cruel, malicious, sexist, unfair, and dishonest criticism, and she can take it with poise, grace, and good humor without playing the victim in any respect, which is more than I can say of Senator Obama's ability to even take mild criticism.

I dont see how it can be good for the top of your ticket to be always trying to draw comparisons between Obama and Palin. I am not even sure how Obama enters into this discussion.
Quote:
(The issue on the US Magazine was not the writer, but the content which was blatantly dishonest in fact and/or omission--it was the worst kind of yellow journalism and the managing editor who is responsible for all content was justifiably exposed and thoroughly humiliated because of it.)

Is the writer not responsible for the content? Did you read the article?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 01:55 pm
@Foxfyre,
Well, there is a difference between opinion and factual claims, Fox. I'm not surprised that you don't understand that though.

If you don't want people calling you on your bullshit, don't call them out on it, mkay? You accuse CI of doing something that you constantly do yourself. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Cycloptichorn
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 01:57 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

Dunno. I sure think her assertion that she would "love to have Palin on" holds no water whatsoever. Very magnanimous of her to maintain 'neutrality' on her show AFTER she has given her chosen candidate some significant face time though, don't you think?

Greenwitch, whom I know to be an Obama supporter, is taking a much more realistic view than Oprah is.

I can see how, having already endorsed a candidate, she might think it better not to use her show to interview any candidates. Can you see how those interviews would be picked apart for bias? Oprah is not stupid -- I am sure she knows how some people would take it if she doesnt have Palin on. But if she says she promised not to have any candidates on, and she hasnt up till now, then she is just being consistent.

I think its all moot anyway. Palin doesnt seem interested in giving interviews.

Ah, okay. I did miss this. Sorry.

No, Oprah is not stupid. But she does have herself in a bit of a mess re Palin I think.

Why do you say that Palin is not interested in giving interviews? She is, after all, the VP candidate for a whole week, the GOP convention ended last night, and she has been out on the campaign trail doing a lot of pretty emphatic straight talk today. Neither Obama nor Biden were expected to give interviews during their conventions.
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 01:59 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Well, there is a difference between opinion and factual claims, Fox. I'm not surprised that you don't understand that though.

If you don't want people calling you on your bullshit, don't call them out on it, mkay? You accuse CI of doing something that you constantly do yourself. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Cycloptichorn

Let's not do this Cyclop. Or I will ask you to back up your statements here. Or is that just opinion too and not a factual claim?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 02:00 pm
@Foxfyre,
Oh, I think the fact that the McCain campaign says she's not 'comfortable' doing interviews and won't be doing any, anytime soon, is a little clue -

Quote:
05 Sep 2008 01:55 pm
A senior McCain campaign official advises that, despite the gaggle of requests and pressure from the media, Gov. Sarah Palin won't submit to a formal interview anytime soon. She may take some questions from local news entities in Alaska, but until she's ready -- and until she's comfortable -- which might not be for a long while -- the media will have to wait. The campaign believes it can effectively deal with the media's complaints, and their on-the-record response to all this will be: "Sarah Palin needs to spend time with the voters."

Not out of the question are appearances on lighter, fluffier television shows. But -- not for a while.

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/09/no_interviews_till_shes_ready.php

It's basically an admission that she is too weak to be interviewed critically at this point.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 02:01 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Let's not do this Cyclop. Or I will ask you to back up your statements here. Or is that just opinion too and not a factual claim?

Which statements, exactly? I'm not backing down from your mendacity, Fox, out of some desire to keep the peace. Just admit that you are guilty of the same thing you accuse CI of and be done with it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 02:05 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
Ah, okay. I did miss this. Sorry.

No worries, its easy to miss stuff.

Quote:
No, Oprah is not stupid. But she does have herself in a bit of a mess re Palin I think.
Only if it is shown that she isnt being consistent with her promise, I think.

