Scratch John Edwards Off List of Dem Veep Possibles

mysteryman

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 11:35 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
and because we're basically a bunch of nosy rubberneckers?

Well, there is that also.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 11:41 am
I call this particular demographic the UH-OH squad... I'm sure in your line MM you encounter this squad by the hundreds.....
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 02:51 pm
Re: BBB
mysteryman wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Why is everyone arguing about an unsubstantiated rumor about John Edwards as if it were true when another man has admitted being the father of the child in question?

BBB

Because his name isnt on the birth certificate (there is no father listed).
Because according to some reports, he never spends anytime with the woman or the child, and isnt paying support.
If he is the father, he isnt acting like one.

And because Edwards hasnt denied it.

Interesting that NI hasn't published the pics of him at the scene yet.

I think they are holding them, daring him to deny he was there.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 03:30 pm
Or it was all a bluff in the first place and they don't have any.

I don't have a particular opinion, but I saw somewhere that they were promising to publish this weekend (the one that's almost over) and nada thus far...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 10:08 am
Re: BBB
mysteryman wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Why is everyone arguing about an unsubstantiated rumor about John Edwards as if it were true when another man has admitted being the father of the child in question?

BBB

Because his name isnt on the birth certificate (there is no father listed).
Because according to some reports, he never spends anytime with the woman or the child, and isnt paying support.
If he is the father, he isnt acting like one.

And because Edwards hasnt denied it.

...and because you can pay anyone to say anything...

In the final analysis, this doesn't rock my boat, but he does appear to have had an affair and a baby. I think HE's the one who should have cared about his wife...
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 10:14 am
Are you saying that Edwards likely paid someone to claim to be the father of the child?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 10:19 am
I don't have enough information to make any valuable assertions--but if I were scrambling to put the lid on a bimbo eruption of this kind--this is one of the things I would do.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 10:23 am
Yeah, I agree.

Unless telling the truth would put you in the clear.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 10:26 am
real life wrote:
Yeah, I agree.

Unless telling the truth would put you in the clear.

laughing....Why do I really think that just wouldn't help Edwards...?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 01:29 pm
Here are some photos. Not the photos I expected (Edwards running from the NE people) but photos of Edwards at a window and (very blurrily) with a baby. I'm not convinced, but seems like the NE is parceling out some proof and I may get there. Or not.

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/exclusive_john_edwards_love_child_photos/celebrity/65258
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 02:48 pm
Something's not adding up here.

The original article said:

Quote:
Said Butterfield: "Edwards was not carrying anything. He walked in alone. He was wearing a blue dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up
http://www.nationalenquirer.com/sen_john_edwards_caught_with_mistress_and_love_child_in_la_hotel/celebrity/65193

These pics look like the man is wearing scrubs from a hospital, not a dress shirt. There's no collar and no sleeves to roll up.

Perhaps Butterfield's description is faulty or the pics are bogus, or both.

So far, no go on this.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 02:57 pm
The photos look like a blue t-shirt with sweat stains/ water in a "V" at the neck. (In the one that's in better focus, his neck looks wet.) It could have been worn under a blue dress shirt that was then taken off later.

But yeah, I don't consider these photos to solid evidence. Seems like there's still too much wiggle room.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 04:49 pm
I'm conflicted as to whether or not this story has real relevance and is newsworthy.

It certainly gets play around the water cooler, but is that a legitmate indication of the story being news-worthy?

Whether or not it is news-worthy, it is certainly A2K worthy, and so the scolds about possibly perpetuating a false story, or having consideration for the feelings of Mrs Edwards are pompous and, considering the catalog of topics discussed here, hypocritical.

As much as some folks here would like to think this forum is a hatchery for brilliant ideas, religiously monitored by operatives of both parties, it really is nothing more than a cyber-water cooler.

This is not, at all, to denigrate A2K -- quite the opposite. People coming together to share their opinions on current affairs is a very good thing whether the venue be the area around a water cooler or an internet forum.

This flap almost certainly has killed whatever consideration there may have been for Veep Edwards. If so, who does that reflect upon? The NE, voters, A2Kers, or the average Joe? I don't think so.

It's not the greatest issue of our time, but it is interesting to consider.

I do think though that what's good for the goose is good for the gander, and if the main stream media will report insinuations about the personal lives of Republicans, they should do the same when the subject is a Democrat. Is this really something to debate?

Politicians have, deliberately, become Rock Stars, and as such their claim to privacy is a lot thinner than that of you or I.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 06:11 pm
I'm not sure I ever thought he was on the VP list, to tell the truth. But assuming he was, yeah, I can't see Obama inviting this drama into the campaign.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 09:16 pm
With his record as a loser in 2004, and a scant draw in the primaries in 2008, I don't think Obama would've given serious consideration to Edwards as veep.

Now an appointment to the federal bench.........

.............for a loyal soldier like Edwards, it could've been a definite possibility. And still might be if the Senate that must confirm him is Democratic. Even if this story is true.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 10:16 am
John Edwards Needs To Stop Taking The Fall!
John Edwards Needs To Stop Taking The Fall!
by Lee Stranahan
Posted August 6, 2008

I've been looking into the John Edwards affair scandal for a couple of weeks now since I wrote my initial piece about it - Say It Ain't So, John. The well known blog Daily Kos brilliantly answered charges that there's liberal bias on the Edwards affair by banning me for discussing it.

