Everything Eaten Yesterday

ossobuco

Sun 31 Jul, 2011 08:29 pm
yesterday, 140 (-2)

2 coffees, dabs of 1/2 and 1/2
multigrain and seed flatbread, with butter schmear, micro warmed

sturdy bowl of corn soup (leftover tomato sauce, can of corn with juice, drained small can of diced jalapenos, a bunch of chopped scallion greens, some chicken stock, 1 diced peeled smallish baking potato (boiled first)

3 whole pickled carrots

pink salmon/mayo on pan bigio (a sour dough mixed wheat bread)
small romaine salad, o oil/balsamic dressing

2 white wines on lots of ice
ice/squeezed orange topped w/ water x 2
jespah

Mon 1 Aug, 2011 04:47 am
@jespah,
Yesterday:
Breakfast: Cheese and veg omelet, 1 serving
Strawberries, fresh, 1 cup
Fiber One bread, 2 pcs
Jam, 1 T

Lunch: Cheddar, 1 oz
Broccoli, 1 C
Baked Potato, with skin, 1 large

Dinner: 14 oz mixed greens salad
Skim milk, 1 C
Turkey burger
Broccoli, 1 C
Quinoia, 1/4 c

Snack: Stonyfield yogurt, ff peach
Fiber One 90 cal chocolate peanut butter bar, 1 serving
Skinny cow w/caramel

CALORIES 1776 CARBS 301 g a bit high FAT 41 g PROTEIN 121 g Sodium: 1738 mg

Starting Weight: 346 lbs.
Current Weight: 208.2 lbs.
Difference from last week: down 1.2 lbs.
Overall difference: down 137.8 lbs.
sharonpustejovsky

Mon 1 Aug, 2011 04:19 pm
@Joe Nation,
Here goes:
Piece of toast - choose the toast or the bagel, don't eat both
coffee - good
Breakfast Steak (8oz) - choose the steak or the three eggs, not both
Three Eggs
Bagel\Butter - use the butter very sparingly or do away with completely
Orange Juice - good
-
Fruit Salad - good
Lamb stew leftovers - choose the lamb stew or pizza, not both
Piece of leftover pizza - if you have the pizza, consider putting raw vegetables on it before reheating it
-
double dip chocolate ice cream cone - not so good - maybe substitute with a scoop of low-carb vanilla ice cream with some dried fruit or nut topping; or having a few pieces of dark chocolate
-
1/2 pound hunk of French Raclette cheese - that's a lot of cheese! Choose that or the wrap, but not both
Wrap made of turkey, swiss and ham - I think this would be the better choice
Mayo - use very sparingly or do away with completely
-
1/200.1/+1.1

I realize that you're burning a lot of calories, but it's easy to still eat too much. Also be careful of over-exercising because it can put your body in survival mode where it will store very calorie. I finally lost almost 40 pounds when I learned some of this the hard way. I also run long-distance, and have to be careful not to eat too much in spite of this. When I lower my calories to under 2000 a day, I start losing weight. I weight 150 and am 5' 7". At one time I was almost 180. I have been down to 140, but have gained some extra weight this summer - why? From eating a bit too much, especially at the dinner meal - eating things like fatty meats and cheeses. It is something I have to really stay on top off, because I'm drawn to rich, fatty foods.

Basically eat half as much high cholesterol, saturated fat laden food and replace with higher fiber/lower fat choices. Eat as many raw veggies as you can stomach. Limit the bready carbs to one or two a day. Try to ensure that those breads are of the higher fiber sort.

What worked for me, also, was making my largest meal of the day at lunchtime. When I did this, for the first few nights I felt a bit hungry but my body quickly adjusted.

Keep up the good work! The running is fantastic - just try to remember not to push yourself too hard and to keep your heart rate in a zone where you can comfortably talk while running; otherwise, you are over-exercising, and your body will resist losing weight.

I'm currently training for a marathon.
0 Replies

Thomas

Mon 1 Aug, 2011 07:39 pm
After a calorically slothful and gluttonous spring and summer, I am going back to a more regimented diet. Glad this thread is still alive.

Day 1

Weight = 231 lb;
weight loss so far = 0 lb;
total calories worked out: 1800 (3 hour run at pulse 135);
total calories eaten: 1800.

Breakfast: Blueberry Müsli (600 cal):Lunch: Tex-Mex chicken wrap with a side of Edamame (600 cal)

Dinner: tomato-avocado salad with whole-wheat bread (600 cal)
  • 3 tomatoes
  • 1 avocado,
  • juice of one lemon as dressing,
  • salt, and pepper, and fresh scallion as spices
sharonpustejovsky

Mon 1 Aug, 2011 07:54 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas, your meals sound incredibly healthy and delicious! Considering that you burned off as many calories as you ate, do you think you are eating enough? Maybe you could have added 500-1000 more calories and still be losing weight? Although two days ago, I burned around 1500 calories and didn't eat all that much the day of the run. I've been making up for that yesterday and today!

