McCain is blowing his election chances.

okie

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 08:57 am
@okie,
Whats with the picture on this website, showing McCain and Lieberman? It apparently is Citizens for McCain, Democrats and Independents for McCain, part of the McCain organization apparently, spearheaded by Lieberman. All fine and good, but the picture, does it indicate whats to come? I had heard that Lieberman told McCain, do not pick me for the sake of your campaign. We will see.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 08:59 am
@okie,
God, I hope so. I really do. Lieberman is despised by pretty much everyone. Your convention would be a nightmare.

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 09:03 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Now now, don't start the "bluster," cyclops. Ha ha.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 09:04 am
@okie,
Looks like it will be officially announced at 11 AM tomorrow, with various news organizations trying to break the news beforehand.

I think it'll be Romney, Lieberman, or Pawlenty, and any of those three choices make me happy. Smile

This all goes back to defining who McCain REALLY is. He's been polling better than "Republicans" in general because people have this general idea of him as a maverick, good guy, etc. A lot of blanks are being filled in with peoples' own preferences. And the people who think he's all mavericky will be unhappy with Romney; the people who think he's all conservative will be unhappy with Lieberman. And more defining will happen -- which will shed supporters (if only down the road).

Funfunfun...
sozobe

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 09:05 am
@sozobe,
Oh and nobody really knows Pawlenty -- so while he won't have the instant shed effect, he wouldn't help much either.

Maybe that means it'll be him though, dunno.

I'm leaning Romney at this point.
okie

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 09:18 am
@sozobe,
Agreed, a pretty good summary even though we are on opposite sides of this. I also think the main reason he is gaining in polls of late is because he is emphasizing conservative values of late. If he abandons that, I don't think he can win. After all, might as well vote Obama if you want a liberal. The three you name seems to be the choices, unless some darkhorse emerges, or name like oft mentioned Tom Ridge emerges.

I think Romney would be his best choice, and one I favor, but somehow I think McCain will go another way. Whatever he does, will tell us more about McCain, what he will gravitate back to, which I think his natural inclination is back to more liberal environs. Hes like a liberal horse in a conservative yoke, he wants to keep pulling free and going wild again.
Brand WTF

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 09:36 am
@okie,
A Lieberman pick would be the worst choice for McSenile...he has to pick someone more to the right...also younger. Romney hasn't done himself too much damage and would bring energy and confidence to the ticket.

The relationship between Mitt and John can work I think despite of the political barbs of late.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 09:53 am
@Brand WTF,
Is the the new Brand X? Welcome back!

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 09:58 am
@sozobe,
Leno had a good joke about this -

Quote:
I didn't recognize the name, so I googled him, and Google said:

"Who?"

Cycloptichorn
OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 09:59 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Laughing
0 Replies

Brand WTF

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 10:04 am
@Cycloptichorn,
hehe...yup, couldn't get back in the new site with my old name for some reason so I went with Brand WTF.

Thanks for the welcome.
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 10:07 am
IMO, as far as ability, resume, common sense, and probable best qualified to be President, Romney is the pick. The reason I think he might not be it is the image problem. Two rich white guys. . . .how many houses do they own between them, and all that. . . .entirely unfair criticisms but one that will be used effectively with the American brain dead who vote.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 10:33 am
@Foxfyre,
You are correct, Fox, that we would/will use the (12) houses the two of them own against them, fair or unfair. Since when did Republicans start using 'fair' as a political measurement? If it works, it's fair.

One of the things people don't discuss often is the enthusiasm gap, but it's stark. Obama sold out a 75k person stadium in less then a day. McCain is looking to announce his VP tomorrow in a 10k auditorium - and they can't fill it up:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/content/oh/story/news/local/2008/08/28/ddn082808tickets.html

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 11:05 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Rock concerts routinely fill up stadiums, cyclops. McCain is running a campaign instead.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 11:09 am
@okie,
A shitty, unexciting one. And you know it. Even a political campaign ought to be able to get 10k people to such an important event.

JFK filled up a stadium as well, look how poorly it worked out for him Laughing

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 11:54 am
@okie,
http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/08/28/politics/horserace/entry4392226.shtml

"John McCain told a Pittsburgh radio station that he has not decided on a running mate yet, the AP reports. McCain would not tell KDKA which way he was leaning but “talked very highly” about former Pennsylvania Governor Tom Ridge who he called a “great friend,” according to the wire service.

Both the Politico and the New York Times reported last night that McCain had made up his mind on the selection, both citing sources either with the campaign or close to it. McCain is expected to unveil his announcement formally at a morning rally tomorrow in Dayton, Ohio."

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 11:56 am
@okie,
Okie, he just can't remember which one he picked, is all.

Probably has the guy sleeping in his living room and can't remember which one it is Laughing

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 12:01 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I think its either Romney or Ridge. A tossup.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 12:03 pm
@okie,
You'd better hope it's not either one of those, as both would be a disaster.

Ridge, and incompetent fool of a Bushie, would only tie McCain even tighter to Bush.

Mittens for Kittens, well. You know what putting another ultra-rich guy on the ticket is going to do...

It's been reported today that Pawlenty has canceled all his speaking engagements for tomorrow and Saturday...

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 12:09 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Then maybe its Pawlenty. I read a news clip indicating McCain had Ridge and Romney coming to Ohio, but of course they would anyway. You wouldn't think any Republican would be any good, just as I think Biden is a terrible vp choice.

I don't think now that it will be Lieberman at least, but fact remains, McCain is unpredictable.