Smdsac

Mon 5 Sep, 2005 07:48 pm
Re: Forteo
charcok wrote:
I am an 79 yr old male who took forteo for only 6 weeks as I had severe osteoporosis, the results are as following, I ended up with Lumbar seteosis w/ nerve irration and Cervical Spondylosis. If I had any idea that any of this would happen I would never had taken the medicine. I could not tolorate Fosamax or Actonel.

I am very interested in your situation. I have been taking the drug for approximately two and one half months with few problems. I have multiple sclerosis, and there is no drug interaction with the interferon I take, and this hormone. However, in the last month, I have developed neck spasms and problems that are unbearable. I was concerned about your diagnoses and whether they tied this to the Forteo (?). I am getting an cervical MRI this week. Please let me know what you think.
0 Replies

tomboy53

Fri 7 Oct, 2005 12:40 pm
Forteo injections
I just found out that I have osteoporosis and was told that Forteo would be the best for me to build up bone mass. I will start taking Forteo injections next month. Can anyone tell me if they have experienced alot of side effects. I have read the side effects but am afraid of getting headaches. I have a history of migraines. Thank you for your time. I would appreciate any response for those taking Forteo.
0 Replies

Christoffel

Fri 7 Oct, 2005 01:00 pm
Forteo Injections
I was on Forteo for 2 years - It did a great job on my hips. When I first started I seemed a little light headed - may have just been the effect of giving my self the injections. Never had a headache with it. I have been prone to migraines in the past. Hope this helps - good luck. chris
0 Replies

diannevw

Thu 13 Oct, 2005 07:26 pm
My Mother had been on Forteo for about 5+ months. She is 73yo and has tried all of the other osteoporosis medications, only to have severe stiff neck pains 2-3 days after taking. Forteo was introduced to her and she has done quite well. She has the leg cramps and dizzyness but over the past month or so she has started what the Dr's call "intentional tremers" mostly in her right arm/hand. She has a hard time holding a fork or a glass when trying to eat they have gotten so bad. MRI of the brain showed nothing, her medical Dr has no clue, so here I am. I'm just wondering if anyone else is having any of the tremers/shakes in hands/arms? I think what she might have to do is go off of the Forteo...that will open up the possibility of bone breakage. She is an active woman. Any ideas? Thanks for reading.
0 Replies

RandalD

Sat 29 Oct, 2005 11:37 am
For the sake of disseminating information on experiences with Forteo, I thought I would pass on my experiences.

I was diagnosed with the big O about four years ago at age 46 after a minor accident caused thoracic fractures. It took a couple of weeks for anybody to think of osteoporosis because of my age, male gender, and level of physical strength/condition/activity. At my 4-year density check (Jun '05) there was no improvement with Fosomax, so Forteo was prescribed.

I have the typical leg cramp side effects, but a bigger side effect for me was flu-like symptoms of medium headache, body aches, and fever-like chills that would onset at T+2hours and last for about five hours. At the time I was taking Forteo in the morning. My "solution" has been to take 400mg of ibuprofen a half hour before bedtime, then take the Forteo at bedtime. I'm just learning to live with the leg cramps, but I rarely have what I call the "Forteo Flu."

On Forteo effectiveness regarding pain, etc...it is worth mentioning that I do have a string of trauma related thoracic compression fractures that are now 4+ years old. Pain associated with them is exacerbated by the osteo. After 3 months on Forteo, I actually do think my pain is lessening. Fingers and toes crossed.

So, has anyone accidently left their Forteo out of the fridge? Finally happened to me last night. Of course, it's a new pen. Not sure what to do now. Am I boned :wink: for this month, or do I just press on and take it anyway?
0 Replies

LindaWalters

Wed 2 Nov, 2005 09:39 pm
Forteo
This is my first time posting. My 83yr mother is considering trying Forteo and I told her I would do some checking for her. She already has severe shaking in her hands and head. I'm concerned the drug may aggravate her condition. Her problem is in her lower back and has recently caused problems with her sciatic nerve. She is also major care giver of my 95 yr father and she tends to have no patience with new medication if the relief is not fairly quick. Doctors have had her on morphine patches, etc. but theytend to make her too drousy and therefore unable to care for my dad. Any suggestions are appreciated. You may contact me at [email protected]
0 Replies

