pennekintz

Wed 17 Feb, 2010 12:56 pm
@PJV,
I have been sticking with taking this medicine, however, I have DAILY joint and muscle pain. At times it is crippling. I wondered if it is whatever the med is doing to change the bone that is causing the pain.
0 Replies

Carol1

Fri 18 Jun, 2010 01:26 pm
@Carol1,
I also had trouble finding a compatible training time, so a nurse was going to walk me through it on the phone. After reading up on the procedure and making myself familiar with the process, I went ahead and gave the shot myself -alone- before the nurse phone appointment. I thought I'd be less nervous without someone watching or listening to me. Find a fatty area and go for it. I started on my stomach, but found I much prefer my thigh. It's scary the first week, but after that, it gets much easier. Good luck!
0 Replies

Denisev

Mon 9 May, 2011 12:41 pm
@MariJ,
I have been on Forteo for three months and always inject in my stomach. However, I just noticed that my hysterectomy scar (1985 surgery) is red and somewhat painful. More than likely it is from the Forteo. I also have swelling. I plan on injecting my thigh from now on. Does anyone else know of this type of reaction to a scar.
0 Replies

Denisev

Mon 9 May, 2011 12:44 pm
@michele heiderer,
I have been on Forteo and have experienced abdominal bloating. I inject myself in the stomach. I have also noticed an irritation by a hysterectomy scar (25 years old). I assume this is also related to Forteo. I will now inject into my thigh. Does anyone else have an problems with an old scar. Thanks.
0 Replies

carol ferrante

Tue 18 Oct, 2011 01:54 pm
@CF,
I am 51 and have serious osteoporosis. I have taken Forteo for 2 months and have not had any side effects. My chances of a serious break are very high, so I am taking Forteo (none of the other drugs have prevented continued loss for the last 10 years). Please keep posting, as this is a relatively new drug and who really knows what could happen.
0 Replies

texngirl

Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:06 pm
@Jackzvi,
Hi- Did it return after you got off ther Forteo? My mother has been on Forteo 18months and her short term memory has almost completly deteriorated in that time peroid and I have to believe there is a relatitionship...any insight you can provide would be helpful thanks!
0 Replies

texngirl

Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:08 pm
@Cynthia T,
Hi- Did you see improvement in short term memory after getting off Forteo? we are expperiencing severe short term memory loss after 18 months on Forteo, I am trying to figure out if this is a side effect or coincidence.
0 Replies

texngirl

Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:11 pm
@Cynthia T,
Hi- Did you see improvement in your Short Term Memory after getting OFF of Forteo? Or did it not improve. I am investigating whether this is a symptom or coincidence....mother has been on Forteo 18 months and neurologist says she now has a severe short term memory problem, he is not aware of the Forteo use ...I think it is possible there is connection to Forteo. Any insight you can provide would be helpful.
0 Replies

texngirl

Tue 31 Jul, 2012 04:13 pm
@michele heiderer,
Did you see improvement with your short term memory once you got OFF the Forteo? we are having similar problems. any insight would be appreciated
0 Replies

Patti in Kenmore

Thu 23 Aug, 2012 02:59 pm
@michele heiderer,
After 2-1/2 months of Forteo use, today I noticed pain left of and just slightly below the left knee. Seems to be a bone, maybe. Not sure. Pain occurs when leaning forward while bending left knee slightly. I inject in abdomen and thighs; clockwise sequence - left thigh, right thigh, right abdomen, left abdomen. Do seem to be gaining weight, but not sure if it's from getting less exercise recently or from injections.
0 Replies

Rebecca Lee

Thu 28 Mar, 2013 10:46 pm
@michele heiderer,
Hi Michele,
This thread I found has no dates to the postings so this may be a very tardy response. I suffered extreme edema in my hands, legs, feet & face
- especially the lips. I looked like a blimp that would explode with a pin prick! Also my head became congested due to the facial swelling so I started having nosebleeds several times a day. Doesn't look like I'll be able to continue the Forteo for those reasons.

Did your edema diminish the longer you were on the medication by chance?
Mary M

Wed 15 May, 2013 06:12 am
@michele heiderer,
Hi Michele, Are you still using Forteo? Do you still notice edema? I started Forteo 2-1/2 months ago. Mary
0 Replies

Mary M

Wed 15 May, 2013 06:16 am
@Rebecca Lee,
Hi Rebecca, I see your post is a couple of months old. I wondered are you still using Forteo? And having severe edema problems? I just started Forteo 2-1/2 months ago, and feel puffy(hard to explain) especially my thighs. I feel weight gain but again was not able to exercise much in the past year. I particularly notice thick-feeling thighs when trying to wear my pants. Mary
mel4

Mon 30 Sep, 2013 11:42 am
I have been on Forteo for 11 days. My bone density is -4.6 in the spine. I always exercise and today I was so tired I had to leave. I am not comfortable taking Forteo but also don't want more bone loss. I am 64.
0 Replies

