Fri 5 Sep, 2008 08:48 am
@Lash,
Sarah rocks!!
0 Replies

old europe

Fri 5 Sep, 2008 08:51 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
...you know very well they released it because some conspiracy theorists were publishing stories that she pretended to give birth to a child that was actually her daughter's. ....which, btw, is a great example of why most normal people think the Democrats have completely lost it.

Lash wrote:
lmao---Oh, so you're going to hold the GOP accountable for every letter to the editor some lame-o writes.... Thanks for clearing up your thinking process for me.

I smell a double standard...
H2O MAN

Fri 5 Sep, 2008 08:53 am
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

I smell a double standard...

That smell is team democrat.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Fri 5 Sep, 2008 08:54 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Well, I'm 47. I've lived in America the entire time. On forms, in conversation, in politics and every other social aspect of my life to this point, women are considered a minority...

I'm not saying that women haven't been treated with condescension, stereotyped, ridiculed, dismissed, or overlooked.

I'm saying women are not a minority.

(And I know a lot of women that men don't dare treat with condescension, stereotype, ridicule, dismiss, or overlook. Because they kick ass and take names.)
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 5 Sep, 2008 08:56 am
@DrewDad,
A minority or subordinate group is a sociological group that does not constitute a politically dominant voting majority of the total population of a given society. A sociological minority is not necessarily a numerical minority " it may include any group that is disadvantaged with respect to a dominant group in terms of social status, education, employment, wealth and political power. To avoid confusion, some writers prefer the terms "subordinate group" and "dominant group" rather than "minority" and "majority", respectively.

In socioeconomics, the term "minority" typically refers to a socially subordination ethnic group (understood in terms of language, nationality, religion and/or culture). Other minority groups include people with disabilities, "economic minorities" (working poor or unemployed), "age minorities" (who are younger or older than a typical working age) and sexual minorities.

The term "minority group" often occurs alongside a discourse of civil rights and collective rights which gained prominence in the 20th century. Members of minority groups are prone to different treatment in the countries and societies in which they live. This discrimination may be directly based on an individual's perceived membership of a minority group, without consideration of that individual's personal achievement. It may also occur indirectly, due to social structures that are not equally accessible to all. Activists campaigning on a range of issues may use the language of minority rights, including student rights, consumer rights and animal rights. In recent years, some members of social groups traditionally perceived as dominant have attempted to present themselves as an oppressed minority, such as white, middle-class heterosexual males.[1]

Studies have consistently shown a correlation between negative attitudes or prejudice toward minorities and social conservatism (as well as the converse, positive attitutes and social progressivism).[2]

Gender and sexual minorities
While in most societies, numbers of men and women are roughly equal, the status of women as a "subordinate" group has led some to equate them with minorities.[7] In addition, various gender variant people can be seen as constituting a minority group or groups, such as intersexuals, transsexuals, and gender nonconformists " especially when such phenomena are understood as intrinsic characteristics of an identifiable group.

An understanding of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people as a minority group or groups has gained prominence in the Western world since the 19th century. The acronym LGBT is currently used to group these identities together. The phrase sexual minorities can also be used to refer to these groups, and in addition may include fetishists, practitioners of BDSM, polyamorists and people who prefer sex partners of a disparate age. The term queer is sometimes understood as an umbrella term for all non-normative sexualities and gender expressions, but does not always seek to be understood as a minority; rather, as with many Gay Liberationists of the 1960s and '70s, it sometimes represents an attempt to uncover and embrace the sexual diversity in everyone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minority_group
I mean if Wiki knows it....LOL
DrewDad

Fri 5 Sep, 2008 08:59 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
the status of women as a "subordinate" group has led some to equate them with minorities.[7]

Define "some." LOLz!!!!1!one!!!
Lash

Fri 5 Sep, 2008 09:02 am
@old europe,
I associate the rumour mongers with the mainstream Dems...because most of them here believed it...or at least gave it serious credence....some I really respected.

One letter to an editor with NO back up here....is different ....to me at least.

But I do see the basis for your comparison.
DrewDad

Fri 5 Sep, 2008 09:10 am
@DrewDad,
For Young Earners in Big City, a Gap in Women’s Favor

Gender Differences in Voter Turnout
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b125/DrewDad/Voting_by_gender.jpg

Lash, quoting Wikipedia wrote:
A minority or subordinate group is a sociological group that does not constitute a politically dominant voting majority of the total population of a given society.

Subordinate group my ass.

