What may Isabel mean to Chesapeake?

Sofia

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 03:41 pm
Most of the time, we get worked up for naught about these hurricanes...

But, the possibility of a Category 4 or 5 in the Chesapeake area is really frightening. I was worried about the Outer Banks, but it seems they'll be spared.

What would a 4 or 5 do to the area near Washington? Anyone else watching this?

A couple of years ago, Savannah migrated to my hometown to avoid Hurricane Floyd. It was a nightmare. Nursing home residents were laid in the floors of our churches and tended to by locals. A couple of them died on the bus trip here.

The Chesapeake area is so much more heavily populated...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,014 • Replies: 89
No top replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 04:10 pm
Well, we got hit in Baltimore with the aftereffects of a hurricane in the Fall of 1999 (although I thought it little different from a really good Seattle winter storm) and it killed a lot of trees, flooded a lot of basements, and annoyed most everybody.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 04:14 pm
Where is this hurricane now?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 04:38 pm
Nevermind I found it. Holy jumpin is that thing huge. Very scary.

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/browsh2.html
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 05:19 pm
If Isabel hits the coast, anybody living on it should pack their bags and kiss their stuff goodbye. To give a little perspective, Andrew was only a category 3.

Not to wish ill on the Carolinas, but from my front window, it's better than slamming into us first. New Englanders have come to rely on our southern cousins to act as a buffer zone. It keeps my windows intact, my boats from being destroyed and the Cape from being wiped completely off the map. Not that I'd really have a problem with that...

I believe there have only been three category 5 hurricanes to hit the US in recorded history, and I wasn't alive for any of them.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 05:21 pm
That's a big bugger.
Thanks for the link, Montana.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 05:24 pm
Here's a link to the most current probability maps - 3 and 5 day forecast charts.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_astorm13+shtml/142058.shtml?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 05:32 pm
thanks, sugar.

i was reading some of the warnings at wunderground. it looks like they're expecting it to hit something along the coast.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 05:43 pm
the more i look at that 5 day track, the worrieder i get
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 06:14 pm
I am preparing. I have lost a house to Fran, property to Floyd, and a roof to the Tornado of '88 which went right through my backyard. I'm taking no chances. Sending squinney and the cubs to Lynchburg Va. to stay with relatives while I batten down the hatches.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 06:16 pm
Stay safe, Bear.

And the rest of you in the path, too.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 06:41 pm
Yes, everyone please stay safe!!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 06:43 pm
Montana - have you got water, flashlight, batteries, transistor radio, etc. put by?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 07:24 pm
Why? Is it coming here???

Yes, I do have all that stuff always ready ;-)
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 07:31 pm
Wait a minute now! We just moved from Long Island (where hurricanes have been known to cause a bit of havoc from time to time as with Gloria, back in '86 I think, when we had no electricity for an entire week) into PA where all I was supposed to worry about was snow. Been here a little over 2 weeks and there have already been bridges washed out by flooding from a few inches of rain and now we've got Isabel headed right up the middle??? Maybe I should have stayed on Long Island.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 07:34 pm
BANDY!!!

So, I have to cook up a hurricane every time I wanna see ya?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 07:36 pm
Ooh, you moved!

How ya doin'?

How's the greenhouse? (Greenhouse? I remember there was something jealousy-inducing and garden-related.)

Are both your kids hitched now?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 07:38 pm
I saw bandylu and stopped in, now am catching up. Be safe, everyone.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 07:45 pm
Hi Guys! Great to see everyone again.

Been a very, very busy summer (and may get busier what with Isabel and all). Daughter married June 14th; son married August 15th. Closed on LI house August 26th; mover came August 27th; closed on PA house on August 28th with mover coming a couple of hours later and here we are -- tired and a bit sore from all the moving related physical activities, but we did it and we're glad (except miss daughter and son, of course).

Greenhouse is lovely -- I sit in it regularly just to admire though won't be using it for it's intended purpose until late winter. Too many other things to do. There is an area for a huge, huge garden but it's totally covered with 4-5 foot weeds at the moment and little bunnies hiding in the weeds. The weeds will go with the first heavy frost and the bunnies will probably go (if they haven't already) when the realize that our golden retriever has arrived and she thinks bunnies are made to chase.

Trying to catch up on things around A2K (virtually impossible, I'm afraid) but hope to be around permanently from now on.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 07:55 pm
YAY!
0 Replies