What are the best films you have seen this year? Why did you like them so much?

farmerman

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 10:28 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
My favorite for this year was "ALL HOPE IS LOST". I guess its because that movie made the sea the leading character and was presented in a matter of fact basis of "this is how **** happens, nd all you cn do is react properly".

I, like Baezer was totally stunned by the visuals of GRAVITY, and was similarly disappointed with the lack of a substantive story.

THE BUTLER was really good because it was well acted , and Whitaker was brilliant, So were Nixons and Johnsons characters. You got pissed at Reagan and I knew I was being manipulated by the screenwriter but, I suspent my beliefs.

All Hope is Lost was thinly attended in the theaters, and you really needed that deep resonant and midrange slapping BACKGROUND NOISE that is omnipresent and is transmitted through all small boats in deep waters. Anyone who has an approach/avoidance syndrome would be intimidated by the sea's total indifference , and would be turned off by this movie.

0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 10:41 am
Farmerman I'm going to investigate that film
farmerman

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 10:46 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Its out on DVD at REDBOXES now. YOU NEED A GOOD SOUND BOARD to pick up the bass notes.

Remember, Im a water rat.

CAPT PHILLIPS was good too. The best prt of that flick, was when the hijackers (in their motorized Danish Orange capsule life boats) , woke up one morning and saw they were surrounded by destroyer, an aircraft carrier, a heavy cruiser and a support vessel . The look on their faces needed no translation into "HOLY ****"
0 Replies

panzade

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 12:05 pm
"It may be one of the best years in recent memory for high-quality Hollywood film, but two-thirds of Americans have yet to see any of the movies nominated for the best picture Oscar, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Sunday.

Among other questions, the poll asked 1,433 Americans whether they had seen any of the nine best-picture nominees, plus two other films competing in other categories. The Academy Awards will be hosted by comedian Ellen DeGeneres on March 2.

Among those who responded to the online survey, Somali piracy thriller "Captain Phillips" was the most-watched film, at 15 percent. But 67 percent said they had yet to see any of the eleven films in the poll.

The outer-space drama "Gravity" was second with 14 percent, while crime caper "American Hustle" and "The Wolf of Wall Street," Martin Scorsese's portrait of 1990s greed and excess, each had been seen by 12 percent of those surveyed. The numbers include those surveyed who may have seen more than one of the nominees."
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/most-americans-yet-watch-best-picture-oscar-nominee-032819239--sector.html
tsarstepan

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 12:20 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

The Butler. I'll leave it to the usual suspects to say I liked it because of white guilt. Laughing It was superbly acted, directed and operated successfully on more than one level.

It was merely okay. The film was simultaneously too long and too short. It was too long for a feature film. They could have cut off a half an hour. It was too short as it crammed too many decades worth of history. They should have made it a television miniseries. Much of the acting was a Lifetime movie level of performances.

Cecil Gaines' son was the Forrest Gump of the civil rights movement. He happened to magically be everywhere important things happened and during the most crucial times. Not very believable for an inspired by true events story.
tsarstepan

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 12:25 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Among those who responded to the online survey, Somali piracy thriller "Captain Phillips" was the most-watched film, at 15 percent. But 67 percent said they had yet to see any of the eleven films in the poll.

I figure that a lot of people in that survey pulled a little white lie out of their butt and lied about seeing Captain Phillips. It's the easiest to lie about seeing considering the story was quite easy to remember. The film didn't necessarily bomb at the box office but it sure wasn't a blockbuster hit.
Romeo Fabulini

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 12:29 pm
What films do A2Kers AVOID?
Generally speaking, I won't watch any stupid film or TV series with the words "vampires", "undead", "zombies" or "mutants" in the plot summary, and I also can't stand comedies and romances..Smile
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 04:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

blueveinedthrobber wrote:

The Butler. I'll leave it to the usual suspects to say I liked it because of white guilt. Laughing It was superbly acted, directed and operated successfully on more than one level.

It was merely okay. The film was simultaneously too long and too short. It was too long for a feature film. They could have cut off a half an hour. It was too short as it crammed too many decades worth of history. They should have made it a television miniseries. Much of the acting was a Lifetime movie level of performances.

Cecil Gaines' son was the Forrest Gump of the civil rights movement. He happened to magically be everywhere important things happened and during the most crucial times. Not very believable for an inspired by true events story.

