Miller

Tue 24 Feb, 2004 06:44 pm
I read in the Wall Street Journal that a year's supply of Forteo costs $7000!

Is this correct?
carolkray

Tue 24 Feb, 2004 07:28 pm
Cost of FORTEO
FORTEO = $6453. year or around $600 a month.
One pen lasts 28-days. If it freezes, you have to throw it out!
0 Replies

Piute

Wed 25 Feb, 2004 05:51 am
forteo
Started my second month on forteo, and really no side effects. I have had some soreness in the calves of my left leg only. The support at forteo is great, they explain alot to you. We plan on traveling in a month and they sent my first 3 shot pens to me fed ex. They come in an ice chest, with cold packs all around them. They will ship to were ever you are when traveling. You can reuse the little ice chest, so that will be great, as the motor home refer might not stay the temp. needed when traveling. I am anxious to get my next bone scan to see how much I have improved. I was also a -3.9 in my lower back and had a hysterecomy at 30. I took premerin for years and it did not help me for osteoporosis. I just wish I would have had a bone density at 30 or 40 instead of 50, as I maybe could have started treatment sooner.
0 Replies

Miller

Wed 25 Feb, 2004 09:35 am
Re: Cost of FORTEO
carolkray wrote:

As I recall, Fosamax is only $58/month. Why would Forteo be preferred over Fosamax? Question
0 Replies

carolkray

Wed 25 Feb, 2004 11:08 am
Fosamax versus Forteo
"While Fosamax and Evista work in a similar fashion, Forteo is the first of a new class of drug that stimulates new bone formation by increasing the number and activity of bone forming cells. Most other treatments, including Fosamax, work to stop or slow bone loss by reducing the number and action of bone-removing cells. " Reuters Health Information

http://www.natap.org/2003/reuters/092403_1.htm
0 Replies

staffin

Wed 25 Feb, 2004 12:27 pm
Re: forteo
TheyLoveShellBeach wrote:
CF wrote:
I am interested in anybody taking the new drug Forteo. Is anyone having any side effects, or how do you feel about the Black Box Warning?

Hello: I just read your question, and am presently taking Forteo now for the second month. I don't believe I am experiencing any side effects. I do not have any knowledge to what you are referencing to, with regard to the "Black Box Warning". Could you please explain what it means? Are you presently taking Forteo, and are you experiencing any side effects

I have only been on for three days, and my chest is giving me fits. sort of like a feather, almost like panic. I have COPD pretty bad and I am wondering is this is something I have to deal with all the time or will be go away with use of the drug.
0 Replies

Miller

Thu 26 Feb, 2004 12:04 am
Did you give your MD a call? You might want to check with him/her about this.
0 Replies

caprice

Thu 26 Feb, 2004 03:28 am
Here is Eli Lilly's drug reference info on Forteo.

Forteo

See page 20 for the list of known side effects.
0 Replies

kafary

Sun 29 Feb, 2004 07:57 am
forteo
My sister has been taking Forteo for near a year. Lately she has lost a lot of weight due to acid reflux and upset stomach that she attributes to the use of Forteo. I have asked her to perhaps take a break for a couple of days, or once a week. But she thinks that if she doesn't take it for a couple of days she will lose the benefits of the entire year. That doesn't make any sense to me. Can anyone confirm what she says?

Thanks.
0 Replies

Miller

Sun 29 Feb, 2004 01:46 pm
kafary wrote:
My sister has been taking Forteo for near a year. Lately she has lost a lot of weight due to acid reflux and upset stomach that she attributes to the use of Forteo. I have asked her to perhaps take a break for a couple of days, or once a week. But she thinks that if she doesn't take it for a couple of days she will lose the benefits of the entire year. That doesn't make any sense to me. Can anyone confirm what she says?

Thanks.

If your sister isn't careful, she'll be developing a case of GERD. She should consult her M.D. Sad
0 Replies

carolkray

Thu 4 Mar, 2004 07:20 pm
I started my Forteo injections four days ago, and so far, so good. The shot doesn't hurt and the support material is very good. The first night I had a little nausea, but may or may not have been related. The carry case with dual icepacks is very handy. Came with video and lots of reading material. I'm so grateful that there are treatment options! Won't know for a year if it's working, though.
0 Replies

KayeBG

Mon 8 Mar, 2004 09:17 am
staffin wrote:
TheyLoveShellBeach wrote:
CF wrote:
I am interested in anybody taking the new drug Forteo. Is anyone having any side effects, or how do you feel about the Black Box Warning?