I've tried to weigh evidence on this subject. There isn't much thats one hundred percent certain in this case. I tried to restrict myself to ONLY what we know for sure, I've come to one clear and inarguable conclusion.

John Edwards needs to stop being victimized by his former employees Andrew Young and Rielle Hunter.

Let's take the Edwards camp at their word on this scandal and see where that takes us.

One of the few things beyond dispute is that Hunter and Young both claim that they are the parents of young Francis Quinn Hunter, born this past February. Young is a former assistant to Edwards and Hunter was hired by the Edwards campaign to produce some short films about John Edwards. Andrew Young is married and has children. Along the way -- and during the campaign - it seems that they began having an affair that resulted in Ms. Hunter's pregnancy. Around the same time, a horrible rumor surfaced that it was Senator Edwards who was having the affair.

Obviously, it was the affair between Young and Hunter that caused this entire mess. If this is all true, then their affair set off a chain reaction that ended with an innocent man being accused falsely.

Yes, they are private citizens. Please note I'm not judging their affair or wanting to peer into their private lives. My concern is practical -- the unintended consequence of their romance was to cause a kerfluffle that smeared their boss, John Edwards. Their affair created the rumors of the scandal and it's their responsibility to clear up the mess they made.

John Edwards has taken the fall for these two for far too long. It speaks volumes about Senator Edwards' character that he has suffered the slings and arrows of suspicion while Young and Hunter frolic safely behind the walls of a gated community in North Carolina or flaunt their illicit relationship in front of the good people of Santa Barbara. Now John Edwards is forced to flee press events and duck reporters. Beyond all that, there are reports (now with photos) that Senator Edwards took the time out of his busy schedule to meet with Ms. Hunter recently -- only to be thanked with MORE rumors. They say no good deed goes unpunished and once again Rielle Hunter did nothing to help clear up the confusion.

I say, "Enough, John! Hunter and Young don't deserve a friend like you and your family and supporters deserve better! So there!"

It's obvious they have no sympathy for the much-admired Elizabeth Edwards. How does they sleep at night knowing the pain that he must be subjecting the Edwards family to? Andrew Young could have been man enough to put his name on the birth certificate and they could certainly end this embarrassment by simply taking a DNA test to end all the silly speculation. Yet, they make cryptic statements through their lawyers while the brave Senator Edwards must face the press and public.

Do Hunter and Young not care about Edward's agenda, either? These selfish people seem to feel no qualms about creating a diversion from Senator Edward's important work.

When asked, Edwards dismissed this story as 'tabloid trash.' Wrong answer. The poor reporters at the National Enquirer were another of Hunter and Young's victims.

What I suggest Senator Edwards SHOULD have done is state, "You're confused. It wasn't me who had the affair with Ms. Hunter; it was Andrew Young. Both of them have already admitted it publicly. As the son of a mill worker, I tell you that if I had known that Mr. Young and Ms. Hunter would leave me hanging out to dry, I would have cut off our relationship with a eight and half inch compound miter saw. Instead, I have tried to shield them even at the expense of my own reputation. I have allowed these rumors about me to continue even though I knew the truth out of a misguided sense of loyalty to these people. So, with deep regret I must both renounce and reject my former friends and employees."

I await such statement from John Edwards. After all, he has nothing to hide.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 10:26 am
Edwards' role at party's convention threatened
Edwards apparently is sacrificing his own political future to protect his dear friend Andrew Young. Edwards has a strong marriage. Young's may not be as strong. ---BBB
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 10:32 am
Painting John Edwards as the hapless victim of these brilliantly conniving lovers is just too much. This is a great piece of satire and I commend Lee Stranahan. Laughing

Yeah we're all waiting for him to deny it, but it seems he can't bring himself to do it.

He's a skilled lawyer and smooth talker, but even he will have a hard time explaining why , if he's not involved with Ms Rielle, he arrived at her hotel in the middle of the night, slipped in a side door and ran to the john and locked the stall when he saw a reporter.

Why doesn't Edwards take a paternity test?

Since Young has 'admitted' the child is his, surely he wouldn't mind taking a paternity test too?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 10:41 am
Re: Edwards' role at party's convention threatened
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Edwards apparently is sacrificing his own political future to protect his dear friend Andrew Young. Edwards has a strong marriage. Young's may not be as strong. ---BBB

Does that make any sense, though? Young has already publicly "admitted" he's the father. That's the baseline assumption at this point. Do you think that, what, Edwards staged the hotel meaning to take suspicion off of Young? I don't see how Edwards could be "protecting" Young at this point.

I don't think this is particularly newsworthy and I'm pleasantly surprised that the mainstream media has been holding back on it. I'm a sucker for mysteries, though, any mystery -- I just want to know What Really Happened. (Like FreeDuck, I don't think Edwards was on the VP shortlist -- the AG thing was more likely, but dunno. I maintain that what he does as a politician is far more important than his personal life, though yes my opinion of him will go down a notch if it turns out to be true, mostly because of Elizabeth.) (Though yes, there is the possibility that she knew and was OK with it -- still seems eminently stupid of him though and bound to create a media circus that would ultimately be damaging.) (IF it's true. Still reserving judgment there.) (I think that's enough parentheses...)
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 06:43 pm
John Edwards should be thanking his lucky stars that he's no longer available for this humongous cesspool.

It sure is ironic that he could be found "unsuitable" given what's been there for the last eight years.
0 Replies