We'll have to agree to disagree
farmerman

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 05:52 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Saw the Johny Depp "LONE RNGER" , nd while the movie was not unwatchable , the finale MUSIC (Rossinis William Tell) was totally butchered. I wrote a letter to the Producer of this movie telling him that, if there is a sequel, he had better get a new score of "...WT Overture". The music should be dominant and should BUILD. What they did in this one is use a clicker to time the finale and then add some small segues and trnsitions.
The finale was HORRIBLE.
They did it better with the old Clayton Moore TV series where the ...Overture was usually clipped and hung together by just "jumping several tens of bars". They didn't ADD any new extraneous crap. So you would always anticipate what you already knew. (I could play the WT Overture on the Hammond.
Lordyaswas

Tue 25 Feb, 2014 09:22 am
@farmerman,
I'm gazing into my crystal balls and stating that this film will be my favourite of the 2014.

Weird as buggery, Raiph Fiennes, dead 84 year old sex objects and a loyal Lobby Boy.

What more could an Englishman want in a film?

THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL (Due Mid March in the UK, gord knows when in the US and/or other colonies)

Trailer.....

panzade

Tue 25 Feb, 2014 09:34 am
@Lordyaswas,
Thanks for the tip
Lordyaswas

Tue 25 Feb, 2014 03:32 pm
@panzade,
No probs.

And now for a commercial break.....

0 Replies

Lash

Tue 25 Feb, 2014 05:31 pm
@Lordyaswas,
WES ANDERSON is the patron saint of my family. I cannot WAIT! He's brilliant (if you're quirky). Please go see this and fall in love with Wes.
Lash

Tue 25 Feb, 2014 05:32 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
I "wanted" to like The Butler. It was awful.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Tue 25 Feb, 2014 05:43 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL (Due Mid March in the UK, gord knows when in the US and/or other colonies)

I already have plans on seeing that on Friday March 7.
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 25 Feb, 2014 05:56 pm
We liked "Blue is the Warmest Color." Despite the prurient pull of long love scenes, I felt that it really got down into the human condition of love and individuality. It ran long, but some moments were above and beyond what most films can express. MY favorite was the lovely, post-modern / ethereal "The Great Beauty," an imagic metaphor for the most part, about the decline of Rome. Lovely to watch, more poem than prose - definitely for those who like to look for what isn't shown. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2412886/The-Great-Beauty-film-images-Rome-Italy-story.html
Romeo Fabulini

Tue 25 Feb, 2014 08:59 pm
What a disappointment "Under the Dome" was.
The plot sounds great on paper -- an alien dome descends on a small town-- but I stopped watching it after just a few episodes because it'd degenerated into a stupid soap.
Also there was no strong leading man, Big Jim was the nearest but he was pretty weak.
Stephen King wrote the original novel, I wonder how he feels about the TV adaption.
farmerman

Tue 25 Feb, 2014 10:23 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
king was paid another obscene advance for another crappy book. Under the Dome was another one of those under-edited POS that hes become famous for. There were at least three fairly interesting books in there, none of them were brought together well. I think that, ever since "It" he lost the decency to trash what wasn't even mediocre. Hed come up with some really good short stories and a few very good novels in between (Remember Dolores Claiborne?)

We saw "Nebraska" as a streamflix tonite. While It grew on you . I don't think Bruce Dern was Oscar Nominee quality. He must be sick or is really going senile. I think his movie-wife gave a better performance
Lordyaswas

Wed 26 Feb, 2014 02:20 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

WES ANDERSON is the patron saint of my family. I cannot WAIT! He's brilliant (if you're quirky). Please go see this and fall in love with Wes.

Quirky? Moi?
I've already checked when the film is on at my local flickery, and have put my special coat (with the poacher's pocket) into the dry cleaners, considering what happened to it last time.

I have discovered that this pocket can fit a whole film's worth of normal priced sweeties, plus two cans of fizzy drinks. This will save an absolute fortune compared to the stuff they sell in the cinema.

All I have to do now is practise my walk so I don't rustle too loudly.
Romeo Fabulini

Wed 26 Feb, 2014 09:40 am
@farmerman,
Besides Under the Dome, another book that was translated to the TV screen as a miniseries was Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles about 30 years ago, I watched every episode and generally speaking I liked the show.
But Bradbury definitely didn't like what the TV people had done with it -
WIKI- The Martian Chronicles became a three-part TV miniseries starring Rock Hudson which was first broadcast by NBC in 1980. Bradbury found the miniseries "just boring"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Bradbury

0 Replies