taprewitt

Tue 29 Jun, 2004 08:15 pm
traveling with forteo
Hello! I am traveling overseas next month and am concerned about keeping my forteo at the proper temperature, especially during the 16 hour flight followed by a long cab ride. Does anyone have experience with this, or could anyone recommend some strategies/products which would help??? Thanks...
0 Replies

marmot

Mon 12 Jul, 2004 04:06 pm
overseas trip forteo
My wife has been on forteo since March 2003 with great results (10%) bone increase on annual scan. We have made three overseas trips including river cruises, bus tours and car rental independent travel. Buses, hotels, river boats and B&B's have accomodated refrigeration (sometimes at the bar refrig). We used a freeze gel pack and icebox in the rental car. Get one that plugs into the lighter. All are 12V. On the flight the best solution we found is a wide mouth thermos with ice cubes. It will stay cold more than 24 hrs.
0 Replies

lionheartgirl

Mon 26 Jul, 2004 07:16 pm
Forteo Leg Cramps
Glad I stumbled across this forum.

I am 48 years old, pre-menopause. I had a bone density scan back in March cause I lost some height and it came back with ostepenia and 2 compression fractures - T7 & T8.

I've had problems with chronic back pain for over 10 years. It really frosts my cookies after all the doctors, Ob-Gyns, chiropractors and massage therapists I've seen over the years that nobody put together the 'tiny white woman....chronic back pain' thing before this.

Anyway, after seeing my doctor about this he recommended I go to a Forteo drug rep meeting at his office. Even though I'm only at the osteopenia stage I do have the spinal fractures and chronic pain features. I decided to treat it aggressively and started on the Forteo. I just started my third pen.

Getting used to the injections wasn't bad. At worst it feels like a bee sting. You do have to be careful to watch the needle cause they can bend easily and you don't want to try injecting with a bent needle.

The only side effects I've really noticed are the leg cramps. What concerns me is I don't really feel it in the calves....my shins hurt like a chronic case of shinsplints. Last week was a busy week from hell and I didn't get to the gym often so it's not exercise contributing to it. It's not horrible but it is my opinion that a normal, healthy body part does not keep reminding you its there all day.

I am also taking Miacalcin, a good multivitamin, calcium, high calcium diet, exercise and even the dreaded 'S' word...soy.

I hope this stuff does work. When I got the diagnosis my life flashed before my eyes but it was my future not my past and it wasn't pretty.

What I came across in my osteo books is that women should measure their height on their 35th birthday and keep track of it every year. That would've been useful information to have. I was only 5' to begin with. It's just one of those things that you take for granted. Ladies...pass the word.

Anyway, has anyone else had cramps/joint pain in their shins? Does it go away after awhile? Thanks.
0 Replies

OneShotADayGirl

Wed 28 Jul, 2004 06:24 pm
Very Weird Side Effect Maybe?
I'm half way through my 2nd month of Forteo and thought I was doing well and not having any side effects. Now I'm wondering about that. I started getting Eczema in my outer ears about a week after starting the shots. I hadn't had problems with eczema for years before until now. It is still bothering me but now I find a new problem that is even worse. I think I am having an attack of Herpes which I didn't know I had. It is possible for herpes to stay hidden totally until something triggers it many many years later and I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. It seems that both of these problems can be brought out when one's immune system is low and I wonder if Forteo can affect the immune system? I know the published specs for the medicine doesn't mention it but I also would like to see the detailed specs that the company had to submit to the FDA. That would mention it if it is known. Does anyone know where I could access this? Thanks.
0 Replies

Tanyaoz

Fri 30 Jul, 2004 08:49 pm
Forteo user
Hi, I've been using Forteo for the last 4 months and I have a lot of nausea after taking the injection. I am quite happy with that as I have very severe osteoporosis and I am only 43. I developed it from steroid treatments that I was given for Multiple Sclerosis.... some people have all the luck! The good news is that my health insurance is covering the costs! I am sure that this drug is working for me and I will only know at the end of my 18 month course. Good luck to all the others using it. Cheers Tanya
0 Replies

carolkray

Sun 1 Aug, 2004 07:57 pm
Re: Forteo Leg Cramps
After 3 months of shots, I was having such bad leg cramps that it was keeping me up nights; leg cramps in my calves, and my toes pulling back. Then I got off Forteo a month (due to changing insurance and having to fight to get them to pay for Forteo), and all the side effects went away. I got back on, and within about 3-4 days, my right leg began trembling, in the calf muscle, like a giant nervous tick in the whole muscle.

