PJV

Mon 6 Aug, 2007 02:16 pm
Re: Forteo side effects
not2ez wrote:
I have been on Forteo for five months, since March 2007, and the only side effect has been occasional growing-pain like symptoms. I'm in my late 50s so I'm certainly not growing any more but it feels like it did when I was 16 and growing several inches a year (I'm, 6'4"). The pain moves from bone to bone, e.g. femur, tibia, ulna, radius, hip joints, shoulder joints, toes, fingers, etc. It's probably because the drug is doing its job. This is a minor discomfort and would not change my mind as to usage. I trust my physician. Shocked

Wow, 6'4" ! I am only 5'3" and never felt any growing pains. I think I stopped growing at the age of 12.

My area of concern is that I don't think physicians look at the long term possible affects of the drug and how serious is the risk of bone cancer? I have never read anything that explains how they have reasoned that it is safe for humans. They say that the Forteo dose given to mice was too high and that their biology is different .....but then doesn't that mean the trial was invalid? What valid study have they done? Or are we humans to be their study over the next 20 years?
0 Replies

nuffera

Wed 22 Aug, 2007 03:41 pm
I have been taking Forteo for a little over a month. I have noticed my hot flashes, which I have because of a cancer drug I am taking, seem to have intensified more often. I have not seen this as a side effect. Has anyone else? Confused Idea
0 Replies

LauraF

Sat 1 Sep, 2007 12:32 pm
New to Forteo and concerned
I just turned 54 and have developed serious osteoporosis over the last several years. I was sent to an endocronologist who was adament that Forteo was my best choice. Apparently my 24 urine tests are showing severe loss of bone, as well as very bad results on my bone density tests. I just started Forteo this week and am dealing with the emotional turmoil of the shots, but I'm still frightened about the osteosarcoma risk. I can't find any information on how this has been effecting humans in the years it's been on the market. Does anyone have info or thoughts on this? Thanks! Laura
0 Replies

PJV

Sat 1 Sep, 2007 12:52 pm
LauraF,

Lilly says that no human has developed osteosarcoma while on the Forteo treatment. I wonder if that also means that no one developed osteosarcoma after the two year treatment? It's only been in general use for about 5 or 6 years I think.

I have been asking among doctors and really no one knows the long term effects and we can't know until the drug has been in use for more years. I am in the same boat as you. It seems it is up to each person to decide if the benefit outweighs the risk.

Pam
0 Replies

LauraF

Sat 1 Sep, 2007 07:07 pm
Unsure of Forteo risks
Hi Pam, thanks for responding! It's been a really hard decision to make. I just turned 54 and would like to think I have a good many years left ahead of me. The endocronologist says that if I don't rebuild some bone mass, the osteoporosis will kill me faster than any possible osteosarcoma might. I don't understand how osteoporosis can kill a person. I imagine the increasing fractures would be horribly painful and maybe disabling, but how would it kill us? Laura
0 Replies

psladyroadrunner

Mon 3 Sep, 2007 02:40 pm
Forteo
My husband (61 years) is just about to finish his 2nd year taking Forteo injections. He rarely has any side effects, but when he does it is usually mild cramps, nausea, and occassional depression. Before starting the injections his bone density was -2.5, and after 1-1/2 years he was a -2.1. He will be having another bone density test around October.
0 Replies

psladyroadrunner

Mon 3 Sep, 2007 03:09 pm
Forteo injections
For Laura F:
You were asking how Osteoporosis could kill someone, and I might be able to help you to understand.
My husband is 61 years old, used to be 5'8", and is currently 5'2". His bones are literally deteriorating, and "everything" on the inside is squished together. Try standing up straight and placing your hands on the bottom of your ribcage; next, put your hands on the top of your pelvic bones. You should have a good-sized area between, but my husbands rib cage is touching/resting on the pelvic bone. When everything is compressed like that many things which a person takes for granted is changed; breathing is difficult, eating is difficult,etc. My husband developed REFLUX, has had MANY broken bones, had two hip replacements at the age of forty-six, and just had the original one re-done this past February; two years ago he broke his elbow just by reaching out to grab the handle of the lawnmower as it was moving. Besides drinking plenty of milk, (which he has done his entire life), taking Viactive Calcium Supplements, vitamin D everyday, and he also is taking 50,000 IU of vitamin D twice a week for 6weeks. My husband just recently was allowed to see an Endocrinologist for the first time, and he is going to try to figure out what has caused all of this to happen.
We are both excited that the Forteo has not only slowed down the bone loss, but it has even made an improvement!
I hope that this response has helped.
0 Replies

LauraF

Mon 3 Sep, 2007 05:21 pm
Severe complications from osteoporosis
Thank you so much for sharing your husband's experience with me. My heart goes out to him, and to you, as his caregiver. I'm 54 and also have experienced multiple fractures already. I somehow didn't realize quite how severe the body collapsing could become. Or how deadly. I've been on the Forteo for five days now and am experiencing no side effects. I'm just praying that it helps!

