What may Isabel mean to Chesapeake?

Sofia

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 05:10 pm
Hurricane Isabel

September 15, 2003 - This morning, the center of Hurricane Isabel was located about 780 miles south-southeast of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina and 505 miles east of Nassau. This major storm is moving toward the west-northwest near 8 MPH and a turn to the Northwest is expected over the next 24 hours.

Maximum sustained winds are near 140 MPH with higher gusts. Although fluctuations in intensity are common in major huricanes, little overall change in strength is forecast during the next 24 hours. Hurricane force winds extend outward up to 115 miles and tropical force winds extend outward upl to 205 miles.

Isabel is projected to hit the Carolina coast by Thursday afternoon.

If it does, and it doesn't weaken significantly, it will ruin our beloved Outer Banks.... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 05:23 pm
Here's the National Weather Service's current best guestimate of Isabel's track:

http://billmon.org/archives/Isabel.gif

As you can see, the storm is projected to pass almost directly over Washington D.C. sometime Friday.

Quote:
Behold, I will raise up against Babylon, and against them that dwell in the midst of them that rise up against me, a destroying wind.

Jeremiah 51:1
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 05:26 pm
Our beloved Outer Banks have taken a many a hit and perservered, but I hate to see it happen. I especially hate to think of the further economic woes this will bring to God's country. we have had enough natural disasters generated fiscal problems just lately.

If that's where you are Sofia, then come on up to Raleigh. we'll make up a spare bed for ya.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 05:36 pm
There are reports that there will be no Reservists to assist in hurricane recovery, as they are all on duty overseas.

This bodes an additional ill.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 05:51 pm
What's a few dead down easterners as long as Haliburtons' profits are up?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 06:05 pm
Watching and worrying.
There are so many areas along that coast that I love dearly, and so many people I've come to worry about there. Sad
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 06:30 pm
Sugar,

How exposed are folks in Cape Cod? I've got elderly relatives living full time in Dennis and am growing more concerned about them. With Isabel as large as it is, is the Cape close enough to be hit by the outer edges of it?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 06:36 pm
Gov Warner of Va has declared a "state of emergency" in anticipation of Isabel. He assures us that there are still sufficient National Guard troops here (not in Iraq) to deal with this. The declaration evidentally also allows him to move resources (highway, police etc) around the state as needed. I'm sure our neighboring states are taking similar action.
It would certainly be sweet if Isabel would make a swing to the east and wither and die out there.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 09:21 pm
Bi-Polar-- I luv you. If you luv me, check this box.
(Stole it from you.) Very Happy

We are relatively safe, but my beloved OBX (Outer Banks) is our favorite vacation destination.

You know, PDiddie has lost his mind :wink: , but I have been thinking about how it would be characterized by Muslim Extremists if a Category 5 did lay waste to DC. Pretty close to PDid's Babylon comment...

Anyhoo-- It is time to make drastic preparations--especially around the DC area.

The trajectory of the 'cone' of landfall spreads over alot of coastline. The probability for disaster are very high, IMO. Whatever happened to the 'dropping explosive crap' down into the eye and dispersing them?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 09:26 pm
Rather glad I'm not in Bawl'emer anymore. You guys be careful in East Cost land, yes?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 09:51 pm
I'm beginning to feel a lot more relaxed about our earthquakes and the predictions for more. I can comfortably live with predictions of a 60% chance of a large quake in the next 50 years. This not knowing where it will hit but it will hit in the next 7 days stuff several times a year is a killer for us worrying types.

Do you think that if we all just turn to the East and exhale several times, the combined hot air can just blow Isabel back out to sea for good?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 10:56 pm
http://www.msnbc.com/news/961894.asp?vts=91520032124

Current story on Isabel, preparations. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 03:07 am
Butrflynet wrote:
Sugar,

How exposed are folks in Cape Cod? I've got elderly relatives living full time in Dennis and am growing more concerned about them. With Isabel as large as it is, is the Cape close enough to be hit by the outer edges of it?

Butrfly
I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as the Cape is concerned, but it doesn't hurt to watch the storm. So far it's been consistant as far as what its target is, but with a hurricane you never know what it has in mind. I've been watching it for a few days now and it doesn't look like the cape is going to catch any of it. It might get rough waters and higher tides than usual, but nothing major.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 07:16 am
Butrfly - If they've lived there this long I really wouldn't worry about. The biggest thing here is water damage. We get some wind damage, but nothing major - and the Cape doesn't get the kinds of flooding that kill people.

This hurricane isn't the end of the world - it's not like a tornado going through an Alabama trailer park or anything. Just lots of winds, lots of rain, and not even during a full moon. Big tides are verra bad, but we won't have that this time around. The people who really get it here are the rich ones who build there houses on stilts on the Plymouth and Scituate beaches. They get knocked down and rebuild in the same spot. Idiots. Serves them right.

The hurricane will actually be coming up due south, which is good for the Mass coast. Once it hits lands the winds will die down and they expect it to go over the interior. We'll get winds and rain, but not a full blown coastal hurricane here. The biggest threat - down lines, etc. - is actually to western and central MA.

On behalf of my fellow Massholes, I would like to give a big great thank you to North Carolina. The way your sandy beaches and gorgeous coastline swoops out into the Atlantic every so elegantly - and takes the brunt almost everytime. Tape up those windows and stay dry, ladies and gentlemen.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 07:22 am
Thank goodness, Isabel is now a 3. Maybe weakening further.

Still, no picnic. When Hugo hit, (a 3, I think), we lived one and a half hours inland, and suffered downed trees, loss of water and electricity and people died.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 07:59 am
very gracious of you Sugar pm me you r address and let me send you some NC barbeque and slaw made with four day old mayonaisse.......
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 08:16 am
24 Beacon Street
Room 360
Boston, MA 02114
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 08:48 am
What do you have against Marry Lee King?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 11:16 am
who is Marry Lee King?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 11:38 am
The person at the address Sugar gave. I think. Now I'm worried that it actually IS her, though. (I didn't chalk her up as the kind of person who would post her actual address on the internet.) Will edit if so.
0 Replies