It scared me and I've stopped again. I worry that the nerves could suffer permanent damage. I moved and don't have a doctor I trust. Interesting to note someone else with leg cramps. I don't know to continue and take my chances or quit and take my chances. Got to do something! Got used to the nausea so I took the shot as I was getting into bed. As long as I don't move, it's not too bad. I eat crackers and drink 7-Up when it gets really bad.

lionheartgirl wrote:

I am 48 years old, pre-menopause. I had a bone density scan back in March cause I lost some height and it came back with ostepenia and 2 compression fractures - T7 & T8.

I've had problems with chronic back pain for over 10 years. It really frosts my cookies after all the doctors, Ob-Gyns, chiropractors and massage therapists I've seen over the years that nobody put together the 'tiny white woman....chronic back pain' thing before this.

Anyway, after seeing my doctor about this he recommended I go to a Forteo drug rep meeting at his office. Even though I'm only at the osteopenia stage I do have the spinal fractures and chronic pain features. I decided to treat it aggressively and started on the Forteo. I just started my third pen.

Getting used to the injections wasn't bad. At worst it feels like a bee sting. You do have to be careful to watch the needle cause they can bend easily and you don't want to try injecting with a bent needle.

The only side effects I've really noticed are the leg cramps. What concerns me is I don't really feel it in the calves....my shins hurt like a chronic case of shinsplints. Last week was a busy week from hell and I didn't get to the gym often so it's not exercise contributing to it. It's not horrible but it is my opinion that a normal, healthy body part does not keep reminding you its there all day.

I am also taking Miacalcin, a good multivitamin, calcium, high calcium diet, exercise and even the dreaded 'S' word...soy.

I hope this stuff does work. When I got the diagnosis my life flashed before my eyes but it was my future not my past and it wasn't pretty.

What I came across in my osteo books is that women should measure their height on their 35th birthday and keep track of it every year. That would've been useful information to have. I was only 5' to begin with. It's just one of those things that you take for granted. Ladies...pass the word.

Anyway, has anyone else had cramps/joint pain in their shins? Does it go away after awhile? Thanks.
0 Replies

lAstri Lindberg

Wed 4 Aug, 2004 09:38 am
Forteo/leg cramps
For all who suffer leg cramps while taking Forteo, ask your Dr. to prescribe Quinine Sulfate Capsules (mfg:Zenith), 200 mg. For me, one capsule daily is sufficient, although two were prescribed.
0 Replies

skeresey

Fri 13 Aug, 2004 05:26 pm
Re: forteo
maryjane wrote:
I JUST STARTED THE DRUG FORTEO. THE ONLY SIDE EFFECT I AM HAVING IS A HEADACHE. BUT LAST JUST FOR A SHORT TIME. I REALLY HOPE THIS DRUG WORK. WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM SOME ONE TAKING THIS MEDICINE

THANKS,
MARYJANE
Hi Maryjane, I have not started taking forteo yet but I am going to because I am at a high risk for a fracture. I am concerned about taking it because of the bone cancer risk. How do you feel about it and have you had any other side effects than a headache. Is it hard to give yourself the shot and does it hurt much? Hope to hear from you. Sheila
0 Replies

mktwise

Fri 20 Aug, 2004 02:17 pm
Hi,

I am a new member to this forum (and have never posted to a forum before). I just started using Forteo on Wednesday, August 18.... so I have given myself 3 shots. I am surprised that it is so easy to give myself the shots. And, they really don't hurt... with the second one I had a little twinge and slight blood. I have been giving the shot in my stomach.

I have had a few side effects. Very slight nausea/dizziness. And, I have been VERY sleepy for all three days.

My T - scores are -3.3 in my hip and -1.7 in my spine. I have been taking Fosamax for 5 years and have not improved and am discontinuing it while I am on the Forteo.

I am very interested in hearing about others who have osteoporosis and are using Forteo or other drugs.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 20 Aug, 2004 07:23 pm
mktwise, have you looked back over the rest of the thread?

It seems that posters on this question aren't very used to internet forums - that is not a criticism, I wasn't either. But on many other threads on this A2K forum, at least for a while, people keep up a conversation and tell how they are doing over time.

