Scratch John Edwards Off List of Dem Veep Possibles

JTT

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 09:37 pm
Couldn't be you, Bill, that emoticon has teeth.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 09:53 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Remora… Laughing

I wish I said that.

Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 10:01 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Remora… Laughing

I wish I said that.

Very Happy Very Happy

Don't be too hard on yourself, Finn, for a conservative you come up with the odd humorous thing.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 09:44 am
Birth Certificate for Alleged Edward love child
Charlotte Paper Obtains Birth Certificate for Alleged Edwards 'Love Child'
By E&P Staff
Published: July 31, 2008 10:15 PM ET

Following up on claims by the National Enquirer regarding former Sen. John Edwards, the Charlotte Observer in his home state of North Carolina posted a story on Thursday revealing that it had taken the extraordinary step of obtaining a certain birth certificate.

It is for a female child born earlier this year to a woman named Rielle Druck aka Rielle Hunter. The Enquirer has alleged since last year that the baby was fathered by Edwards, and routinely refers to it as his "love child" -- but no firm evidence for this has yet been produced. Edwards' friend, a former campaign finance director named Andrew Young, has since said that he is the dad, but the birth certificate, it turns out, does not a list a father.

The birth certificate, obtained by The Observer today, shows that a Frances Quinn Hunter was born Feb. 27 at Cottage Hospital in Santa Barbara, Ca., to Rielle Hunter, age 44. Hunter was a videographer on Edwards' presidential campaign last year.

The paper's Web site -- which unveiled a long-awaited redesign today -- even offers a PDF of the birth certificate. McClatchy Newspapers, which owns the two major North Carolina dailies, has distributed the story to all of its papers.

Asked Thursday why no father was listed, Hunter's attorney, Robert Gordon of New York, said, "A lot of women do that." Gordon declined to comment further.

"The Enquirer alleged in a story last week that Edwards visited Hunter and the child at a Beverly Hills hotel," the News & Observer in Raleigh continues, in its report, "and then was confronted by its reporters as he was leaving in the middle of the night. The newspaper hasn't published any photos of the alleged encounter.

"On Wednesday, Edwards declined to answer questions about the allegations."
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 09:56 am
It wouldn't surprise me if his wife already knew... and possibly sanctioned it.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 10:07 am
Why isn't John Edwards answering reporters' questions?
Posted on Thursday, July 31, 2008
Why isn't John Edwards answering reporters' questions?
By Lisa Zagaroli | McClatchy Newspapers

Only three weeks ago, John Edwards fielded media questions on his chances of filling the vice-presidential slot on Democrat Barack Obama's ticket or a cabinet position in his administration.

On Wednesday, the former U.S. senator, presidential candidate and 2004 vice-presidential nominee refused to answer questions that took a tabloid turn.

About a dozen reporters and photojournalists attended a speech Edwards gave to an AARP Foundation symposium on poverty and aging in Washington.

Afterward, he avoided a crowd of waiting reporters, at least some of whom wanted to question him about recent reports in the National Enquirer that alleged a sexual relationship between Edwards and a former campaign videographer and an ensuing coverup.

Citing unnamed sources, the Enquirer published a story in October claiming that Edwards was having an affair with a woman who had filmed a series of campaign videos, and that he had gotten her pregnant.

Last week, the Enquirer posted a story online claiming that Edwards had visited the woman, Rielle Hunter, and the child July 21 at a Beverly Hills hotel.

In October, the woman posted an online statement denying the first story.

In December, a male campaign worker for Edwards, Andrew Young, claimed paternity of the woman's then-unborn child.

On Wednesday, Edwards apparently exited through a side area used by the kitchen staff at Washington's historic Hotel Monaco.

Edwards emerged near the rear of the hotel with two men. When approached by a reporter, Edwards said, "Can't do it now, I'm sorry" and quickly walked past.

Asked about the Beverly Hilton last week, Edwards said "sorry" and got into a waiting car with the other men. Asked twice more to address the Enquirer story, Edwards was silent until the car doors were closed.

The Enquirer described in its story its reporters' attempts to chase down Edwards that night. The tabloid reported Edwards ran and hid in a restroom to elude them.

The story has prompted buzz in the blogosphere and become fodder for jokes by late-night hosts Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien, raising questions about his prospects for a spot in an Obama administration.

But Edwards has said little about the allegations. At a July 23 speech in Houston, Edwards responded to a reporter's question about the Enquirer story by referring to it as "tabloid trash."
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 04:19 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if his wife already knew... and possibly sanctioned it.

What makes you think she would sanction his inidelity and fathering someone else's child?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 04:44 pm
Let's assume for argument purposes that she wouldn't have been for the affair in the first place, say as a concept. Though some marriages are different, I'll propose that as a given.

But given the reality of a child - if the child being his is a reality and we still don't know that, do we? - she might be for a) his responsibility to care for the child, or, b) his need to make payments to mollify the situation, re the child's care and the woman's support.

All pretty nightmarish for any couple, and in particular for them, given her health situation and his fame, with privacy hard to obtain. Not to even get into the probably multiple emotions.

Let's say I think he was a cad, if all true, re the affair. I still don't know that this meeting, assuming the meeting is true as well, was a so-called assignation. I'd think of it as equally likely to be taking care of business and visitation of child.

Most of us have been cads at one or another time in our lives, in some way or another. It's too bad, I think, for all involved except the Enquirer to have it play on the world stage.

Re Edwards possible career as AG, that seems like no dice, but it might have been no dice anyway.

If true, it reminds me a little of Spitzer, the NY Governor. And to some extent Bill Clinton. And others across party lines. Some playing with fire for fun. I think that penchant will always be with us, whatever the decrying. It might even make the world go round part of its route.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 10:10 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Let's assume for argument purposes that she wouldn't have been for the affair in the first place, say as a concept. Though some marriages are different, I'll propose that as a given.

