michele heiderer

Sun 1 Jun, 2008 06:24 pm
thighs/when to be retested?
I don't seem to have any problems with injecting in my thighs other than remembering which one I used last night! Some on this list have complained of lumpiness in their thigh from the injections but I don't see that on me. I'm fairly thin, no extra fat on my thighs. I don't know if this has anything to do with others noticing lumpiness or not. I was tested for thyroid problems last week, so it's possible that the increase in my waistline is related to weight gain connected to thyroid. I'll know more next week when the test results come in. I'd be interested in knowing when others are being retested to make sure that the Forteo is working.
not2ez

Sat 21 Jun, 2008 03:19 pm
forteo
I have been taking Forteo injections for 15 months and will come off it after 18 months. When I started taking the daily injections I had some periodic bone pain in legs and arms, like the growing pains you get when you're a kid. I'm 6' 3' and grew a lot in high school so I remember what growing pains were like. The sporadic bone pain went away after about four months.

My doctor was very pleased with the results after a year on Forteo. I never missed a shot the first year and maybe that's why the results were so good. I went from being lower-end osteoperosis to upper normal range with AP Spine (L1-L4) T-score of -0.9 and Z-score of -0.3. Total hip T and Z scores were -1.0 and -0.6, respectively. I have DDD of the thoracolumbar spine and I will need fusion at several levels so getting the bone back in good shape was essential. Spinal fusion and low bone density aren't a good combination. I have no regrets taking Forteo.
0 Replies

not2ez

Sat 21 Jun, 2008 03:35 pm
forteo injections
I thought this additional info might help. If you have a little fat on your gut, like me (notice I said "little") that's a good place for the injections. When I inject into fatty areas I barely feel it. In the legs I'd probably feel it. I use the BD Untra-Fine 29 guage 1/2" needles.

A possible positive side affect may be to those who have patellar (knee) pain from chondromalacia. I have grade IV chondromalacia, which is bone-on-bone, on my left knee and I used to have considerable pain going up and down stairs and standing up. The pain is not near as bad as it used to be and the only explanation is the Forteo injections. Perhaps bone replaced the missing cartilage on the underside of the knee cap? The next time I have my knee x-rayed or MRIed I'll know for sure.

The injections and bruising are no big thing when compared to the alternative. Laughing
michele heiderer

Sat 21 Jun, 2008 05:00 pm
Thyroid test came out very normal, so my cold chills and other symptoms are probably just me getting older (I'm 60). I finally figured out a way to remember which thigh to inject on alternate days. Even njmbered days/left leg....odd numbered days/right leg. I remember it this way alphbetically: E/L/O/R. Since the letters are in alphabetical order, I can remember to inject in left thigh on even numbered days, etc. Sure beats trying to remember where I injected the previous night. How long after starting Forteo before some of you had follow-up Dexa Scans?
michele heiderer

Tue 15 Jul, 2008 07:58 am
forteo/memory loss?
I have been on Forteo for nine months. Had a bone density test last week only to find out that I am still losing bone mass. Very disappointing. My endocrinologist says that for some women who were on Actonel, Fosomax and/or Evista for a period of time, it will take longer to show results from Forteo. I took Actonel for five years prior to starting Forteo, and took Evista during two of those years. I am to have another Dexa scan in January 09. Another problem has arisen, my husband, daughter and son-in-law are noticing that I am having mild memory loss. I am 60 years old, otherwise healthy, and follow the Weight Watchers eating plan. Family says that they have noticed my lapses of memory in the past few months. Between losing more bone mass and finding out that I'm losing my marbles...well, it's a lot to digest all in one day! Does anyone else seem to have this memory problem after starting Forteo?
FSS

Mon 11 Aug, 2008 08:01 am
Forteo
Well, got onto Forteo for about 5 days and got so TIRED couldn't hardle make myself do anything. Had nausea, dizziness, and just kept trying to tolerate it. Then stopped. Tried starting back every other day at doc suggestion...worked about 10 days and then the same TIRED began again and light nausea. I am a -4.8 in the back and only 57 years old....but I want quality of life too ! After reading about thyroid issues elsewhere, think maybe Forteo isn't telling the whole story on your body fighting the parathyroid wantabe . Don't know what to try now, but am trusting the Lord for bone health and His direction.
michele heiderer

Mon 11 Aug, 2008 08:33 pm
I learned that the cholesterol lowering drug that I was on can cause memory loss, so maybe that's what was causing it for me. I am now off that drug and on a new one that does not have this side effect (at least I hope it doesn't!). My endocrinologist took blood and urine and had some other sort of bone density test done on them; the results showed that I was getting benefit from the Forteo even though the latest Dexa scan showed more bone loss. I guess I'll just have to wait until January 2009 to see what the next DEXA scan shows. I do know that there is more than one way to measure bone density.
0 Replies

michele heiderer

Mon 18 Aug, 2008 02:47 pm
@michele heiderer,
Is anyone noticing edema (water retention) in the hands, feet, abdomen and maybe even the mouth after taking Forteo for awhile? I'm carrying perhaps 4 or 5 pounds of water around these days; can hardly get into my shoes or bend my fingers some days; my abdomen has been swollen for months even though I switched to injecting in my thighs. ALso, some mornings, my teeth feel like they don't fit (!) (and yes, they are all mine!). I wonder if a water pill would help?
PJV

Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:41 pm
@Piute,
It's funny that you reason that the rat studies were not important since rat bone structure is different than human bone structure. Lilly scientists seemed to think the rat studies had meaning. Lilly is the one putting the black box warning on their own product. They are acknowledging that there is an unknown factor regarding the safety. Have you actually read how the studies were conducted and what happened?
0 Replies

PJV

Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:49 pm
@michele heiderer,
I've also read that for those who have been on another bone drug prior that there may be NO IMPROVEMENT from taking Forteo. However, if one's BMD stays the same rather than go lower they still call that a success. I really don't feel we have a true picture of whether Forteo's benefit is worth the risk and the side effects. It's all a matter of quantity of BMD increase and a very tiny increase or just staying the same might not be significant. For example many people could maintain BMD just from exercise alone. So it is misleading to make us think that Forteo is doing something when a person maintains BMD using it.......that might not have anything to do with the Forteo at all.

Any way....I think I am getting hand and foot pain and my joints are more prone to soreness. Before taking Forteo I felt fine. I have a low BMD but have never broken a bone.
0 Replies

PJV

Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:52 pm
@FSS,
The first day I took Forteo I felt nauseous and tired. After that I got used to it. However, over all I feel more achy and that makes me less able to excersise, so in that way I'd say Forteo can be a detriment. I also don't feel they really know for sure what is going on in the body entirely. There is a part of it that is guess work that's why there is the black box warning. Lilly does not guarantee any improvement, and it acknowledges there may be an increased risk of bone cancer.
PJV

Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:49 pm
@not2ez,
The injections hurt me on stomach or thighs.

Another thing about the black box warning/rat studies...... people who commented on that might not have noticed this. YES they did initially give high doses to the rats for a long time, then when they noticed the cancer they stopped the study. However, later Lilly came out and said they theorized that Forteo is relitively safe if they cut the dose down and would only have a person take it for a certain time. However, they didn't prove that theory with any study. It's only their reasoning. That's why there is a black box warning.

Also .....YES rat bone structure is different than human bones but ....what else is there to test on? Science always uses rats, or mice or some creature with a short life span to test on. They can't test high doses on humans. Right now we are acutally test cases aren't we? They won't know fully the true danger or benefit for another 20 years. Another factor that they haven't told us about is the danger relative to age of the person. If someone takes Forteo at the age of 45 there is a longer lifespan left to wait and see if cancer is caused. If someone takes Forteo at age 80 it's possible that the lifespan isn't long enough for the cancer to show up.
0 Replies

Jackzvi

Sun 21 Dec, 2008 01:26 pm
@michele heiderer,
I'm only 39, and I've been on it for 7 months, and also think that my short term memory has gone to hell, but it doesn't seem to be listed as a side effect... I sure hope it returns after I come off Forteo....
psladyroadrunner

Sat 14 Feb, 2009 12:03 pm
My husband finished the 2 year trial with Forteo quite awhile ago, and as soon as he stopped his bone density went back to what it was before the trial (-2.3). Since then he has resumed taking Fosamax, and has been taking 50,000 IU of vitamin D twice aweek, plus AndroGel (testosterone) daily, and his last bone density was -2. While this is a small improvement it is STILL an improvement. Hope that this information helps some of you.
0 Replies

Jannett

Tue 7 Apr, 2009 10:34 pm
@Miller,
with my insurance, it's $40 a month
0 Replies

Cynthia T

Fri 31 Jul, 2009 03:18 pm
@michele heiderer,
I have also been experiencing small lapses of memory, like getting a glass out of the cupboard and finding I had already taken one out with no memory of doing it. I also noticed it more often in the morning within hours of the injection. I told my Gyn who prescribed the Forteo and he seemed concerned enough to tell me to get a brain scan right away. He suggested I call my family physician because he should make the arragements. My family physician said I should, instead, get off the Forteo for a few months first to see if there was an improvement. He also assured me that this didn't sound like a precursor to any another problem. My family physician doesn't like Forteo and said he would prefer I tried something else. I am 55 yrs old and have been on Forteo for almost 4 months. I also take synthroid and Nexium. Other than the bone loss I am in good health and memory loss is not familiar to anyone in my family, also it has only occurred in the last few months. My Medco rep gave me the number for Forteo and suggested I talk to someone there so they could shed more light on this, hopefully. I will post again when I find out more. Maybe we can both get some answers.
Cynthia T

Sun 9 Aug, 2009 08:10 pm
@michele heiderer,
My insurance provider suggested that I call the forteo customer care # 1.866.436.7836 to tell them about my memory loss. A forteo rep said in order for them to list it as a side effect, 2% of forteo users would have to report the same problem.
Carol1

Tue 26 Jan, 2010 05:08 pm
@michele heiderer,
I will soon be starting Forteo. I've seen lots of writing about side effects and injection sites, but nothing on the time of day injections are given. Since I can have low blood pressure and will be prepared for dizziness, I thought I would give the injection at bedtime. Haven't gone to the training yet due to lack of compatible dates, so perhaps they cover this information. Feedback appreciated.
pennekintz

Wed 17 Feb, 2010 12:50 pm
@michele heiderer,
I have been on Forteo for 4 months now and I have swelling of hands, jaw pain, ankles hurt and leg and hip pain. Don't know if it's the drug or not!
0 Replies

pennekintz

Wed 17 Feb, 2010 12:53 pm
@michele heiderer,
I am only 51 and since being on Forteo, I have a lot of very deep chills. I believe it is the Forteo.
0 Replies