Stop playing the victim, Lash, and take control of your own destiny.
H2O MAN

Fri 5 Sep, 2008 09:21 am
@DrewDad,
The educated and successful women are flocking to McCain & Palin
Diest TKO

Fri 5 Sep, 2008 10:49 am
@H2O MAN,
When are you going to start contributing Kevin? Grow up. If you are going to post something like this, back it up or shut up. Your immaturity is unmatched on these forums.

T
K
O
Cycloptichorn

Fri 5 Sep, 2008 10:54 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

The Media: Only lawyers are hated more in America. The media can ruin you easily with lies, innuendo or just constant, drumming focus. They are too friggin powerful... Good on Sarah.

Doesn't matter. If you duck them, you will be portrayed as weak; and rightly so. If Obama didn't do questions in front of the media, your side would go nuts.

After all, if you can't stand up to the media, how are you going to stand up to Iran? ? Right? Isn't that how the formulation goes?

Palin has no choice; if the media turns against her, she will really regret it, as they will ruin her.

Cycloptichorn
Diest TKO

Fri 5 Sep, 2008 11:02 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Lash wrote:

The Media: Only lawyers are hated more in America. The media can ruin you easily with lies, innuendo or just constant, drumming focus. They are too friggin powerful... Good on Sarah.

Doesn't matter. If you duck them, you will be portrayed as weak; and rightly so. If Obama didn't do questions in front of the media, your side would go nuts.

After all, if you can't stand up to the media, how are you going to stand up to Iran? ? Right? Isn't that how the formulation goes?

Palin has no choice; if the media turns against her, she will really regret it, as they will ruin her.

Cycloptichorn

Speaking of which. Did anyone see Obama on the O'Reilly Factor last night? I haven' had the chance to search youtube yet.

T
K
O
H2O MAN

Fri 5 Sep, 2008 11:05 am
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

Speaking of which. Did anyone see Obama on the O'Reilly Factor last night?

O'really may give Obama a Lewinsky in part two - Shocked

Nothing hard hitting, nothing new, but I'm sure you will enjoy it.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Fri 5 Sep, 2008 11:07 am
Vid here.

How I embed it for future reference?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5rfc54il6Q

T
K
O
H2O MAN

Fri 5 Sep, 2008 11:17 am
@Diest TKO,
In an interview after part one aired O'really? made the following statement out of the blue.

Obama is a tough guy - he is not a wimp.

This statement was not an answer to any question, just O'really? smooching Obama's bum.

parados

Fri 5 Sep, 2008 11:19 am
@Lash,
What the ****?

Do you bother to think before you write such crap?

Quote:
I associate the rumour mongers with the mainstream Dems...because most of them here believed it...or at least gave it serious credence....some I really respected.

Please name those that believed it or gave it "serious credence". Then lets do a count of those that haven't said anything.

I have never said I believed it. I don't think I have commented on it. I can think of several others here that have not said anything but you leap to claiming "most." I guess if you believe something without any facts then it isn't a double standard. Rolling Eyes
Cycloptichorn

Fri 5 Sep, 2008 11:24 am
@Diest TKO,
You use the awesome and super-easy new youtube tags -

[youtube][/youtube]

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Fri 5 Sep, 2008 11:26 am
@Cycloptichorn,
In other news,

Quote:

Investigation into Palin Now on Fast Track
Sources Tell ABC News that Report Will Be Released Almost Three Weeks Early

By LEN TEPPER
September 5, 2008
ABC News has exclusively learned that Alaska Senator Hollis French will announce today that he is moving up the release date of his investigation into whether Gov. Sarah Palin abused her office to get the Alaska public safety commissioner, Walt Monegan, fired. The results of the investigation were originally scheduled for release Oct. 31 but will now come almost three weeks earlier, according to sources.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=5734511&page=1

My guess is that Palin's attempt to illegally hijack the investigation and to stall by not giving deposition has been taken very poorly by the investigative group, and they are now out for blood. Palin completely flipped on her promise to cooperate, and is now doing everything she can to block the investigation. Remind you of Cheney much?

Cycloptichorn
Debra Law

Fri 5 Sep, 2008 11:26 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote: "...you know very well they released it because some conspiracy theorists were publishing stories that she pretended to give birth to a child that was actually her daughter's. ....which, btw, is a great example of why most normal people think the Democrats have completely lost it."

According to the National Enquirer, that's not true. The National Enquirer contacted the McCain-Palin camp to get their comments on the story they were going to print exposing the pregnancy. The McCain-Palin camp quickly released the information in order to preempt the National Enquirer from doing it first.