Debra Law

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 11:48 am
@Berger,
Debra Law wrote:
Berger wrote: "What law did Palin ask anyone to violate?"

Palin was pressuring the public safety commissioner to violate the SUPREME law of the land. In particular, Amdt. 14, U.S. Constitution.

Berger wrote:
Interesting comment. In what specific way was her action a violation of the 14th amendment?

All of Palin's complaints against her brother-in-law, Trooper Wooten, were made when her sister and brother-in-law were going through a messy divorce in 2005. All of Palin's complaints were investigated and heard by both the government department that employed Trooper Wooten and the trial court that presided over the divorce matter.

With respect to the disciplinary action, Palin's complaints were mostly exaggerated or unfounded. At the conclusion of the disciplinary proceedings, Trooper Wooten was suspended for several days for two minor violations.

With respect to the divorce action, the trial court reprimanded Wooten's wife and her family (including Palin) for their unprecedented harrassment and vilification of Wooten. In essence, Palin was relentless in her nefarious efforts to poison the children's relationship with their father and to deprive their father of his livelihood and ability to support his children.

Although all of her complaints made in 2005 were resolved before Palin became governor, Palin presented those same complaints to her appointed public safety commissioner and pressured him to take action against Trooper Wooten. The commissioner investigated and learned that the matter was res judicata. Palin's complaints had been resolved and the decisions were final. He could not, consistent with due process, take any punitive action against Trooper Wooten for matters that were finalized long before he even took office.

The due process clause of the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution prohibits a state from depriving any person of life, liberty, or property without due process of law. As a state employee who cannot be removed from his position as a trooper without just cause, Wooten has a protected liberty interest in continued employment. Due process requires, at a minimum, notice and an opportunity to be heard. That process was already invoked in 2005 and Wooten was heard with respect to Palin's multiple complaints against him. As a result of those proceedings, he was disciplined and that was the END of the matter.

Due process, secured by the Constitution, does not allow the governor to subvert justice simply because she is unsatisfied that Wooten was suspended rather than terminated from his public employment. As a STATE actor, if the commissioner succumbed to the governor's pressure and fired Wooten, the commissioner would violate the supreme law of the land.

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 01:32 pm
Okay, Palin is ******* moron, and an insulting one at that.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/09/palin-warns-aga.html

Quote:
"John McCain and I are committed to drawing attention to the danger posed by Iran's nuclear program and we will not waver in our commitment," Palin told a crowd of 9,000 supporters in Blaine, MN. "I will continue to call for sustained action to prevent Iranian President Ahmadinejad from getting these weapons that he wants for a second holocaust."

A 'second holocaust?' What the **** does that even mean? I don't think this lady knows a damn thing about history.

What an embarrassment for the Republican party this person is. Truly. She was not ready for the position McCain picked her for, no matter how many times she says 'I'm ready! I'm prepared! I won't blink!'

Gimme a break

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 01:53 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Here's the editor of REASON magazine - no liberal rag, there - bemoaning Palin's shitty answers to simple questions:

Quote:
Vaguer, Please
Thursday, September 18th, 2008

Sarah Palin, when asked at a controlled “town hall” meeting what specific foreign policy experience she has that qualifies her to be president:

Quote:
Well, I think because I’m a Washington outsider that opponents are going to be looking for a whole lot of things that they can criticize and they can kind of try to beat the candidates here, who chose me as his partner, to kind of tear down the ticket. But as for foreign policy, you know, I think that I am prepared and I know that on January 20th, if we are so blessed as to be sworn into office as your president and vice president, certainly we’ll be ready. I’ll be ready. I have that confidence. I have that readiness.

And if you want specifics with specific policy or countries, go ahead and you can ask me. You can even play stump the candidate if you want to. But we are ready to serve.

Okay, so I was wrong.

http://www.theagitator.com/2008/09/18/vaguer-please/

The rally conveniently ended right there, so there was not time for any of the 'stump the candidate' questions to be asked. Coincidence, gee.

It's been 19 days since her VP spot was announced, she has held no press conferences, answered practically no unscreened questions, gone on no talk shows, nothing. Nothing to give anyone a clue what she actually thinks about policies that will affect all Americans.