I am not taking forteo but I clicked on the topic since, who knows, I may need to at some point.

You almost have a built in community of people who are taking the drug and yet no one seems to come back and post how they are doing a few weeks or months later.
0 Replies

mktwise

Fri 20 Aug, 2004 08:35 pm
Hi ossobuco.....

Yes, I have read several of the threads here and decided to post to this one because it seemed to be the one used most recently. I hoped that someone would answer.... and that we could have some sort of a conversation about this subject. :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 20 Aug, 2004 08:44 pm
Good luck, and I don't mean that sarcastically. I think anyone who posts gets an email notice....

Did you read back on this thread? It is about six pages long (oh, sixty or so posts) by now..
0 Replies

skeresey

Sat 21 Aug, 2004 05:34 pm
forteo
mktwise wrote:
Hi,

I am a new member to this forum (and have never posted to a forum before). I just started using Forteo on Wednesday, August 18.... so I have given myself 3 shots. I am surprised that it is so easy to give myself the shots. And, they really don't hurt... with the second one I had a little twinge and slight blood. I have been giving the shot in my stomach.

I have had a few side effects. Very slight nausea/dizziness. And, I have been VERY sleepy for all three days.

My T - scores are -3.3 in my hip and -1.7 in my spine. I have been taking Fosamax for 5 years and have not improved and am discontinuing it while I am on the Forteo.

I am very interested in hearing about others who have osteoporosis and are using Forteo or other drugs.
Hi, I have osteoporosis also and my fracture risk is high. My dr wants me to take forteo so when I go to see him the first of sept I will be starting the forteo. I am concerned about taking it because of the risk of bone cancer. But I don't want to fracture any bones either. How long do you have to take it and are you at a high risk for a fracture? How are your side effects now and are you taking 20mcg or 40mcg per day. When you were taking fosamax did you have any side effects. I was going to take that but my dr wants me to take forteo to build my bones more because my fracture risk is so high. Hope t Smile o hear from you soon. Sheila MY email address is [email protected] if you would rather email me which I think is eaiser.
0 Replies

pachamama

Sun 22 Aug, 2004 01:57 pm
Re: overseas trip forteo
marmot wrote:
My wife has been on forteo since March 2003 with great results (10%) bone increase on annual scan. We have made three overseas trips including river cruises, bus tours and car rental independent travel. Buses, hotels, river boats and B&B's have accomodated refrigeration (sometimes at the bar refrig). We used a freeze gel pack and icebox in the rental car. Get one that plugs into the lighter. All are 12V. On the flight the best solution we found is a wide mouth thermos with ice cubes. It will stay cold more than 24 hrs.

Like "marmot" I travel a lot. I started Forteo a couple of months ago. The shots are painless, and I have experienced no side-effects, but keeping the pen cold when I travel is a major problem.
I am delighted that someone else has tried the wide-mouth thermos solution with success. I made do on a the westward part of complicated trip across the country with a combination of techniques, but it was stressful making sure the temperature stayed in the right range.
The wide-mouth stainless steel thermos I ordered for our return trip should be here in a few days. Some preliminary experiment with a thermometer reassured me that prolonged submersion in water and ice did not actually put the reading down to 0 degrees centigrade, and I suspect that the actual freezing temperature of the Forteo solution may be a bit lower than that of water. I will try to confirm that before we start back in a week on the long and complicated route home. I still have a little concern about whether the pen is water-tight, but have discovered that a 1-quart freezer bag with double walls seems to be, so will encase the Forteo pen in that when I put it in the thermos. I should have time to experiment with temperature range and duration of adequate cold using cracked ice alone vs. ice in water before we leave.
This trip we're on is one with a lot of car travel on either end of the cross-country flight-with-on-connection. The 3-hour travel pack supplied barely lasted from our door to the plane, and would not definitely not last from the door of our vacation home to the airport on this side! If the thermos solution works as well as I hope (and "marmot's" posting is elating) it's clearly the way to go for such complex domestic trips as well as the ones to the other side of the world.
My husband and I travel a LOT, and really need something that will keep my Forteo safe for 24 hours. Lilly customer service currently doesn't offer real help to people like us, and they should start considering the realities of modern life. Not all of us with low bone density stay at home. This fall my husband has a professional trip to Paris and Portugal, and one to China is coming up. I see no need to choose between doing something for my bones and continuing to enjoy such travel with him. Good for you, "marmot"!
0 Replies