But given the reality of a child - if the child being his is a reality and we still don't know that, do we? - she might be for a) his responsibility to care for the child, or, b) his need to make payments to mollify the situation, re the child's care and the woman's support.

All pretty nightmarish for any couple, and in particular for them, given her health situation and his fame, with privacy hard to obtain. Not to even get into the probably multiple emotions.

Let's say I think he was a cad, if all true, re the affair. I still don't know that this meeting, assuming the meeting is true as well, was a so-called assignation. I'd think of it as equally likely to be taking care of business and visitation of child.

Most of us have been cads at one or another time in our lives, in some way or another. It's too bad, I think, for all involved except the Enquirer to have it play on the world stage.

Re Edwards possible career as AG, that seems like no dice, but it might have been no dice anyway.

If true, it reminds me a little of Spitzer, the NY Governor. And to some extent Bill Clinton. And others across party lines. Some playing with fire for fun. I think that penchant will always be with us, whatever the decrying. It might even make the world go round part of its route.

Of course it's possible that Mrs Edwards, for some strange reason, sanctions her husband's infidelity, but is it likely?

Of course it's possible that Edwards was visiting the woman and his/her son in a hotel to give her cash in an envelope and to play Dad to the boy in the wee hours of the night, but is it likely?

The boy may not be Edwards son (at present there is no evidence that he is) in which case it is a bit more creepy to realize the woman brought him to the place of her assignation.

Many of us have been cads, but only a few of us consider themselves special enough to lead us all. Since all of us have not been cads, it would seem we could find worthy leaders from the segment who have not, and that we should not feel restrained from expecting better from those who leads us.

The flaws of John Edwards do not begin and end with this possible infidelity If he was the man he claims to be he would not be hiding, pale faced, in a hotel bathroom for 30 minutes while he frantically figured out an escape route.

This is the dilemma of neophytes like Edwards and Obama: With no substantive record of accomplishment to recommend them they advance on the merits of their rhetoric, and the claims of their character. History has shown us that the former is a virtue shared by saints and monsters alike. With only character left to promote, it had better be pretty clean.

If you don't have a real problem with Edward's apparent infidelity, fine. I disagree with the standards you expect our leaders to meet, but you think and feel what you will. The big question is how did you react to the revelation that Newt Gingrich was engaged in infidelity while his wife lied on her death bed? Did you, at any time, suppose that Mrs Gingrich might have sanctioned Newt's cheating ways?

Gingrich is a brilliant man who is deeply flawed. Edwards is a mediocre man who is deeply flawed. In neither case does their attributes raise them above their flaws. Neither should be president, and neither ever will.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 12:06 pm
I don't think you'll find me quoted railing at Gingrich for that or railing at any other Republican or Libertarian in such a situation.

We do differ in that I don't use the Cad to Spouse element as a major marker for what person I'll vote for in a presidential election. That doesn't mean I somehow favor cadness.

I didn't say it was likely that Mrs. Edwards would not have minded the alleged affair.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 10:13 pm
The likelihood that this is his first affair is rather small IMHO.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 10:34 pm
So? You'll vote for X horrible if he (usually he, re who is the nominee) is the one of the two possible electable nominees who hasn't had an affair that you know of at the time of the election? Will sixteen affairs in younger days fall to three significant ones over time? Want to work up charts?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 10:41 pm
How would you like a President that is vulnerable to blackmail?

People who say 'so what ? ' to things like extra marital affairs are generally shortsighted.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 10:46 pm
That's an old crutch, re homosexuality or bisexuality or marital affairs. Consider the book Advise and Consent by Allen Drury.

Blackmail is, thank goodness, growing passe re at least those aspects of life.. Ok, maybe not, but should be passe any time now.

A lot of people would have been better off if they just said, yes, and so? It's all the hidey hidey routine that is goofy. And yes, I'll say that about Edwards as well, based only on the conjecture flume. I don't pretend to understand him or know his personal moves.

Transgression and repentence, a longtime Washington dance. How about 'some things are none of your business'?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 11:08 pm
Please elucidate on my shortsightedness.

I see no relevance re affairs and government and politics except for citizen hysteria.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 11:19 pm
real life wrote:
How would you like a President that is vulnerable to blackmail?

People who say 'so what ? ' to things like extra marital affairs are generally shortsighted.

And supporting a group of pathological liars is not shortsighted? What's so amazing is that you jokers come here with what are, seemingly, straight faces. That or a desperately shallow sense of shame. And yet you clowns are the first to play the shame game, constantly touting the "morals" of the conservative movement.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 11:33 pm
But blackmail is interesting. I've toyed with the idea for a bit that blackmail may be part of this, whatever This is, but it seems unlikely.. But that scenario would fit with a society which cares about these matters so strongly, so freakily, re its leaders.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 09:32 am
BBB
Why is everyone arguing about an unsubstantiated rumor about John Edwards as if it were true when another man has admitted being the father of the child in question? You seem to ignore that. You don't know that it is true and are reinforcing the accusation against Edwards, which is the purpose of the tabloid press story.

Does anyone care about Elizabeth Edwards or is it more fun to speculate on whether or not she knew about the "affair" that has not been proved to exist?

BBB
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 11:28 am
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Why is everyone arguing about an unsubstantiated rumor about John Edwards as if it were true when another man has admitted being the father of the child in question?

BBB

Because his name isnt on the birth certificate (there is no father listed).
Because according to some reports, he never spends anytime with the woman or the child, and isnt paying support.
If he is the father, he isnt acting like one.

And because Edwards hasnt denied it.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 11:31 am
and because we're basically a bunch of nosy rubberneckers?
0 Replies