Please tell your husband that I, and I'm sure others, are out here cheering him on! Laura
0 Replies

psladyroadrunner

Tue 4 Sep, 2007 07:15 am
Forteo Injections
Hi Laura, and thank you for the kind words. I think the most important thing for right now is knowing that there has been NO bone loss during the 2 years on Forteo; this is HUGE!!!!
Good luck to you!!
0 Replies

Larry and Carol Beachy

Wed 10 Oct, 2007 02:23 pm
traveling long distance with forteo
I have conducted numerous indepth tests to maintain the proper temperature for the forteo pen
First I will tell you of the misierable failures and products that claim to hold medicines at proper temperatures.
The Rubbermaid 12 volt travel cooler does not live up to its garrantee of mainting its contents 20 below ambiant temperature. 48 degrees was the lowest I could achive.
The containers provided by Lilly also failed and could not maintian temperatures for only a few short hours.
Purchase a medical Polar Bear canvas cooler.
Purchase three packets of techni ice and prepare as directed.
Cut one packet of techni ice into thirds.
Place the cut packets and one full packet of Techni ice in the freezer.
Place one packet of technice in the refrigerator.
Your medi cooler comes with a plastic containe to hold your forteo pens. Up to five pens. Place the pens in the container as directed and wrap the container in the refrigerated packet securing with rubber bands supplied.
Place the one third froozen packet on the bottom of the cooler, place the other 2--1/3 packets on each end.
now place your wrapped container in the middle and cover both sides and top with a froozen packet of technice. You now have your pens in the container surrounded with one refrigerated packet of teknice. This is in turn surrounded by froozen teknice on both ends sides and top and bottom. My tests show that the contents will stay between 34 and 46 degrees for 14 hours. Be sure to surround the container with the refrigerated packet to prevent your container from freezing. We have used this successfully when flying from the U.S.A to the Bahamas in extremly warm climates for 14 hours. I think it will go longer but I have not tested it for more than 14-15 hours.
Hope this helps all of you out there having difficulty traveling with forteo. L. Beachy
0 Replies

pljones

Sat 1 Dec, 2007 07:41 pm
I've just started Forteo this week and am glad to find this site. So far I've had no problems. I really hope it continues because stomach issues make biphosphates a non-option. I have noticed a drop seems to stay in my skin after injecting. Am I doing anything wrong? I'm also trying to figure out my travel options. I have a short trip next week (2 nights) and am considering ust leaving the pen home. I would rather not, but I don't have time to make any other arrangements. It's about 12 hour transit time, then a hotel. Any thouthts? If I do skip, can I still get 28 doses (30 days) from the pen?

Thanks for the info.
0 Replies

tmoore

Fri 7 Dec, 2007 09:35 am
Forteo
I have been using Forteo for 6 weeks now. My endocronologist prescribed it for me when my bone density test came back at -3.1. Because I'm only 56 years old, he said that the treatment was necessary.
I have a genetic predisposition to severe osteoporosis, as well as hypothyroidism, and am currently approaching the one-year-without-a-period mark and official menopause--all of which are contributing factors.

To date, the only side effect I know I'm experiencing is mild joint pain. Just today, my muscles feel a little weak, which can be a sign of too much calcium in the blood. That said, I didn't sleep very well last night, and the muscle weakness might be due to that, so I'm going to watch it for a week and see what happens in the meantime. I'll call my doctor if the bone pain gets worse or if the muscle weakness doesn't go away.

I don't have any trouble giving myself the injections, and while I occasionally think about the black box warning, I also think about my mother who, at 76, has a huge dowager's hump and has had to have cement injected into her spine because her bones have deteriorated so severely.

As I give myself the injection every night, I've taken to visualizing the Forteo going in as a healing light filled with love. I know that might sound crazy, but I think it's healthier to think in those terms than to be scared and thinking with each injection, "I hope this isn't giving me cancer."
0 Replies

kar3n

Fri 28 Dec, 2007 03:08 pm
Recently started Forteo
I have been using Forteo for about 3 weeks. I experience some headaches and insomnia. I have changed my injection time to help with the insomnia and Naproxin helps with the headaches. My one concern that I have read nothing about is any form of rosacia acne. My family physician believes it may be from swimming in a chlorinated poor as part of my physical therapy. I have to work on my fractures that have not healed and need the therapy. Has anyone had the breakouts on any part of their body? I have not done any swimming for 2 weeks and am not sure that this has cleared up completely. Perhaps, it is just bad timing. I have also had more asthma attacks then usual but think they were induced by a change in climate for a few days. Any ideas from anyone out there? I know this medication is necessary for all taking it and is the only hope at this time for me to cease fractures that I experience a lot just by moving my body.
0 Replies

