Anorexic Looking Woman at Work - Pregnant

cjhsa

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 08:26 am
This lady is about 5'10" tall, and has always been way too thin. She's now pregnant. Most women look like they have a watermelon in their stomach. This one looks like she swallowed a bowling ball.

It's just the oddest thing. I hope that she's getting good prenatal care.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,349 • Replies: 75
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 08:40 am
None of your business, I think.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 08:43 am
Depending on a number of factors, I don't know if I would think it's none of my business or not.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 08:45 am
Certainly doesn't hurt to hope she is getting good prenatal care when she is that thin...I know it's the first thing I think of. Ultimately it is up to her. You can't MAKE someone take care of themselves for their babies sake can you?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 08:45 am
Pretty sure there are no factors I can think of which would make it any of my business.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 08:51 am
i knew of a true anorexic woman who used to swim at the Y who had 5 children. she told me she loved being pregnant because it was a chance to be "fat" for a reason.

i think it's anyones business who'se concerned for her well-being.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 09:11 am
I wouldn't be concerned about her well being as much as the human living inside her that can't tell its host to eat something, stop smoking, wear your seat belt, etc.

Why is it ok to require someone to wear a seat belt, but not ok to remind someone they're hurting their child by smoking, for instance?

If a woman is truly underweight and I worked with her, I'd have no problem asking her if her doctor said she was gaining enough weight.

I wouldn't assume that perhaps she's anorexic. More that she might not be gaining enough because of something like extreme morning sickness.

Like I said, there's a lot of factors.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 09:24 am
i think it's equal parts-- her well-being and the baby's.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 09:38 am
Chai wrote:
I wouldn't be concerned about her well being as much as the human living inside her that can't tell its host to eat something, stop smoking, wear your seat belt, etc.

Why is it ok to require someone to wear a seat belt, but not ok to remind someone they're hurting their child by smoking, for instance?

If a woman is truly underweight and I worked with her, I'd have no problem asking her if her doctor said she was gaining enough weight.

And my wife would have no problem putting you in your place.

What is it about pregnancy that makes it the world's business?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 10:07 am
And how in the world could you know if she is too underweight to support the growth of a baby? I think that's for her doctor and her to talk about. I'm not asking her to get on a scale or tell me what she's eating.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 10:09 am
I really didn't have any comment other than it looks funny.

Many people in west Michigan are uber-religious and will refuse any medical care.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 10:11 am
"anorexic looking" maybe she's just skinny, as we all like to say "fat people" are just big-framed or whatever but skinny people are anexoric? bullshi*t!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 10:12 am
You'd have to see her to understand.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 10:21 am
I know several women who actually have had difficulty gaining weight. Everyone's body is made differently. I didn't gain weight (until maybe the last 7 years or so) no matter what I ate. Having children actually helped me - now I do have to be a bit more careful.

One person I know, her doctor told her to eat potatoes to gain weight when she was pregnant because she wasn't gaining - it did help. I know another women who had a figure like you describe while she was pregnant. She had this bowling ball in the front and nothing else. It did look a bit funny but besides that she was healthy and the baby was healthy - just the way her body showed and she carried.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 10:33 am
Bears oldest daughter can't hit 100 pounds to save her life. She eats way more than I do.

Our 19 year old hit her heaviest at 105 last year (5'8) and was so excited to finally need a size 5. She eats like crazy.

I can picture either one of them looking as cjhsa describes when pregnant. Neither one likes being so skinny, nor having people comment on them looking anorexic. They aren't and it's no ones place to make those comments when they don't know them and aren't saying it to be helpful.

My daughter actually takes comfort in that I was only 110 pounds until pregnant with her and now look what happened! Very Happy
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 11:11 am
I would only make the comment here. Certainly not to her.

It is just the oddest looking configuration ever.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 11:20 am
I'm sure there are parts of your anatomy that fit that description as well.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 11:25 am
Not really. Except for my Hollywood good looks and incredibly large penis, I'm pretty average.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 11:33 am
Don't forget the Eric Estrada hair!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 11:49 am
DrewDad wrote:
And my wife would have no problem putting you in your place.

What is it about pregnancy that makes it the world's business?

That's cool....

If I really concerned about the welware of someone's life, I'm not going to let someone "put me in my place" stop me from expressing my concern.

I can take it as well as dish it out.

However, if I worked with your wife, it probably would have been for quite some time, and everyone around her would have known about the pregancy from an early stage. We'd probably all be getting regular updates about the progress of the pregnancy, and stories of decorating rooms and cribs and stuff like that.

So, after having spent 8 hours a day before and during the pregnancy, up to the point where I start wondering if everything is ok, I don't think there'd be much of an issue with another woman asking her if the doctor thinks her pregancy is progressing normally as far as weight gain.

If I knew for a fact a woman was doing something that could cause the fetus health issues, like through starvation, I'd feel obligated as a human to intercede to whatever extent I could.

I'm not going to not call it child abuse simply because there's an inch of skin between the baby and the rest of the world.

If the womans naturally thin, but in good health, then it's none of my business.
0 Replies