shinsplints

Fri 23 Feb, 2007 11:25 pm
Joint pain, etc.
Does anyone have shinsplint like pain, pain in knees, hips, etc? Has anyone stopped the forteo and experienced joint pain that does not go away?
0 Replies

maryshaw

Sun 25 Feb, 2007 07:03 pm
Forteo
Due to the side effects I researched and the cost of Forteo, I took my first dose home and after much deliberation and research decided not to take it. It seemed like the side effects were worse than Fosamax. I will see an Endocrinologist on Wednesay, 2/28 to see what can be done about my problems with effects of taking Fosamax for my Osteoporosis. After a year now, I am still suffering terrible side effects. Anyone wishing to contact me write to emai: [email protected] Thanks and my empathies to all.
0 Replies

shinsplints

Sun 25 Feb, 2007 08:53 pm
how do you know if someone has responded to your post?
0 Replies

sam12700

Tue 6 Mar, 2007 08:08 am
FORTEO SIDE EFFECTS
I HAVE BEEN TAKING FORTEO FOR 8 MONTHS NOW AND I HAVE STARTED TO NOTICE ACHING IN MY LEGS - WHEN I FIRST GET UP I FEEL LIKE A VERY OLD WOMAN, THEN AFTER A WHILE IT SEEMS TO GET BETTER. IF I TAKE IBRUPROFEN I FEEL ALMOST AS GOOD AS NEW. I TRY NOT TO TAKE SOMETHING EVERY DAY. DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS AND HAS IT GONE AWAY?
0 Replies

RODRIGUEZ30

Tue 6 Mar, 2007 02:21 pm
SCARED TO DEATH TO FORTEO BECAUSE OF CANCER RISKS ETC
Hallo, I am new to this. I am a male 65 old and yesterday the doctor diagnosed the most severe case of ostheoporosis he had seen. He sent me to an Endrocinologist because he cannot understand why I have that problem -- I live a healthy life, do not smoke, only social wine drinking one cup at restaurants, eat plenty of spinach and dairy products cheese etc walk.. etc
He told me I will have to go on Forteo but cancer runs in my family and I am scared to death that I will end with ostheoporosis only to have later bone cancer
also I am concerned with swallowing because usually I have problems and panic attacks in the night and I read Forteo increases that

also If a travel to Mexico, Europa etc how can I transport the Forteo=

can anybody help me
I have not begun yet because I am scared

Thank you very much

Oscar Rodriguez

Please feel free to send me a feedback to my Email
[email protected]

Sincerely
Oscar Rodriguez
0 Replies

forteo-taker

Thu 24 May, 2007 10:07 am
Update on my condition:

49 year old male, been treated for osteoporosis about 6-7 years, started on Forteo in late March '06.

Bone density test done in early April this year (1 year anniversary on Forteo) showed I have lost 6% of bone density in both spine and hip in past 16 months. What the heck is going on? I have never lost that much in one year, particularly in my hip. I have had my worst bone loss while on Forteo.
0 Replies

xxsharon

Wed 30 May, 2007 08:36 pm
Forteo side effects
I have been searching online to see if others are experiencing the same side effects from Forteo that I have. I am 50 yrs old and have been taking Forteo for about 2 months now. I have had 7 fractures in the last two years related to bone problems from kidney dialysis, transplant and post menopause. No dizziness, but aching thighs, deep down sort of ache mainly in the left thigh and mild cramping in the calves. Biggest problem has been extreme fatigue. The fatigue is not mentioned much in drug brochure but I have been finding some reports of this on other forums. The fatigue is related to the Forteo for sure. It is so bad that some days I just want to cry. The fatigue hasn't gotten any better over time so far, if anything it's gotten worse.
These are the only side effects that I have noticed. Am interested to see if anyone else out there is experiencing the fatigue.
0 Replies

rad49

Tue 19 Jun, 2007 05:48 pm
Forteo side effects
Confused
to xx sharon-----I did injections of Forteo for 2 years. Before the injections I was very outgoing--never tired--My fatigue has progressively gotten worse since I completed the Forteo in Feb 06. (My doctor reminds me that I am 58 years old.) I have gained 20 pounds in 3 years. I have tried weight watchers and south beach diet with no reduction in my weight. I am so tired when I get home from work that I do not have the energy to do anything else. I have leg and hand cramps. I wake up in the middle of the night with cramps in my legs. My doctor has been doing all kind of blood work on me. None of it points to an answer for fatigue.
0 Replies