Quote:
Why do you say that Palin is not interested in giving interviews?
I said she doesnt seem interested. Cyclop posted something above about it, and Ive been reading that the McCain campaign says she wont be doing any for a while.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 02:07 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

Yes, Sarah has shown she can take criticism, even cruel, malicious, sexist, unfair, and dishonest criticism, and she can take it with poise, grace, and good humor without playing the victim in any respect, which is more than I can say of Senator Obama's ability to even take mild criticism.

I dont see how it can be good for the top of your ticket to be always trying to draw comparisons between Obama and Palin. I am not even sure how Obama enters into this discussion.

I think the McCain campaign and his supporters will stop drawing comparisons between McCain/Palin and other appropriate figures when the Obama/Biden campaign and their supporters stop doing that. Do you foresee that happening any time soon? Do you think it is useful for them to do so?

Quote:
Quote:
(The issue on the US Magazine was not the writer, but the content which was blatantly dishonest in fact and/or omission--it was the worst kind of yellow journalism and the managing editor who is responsible for all content was justifiably exposed and thoroughly humiliated because of it.)

Is the writer not responsible for the content? Did you read the article?

The writer is responsible for the content if the writer is held responsible for the content. The one with the first responsibility to do that is the Managing Editor who also has full ability to delete from or add comments to the article submitted by the writer. Having said that, I'm sure the writer would have received the same dressing down from Megan Kelly that the managing editor received had he been the one on the hotseat. The managing editor was absolutely disgraceful in his attempt to smooth over the magazine's glaringly obvious effort to intentionally smear and slime Sarah Palin, and they did so quite dishonestly from the content to the cover photo and hooks printed there.

And yes, I read the article.
FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 02:12 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
I think the McCain campaign and his supporters will stop drawing comparisons between McCain/Palin and other appropriate figures when the Obama/Biden campaign and their supporters stop doing that. Do you foresee that happening any time soon? Do you think it is useful for them to do so?

The McCain campaign created an ad making the comparison. When did the Obama/Biden campaign draw comparisons between Obama and Palin?

Quote:

I hadnt figured you for a trash mag reader. I have to wait to read it until I get to my sister-in-laws house. Its one of her guilty pleasures.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 02:16 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Oh, I think the fact that the McCain campaign says she's not 'comfortable' doing interviews and won't be doing any, anytime soon, is a little clue -

Quote:
05 Sep 2008 01:55 pm
A senior McCain campaign official advises that, despite the gaggle of requests and pressure from the media, Gov. Sarah Palin won't submit to a formal interview anytime soon. She may take some questions from local news entities in Alaska, but until she's ready -- and until she's comfortable -- which might not be for a long while -- the media will have to wait. The campaign believes it can effectively deal with the media's complaints, and their on-the-record response to all this will be: "Sarah Palin needs to spend time with the voters."

Not out of the question are appearances on lighter, fluffier television shows. But -- not for a while.

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/09/no_interviews_till_shes_ready.php

It's basically an admission that she is too weak to be interviewed critically at this point.

Cycloptichorn

It's a what now?

You mean it's an attempt to keep the rabid wolves away that want to know nothing about Palin, but will hound her about her pregnant daughter and how her baby will effect her career.

Your opinion is noted. Wrong, but noted.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 02:21 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

The McCain campaign created an ad making the comparison. When did the Obama/Biden campaign draw comparisons between Obama and Palin?

Well the last time I am aware of was yesterday during Obama's called press conference in which he pretty thoroughly bashed McCain and Palin with all kinds of unflattering comparisons when he compared them to himself and Biden. And he did this a few hours before McCain's acceptance speech. And since we are drawing comparisons here, McCain ran a very nice ad congratulating Senator Obama several times during the day and evening of Obama's acceptance speech.

Quote:
Quote:

I hadnt figured you for a trash mag reader. I have to wait to read it until I get to my sister-in-laws house. Its one of her guilty pleasures.