Teresa2

Fri 4 Nov, 2005 09:59 am
forteo question
I just started Forteo a month ago.
I have a question.
I started my new dose pen three days ago, and since yesterday, I have been experiencing some fleeting pain. It does not last long, and seems to feel sort of like a "throbbing" pain. It may be in my leg, my knee, or my arm. The pain does not last long.
Has anyone else experienced symptoms like this?
I am 54 and was not diagnosed with osteoporosis. I have osteopenia.
I was on Fosamax for 3 years and continued to lose bone density every year I was on the Fosamax. I was sent to an endocrinologist who recommended Forteo.
Is this over kill treatment at this time? Is the fleeting pain normal?
Teresa2
0 Replies

RandalD

Fri 11 Nov, 2005 12:22 pm
Teresa, that is a good description for the leg cramp/pain side effect. I would use the term fleeting at times also. But sometimes, it hangs in there for longer periods.

Whether it is overkill or not may depend on your history. If you have already been using the Fosamax family of drugs for a couple of years and shown only decline in mass, then I would think Forteo would be the call. That is the logic they used for me.
0 Replies

calliebebe

Thu 17 Nov, 2005 05:11 pm
Forteo
An orthopedic physician just recommended Forteo for me. I am 55, have osteopenia, bone density loss signficant over last two years, am taking Femara, a hormone therapy for breast cancer which is a risk factor for bone loss. He said another two years of Actonel which I just started would not help and I'd probably have more bone loss and starting Forteo at that point might be too late. So, I'm seriously considering taking it. I've read many of the postings and appreciate everyone's input, positive and negative. I too travel and am very active and would like to remain so for many years. Has anyone taken it under similar circumstances and what have been your experiences, results?
0 Replies

FriendlyPharmacist

Wed 21 Dec, 2005 03:36 pm
Forteo
This is in response to the leg pain complaint of people injecting Forteo. I have found that Co-Enzyne Q-10 100mg oil filled capsules along with b-complex vitamins twice a day to be helpful for this type of pain.

Also I have a rheumatologist colleague of mine who have been treating patients for the last two years and all of their patients have shown bone density improvement with minimal side effects.

In addition to this hormone there are other "bio-identical hormones" that contribute to increase in bone density. Progesterone (real not synthetic progestins) given cyclically plays a role in bone density increase. The androgens Testosterone and DHEA also play a vital role in bone density increase, but should only be administered under the supervision of someone trained in BHRT (bio-identical hormone replacement therapy)
0 Replies

not2broken

Mon 16 Jan, 2006 08:52 pm
Forteo side effects
I'm a 46 y/o male with moderate Osteoporosis. Started on Forteo about 3 weeks ago. The shots are much less of big deal than I thought. I am having some joint pain that seems to move around my body. It's not intolerable and I'm hoping it'll lessen over time. I opted to use Forteo because I have fractures that are causing pain and I don't want to be so vulnerable to future fractures. Seems like the gains outweigh the risks. Anyway, just wanted to say hi to fellow travellers. Weird journey, right?
0 Replies

hiker

Sun 5 Feb, 2006 08:50 pm
HI
I am a 63 yr. old female just starting Forteo after unsuccessful treatment with Actonel and Fosamax. The idea of the injections don't bother me...
however, the refrigeration part does.
my husband and I do lots of camping, hiking and sometimes backpacking.
we are retired and are away from home for several months at a time.
I am determined to incorporate this into my lifestyle...but it is taking some creative thinking.
The posts on keeping Forteo at the proper temp. have been interesting.

How do people using i.e. thermos bottle, different packs, etc, know their pen is at proper temp. Especially in a bottle with ice.
I cannot afford to lose a month's supply.
also, how many of you order more than a month at a time.

thanks....
hiker
0 Replies

marlena

Wed 8 Feb, 2006 02:24 pm
Forteo
I am so glad I found this forum!
I'm 60, with advanced osteoporosis and 2 wrist fractures already. I started with Forteo 2 weeks ago. I take right before bed time b/c I have tendency for dizziness. Had a few feet cramps the first 3 nights but haven't had the problem lately.
What I am having now is terrible bitter taste in my mouth, most of the day and night, accompanied by sharp pain (on and off) in my liver area.
Has anybody had these symptoms? Any stomach problems other than nausea? What about memory loss or "thick brain"?
Two months ago I was diagnosed with celiac disease and many food allergies. My diet is VERY limited and it seems that since I started with Forteo, my digestive system is overly sensitive.