Hello: I just read your question, and am presently taking Forteo now for the second month. I don't believe I am experiencing any side effects. I do not have any knowledge to what you are referencing to, with regard to the "Black Box Warning". Could you please explain what it means? Are you presently taking Forteo, and are you experiencing any side effects

I have only been on for three days, and my chest is giving me fits. sort of like a feather, almost like panic. I have COPD pretty bad and I am wondering is this is something I have to deal with all the time or will be go away with use of the drug.
[/color

Good morning! I just started on Forteo last night, and stayed home from work today because I feel so lousy. Aching muscles and joints, and I had difficulty sleeping last night. Because I am a teacher, it is paramount that I feel my best every day, so I am very concerned that if this malaise continues, I will have to stop the treatment. ( I am unable to take any of the other indicated medications.) Has anyone experienced these kinds of side effects, and if so, did they finally subside??
0 Replies

carolkray

Tue 9 Mar, 2004 12:54 am
FORTEO
It was a week today that I began taking FORTEO shots, and I've had few problems. Yesterday, after playing a round of golf, I felt a little achy in my legs, not muscle aches but deeper, somewhat like a dull toothache, but in the bones. I took some aspirin, took it easy, and it went away. I have had some anxiety about taking the shots, but it's been less eventful than I expected.
0 Replies

Proteus60

Wed 17 Mar, 2004 05:57 pm
New to Forteo
Hello, I'm VERY new to Forteo. Just did my first shot today. About an hour or so after, I had mild nausea, but within a few more hours it went away.However, I seem to have lost my appetite, no desire to eat anything since first shot. Everything else seems alright, no headache, rashes, dizziness or pain or shortness of breath.
I have severe Osteo porosis, and severe COPD, so I was scared to death to do this, but I'm hoping it will help.
It seems the many posts are from last year, so I'm wondering if ANYONE is still on Forteo, and is it helping ?
0 Replies

annika 64

Fri 26 Mar, 2004 07:44 am
Re: forteo - Bones stopped growing?
Piute wrote:
I am into my 1st month on forteo. No side effects so far. I am my doctors youngest patient on forteo. (55) my lower back is that of a person 80 I chose to ignore the black box warning as I also am not a rat, and rats have different bone structure's than humans. Their bones are always growing and mine has stopped. Its like the last resort to build bone, and I would not hesitate to take it. My bones can fracture or break at any time, and I dont like that feeling.

I just read Piute's story & would desperately like to know how your osteo is actually affecting your bones. I am 39 with severe rib & feet fractures. My bones have stopped growing and I've been on Forteo for 4 months. Please let me know if we are 'in the same boat' because my rheumatologist has not been able to find anyone else with my condition.
In addition to this, I live in Australia & I have to pay the full $850/month - no government or insurance help.

Annika Confused
0 Replies

gloria2

Mon 29 Mar, 2004 06:38 pm
forteo side effects
I've been taking Forteo for just 2 weeks. The first week and a half - no side effects. Now the past few days I've been having on and off dizziness. This supposedly is a common side effect. Have any of you experienced this, and if so, did it continue or go away with time? I called the Forteo help line - they didn't really know anything more than is in the pamphlets we got.

Thanks much.
0 Replies

gloria2

Mon 29 Mar, 2004 09:52 pm
Re: Cost of FORTEO
carolkray wrote:

But my doctor told me about a program through Forteo's maker through which many people can get the drug for $12 a month. I don't know all the details as I have pretty good insurance for drugs, but others may want to ask their doctor about this program.
0 Replies

janb

Thu 6 May, 2004 07:55 pm
Forteo
CAN ANYONE OUT THERE HELP ME???? I am a 58 year old woman with bad osteoporosis. Started my first day of Forteo yesterday afternoon. Felt okay first hour following injection, then for 3-4 hours following that felt a bit dizzy. After that was fine. Woke up this morning dizzy again and was dizzy/liteheaded all day. Felt weak. At 3pm this afternoon was time for my second injection but haven't had it yet cause I just started feeling okay again and don't want to start the dizziness all over again! Anyone experience that? Does it get better after a few days or what? I can't feel like this all the time!! Awful... My doc was out of office today so could not contact him, naturally...
0 Replies

jeni

Tue 8 Jun, 2004 06:28 am
Forteo
Hi, my name is Jeni and I am new to this. Would appreciate any information from anyone who has been taking Forteo.

I am on my sixth forteo pen. Some of the side of effects are dizziness and nausea. It only lasts a few hours and goes away. This past week I have been feeling a bit depressed and I wondered if anyone taking Forteo has had any similar experience.
0 Replies

Miller

Tue 8 Jun, 2004 02:55 pm
Here's an interesting link:

http://www.drugs.com/forteo.html
0 Replies