What a crock of shite the Republicans are trying to feed people. Seriously.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 02:25 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo, It's not only the crock of shite, but why is she still the veep favorite for the conservatives? When you vote for McCain, you're essentially voting for Palin. What does all that say about the conservatives? Any guesses?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 03:14 pm
Palin, as mayor of Wasilla, wrote this glowing letter of recommendation for her brother-in-law, Mike Wooten.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site163/2008/0721/20080721_111415_PalinLetterofRecomend.pdf

She was FOR him, before she was against him. LOL
DrewDad

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 03:43 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
New meme I'm seeing -- "I don't speak Palin."

Is she enough worse than Bush that people will actually notice?
sozobe

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 04:17 pm
@DrewDad,
I dunno.

I do think it's a different landscape. Bush came after "Slick Willie" and ran against uber-wonk, robotic Gore. His aw-shucks regular-guy schtick worked in his favor, there.

Same with uber-wonk, stilted Kerry.

Now, malapropisms = Bush = incredibly unpopular president. The verbal bumbling turned out to be part of deeper problems. (Lack of intellect, etc.)

Even if it coalesces as a meme/ narrative I don't think it will necessarily be huge or crippling, but am seeing it pop up here and there and thought I'd make a note.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 04:28 pm
@Debra Law,
Just another "normal" flip-flop of the McCain/Palin partnership.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 04:30 pm
wuh oh.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/state/article818181.ece

Palin turns swing voters against McCain in FL; reluctantly, they decide to vote Obama.

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 04:48 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I'm with the guy who said "pick two new candidates."
Cycloptichorn

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 05:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
http://scienceblogs.com/dispatches/2008/09/palin_the_young_earth_creation.php

Quote:
Another valley activist, Philip Munger, says that Palin also helped push the evangelical drive to take over the Mat-Su Borough school board. "She wanted to get people who believed in creationism on the board," said Munger, a music composer and teacher. "I bumped into her once after my band played at a graduation ceremony at the Assembly of God. I said, 'Sarah, how can you believe in creationism -- your father's a science teacher.' And she said, 'We don't have to agree on everything.'

"I pushed her on the earth's creation, whether it was really less than 7,000 years old and whether dinosaurs and humans walked the earth at the same time. And she said yes, she'd seen images somewhere of dinosaur fossils with human footprints in them."

wuh oh, creationism rears it's ugly head

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 06:55 pm
Quote:
ABC News
Exclusive: New Doubts Over Palin's Troopergate Claims
Internal Government Document Contradicts Sarah Palin, Campaign

By JUSTIN ROOD

September 19, 2008"

An internal government document obtained by ABC News appears to contradict Sarah Palin's most recent explanation for why she fired her public safety chief, the move which prompted the now-contested state probe into "Troopergate."

Fighting back against allegations she may have fired her then-Public Safety Commissioner, Walt Monegan, for refusing to go along with a personal vendetta, Palin on Monday argued in a legal filing that she fired Monegan because he had a "rogue mentality" and was bucking her administration's directives.

"The last straw," her lawyer argued, came when he planned a trip to Washington, D.C., to seek federal funds for an aggressive anti-sexual-violence program. The project, expected to cost from $10 million to $20 million a year for five years, would have been the first of its kind in Alaska, which leads the nation in reported forcible rape.

The McCain-Palin campaign echoed the charge in a press release it distributed Monday, concurrent with Palin's legal filing. "Mr. Monegan persisted in planning to make the unauthorized lobbying trip to D.C.," the release stated.

But the governor's staff authorized the trip, according to an internal travel document from the Department of Public Safety, released Friday in response to an open records request.

The document, a state travel authorization form, shows that Palin's chief of staff, Mike Nizich, approved Monegan's trip to Washington D.C. "to attend meeting with Senator Murkowski." The date next to Nizich's signature reads June 18.

Last week a legislative panel approved a subpoena for Nizich to be interviewed by Stephen Branchflower, the prosecutor hired to conduct the Alaska Legislature's inquiry into Troopergate. The Attorney General informed the Legislature earlier this week that Nizich and other state employees subpoenaed in the matter would not submit to interviews.