PJV

Fri 29 Jun, 2007 05:38 pm
Re: Forteo side effects
rad49 wrote:
Confused
to xx sharon-----I did injections of Forteo for 2 years. Before the injections I was very outgoing--never tired--My fatigue has progressively gotten worse since I completed the Forteo in Feb 06. (My doctor reminds me that I am 58 years old.) I have gained 20 pounds in 3 years. I have tried weight watchers and south beach diet with no reduction in my weight. I am so tired when I get home from work that I do not have the energy to do anything else. I have leg and hand cramps. I wake up in the middle of the night with cramps in my legs. My doctor has been doing all kind of blood work on me. None of it points to an answer for fatigue.

Did your doctor check all your hormones? I know that Forteo is a synthetic parathyroid hormone....maybe that as some effect with fatigue. But also just with aging and lowered hormones in general people become more fatigued.

I think I've been fatigued my whole life ! I haven't started Forteo yet. I came here to learn more about it. I am unsure what to do.
0 Replies

daddyb

Sun 8 Jul, 2007 08:53 am
I am a 60 year old male. I have been taking Forteo for the past 17 months. I just started to have Muscle and Joint pain about 3 weeks ago. I plan to complete the 24 month program unless the pain becomes intolerable. The pain I felt from the fractures in my spine before I started Forteo injections was much worse. My brother, who is 5 years older, took the full 24 month treatment with no known side effects.
0 Replies

PJV

Sun 8 Jul, 2007 09:09 am
I am not sure about taking Forteo because I don't have any pain, and I have not had any fractures. The only thing that causes my doctor to recommend it is my low bone density score (Z score - 2.9) and the fact that my mom has lost a lot of height.

I do wonder how they have accessed the cancer risk? Just because they aren't seeing cancer occur during the 24 month period doesn't mean it wouldn't cause cancer that shows up 5 years later or 10 years later. Literature that comes with Forteo states that they don't know the cancer risk for people.

Also at 50 I think I am probably younger than the average person who is prescribed Forteo, so I would have more years to see an after affect than somone who was 80 and beginning Forteo.
0 Replies

Parisa

Sat 21 Jul, 2007 01:42 pm
Foreo
Does anybody have any fever and chills as side affect of Forteo? Please help me. My mom has started using it about 8 days ago and she has these symptoms. She is suffering a lot. What should we do?
0 Replies

PJV

Sat 21 Jul, 2007 02:12 pm
Did you check this with her doctor? One thing they have to be careful of is not having too much calcium in the blood.
0 Replies

Parisa

Sun 22 Jul, 2007 05:03 am
Forteo and fever
Hi there,

I am posting this from Iran and the medical care here is not as it should be. We could not contact the doctor. I checked my mom's blood's test and her Calcium in Serum is 9.2 mg/dL with a normal range of 8.5- 10.6 mg/dL. She is taking Iboprophen to deal with her fever and it works. Is it OK to take Iboprophen for about one month? The fever itself does not cause any harm to her, because I had heard somewhere that fever kills some cells?

I really appreciate your help.
0 Replies

bhennessy

Sun 22 Jul, 2007 02:43 pm
Side effects of Forteo
I am 51 years old and have been taking Forteo for almost 2 months. I have been having all kinds of side effects. I wasn't really relating some of them to the Forteo at first but today I almost fell a few times. I will be calling my Dr. in the AM. My symptoms : low energy, fever/ chills, digestive problems, joint pain , muscle weakness, sinus infection and cough. Any one out there experiencing these?
0 Replies

PJV

Sun 22 Jul, 2007 03:52 pm
Re: Side effects of Forteo
bhennessy wrote:
I am 51 years old and have been taking Forteo for almost 2 months. I have been having all kinds of side effects. I wasn't really relating some of them to the Forteo at first but today I almost fell a few times. I will be calling my Dr. in the AM. My symptoms : low energy, fever/ chills, digestive problems, joint pain , muscle weakness, sinus infection and cough. Any one out there experiencing these?

Forteo releases a jolt of parathyroid hormone into the body in order to stimulate bone growth. I wonder why this would cause those kinds of symptoms?

