What are the best films you have seen this year? Why did you like them so much?

tsarstepan

Tue 13 Jan, 2015 08:14 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

And now for 2015.

I know what I'm going to see when it comes out on the 23rd Jan.

Right up my street.....

[Youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW_sfxUnbZA[/youtube]

That's your biopic, right Lordyaswas?
0 Replies

FBM

Tue 13 Jan, 2015 08:16 am
@tsarstepan,
I wholeheartedly agree. Michael Keaton was superb, but not so much more so than the others. There should be a lot of awards going to that one.
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Wed 14 Jan, 2015 09:18 am
TAKEN 3

One can't just trust the number of viewers of a film or a video, in order to catalogue it as good, mediocre or bad.

I myself am one of the millions who watched a Youtube video, but I stop watching it after 30 seconds because it was a piece of crap. Still, in the TV news, just by watching it, I was counted as one more of the viewers, and caused "without my consent" for this video to be at high rank.

The movie TAKEN 3, the sequence of the former ones, is not intense. There is action but so sporadic and without a continued pulling that only deserved a clap here and there in the movie theater when a shaking hands took place.

Liam Neeson walks and jogs like a grandpa, so, no idea how at that age he can jump fences like a teenager... desperation can perform miracles in old dudes...

The movie is OK, and my guess is that the high assistance of viewers was because the fame of the "Taken # movie series" itself, always with foreign bad dudes who lack of good aim when shooting, weird tattoos in their bodies, killing more innocent people than the US troops did in Iraq in five years of invasion, beautiful girls surrounding them, and by coincidence, always ugly.

A futuristic Taken 4 might be Liam Neeson trying to rescue his grandchild from North Korea mafia members, a grandchild that if it is a boy, he will be given the mother's step father's name...

0 Replies

fbaezer

Wed 14 Jan, 2015 12:53 pm
Birdman is so much better than Boyhood!
tsarstepan

Wed 14 Jan, 2015 01:32 pm
@fbaezer,
I have to agree with you there. Boyhood was a very ambitious technical exercise. Storywise, it's pretty traditional and not that groundbreaking. Birdman on the other hand, was bizarre, original, and pitch perfect.

Birdman has far more ... um... rewatchabilityness... then Boyhood.
fbaezer

Wed 14 Jan, 2015 05:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
Totally agree. Boyhood was as boring as a more than average boring day in everyday life.
Plus I don't like the "Life is pointless, let's smoke dope" philosophy.

If I had known it is by the same director of Waking Life -innovative, but superficial, pseudophilosophical and ultimately annoying- I would have thought twice before buying the cinema tickets.
glitterbag

Fri 16 Jan, 2015 11:52 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

glitterbag wrote:

I mentioned Birdman a while back, a few days ago the paper reported the film had received several Golden Globe nominations and I think also nominations from the actors guild. I feel so much better, I didn't anyone but mr. glitterbag & I had seen the film.

I finally got ahold of the film and watched it. Damn. Best movie I've seen in a very long time. Thanks for the heads-up.

I'm really glad you liked it. It's not a mainstream movie, and I'm not sure why I liked it so much, but it's a keeper.
FBM

Sat 17 Jan, 2015 12:10 am
@glitterbag,
For me, unpredictability is one of the most important qualities of a good film, and that one had plenty of that. Smile
glitterbag

Sat 17 Jan, 2015 05:04 pm
@FBM,
We saw American Sniper last night. It's intense, disturbing and incredibly realistic. Bradley Cooper does a terrific job of showing the numbing experience of war. I think it's worth seeing, we have so many soldiers in harms way but the their reality is lost on most of us.
dlowan

Sat 17 Jan, 2015 05:38 pm
@fbaezer,
Fbaezer...and others as well.....did you like Tree of Life?

Thank you for the heads up about Birdman from me, too.
FBM

Sat 17 Jan, 2015 08:56 pm
@glitterbag,
I've got American Sniper coming down the chute at the moment. Wink
0 Replies

panzade

Sun 18 Jan, 2015 11:23 am
@glitterbag,
Eastwood is an incredible director.
I had qualms about seeing this but I'm gonna take your recommendation...
0 Replies

fbaezer

Sun 18 Jan, 2015 01:05 pm
@dlowan,
Did not watch it. Is it any good?
dlowan

Mon 19 Jan, 2015 02:25 pm
@fbaezer,
I loved it....others found it murky and pretentious.

I'd just be interested in your opinion. It's very long if you hate it, though!
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Wed 21 Jan, 2015 09:09 pm
SELMA

A good movie.

(The movie is looooooong. I guess it's because president Lyndon Johnson was very undecided thinking if signing or not Kings petitions...)
0 Replies

FBM

Thu 22 Jan, 2015 05:04 am
@glitterbag,
I did enjoy watching American Sniper, but I thought some parts were a bit flag-wavy. And I think they should have put a little more of the budget into getting a believable baby in that one scene. http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/hehe.gif

Since then I've seen John Wick and The Drop. IMO, The Drop was the better of the two. John Wick was a bit too typical of what's been coming out of Hollywood over the years. Still worth the watch, I'd say.
tsarstepan

Thu 22 Jan, 2015 05:09 am
@FBM,
The Cabbage Patch baby was pretty scary.
FBM

Thu 22 Jan, 2015 05:30 am
@tsarstepan,
I don't want to focus too much on the fake baby, but yes I do. You'd think that somebody in the cast or crew would've been or had connections to a real person with a real baby who would've loved to have it cast as an extra for like, 30 seconds, eh? I'm not even a stickler for details in films, but the instant the "baby" appeared on the screen, I was like, "What? Seriously?" And of course, couldn't take my eyes off it.

Still, it's a very good film. Clint Eastwood has turned out some junk as well as some gems, and this one tends towards the latter, IMO.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Fri 23 Jan, 2015 11:05 pm
So glad I chosen a perfect movie this evening.

‪Leviathan‬ (2014) is a particularly brutal look at Russian life. Stunning cinematography. Heartbreaking acting. Blistering and dark, Russia has a long way to go in order to become a viable democracy. So far, I predict Andrey Zvyagintsev is getting the Foreign Language Oscar. I have a copy of Ida (2014) that I 'll try and watch this weekend. Hopefully, I'll get to see Timbuktu next Friday or Saturday. That one looks as equally brutal and tough to watch given its subject is Islamic terrorists.

The only glitch I had tonight wasn't with the movie itself but with the poor sightlines from the Film Forum screen and seating. I had one hell of a time competing with the squirming lady and her wandering head in order to be able to read the English subtitles. I can only imagine what blocking nightmare I might have presented to the person directly behind me.
dlowan

Sat 24 Jan, 2015 04:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'll watch for it
0 Replies