What are the best films you have seen this year? Why did you like them so much?

mac11

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 07:53 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan, Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day stars Frances McDormand but otherwise has a mostly British cast. It's set in London just before WWII. She's a nanny who loses her job and sort of falls into a new job as a social secretary.
Here's a link with more info:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0970468/

The release dates info there says it was released in Oz last May...
Robert Gentel

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 10:08 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

That's gotta be one of the more unusual reasons for liking a film!

You don't understand. I really don't like Titanic. But The Dark Knight is a pretty decent film on it's own and I'd say it's easily the best superhero movie I've seen.
Fyerio

Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:46 pm
@dlowan,
I 'may' be a tad late in watching these films.

Batman Begins and Forrest Gump were probably the best I've seen this year (2008). Smile
Sglass

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 12:42 am
@dlowan,
It's hard to drag me out to a movie, but recently a friend talked me into going and seeing "Mama Mia". It was delightful. Meryle Streep took my breath away. She had to learn to sing and dance for the part. Giddy, lighthearted -and I sang and danced my way out of the movie theater.

I highly recommend it. And Piers Brosman? Magnificient
dlowan

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 01:42 am
@Robert Gentel,
Lol!

I do understand. I don't like it either, and I know that you can carry dislike to dizzy heights.

Best superhero film? Ok...I've been hesitating a lot re it, but I'll likely go, since those films are best seen in a cinema.
0 Replies

dlowan

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 01:43 am
@mac11,
Frances McDormand? OK!!!! That i'll see!

Can't wait for the new Coen film that is on its way!
dlowan

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 01:45 am
@fbaezer,
I thought there were two American continents?

One in the correct hemisphere and one in the north?

yes, I did mean Latin America....I'll watch out for the one you mention.
0 Replies

dlowan

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 01:46 am
@Fyerio,
You don't believe in rushing out to see films, do you??? Wink
0 Replies

mac11

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 06:53 am
@dlowan,
Yes, Read Before Burning looks hilarious. It opens here next week.
dlowan

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 07:13 am
@mac11,
Is that YOU, Mac?????

In the avatar?

If so...cool! I didn't have a visual image of you (except your old avatar..) but it looks like you, of you know what I mean.

We saw the trailers for Read Before on Sunday...so it must be here soon, too.

It made our noses quiver!
dlowan

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 07:16 am
@Sglass,
I saw that Sglass.....it's certainly lively!!!

I kept wondering if they'd all been put on speed!
mac11

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:32 am
@dlowan,
Yep, that's really me. Very Happy
Izzie

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:53 am
@mac11,
Hey Mac11 - your avatar is the same as your previous avatar.... but clicking on your name brings up beautiful you. How happy to put a name to your smiling face a? RESULT.
mac11

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 10:02 am
@Izzie,
yeah, I'm still seeing my old Michelangelo avatar on the little version too - but I think it will get there eventually...
0 Replies

caribou

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 04:36 pm
to see the new avatar, you need to clear your cache. Then log out and log back in.
Great photo, Mac!

oh, http://able2know.org/topic/120899-8#post-3377508, robert says that changing the size on your avatar in your preferences might force the pic to show up...

Seriously, watch An Unfinished Life.
Sglass

Wed 3 Sep, 2008 05:20 pm
@dlowan,
Or perhaps speeded up the film. But Mama Mia wasn't quite as fast and spastic as Shampoo.
0 Replies

etan

Fri 5 Sep, 2008 09:47 am
@dlowan,
You know, I re-watched "My Man Godfrey" with some friends this year and realized why that movie is consistently rated in the top 10 of all time. A pitch perfect comedy that's zany while remaining erudite and topical (with signs of the depression everywhere) while remaining somewhat timeless. Great acting, too, especially from the leads. They just don't make screwball comedies like these used to.
dlowan

Fri 5 Sep, 2008 10:21 am
@etan,
That's a cool suggestion!

I love vintage comedies.
0 Replies

caribou

Fri 5 Sep, 2008 12:30 pm
@etan,
I just looked up " My Man Godfrey" on Netflix and found two. One made in 1936 and one in 1957.
Which one should I watch?
etan

Fri 5 Sep, 2008 01:10 pm
@caribou,
def the 1936...the 1957 was a shallow remake. Get the Criterion Collection version, if they have it -- you'll get to see William Powell and Carole Lombard swearing up a storm in the outtakes!