Unrefrigerated medication

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2012 09:31 am
My Forteo pen was left out of the refrigerator all night. Is it still safe to use?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 5,251 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2012 09:50 am
@ira Diamond,

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000227/

What storage conditions are needed for this medicine?

"Keep this medication in the pen it came in with the cap on and without a needle attached, tightly closed, and out of reach of children. Store it in the refrigerator but do not freeze it. Protect it from light. Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Throw away the pen after 28 days of use, even if it is not empty. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2012 10:08 am
@ira Diamond,
I think you should check with your Pharmacist.
snood

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2012 10:42 am
FORTEO Delivery Device FAQs:

I left my FORTEO Delivery Device out of the refrigerator by accident. Is it still safe to use my FORTEO Delivery Device?

If for some reason your delivery device is exposed to temperatures above the recommended
36°F to 46°F (2°C to 8°C) longer than the few minutes it takes to complete giving yourself your injection, do not throw the delivery device away. Put it back in the refrigerator and call FORTEO Connect at 1-866-4-FORTEO (1-866-436-7836) and they will be able to help you determine if your delivery device is still safe to use.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2012 10:51 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I think you should check with your Pharmacist.

You should check before using it. It can get infected if stored too warm.

From the Forteo website:

Quote:
If the delivery device has been left out of the refrigerator for more than a few minutes or stored incorrectly, please call 1-866-4-FORTEO (1-866-436-7836).

http://www.forteo.com/Pages/how-to-inject-forteo-to-help-osteoporosis-treatment.aspx

snood

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2012 03:14 pm
@contrex,
I just said that
contrex

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2012 04:44 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

I just said that

I saw after I posted that while I was typing (and checking) you had posted. (Check the time stamps.) Why the proprietorial attitude? We're all here to help. Rolls eyes.
snood

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2012 06:24 pm
@contrex,
No attitude. Just thought it strange you reposting that. Didn't know you didn't see my post, that's all.
0 Replies