patz53

Sun 6 Jan, 2008 05:29 pm
forteo
Hi, I am new to this website. I have been taking Forteo for the last 5 months and hope it works. I have not had any side affects. I was in the gap with medicare (on disabilty) so the medicine was very expensive but that was for 3 months. Now I pay regular price. I hope it works because I have had 4 surgeries in 2007 (which were failures) and this is my last shot. Also tomorrow I am having the test for a pain pump. Constant back pain. Good luck
0 Replies

deb75

Tue 8 Jan, 2008 12:05 pm
Forteo
My mother is 89 and has a compression fracture is her spine. The doctor has recommended forteo, but she has advanced dementia. I just started her with fosamax oral solution yesterday until we decide about the forteo. I won't necessarily know if she has any side effects because of the dementia. Has anyone else dealt with forteo and dementia?

Thanks.
0 Replies

michele heiderer

Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:45 pm
I'm a 60 year old female and have been on Forteo for two months. I have experienced no side effects except some tiredness at the beginning. My bone density was -3.1 after 5 years of Actonel, two of those taking Evista too. My osteoporosis just kept getting worse over those 5 years. My mother is 81 and hunched over in her wheel chair. I don't want to end up like her! The woman who taught me how to give the injections said that most people with back pain will notice that it will diminish after 4 months of taking Forteo. I recently noticed that my back pain seems to be almost gone, after only 6 weeks of Forteo. I, too, am not a rat, so not too concerned about the black box information.
0 Replies

orica

Sun 20 Jan, 2008 02:19 pm
FORTEO
I am on my second month of taking Forteo. My only side effect has been occasional mild dizziness. Not a problem. I tried the nasal spray and it did not help so I tried the pills to slow bone loss but that tore up my esophagus/stomach. I had one spinal compression fracture. I am at -2. I am thankful to be on forteo. It is my last hope and I think of it as a cure. Hope I am right. The injections are no big deal. The cost, even after insurance, is a big deal but it is only for a year or two at most. I think about what that money would buy if I bought furniture or a tv and I would rather have a strong back and solid bones. No hesitation here. First year I am confident not to have any problems. I have read about issues in the second year. Not there yet. I would also like to hear from someone who has taken it for longer. I understand it has been available for 5 years.
0 Replies

michele heiderer

Sat 9 Feb, 2008 10:50 pm
abdominal weight gain & Forteo?
Hello; I've been on Forteo about 4 months now. Since last Feb. I have lost 25 pounds on Weight Watchers and am happy with my current weight. Now I'm noticing that my abdomin is puffy where I give myself the injections. Women on other Forteo blogs have noticed the same thing. They are calling this puffiness fluid retention. All I know is that it's making me look and feel like I am regaining my lost weight which is exactly what I do NOT want to do! My scale indicates a 2 to 4 pound weight gain; I'm sure that it is this fluid around my waistline. Others who give their injections in the thigh noticed that their thighs become doughy at the injection sites, even when switching from one leg to the other each day. My back pain continues to decrease; other than the weight gain around my waistline, I have no other problems. I wonder if there is any antidote to this. The last thing I want is another pot belly!
orica

Sun 10 Feb, 2008 12:23 pm
neck
Have any of you Forteo people felt any weird sensations in your neck? Last time I felt a similar sensation was back when I believe the whole problem began. I had the flu and complained to deaf ears about weird sensations in my neck when I was sick. I think that is when my parathyroid glands decided to stop functioning like they should. I wonder if this means an awakening of those glands or are they taking another hit. Anyone else feeling anything?
0 Replies

MariJ

Sun 24 Feb, 2008 11:15 am
Forteo use
Hi

I've been on Forteo for 15 months now. I have not noticed any very serious or ongoing side effects. Some dizziness at first, sometimes diarrhoea, and quite often leg pain, aching ankles, feet, shins. Just lately I've been experiencing quite a lot of insomnia, but that was not unknown before I embarked on this program, and I really don't know if Forteo is implicated. Have not had any bone density scan update since starting (that will come at end April), but the blood markers for bone formation have gone way up. So I am very hopeful of a good outcome. I have also noticed a decrease in back pain.

Orica, I don't recall any neck sensations at any time that would be connected to this treatment.

Michele, I have not had weight gain or puffiness at the site. I inject in my thighs, used to alternate but now I mostly use right one. I was wary of using the abdomen, don't really know why.