My mom and aunt took forteo and never had any symptoms like you discribe. Now about 5 years later my mom has leukemia and I wonder if that is related to forteo?
0 Replies

kathleenmuschio

Wed 1 Aug, 2007 06:23 pm
Forteo
I am 56 YO Cauc. petite female. Was dx with osteopenia at age 50, started on Fosamax then and took it for 4 years. There was no change in my numbers...which was presented to me a success. Now two years after stopping that medication, I am diagnosed with full blown osteoporosis, and my MD has suggested FORTEO. I am hesitant because of 'black box' warning, also I have never had any fractures [to my knowledge]. I have started a vigorous weight training regimen.
I don't like the idea of taking a medication that has not had long track record. My confidence in medical/pharmecudical community is limited. I am glad to find this forum, and have read every posting from the beginning of this thread. I'll keep all of you posted about my progress. Cool
0 Replies

PJV

Thu 2 Aug, 2007 11:12 am
Kathleen,

I was diagnosed with full blown osteoporosis the very first time I was tested at age 40. At the time I felt fine and was very athletic....playing tennis 10 hours a week and also doing weight training every day. I had had a stress fracture in my foot from running......but is that something that non-osteoporotic people get too? I don't know. I have really questioned what the significance is of the BMD tests. They never used to use that as a criteria to lable someone as having osteoporosis and being abnormal.

I realize that now they are trying to nip the problem in the bud to stop further bone loss so that it doesn't get to the point of being so frail that one gets fractures just from sneezing. That makes sense. but I just don't know that the drugs they give really do much. Could it be that simple exercise will do more than the drugs?

Here is an article from a site I found that talks about misconceptions with bone density testing results:

http://www.womentowomen.com/bonehealth/bonemineraldensitytests.asp

I also question, like others do that maybe Fosamax will increase a BMD reading but not necessarily produce good quality flexible bone that is healthy. In other words.....are we just taking the drug to improve an arbitrary Z score but might we be making our bones thick and brittle and full of old bone?

I took Actonel for about 4 or 5 years and my bone density went lower. OK that could really just be due to the fact that I moved and was being measured by a different machine. Who knows? But now they want me to take Forteo.

See this article too:

http://www.womentowomen.com/bonehealth/osteoporosis.asp

Pam
0 Replies

PJV

Fri 3 Aug, 2007 07:28 am
Some people say they are ignoring the Black Box Warning with the reasoning that in the study mice were given very high doses and that mice biology is different than humans. HOWEVER, if that is so then why did Lilly run such a flawed study? If mice biology is so different ... then what value was the study? They've done no other study to prove their theories. It seems to me that if Lilly cannot guarantee the saftey of the drug for humans based on any tests or scientific formula then the fact is that humans are acting as guinea pigs and 10 or 20 years down the road is when they will know the full effect.

This is the part that bothers me. After the fact, Lilly went back and gave their mice/rat study a certain spin to make it seem that the drug was OK for humans. But if mice biology is so different then why did they choose to do a study with mice/rats in the first place? That would not be logical or scientific on their part. Why can't they demonstrate the saftey biologically ?

Years ago we were told that synthetic estrogen was safe too but then years down the road we were told that it wasn't and that it's benefit for bones was not that much. It seems to me big drug companies will over and over put out drugs that they don't fully know the effect of and that is swept under the rug by all mainstream doctors.

I think the whole thing of prescribing based on BMD whether or not the person has ever had a fracture is flawed. They need to do a baseline measurement when a person is 25 or 30 as a point of comparison. I had my first measurement at age 40 and I was already defined as having osteoporosis. Now at age 50 my BMD went down slightly and my doctor is treating this like a big emergency. I had also moved and was being measured with a different machine.....so I say was that a true decrease or just from a different calibration of a machine? Also doesn't BMD loss level off naturally 10 years after menopause? It could be that a BMD might be stable even without drugs. Who can know what effect the drugs really have?

Has anyone experienced an increase in BMD from taking Forteo?
0 Replies

not2ez

Mon 6 Aug, 2007 12:07 pm
Forteo side effects
I have been on Forteo for five months, since March 2007, and the only side effect has been occasional growing-pain like symptoms. I'm in my late 50s so I'm certainly not growing any more but it feels like it did when I was 16 and growing several inches a year (I'm, 6'4"). The pain moves from bone to bone, e.g. femur, tibia, ulna, radius, hip joints, shoulder joints, toes, fingers, etc. It's probably because the drug is doing its job. This is a minor discomfort and would not change my mind as to usage. I trust my physician. Shocked
0 Replies