Day 1

Weight = 150 lb;
weight loss so far = 0 lb;
total calories worked out: 0 (still recovering from 15+ mile run on Saturday)
total calories eaten: I'm guessing somewhere around 1800

Breakfast:
Bowl of Fruit and Fiber cereal
Skim milk

Lunch:
Indian buffet - mainly rice with chicken curry, a vegetable dish and chicken tikka masala
A bit of watermelon

a few pieces of dark chocolate

Dinner: tortilla chips & pico de gallo
1 cup of black beans and rice

Spearmint tea
sharonpustejovsky

Mon 1 Aug, 2011 07:57 pm
@ossobuco,
The corn soup sounds delish.
ossobuco

Mon 1 Aug, 2011 08:10 pm
@sharonpustejovsky,
Thanks, Sharon. I'm what I think of as a refrigerator soup maker. They are virtually never the same, and not usually so much from cans as this last one - I eat many vats of soups over a year's time. I'm down something like 45 pounds from my starting weight back around mid 2005, pre this thread. At this point, my own interest is to keep on keeping on, and not lose too much more weight.

Meantime, you were responding to JoeNation's original starting the thread post -a while ago, that one.
He's since run the NYC marathon quite well a couple of times..
sharonpustejovsky

Mon 1 Aug, 2011 08:44 pm
@ossobuco,
Thanks for sharing the recipe. I love soups because they get better as they sit in the fridge. I just realized that post was from a long time ago. To have run the NYC marathon is a huge accomplishment - more than once even more so. I'm sure by this point he knows what is working for him diet-wise - I'm sure I could learn a thing or two from him! I will be lucky to make it through my first marathon in October.
ossobuco

Mon 1 Aug, 2011 09:03 pm
@sharonpustejovsky,
I cook something like 98% of my own food, which I mostly enjoy but can be a big pain, so soups work for me no matter the season as they are multi-day. I'm moving off of canned beans to my own cooked dried beans, that I package and freeze, and to similar efforts like making my own bread, which is starting to pay off. But, some days my food is a little on the weird side.

People on the thread have all sorts of different weight issues and nutrition points of view, but are long time supportive. Not all of us post every day, or even every month, but we tend to come back.
0 Replies

jespah

Tue 2 Aug, 2011 05:59 am
@jespah,
Yesterday:
Breakfast: Cheerios, 1 c
Low fat peanut butter, 1 T
Fiber One bread, 2 pcs
Jam, 1 T

Lunch: Egg beaters, 1 C
Broccoli, 1 cup
Tofu, 1/4 cube
Cheddar, 1 oz

Dinner: Broccoli, 1 cup
Skim milk, 1 C
14 oz mixed greens salad
Small baked potato w/skin
Skinless fried chicken

90 calorie fiber one bar
Skinny cow w/caramel

CALORIES 1779 CARBS 252 g FAT 50 g PROTEIN 105 g Sodium: 2427 mg slightly high
Thomas

Tue 2 Aug, 2011 07:06 am
@sharonpustejovsky,
Welcome to the community, Sharon! And thanks for the compliment. I don't do 3-hour runs every day, so one day of taking no net calories in won't hurt me. I'm feeling wonderful today.

But even if I did train that much on a permanent basis, 1800 calories in, 1800 calories out wouldn't starve me the way eating nothing and not exercising would. In my experience, if I eat 1800 calories in a carb-heavy composition, and train slowly and long (so I get most of my burn out of body fat), I lose a lot of weight and don't feel depleted.
0 Replies

Thomas

Tue 2 Aug, 2011 07:54 am
@sharonpustejovsky,
PS: Looking at your meals, I notice I haven't eaten Indian in months. I need to fit that in someday soon.

PPS: I just read about your October Marathon. May I ask which one you're running?
sharonpustejovsky

Tue 2 Aug, 2011 08:14 am
@Thomas,
Thanks for the welcome. It probably wouldn't hurt me to eat a little less myself. I'm still trying to find that balance between eating too much and not enough.

I try to treat myself to Indian once a week. In the more rural suburb where I live, they just opened an Indian restaurant and I was thrilled to not have to drive 20 miles into the city for Indian food. My girls love it, too. When I was pregnant with my oldest, I really craved and ate it quite a bit and didn't gain too much weight at all. For some reason, with my second, I ate more fast food and junky food and my weight gain reflected that.

As I get older I am finding that the less I eat, the less I seem to want to eat. I continue to desire fresher tasting foods. But when the bad food is staring me in the face it can be hard to say no. I rarely keep it in the house.

I wanted to ask if you have read "Slow Burn" by Stu Mittleman. He is a well-known runner from Massachusetts. The book was published quite a while ago, but I've been trying to follow most of his principles. He says what you said - that keeping the pace slower and easier will keep you in the fat-burning mode. So when I run, I try to focus a lot more on endurance/slow & steady than worrying about my time. I've read in other books that you need to eat enough to keep your body in fat-burning mode, not fat-storing mode. Of course, if you eat too little or too much you will store.