Sundaymonday

Tue 14 Jan, 2014 07:05 pm
@Miller,
Hi
I was wondering if you are still taking forteo. They want to put my husband on it. And I'm scared. Thanks Cindy
0 Replies

pioneer07

Wed 15 Jan, 2014 03:51 pm
In spite of the fact that Forteo has been available for four years recently, it is one of the freshest pharmaceuticals endorsed by the FDA to treat osteoporosis. It is in this way justifiable that patients are as of now looking for consolation that the pill is protected and successful. From magazine articles to web seeks, it is dependably challenging to recognize what data is truthful and from a dependable source. The most ideal approach to choose if Forteo is suitable help is to verify with your M.d whether the profits exceed the dangers, mulling over your singular case.
0 Replies

james fraser5

Thu 16 Jan, 2014 12:07 am
@TheyLoveShellBeach,
The FDA has given a warning regarding this drug which is called as black box warning - In male and female rats, teriparatide caused an increase in the incidence of osteosarcoma (a malignant bone tumor) that was dependent on dose and treatment duration. The effect was observed at systemic exposures to teriparatide ranging from 3 to 60 times the exposure in humans given a 20-mcg dose. Because of the uncertain relevance of the rat osteosarcoma finding to humans, teriparatide should be prescribed only to patients for whom the potential benefits are considered to outweigh the potential risk. Teriparatide should not be prescribed for patients who are at increased baseline risk for osteosarcoma (including those with Paget's disease of bone or unexplained elevations of alkaline phosphatase, open epiphyses, or prior external beam or implant radiation therapy involving the skeleton)
0 Replies

winn826

Fri 22 Aug, 2014 04:04 pm
@Mary M,
On my 5th pen. Weight gain and the thick thighs just like you. Some people say it is the function of sticking a needle in (the thick thighs), but don't understand weight gain?
0 Replies

KDP-1

Sun 30 Dec, 2018 09:30 pm
Hi Everyone,

I suffered from several different fractures and diagnosed with Full Blown Osteoporosis before I was 20 years old!

I was told not to get pregnant or I'd be in a wheelchair before the age of 30. Sadly and Selfishly I didn't listen and I had 2 successful pregnancies and 2 miscarriages. But they really took a toll on my bones!!

By the age of 26 (after my 1st born) my bones were diagnosed as that of a 74 yr old lady. And by the age of 29 (after the miscarriages and my 2nd born) my bones were diagnosed as that of a lady in her mid 90's.

I tried several bone building medicines, as well as estrogen and Nothing was working. I was just getting lower and lower into the minuses on the Bone Density Scan Chart.

After decades of nothing helping my bones, and by the age of 4, my city finally got an Endocrinologist!
Finally I learned of and tried Forteo. I was on Forteo for 2.5 years, and during that time, the only side effect I had was a very intensely sore jaw. But I think I'd take a sore jaw again to go back on Forteo again and feel my bones getting stronger, bcuz while I was taking the Forteo, I could really feel my bone strength getting stronger and stronger. Even my muscle strength for steiner!

But sadly due to the warnings, my Endocrinologist said I had to stop taking it.
And in these past 10 years I have slowly felt my bones withering away and getting weaker, and now that I am 58 1/4, and just in this past month alone, I have broken my ribs on 2 separate occasions; once turning over onto my stomach while on a padded medical table and once bending over from a sitting position to grab something off of the floor.
I am in so much pain again, suffering with these broken ribs on both sides of my torso! Plu, a little over a year ago, at the age of 56 1/2, I broke my back lifting my 21 month old baby Grandson.
I ended up having to get spinal surgery last year and to this day, I still haven't fully recovered. In fact, I'm waiting for a CT Scan of my spine bcuz it feels like I'm walking around with more spinal fractures! Actually, I was supposed to get my CT Scan yesterday Dec 29/2018, but I had to postpone it bcuz there's absolutely no way I can lay down on that hard table/bed with my broken ribs!

And now with my broken ribs and barely able to breathe, I can feel my body/bones getting weaker and weaker. My ankles even hurt to walk, but I know this is bcuz I've been layed up for a few weeks with my ribs and basically getting no exercise of any kind.

In my younger days I was always 5' 7", but by time I was in my mid 20's, I was already losing bone density and height! I went from being 5' 7", down to 5' 5" by the age of 26, and now I am down to 5' 4 1/2" at the age of 58.

I'm hoping to either be allowed to do another term of FORTEO, or finally start on PROLIA come the new year of 2019...

QUESTION #1... Has anyone done more than 1 term of FORTEO?? And if so, did you have any bad side effects?
QUESTION #2... And/or, has anyone been on PROLIA for more than 1 year and can you feel your bones getting stronger? Or are you having any bad side effects from the PROLIA?

Thank You in advance for your Answers, Advice or Stories!

And Good Luck to you all with whatever medication you are taking to Strengthen your bones...

Oh, and a very Happy New Year, and all the best in 2019...

KDP
0 Replies

foothillanesthesia

Fri 14 Jun, 2019 06:27 am
@CF,
Forteo is only available in injectable form and it is injected daily. The needles are very small so there is no pain involved.
0 Replies