I had breast cancer 4 years ago. I had been taking Evista for over 2 years but I had to discontinue it b/c of the cancer. I had been taking Actonel for 4 years, but probably due to the celiac disease, it was NOT doing anything and my bones were worst. So the doctor suggested Forteo since it goes directly into the blood system.
Thank you all for sharing your information. I will be going on an international trip, long plane ride and would like to know more about dealing with keeping it cool, what to use to measure the temperature, etc.

The last question I have is the cost. I got this first kit free from Dr, and have no idea of the cost nor how much the insurance will pay. My Dr said the cost is comparable with Actonel. Is he pulling my leg?
Any suggestions will be very appreciated.
Marlena
0 Replies

GAC74

Thu 23 Feb, 2006 04:40 pm
Forteo
I am beginning my second month on Forteo, and so far have not noticed any side effects. I had no idea it was such an expensive drug!
0 Replies

GAC74

Thu 23 Feb, 2006 04:41 pm
cost of Forteo
Marlena....I read your posting. Average cost of Forteo is right around $700.00. I checked four online pharmacies.

Yikes!!!!! I hope insurance pays most of it!!
0 Replies

Cathy5259

Sun 5 Mar, 2006 11:42 pm
I began taking Forteo a month ago. I had increasingly painful head and upper neckaches. Also, I had mild to moderate nausea. I also felt a drop in energy and began taking the Forteo at night before bedtitme. At first, that did the trick, then the side-effects continued into that next day. The headaches and nausea got so bad that I stopped taking the forteo after two weeks. I talked to my rheumatologist who told me how important it was to continue, if I could handle it. He suggested startiing with one shot per week and increasing the injections if I tolerate it. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am 54, female and have been diagnosed with severe osteoporsis. Ii have taken plenty of meds in my lifetime so I am stunned that this has transpired with a medication that is supposed to have few side-effects. Help!
0 Replies

marshajk

Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:51 pm
I was at the doctors today and to start Forteo. I was glad to find this center but also unprepared for the cost and all of the side effects. My doctor made this sound pretty simple and not to expensive
0 Replies

Cathy5259

Tue 7 Mar, 2006 09:07 pm
Re: Forteo
FriendlyPharmacist wrote:
This is in response to the leg pain complaint of people injecting Forteo. I have found that Co-Enzyne Q-10 100mg oil filled capsules along with b-complex vitamins twice a day to be helpful for this type of pain.

Also I have a rheumatologist colleague of mine who have been treating patients for the last two years and all of their patients have shown bone density improvement with minimal side effects.

In addition to this hormone there are other "bio-identical hormones" that contribute to increase in bone density. Progesterone (real not synthetic progestins) given cyclically plays a role in bone density increase. The androgens Testosterone and DHEA also play a vital role in bone density increase, but should only be administered under the supervision of someone trained in BHRT (bio-identical hormone replacement therapy)
Quote:
I wanted to thank you for your suggestion of the Co-enzyme Q 10 100mg oil. Even thouough I have no leg cramps I have other body pain with the Forteo and I'll givi it a try. I will let you know if it helped.
0 Replies

NortheastRick

Mon 13 Mar, 2006 01:47 pm
thank you for all the information
I just want to give a quick thank you to everyone that has posted. My 63 year old dad has been taking Forteo for approx. 5-6 mo and is schedule for a bone density test soon. I will continue to post updates and check often. The family is worried about the possibility of the black box label side effects. But its comforting to hear that it is helping many people.
0 Replies

hiker

Wed 22 Mar, 2006 02:17 pm
forteo
I am doing ok on the Forteo....I also had low energy and very rapid heart rate...
I take mine before bedtime also...
I am now working to keep it cold when I travel. If anyone has any tips, post them please.

My insurance had to pre-approve the use of it and did so for 6 months and then I have to have another bone density and if it isn't working, I'll stop taking it. if it is, then they'll "re-up" for another 6 mo.
My co-pay if $131/mo....the pharmacy says it is $675 without the insurance. I am lucky.

hiker
0 Replies