gloria2

Mon 4 Oct, 2004 08:07 pm
from a longer time user
I just want to reply because I don't think many have done that, and I know I appreciate it when someone replies to my concerns. I have been using Forteo for about 7 months. A little dizzyness for a few days right at the beginning, a few leg cramps, otherwise nothing as far as side effects. I won't know whether or not it's working till I've been on it a year, which I think is quite poor, but that's what my doctor says. Traveling with it is very difficult. Mostly, I've just stopped taking it while traveling. It's way too much hassle. Company needs to come up with something made for people who get around a bit. The 3-hour pack lasts about 1 hour. Car trips are okay, as I use a little cooler and keep filling it with ice. Plane trips I've not attempted to take it. Have any of you needed a signed note from your doctor in order to get through the gate inspectors?

I hope all goes well for you with Forteo. My scores were in the -5s so I guess I really needed it. I took Fosomax and Evista together for 1 year, and those helped some.

I'll let you know in about March how much my scores improved.

mktwise wrote:
Hi,

0 Replies

dee-dee

Tue 12 Oct, 2004 10:56 am
Today, 10/12/04, I have made a decision after many weeks of research not to take the Forteo injections because of the black box warning, which is the strongest warning the FDA can put on medications.

I have also read that many doctors are reluctant to prescribe medications with a black box warning because its too high a risk. I have called several physician offices (orthopedic) and they will not prescribe this drug and that helped me reach a decision. Also being the first person in my dr's office to be prescribed this drug was another reason, and the fact that I have never had a fracture (C3, severe osteoporosis).

I will take my chances with Fosamax until more research is done on this drug. I believe that a 10 year research study is being conducted on this drug for those that are being placed on it (not sure, but I believe I read that somewhere).

Good luck to those who have decided to take it.
0 Replies

dee-dee

Tue 12 Oct, 2004 11:10 am
Below is an article on why I have chosen not to take Forteo, even though my dr. has recommended that I should. I just don't think there is enough clinical data done to support this drug, not to mention that it would be a year before I would know if I was improving. This group, Public Citizen, has included this drug in their "Do Not Use" list. It's quite obvious that the public isn't educated enough about this drug, because a lot of people who are taking Forteo aren't even aware of the Black Box Warning the government (FDA) has placed on this medication.

"US consumer group Public Citizen is warning the public against Forteo due to cancer fears."

April 14, 2003 2:10 PM GMT (Datamonitor) - Lilly's osteoporosis drug Forteo already has a black box warning, advertising ban and detailing restrictions to contend with, putting it at a significant disadvantage at launch to most other drugs. With 'cancer scare' ideas being pushed to the public by advocacy groups, its first-to-market position and massive untapped patient potential may not be enough to combat consumer fears.

Eli Lilly's Forteo is under fire again, this time from powerful US consumer watchdog Public Citizen. Forteo, a novel bone building drug, indicated to treat osteoporosis patients at high risk of fracture, was launched in the US in December 2002. The advocacy group issued a 'Do Not Use' warning for Forteo in its 'Worst Pills' list due to the potential risk of osteosarcoma, observed in tests of the drug in rats. Lilly argues that clinical trials in humans have shown no sign of the condition.

Public Citizen has taken its case to the people after the FDA ignored its advice not to approve the drug. The group's quarrel with Forteo is not only with its safety profile, but also clinical data in fracture reduction, male osteoporosis and its high price point.

The road to Forteo's approval was delayed by safety and manufacturing concerns. Despite receiving an FDA advisory board recommendation in 2001, it took over a year to gain final approval. This has squeezed the market exclusivity period for Forteo, while Lilly has had to agree to a black box warning on the risk of osteosarcoma and restrictive marketing guidelines. These include a DTC advertising ban, limited detailing, issuing patient medication guides and initiating physician education programs. Lilly is also funding a 10-year program to track Forteo patients for osteosarcoma occurrence.

Drugs like Forteo are a much needed addition to the osteoporosis market, due to the dearth of products for severe disease, and thus have huge patient potential. Indeed, Forteo could be a blockbuster. But with Lilly unable to promote Forteo's benefits to the public while consumer groups raise fears, uptake of the drug will suffer significantly.

