94

What are the best films you have seen this year? Why did you like them so much?

Real Music

1  
Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2018 08:47 pm
I went to see the movie 'Aquaman' on Christmas day. This was clearly the best movie I've seen in 2018. I can't speak for other theaters, but at the theater I was in, the viewing audience gave the movie of standing ovation at the end. That is something I've very rarely seen.
Lash

1  
Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2018 09:47 pm
@Real Music,
Thanks for the review. It looked like one that would be a visual feast in the cinema. I think I’ll treat myself.

Plus, Khal Drogo! Yes, please.
Real Music

1  
Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2018 10:20 pm
@Lash,
You're welcome. Very Happy
I highly recommend it.

dlowan

1  
Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2018 03:57 pm
@fbaezer,
I will look at Roma on Netflix
Olivier5

2  
Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2019 02:44 am
Saw Bohemian Rapsody, and found it a fairly good piece. I’m not a big Queen fan but they did make me pounce on my seat a lot.

1  
Reply Sat 19 Jan, 2019 08:41 pm

dlowan

1  
Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 03:31 am
Loved “The Favourite”

Leadfoot

1  
Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 07:41 am
Don't skip "Oldboy" (from 2013).
Best thing Spike Lee has done so far.

2  
Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 12:48 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Don't skip "Oldboy" (from 2013).
Best thing Spike Lee has done so far.

I flinched in real life reading this. Especially since the original Korean is one of the greatest thrillers of all time.

And Blackkklansman is so deservedly getting Oscar buzz this year. Spike Lee's Oldboy was so Razzie worthy ... but not in a so painful that's its funny way.
dlowan

1  
Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 02:50 pm
What is the Korean original?

1  
Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 05:43 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

I will look at Roma on Netflix

I just watched it and was very moved.

2  
Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 05:48 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

What is the Korean original?

Oldboi (2003)

1  
Reply Sun 20 Jan, 2019 06:09 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

dlowan wrote:

I will look at Roma on Netflix

I just watched it and was very moved.

Oh....why did I like it?

I felt it was an accurate portrayal (in my limited experience, mostly hearing from Mexican friends) of how domestic workers become part of the family. The employers are totally expected to, and take it as part of life, that they will help their housekeepers when things happen.

I thought the main character had such quiet dignity. Plus her ability to take life as it comes.

2 thumbs up.

Lash

2  
Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2019 07:51 am
@fbaezer,
Most nominated for the Oscar, reportedly. 🏆 Congratulations, Roma.

1  
Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2019 08:01 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I believe ten nominations. Tied with The Favourite in nominations.

Leadfoot

1  
Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2019 08:31 am
Spike Lee's Oldboy was so Razzie worthy ... but not in a so painful that's its funny way.

Yep.
Have to look it up. Is the Korean version as metaphysical as Lee's? You had to view the fight scenes that way or it did get 'Razzie'.

1  
Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2019 08:41 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Yep.

The fight scenes were freaking groundbreakingly amazing. They are some of the best fight scenes in the medium of movies.
engineer

1  
Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2019 02:30 pm
Have you seen this website where Oscar voters explain their votes? Kind of shocking the things they say about beloved movies, directors, actors, etc. (Click on a "ballot" to see the detailed interview.)

fbaezer

5  
Reply Tue 22 Jan, 2019 07:00 pm
Just learned that Marina De Tavira (Oscar nominee for supporting actress, for Roma) is the daughter of Luis De Tavira, a well known playwriter and theatrical director in Mexico.

Now some dumb bragging (and lamenting).
When I was a Sophomore in High School, I wrote a short story that the teacher loved.
He read it to the Seniors and said: "Fbaezer is the best writer I've taught, since Luis De Tavira".
De Tavira wasn't known yet, but a few years later, he became a reference in Mexican theatre.
The literature teacher was right about him, but with me he was terribly wrong. Between De Tavira's generation and mine, at least two great writers went to his class. He wasn't able to spot them.
One has published several well sold novels, won the Mazatlán Prize of Literature and was awarded the Gabriela Mistral medal in Chile.
The other -the Senior student who told me the anecdote- has won for his novels the Mazatlán Prize, the Villaurrutia Prize, The Prix des Trois Continents, the St. Peterburg Prize (in Russia), the National Arts Prize, and is a member of the French Ordre des Arts et des Lettres
.
Me, I have published less a dozen or so short-stories in newspapers and magazines. Not a single book.

javadth

-1  
Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2019 03:05 pm
@dlowan,
split was good 7/10