It sounds like you have the right balance. I'm glad you don't always run off everything you ate that day, or at least make up for it later. I had a very hard time several years ago shedding pounds because I was working out too hard and trying to diet too much. Instead of running slow and steady, I would run as hard as my body would allow for 3-5 miles. I lifted as much weight as I could bear. One month, I was actually #1 for weight-lifting females (it was tracked on computer). But I felt awful, not refreshed afterwards. I hadn't read "Slow Burn" yet. I also would religiously watch my food intake, and was astounded at why that scale wouldn't budge. I had all of this nice muscle underneath the stubborn layers of fat, and the weight mostly seemed to be going to my waistline. I finally figured that I was going through the early stages of menopause.

Even if I am starting to go through that, peri-menopause isn't what was causing the resistance to losing weight. After moving to another state, and leaving behind some very stressful family situations (the higher cortisol levels contributed), AND reading Stu's book about slowing down and actually enjoying exercise, I was pleased to drop 35+ pounds in 3-4 months. Yet I was eating, and more than I had been when I was working-out too hard. I was eating the right kinds of foods, simple and easy to prepare, but not as much pre-packaged or fast food. When we first moved, I didn't even run for a while. I walked in the neighborhood for the first two years - getting a dog helped. Then I started to get back into running, but have been trying to do it right this time. I completed my first 1/2 marathon last fall, plan on doing another 1/2 this fall, as well as my first full. I don't know if I'll ever run another full beyond this one, but I would like to continue running halfs. They are very enjoyable and doable for me. Training for the full requires a lot of extra hours and I have to get up much earlier than I want to to do it - but I'm glad I'm doing it. My girls are excited to see me do it and it encourages them in their exercising. My husband cycles and does not especially care for running, so we all sometimes bike together.
sharonpustejovsky

Tue 2 Aug, 2011 08:20 am
@Thomas,
It is the Southern Tennessee Plunge Marathon. It is held on October 1st.
0 Replies

Thomas

Tue 2 Aug, 2011 08:02 pm
@sharonpustejovsky,
No, I haven't read "Slow burn" yet. I found the method by trial and error, more or less. I'm glad it's working so well for you, after your bumpy journey before.
0 Replies

jespah

Wed 3 Aug, 2011 05:26 am
@jespah,
Yesterday:
Sunflower butter, 1 T
Fiber One bread, 2 pcs
Jam, 1 T

Lunch: Tofu, extra firm, 0.25 block
Monterey Cheese, 1 oz
Broccoli, 1 cup
Egg substitute, liquid (Egg Beaters), 1 cup

Dinner: Whole wheat pasta
Primavera (light tomato sauce w/vegs), 1 serving
Skim milk, 1 C
14 oz mixed greens salad
Guacamole, 1 T

90 calorie fiber bar
Skinny cow with caramel

CALORIES 1729 CARBS 266 g FAT 41 g PROTEIN 102 g Sodium: 2379 mg
jespah

Thu 4 Aug, 2011 05:32 am
@jespah,
Yesterday:
Fiber One bread, 2 pcs
Jam, 1 T

Lunch: Falafel, 1 serving
Whole wheat tortilla
Broccoli, 1 cup
Pecans, 1/2 oz (10 halves)

Skim milk, 1 C
14 oz mixed greens salad
Guacamole, 1 T

90 calorie fiber bar

CALORIES 1642 CARBS 275 g FAT 45 g PROTEIN 68 g Sodium: 2220 mg
jespah

Fri 5 Aug, 2011 04:49 am
@jespah,
Yesterday:
Fiber One bread, 2 pcs
Jam, 1 T

Lunch: Shrimp, cooked, 3 oz
Soba Noodles, 1 cup
Broccoli, 1 cup
Stir Fry Sauce, 1 tbsp

Skim milk, 1 C
14 oz mixed greens salad
Guacamole, 1 T

90 calorie fiber bar

CALORIES 1607 CARBS 288 g FAT 27 g PROTEIN 83 g Sodium: 2248 mg
jespah

Sat 6 Aug, 2011 06:04 am
@jespah,
Yesterday:
Fiber One bread, 2 pcs
Jam, 1 T

Lunch: Turkey frank
Fiber One bread, 2 pcs
Broccoli, 1 cup
Pecans, 1/2 oz (10 halves)

Skim milk, 1 C
14 oz mixed greens salad

90 calorie fiber bar
Skinny cow with caramel

CALORIES 1761 CARBS 310 g high FAT 40 g PROTEIN 78 g Sodium: 2484 mg slightly high
jespah

Sun 7 Aug, 2011 06:56 am
@jespah,
Yesterday:
Fiber One bread, 2 pcs
Jam, 1 T

Lunch: Tuna in water, 3 oz
Fiber One bread, 2 pcs
Broccoli, 1 cup