Anorexic Looking Woman at Work - Pregnant

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 09:30 am
Chai wrote:

Screw the title of the thread. Obviously the initiator was just prodding to get reactions. I'm morphing into a more serious matter beyond looks.

I know you're morphing. That's why I said I can't go there with you. You're arguing with yourself, essentially. You're talking about a hypothetical situation that nobody else is arguing about. We're talking about skinny, you're talking about abuse. I know you want to fight but you're spinning your wheels here.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 09:44 am
mismi wrote:
I know I am setting myself up here but you all know cjhsa...he likes reactions. He simply said the woman looks funny because she is so tall and thin with a baby bump, and that he hoped she was taking care of herself. I did not find it that offensive...his post (though I am not sure why he felt like sharing) got an immediate reaction and we all gave our 2 cents worth on why it is okay or not okay and whether we should or shouldn't or what we did or didn't.

I can't see that one person here was actually out of line in their own thinking. It was their own point of view. What they would do IF they felt someone was being uncaring. Though as an aside I personally felt the whole subject morphed into an incredibly baffling thread since I feel there is such a fine line between this and abortion and comes amazingly close to what is your own business and someone elses and government intervention where it really is not its business...got very muddled for me there. But I avoided that observation - because I know what I believe.

But I am with cjhsa here in that it is surprising the amount of posts this has generated and how it got a little heated. Very odd that two different sets of folks got riled over it. Because ultimately it is just a quite empty observation. No teeth...nothing really that interesting about it.

Of course except for my post - which was and still is fascinating.

<smooch> Very Happy
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 09:45 am
mismi, I appreciate you more and more each day Very Happy
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 10:00 am
JPB wrote:

<smooch> Very Happy

Tai Chi wrote:
mismi, I appreciate you more and more each day Very Happy

ahhhh moral support - how sweet it is :wink: (thanks girls!)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 10:07 am
Chai wrote:
Why is it you insist on thinking I'm talking about someone who is merely thin, or, for a period, is experiencing difficulty?

I didn't think I could say it more cleary than I have.

Well, there was this:

Chai wrote:
If a woman is truly underweight and I worked with her, I'd have no problem asking her if her doctor said she was gaining enough weight.

I wouldn't assume that perhaps she's anorexic. More that she might not be gaining enough because of something like extreme morning sickness.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 10:33 am
In other news, she gave birth to a bouncing baby bowling ball.

http://www.readymagnet.com/bowling-ball7.jpg
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 10:37 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Chai wrote:

Screw the title of the thread. Obviously the initiator was just prodding to get reactions. I'm morphing into a more serious matter beyond looks.

I know you're morphing. That's why I said I can't go there with you. You're arguing with yourself, essentially. You're talking about a hypothetical situation that nobody else is arguing about. We're talking about skinny, you're talking about abuse. I know you want to fight but you're spinning your wheels here.

Exactly my thought when I read Chai's response. I believe only one person came out and argued/disagreed with what Chai said and now all of a sudden because people discussed about various bodies it was an attack on what she said. Doesn't make sense.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 11:56 am
Not attacked.....ignored.

and the one person who is disagreeing is just being difficult for difficulties sake.

ok...uninteresting thread....no one understands why it was started. people making statements about thin pregnant woman....someone comes along to start a discussion, not argument.....to try to make thread interesting.....is ignored.

instead, more talk of how this thread is uninteresting.

Honestly?

I feel like I'm saying something somewhat thought provoking, perhaps to encourage talk of....oh....I don't know.....where to draw the line?

instead, there's no response, just talk of why someone started this thread, and how it's uninteresting.

It's like I'm invisible....like....oh, someone keeps nattering on about something, let's just talk about how interesting this thread is.

jesus, except for me, all this thread has been is people getting getting it locked temporarily, or saying it's uninteresting, or how they didn't gain much weight while preggers.

now even I think it's uninteresting.

screw it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 12:04 pm
http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/rbo/lowres/rbon53l.jpg
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 02:24 pm
LMFAO!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 03:15 pm
DrewDad wrote:
LMFAO!

Now what the h*ll does that mean
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 03:22 pm
Seriously? Laughing My Fat Ass Off.

Alternate usage: Rolling on the Floor Laughing My Fat Ass Off.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 01:06 pm
I just saw her again. Actually she's quite pretty, but man is she ever skinny.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 02:44 pm
I was following up the initial post with the thought that different people look different while they're pregnant even if they're doing all the right things and the fact that most women, who are happy to be pregnant and want the baby, do in fact feel very concerned with doing the best they can for their growing baby and that if there is something that appears in any way abnormal to themselves or others, they've probably already thought of that and are in fact, thinking about it and worrying about it every day in which the circumstance exists - so that it might not be especially the most helpful thing for an outsider to assume that the person is NOT in fact doing the best she can and comments on the obvious difference, making it perhaps the hundredth time she's had it brought to her attention in as many days.

Because, people do seem to feel that pregnant women are public property and that people can pat their belly and coo and ooh and aah and on top of that make comments about their health and well-being that they would never make to any other adult.

I think it's just good to be sensitive and try not to worry a pregnant woman unnecessarily any more than she may already be worried or concerned.

I wasn't ignoring you - I was addressing your specific point and belief that it would be good to say something directly to a person who evidenced the reality of something you perceived might be going on. I don't think anyone who isn't intimately aware with the facts of the situation should - unless specifically asked - UNLESS you are aware of abuse or dangerous negligence and then it makes more sense to go to the proper authorities directly instead of the woman herself. If you ask her about it and she's NOT doing it - she'll be offended, and if you ask her about it and she IS doing it, she'll realize she needs to be more careful about hiding whatever she may be doing that is detrimental.
I only told my story to illustrate the fact that a pregnant woman could look thin and have a healthy baby-so each and every stranger on the street doesn't necessarily need to worry about every small or thin pregnant woman.

I have a friend who topped out at 110 pounds nine months pregnant (she started at 5'1 and 90 pounds (TINY!) and she just delivered a healthy six pound baby girl- her third.

I actually found the whole thread interesting - except the back and forth insulting.

CJ- I also have to tell you that I laughed at something you posted for the first time -the female ted Nugent my space person and the extremely obese pregnant woman swallowed by the leopard...I found them both pretty entertaining.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 05:41 am
jenluvsthenuge is a hoot, isn't she?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 01:23 pm
cjhsa wrote:
jenluvsthenuge is a hoot, isn't she?

yeah - you gotta love people like her - at least I do - talk about an original.
0 Replies