Nizich did not respond to a message left Friday afternoon.

In Palin's court filing Monday  to stop an investigation by her state Personnel Board she earlier had requested  her lawyer, Thomas V. Van Flein, included numerous emails from her staff expressing confusion and incredulity over Monegan's planned D.C. trip. None of those emails were sent by or to Nizich, although he was cc'd on several.

Contacted Friday, Monegan confirmed the travel authorization was to pursue funding for the anti-sexual-violence program. He said the travel authorization form was completed in a fashion consistent with practice, even though it showed no expenditures. The signed form approved the travel, he said, and authorized him to use a government credit card or seek reimbursement for expenses he incurred during the trip.

Monegan said he didn't know why Palin's chief of staff approved a trip that confounded her other aides. "It sounds like it's a breakdown of communication internal to the governor's staff," he said.

The McCain-Palin campaign did not respond to requests for comment.

Click Here for the Investigative Homepage.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/print?id=5844710

wuh oh

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 06:58 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclo, It's still interesting to see all this revelation about Palin, but doesn't seem to affect the voters choice for president and veep in a way rational people would think and believe. Scary, isn't it?

And in summary of your post just above mine:
Quote:
But the governor's staff authorized the trip, according to an internal travel document from the Department of Public Safety, released Friday in response to an open records request.

The document, a state travel authorization form, shows that Palin's chief of staff, Mike Nizich, approved Monegan's trip to Washington D.C. "to attend meeting with Senator Murkowski." The date next to Nizich's signature reads June 18.
Cycloptichorn

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 07:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Cyclo, It's still interesting to see all this revelation about Palin, but doesn't seem to affect the voters choice for president and veep in a way rational people would think and believe. Scary, isn't it?

Yup. I hope ABC can produce pictures of the document. That will be damaging to their case. A juxtaposition of the lawyer's letter with the document is an effective and simple image, which is exactly what this case needs.

And it continues the story, which isn't helpful either.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JTT

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 07:42 pm
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Republicans seem to take the greatest pleasure in electing truly ignorant, often downright stupid people. Why is that?
okie

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 08:26 pm
@JTT,
I disagree. We haven't nominated you to run.
JTT

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 09:04 pm
@okie,
Reagan, Bush, Bush, McCain, Palin, ...
okie

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 09:11 pm
@JTT,
Beats LBJ, Jimmy Carter, and Bill Clinton. I don't know how the country has survived that trio. And when you consider decades of Democratic liberal Congress that have built this financial house of cards and have essentially tried to destroy business in this country with their anti - business, obstructionist attitudes driving business overseas, its a wonder we even have a fighting chance after all of that.
Debra Law

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 10:04 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:
Beats LBJ, Jimmy Carter, and Bill Clinton. I don't know how the country has survived that trio. And when you consider decades of Democratic liberal Congress that have built this financial house of cards and have essentially tried to destroy business in this country with their anti - business, obstructionist attitudes driving business overseas, its a wonder we even have a fighting chance after all of that.

What are you talking about? Get your facts straight. The REPUBLICAN party is the party that espoused the virtues of the "free market" and dismantled the depression era regulations that once served to protect the economy. In fact, it was McCain's economic advisor, Phil Gramm (the deregulation guru), who wrote the banking deregulation laws that paved the way for the current crisis --and McCain's campaign manager, Rick Davis, was paid several hundred thousand dollars by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to lobby in their behalf.

With respect to Phil Gramm, read this article:

Quote:
McCain guru linked to subprime crisis

The general co-chairman of John McCain’s presidential campaign, former Sen. Phil Gramm (R-Texas), led the charge in 1999 to repeal a Depression-era banking regulation law that Democrat Barack Obama claimed on Thursday contributed significantly to today’s economic turmoil....

Gramm’s role in the swift and dramatic recent restructuring of the nation’s investment houses and practices didn’t stop there.

A year after the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act repealed the old regulations, Swiss Bank UBS gobbled up brokerage house Paine Weber. Two years later, Gramm settled in as a vice chairman of UBS’s new investment banking arm.