Oh good Lord, I would never buy or seek out a magazine like US. I only knew of it when the side by side comparisons of how US Magazine treated Obama versus how it treated Palin were posted on the Drudge Report. And I found the article itself somewhere else on the internet, but I honestly don't remember where now

http://elections.foxnews.com/files/2008/09/090308_magazine.jpg

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 02:26 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Well the last time I am aware of was yesterday during Obama's called press conference in which he pretty thoroughly bashed McCain and Palin with all kinds of unflattering comparisons as compared to himself and Bid. And he did this a few hours before McCain's acceptance speech.

You know where I can find a transcript?

Quote:
And since we are drawing comparisons here, McCain ran a very nice ad congratulating Senator Obama several times during the day and evening of Obama's acceptance speech.
Yes. He is a class act.

Here is what I know about the ad they released.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/maverick_misleads.html

It doesnt say when they released it, but factcheck is usually at least a day behind so the would be Wednesday or earlier.
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 02:31 pm
@FreeDuck,
No, I haven't seen a transcript of the press conference yesterday, but there's probably one out there somewhere. I heard several pieces of it on the radio while out keeping appointments yesterday.

And what does the Factcheck.org evaluation of a campaign ad have anything to do with the complimentary ad McCain ran on Obama's behalf a week ago Thursday?
FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 02:33 pm
@Foxfyre,
I said earlier that it was the McCain camp who were making the comparison and that they did so in a campaign ad. Im just backing that up with a link to the ad I referenced, since that is what we were talking about.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 02:58 pm
@Foxfyre,
I found the press conference you were talking about here. I watched the whole thing and didnt see him make a single comparison between himself and Palin. So I have no reason to believe it is anyone but the McCain camp making these comparisons. Do you think its a good idea to let the vp pick overshadow the top of the ticket? Its as if McCain isnt even in the room anymore.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 03:05 pm
there's a real smell of right-wing desperation in the air.

they see their stranglehold on america slipping away.

it would be sad if it weren't so richly deserved.
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 03:06 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

I found the press conference you were talking about here. I watched the whole thing and didnt see him make a single comparison between himself and Palin. So I have no reason to believe it is anyone but the McCain camp making these comparisons. Do you think its a good idea to let the vp pick overshadow the top of the ticket? Its as if McCain isnt even in the room anymore.

Holy cow. Are you serious here? You can watch that press conference and not see him drawing comparisons between them and him in every respect? And he after all called the press conference for the purpose of responding to Palin's speech Wednesday night. McCain hadn't given his yet.

And his answers were so completely dishonest on several points, I found myself actually disliking him for the very first time. That is not good.
Foxfyre

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 03:07 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

there's a real smell of right-wing desperation in the air.

they see their stranglehold on america slipping away.

it would be sad if it weren't so richly deserved.

That's funny. That is just what I was thinking about YOUR side. Smile
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 03:13 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:
Do you think its a good idea to let the vp pick overshadow the top of the ticket? Its as if McCain isnt even in the room anymore.

there is the thought that macker is simply a trojan horse.

suppose mac gets elected. then 6 months or a year into his term, he leaves office due to health reasons.

palin finishes his term. then runs for president on her own. question is, in this scenario would she also be allowed to run a 2nd free standing campaign for what would in effect be a 3rd term?
FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 03:15 pm
@Foxfyre,
Let me just remind you how this conversation started.

FreeDuck wrote:

I dont see how it can be good for the top of your ticket to be always trying to draw comparisons between Obama and Palin.

Foxfyre wrote:
I think the McCain campaign and his supporters will stop drawing comparisons between McCain/Palin and other appropriate figures when the Obama/Biden campaign and their supporters stop doing that.

FreeDuck wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:
Well the last time I am aware of was yesterday during Obama's called press conference in which he pretty thoroughly bashed McCain and Palin with all kinds of unflattering comparisons when he compared them to himself and Biden.

And here we are. Where exactly in that conference did he compare himself to Palin? He hardly even mentioned her. In fact, he was asked why his campaign hardly ever talked about her.