What are the best films you have seen this year? Why did you like them so much?

caribou

Fri 5 Sep, 2008 01:36 pm
@etan,
Thank you!
0 Replies

mac11

Fri 5 Sep, 2008 02:42 pm
@caribou,
Caribou, thanks for the pointer about changing my avatar size preference. That did the trick, but I couldn't remember where I'd read the suggestion!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Fri 5 Sep, 2008 02:51 pm
The Lady Diane and I want to see a film next week. Any suggestions?

BBB
Green Witch

Fri 5 Sep, 2008 03:02 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
The Lady Diane and I want to see a film next week. Any suggestions?

See if "August Evenings" is opening in your area. I know someone who saw it in preview and loved it.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Fri 5 Sep, 2008 08:51 pm
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:

dlowan wrote:

Any really good films from your continent, Fbaezer?

If you're asking about Latin America, last good flic I saw (think it was last year) is "Morirse está en Hebreo", a comedy about Jews in Mexico.

"Morirse está en Hebreo", AKA "My Mexican Shivah" is now on New York City theaters.
dlowan

Fri 5 Sep, 2008 08:54 pm
@fbaezer,
Then it'll soon be here...thankee.
0 Replies

Quincy

Sun 7 Sep, 2008 07:50 am
"Dark Knight" and "The Machinist". The latter was very good, and Christian Bale gave a great performance, and I very much enjoyed the film. Almost cried.
dlowan

Mon 8 Sep, 2008 07:05 am
@Quincy,
I just added "The Machinist" to my DVD queue....looks interesting.
0 Replies

material girl

Mon 27 Oct, 2008 01:21 pm
@dlowan,
I saw a Javier Bardem film the other day called The Sea Inside and absolutely loved it....despite the subtitles.
material girl

Mon 27 Oct, 2008 01:23 pm
@material girl,
Dlowan, I have to say I thought The Machinist looked interesting too.Then i watched it.I guessed what was going on in the first 10 minutes and was very disapointed afterwards.Very poor choice by Bale, I reckon he only took it so he could be ridiculously thin, he likes a challenge.Id say only watch it when all other films in the world have been watched.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Sun 2 Nov, 2008 09:47 am
@dlowan,
Just saw a 1949 flick on cable Movies on Demand called "All the King's Men".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041113/

It is a great film (ostensibly based on the life of Huey Long) that won a number of Academy awards. It is about politics, and the abuse of power.................a subject that is quite relevent nowadays. If you get a chance to watch it, don't miss it!
mac11

Sun 2 Nov, 2008 04:37 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I agree with you about the original film, Phoenix. It's a classic. But I can't recommend the recent remake starring Sean Penn. It wasn't nearly as good.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Sat 8 Nov, 2008 03:25 pm
I just watched "Bubble Boy" on cable. Absurd, but enjoyable.
Shapeless

Sat 8 Nov, 2008 03:31 pm
I saw Vicki Christina Barcelona a few weeks ago. I'm not usually a Woody Allen fan (despite being a native New Yorker... fancy that), but I thought this movie was quite good. It seemed like a parody of so many things at once: academia, artists, American tourists, yuppies, and arguably Scarlet Johansson.
DrewDad

Sun 9 Nov, 2008 03:22 pm
@DrewDad,
I also just watched Stranger than Fiction which was quite good, and Zodiac which was OK but had a rather disappointing ending.

Edit: My cable stations either appear to be on a Gyllenhaal streak, or Jake or Maggie has been in every movie made in the last two years...
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Fri 13 Mar, 2009 05:04 pm
Gran Torino - Not a fan of Clint Eastwood, but what a brilliant movie I loved it!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Fri 13 Mar, 2009 11:21 pm
I just got back from [img]Watchmen[/img].

Pretty gory, and I found the sex scenes to be a bit much. Not to mention the blue naked guy. But a good movie.
dlowan

Sat 14 Mar, 2009 12:03 am
@Shapeless,
Oh? I'll watch out for that.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Wed 18 Mar, 2009 10:35 pm
Watched a great movie last night called 'Miracle in St.Anna' fantastic movie about American Buffalo soldiers in Italy fighting against the germans it was a tear jerker in the end,"untold story of courage and brotherhood" but a great watch, great story line. Movie by Spike Lee.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Wed 18 Mar, 2009 11:15 pm
@DrewDad,
Had you read the comic book (er, excuse me, the "graphic novel") beforehand? I assumed anyone who hadn't wouldn't get much out of the movie, but when a friend and I saw it last week he seemed to be able to follow pretty easily despite not having read it before.