Lilly's other osteoporosis drug, Evista, is also the first in its class on the market. However, uptake has been slower than anticipated despite aggressive DTC advertising and detailing. Without these tools at its disposal, Lilly will find success in the market even more difficult for Forteo.

Related Research: Datamonitor, "Drugs of Tomorrow: Osteoporosis - Will Bone Building Drugs Revolutionise the Market?" (DMHC 1796)

You can download a FREE healthcare report from www.dmfreereports.com
0 Replies

PTCruzer

Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:31 pm
Re: Forteo
carolkray wrote:
I'm 52 with severe osteoporsis (T factor = -3.8 for lower back, -3.5 at the neck and -2.8 at the hip). I had a total hystorectomy at 26, including overies, and was told I didn't need HRT because the pituatary gland can make up for the estogen loss. It looks like it was bad advise, as no one else in my family has osteoporosis. My bones are equivalent to an 87 yr. old. I've been advised that FORTEO injections for two years are my best, most aggresive approach to treatment, but reminded that I have other, less agreesive options. I'm opting for the most aggressive treatment: FORTEO.

I'm not too concerned about the Blackbox warning, because, as other postings mentioned, the results were in lab rats, whose skeletons never fuse. For those who want to know, here is the BLACKBOX:

"WARNING: In male and female rats, teriparatide caused an increase in the incidence of osteosarcoma (a malignant bone tumor) that was dependent on dose and treatment duration. The effect was observed at systemic exposures to teriparatide ranging from 3 to 60 times the exposure in humans given a 20-mcg dose. Because of the uncertain relevance of teh rat osteosarcoma finding to humans, teripartide should be prescribed only to patients for whom the potential benefits are considered to outweigh the potential risk. Teriparatide should not be perscribed for patients who are at increased baseline risk for osteosarcoma (including those with Paget's disease of bone or unexplained elevations of alkaline phosphatas, open epiphyses, or prior radiation therapy involving the skeleton) (see WARNINGS and PRECAUTIONS, Carcinogenesis)."

I had lab work today to determine if I have celiac disease, a gluton intolerance that causes abdominal pain and diarhea, because it can limit calcium and vitamin D absorbtion (my son has it, so good posibility that I do, too). I get my training on self-injections next week and am anxious to start the injections. I travel and am concerned about being able to maintain the constant temperature for the pen, between 36 & 46 degrees (F).

The only negative I heard was a pain similar to growing pains, in the calves, but it only lasted a couple of weeks for an older patient. I'm grateful that we have something that has had such remarkable results. Wish me luck!

I was just recently diagnosed with severe osteoporsis T-Faction of -4.3 in the spine and I am 54 years old. I too had a hysterectomoy, at age 36 but was left with one ovary although it had fibroid tumors which means it probably didn't function properly after a few years. My dr. is starting me on the Forteo injections sometime next month and I am curious about side effects, administering the shots and traveling with the medication (keeping it at right temp). Good luck to you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 27 Oct, 2004 09:59 pm
I pop in here from time to time to wish that all of you on the Forteo thread - who mostly don't explore the rest of the a2k forum, so you don't know that people try to keep threads going ---

I only checked in because I was curious re forteo, being an A2K forum regular and a post menopausal female not presently with osteoporosis - and wish that you would all keep in touch more, re how it is all working out.
0 Replies

RRHC

Tue 9 Nov, 2004 09:18 pm
Re: Forteo Leg Cramps
lionheartgirl wrote:

Anyway, has anyone else had cramps/joint pain in their shins? Does it go away after awhile? Thanks

This is the first time I have posted so I am not sure it will even go through. Iam 44yo premenopausal and on Forteo for Osteopenia. I am only 5' tall and have always been small boned. I have never had any fractures, but the doctors worry about them. I agreed to go on Forteo, but am concerned about the "black box" warning. All the doctors including my father (a physician) think along the lines of other physicians---I am not a rat! Anyway after being on for 1 and 1/2 months I have also been experiencing leg aches similiar to shin splints and I have not been working out. It concerned me. I call the doctor and he said to go off the Forteo for one week and then on again and call him to let him know how I am doing. If the ache is normal I will live with it, for the good of the drug and a good outcome, but it being a new drug, it concerns me. I have been off for 2 days now and my shins still ache. I am aware of them all the time. No other side effects. any other "young" people having similar side effects? What has your doctor said?

Ruth
0 Replies