Later, he became a major player in its government affairs operation. According to federal lobbying disclosure records, Gramm lobbied Congress, the Federal Reserve and the Treasury Department about banking and mortgage issues in 2005 and 2006.

During those years, the mortgage industry pressed Congress to roll back strong state rules that sought to stem the rise of predatory tactics used by lenders and brokers to place homeowners in high-cost mortgages.

For his work, Gramm and two other lobbyists collected $750,000 in fees from UBS’s American subsidiary. In the past year, UBS has written down more than $18 billion in exposure to subprime loans and other risky securities and is considering cutting as many as 8,000 jobs.

Read entire article here:
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0308/9246.html

firefly

Fri 19 Sep, 2008 11:49 pm
@Debra Law,
Seattle Post-Intelligencer

McCain feeds America a junk food diet with Palin choice
September 19, 2008

By STEVEN L. KATZ
GUEST COLUMNIST

John McCain has put himself and the nation on a strict diet of political junk food by choosing Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as the Republican vice presidential candidate.

While the national media and Internet are freely dispensing all the political junk food about Sarah Palin as fast as they can, many voters including those who were considering voting for John McCain can't stomach it. Can you?

Here it is in one large spoonful.

Small-town white-female mayor who bullies librarians and museum directors, lobbies Washington to obtain federal funds and claims that she is against "pork barrel politics," is elected governor of the state with one of the smallest populations in the country, so small that she can afford to work from home for most of the year and charge the taxpayers for working from home as a "duty-station," lives closer to the melting Arctic ice caps than any other governor in the country but does not believe in global warming, cracks the whip in dog-sled races and in retaliation towards state officials who she thinks have wronged her family, and turns otherwise right-wing fundamentalist social vices into Republican political virtues.

What does it sound like when people can't stomach McCain's political junk food diet? "Shame on John McCain for choosing Palin as his running mate." This is just one of the more common, and most disgusted of voter reactions to be heard, and which the media does not report on.

Who are these voters? They include Republicans, independents and Democrats.

Why doesn't the media cover these voter reactions? For one, they are too busy photographing gleeful elderly white women cheering for Sarah Palin as if they had successfully photographed a species of wildlife long considered extinct.

The real reason, however, is that these voters no longer fit into a neat box of supporting Obama or McCain. They do not easily fit into the other available categories of "undecided" or "swing voters." In fact, they may not vote at all -- and that makes the real untold story of John McCain's campaign different than reports of how he discovered a "chick magnet" to resuscitate his dying presidential aspirations.

When McCain loses, reporters will swarm all over the real story, and it is how he alienated so many voters who were hoping that McCain was a serious leader and not just applying his self-acclaimed political maverick mentality on the voters.

"Shame on John McCain" also evokes such a strong feeling not just because people can't stomach McCain's choice of Palin, but because John McCain repeatedly reveals a number of disappointing similarities to outgoing President Bush. It is not just the use of campaign tactics to win the presidency at any costs.

It is McCain's and Bush's ultra-thin skinned reaction when anyone in the public or the media criticizes their most obvious seriously bad choices and decisions, and the parallel stubborn trait of failing to see and acknowledge reality as others see it. You have probably seen McCain in action -- insulting his opponents because he is insulted by criticisms of Palin and her combination of personal dramas, false declarations, actions as a public official and overall lack of qualifications for serving as vice president let alone to step in as president.

Yet it is McCain's inability to see clearly the nation's economic woes that should trouble America the most. Sounding a lot like his former Senate colleague and economic advisor, Phil Gramm, who denied the existence of a recession and called America a country of whiners, McCain persistently claimed that the American economy was sound when every real soccer and hockey mom is worried sick about money. Suddenly, he's declared that America is in a crisis.

Maybe it is McCain's diet of political junk food that he and his entire campaign is consuming that has made him so cranky and desperate. Sens. Barack Obama and Joe Biden can contribute leadership, statesmanship, understanding and intelligence. That is the substantive diet the nation needs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email Steven L. Katz, counsel to former U.S. Sen. John Glenn, D-Ohio: [email protected]

© 1998-2008 Seattle Post-Intelligencer