0
   

Is it time to retire the Pledge of Allegiance?

 
 
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 09:47 am
McGentrix wrote:
I don't believe the guys that wrote and signed the Declaration of Independence really cared about the few whiners that would take offence at the word "God" inserted in the document.


So the trolling begins.
0 Replies
 
McGentrix
 
  1  
Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 11:24 am
edgarblythe wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
I don't believe the guys that wrote and signed the Declaration of Independence really cared about the few whiners that would take offence at the word "God" inserted in the document.


So the trolling begins.


Oh please. You've been trolling this thread since it's start. Quit being such a tired old one trick pony.
0 Replies
 
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 11:25 am
You're apparently too stupid to know the difference.
0 Replies
 
McGentrix
 
  1  
Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 11:28 am
edgarblythe wrote:
You're apparently too stupid to know the difference.


And you are too much of a douchebag to care so I guess we are even. Now, instead of talking about me, get back to the topic, otherwise, I suggest you get on your knees and start sucking. It seems to be something you are good at.
0 Replies
 
Rockhead
 
  1  
Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 11:29 am
McG. What is a one trick pony, and how is it you think you are not one...
0 Replies
 
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 11:32 am
McGentrix wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
You're apparently too stupid to know the difference.


And you are too much of a douchebag to care so I guess we are even. Now, instead of talking about me, get back to the topic, otherwise, I suggest you get on your knees and start sucking. It seems to be something you are good at.


This is the last post I will ever address to you, you dumb bastard.
0 Replies
 
BumbleBeeBoogie
 
  1  
Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 11:37 am
Edgar
Edgar, the only reason McG posts on A2K is to stir up sh*t and get people angry. He follows me around to A2K and my posts just for fun. It's the only way he can get his rocks off. I wouldn't give him the satisfaction.

BBB
0 Replies
 
McGentrix
 
  1  
Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 11:41 am
edgarblythe wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
You're apparently too stupid to know the difference.


And you are too much of a douchebag to care so I guess we are even. Now, instead of talking about me, get back to the topic, otherwise, I suggest you get on your knees and start sucking. It seems to be something you are good at.


This is the last post I will ever address to you, you dumb bastard.


Thank you, you old peice of ****.
0 Replies
 
McGentrix
 
  1  
Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 11:46 am
Re: Edgar
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Edgar, the only reason McG posts on A2K is to stir up sh*t and get people angry. He follows me around to A2K and my posts just for fun. It's the only way he can get his rocks off. I wouldn't give him the satisfaction.

BBB


Don't flatter yourself so much. When 25% of the threads on the page are started by your inane cut & pastes, they are bound to be replied to. I don't reply to you directly generally, but to those who address the topic. I was doing that here until edgar decided to intrude with his big ass.
0 Replies
 
rabel22
 
  1  
Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 02:00 pm
Well the troll, Mc Gen, said to get back to the topic so I shall. Why not do away with the pledge as it is now and just state that if the continental U.S is attacked by a foreign country we will protect our country and freedom as best we can. Screw foreign wars. I for one am tired of spending our wealth and youth on wars to make the rich richer. As far as religion is concerned I think they can fend for themselves without government money that they don't need. The fact they don't pay taxes gives them a leg up on me now.
0 Replies
 
Finn dAbuzz
 
  1  
Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 04:24 pm
rabel22 wrote:
Well the troll, Mc Gen, said to get back to the topic so I shall. Why not do away with the pledge as it is now and just state that if the continental U.S is attacked by a foreign country we will protect our country and freedom as best we can. Screw foreign wars. I for one am tired of spending our wealth and youth on wars to make the rich richer. As far as religion is concerned I think they can fend for themselves without government money that they don't need. The fact they don't pay taxes gives them a leg up on me now.


Where in the Pledge are foreign wars referenced?

Why not get rid of the Pledge?

Because most people are not offended by it, and the few who are simply enjoy feeling offended.

Sorry? Is that being a "troll?"
0 Replies
 
Foofie
 
  1  
Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 05:53 pm
I submit the thought that the U.S. is quite different than many other nations, in that we are continually assimilating foreigners into our country. The only other countries I can think of that does this to any extent is Britain, France, and Israel.

O.K. then, perhaps a Pledge of Allegiance has a purpose in helping those that are expatriates of another country, and they go home (after school) to a family culture that may know little of the U.S. and its history and mores. So, similar to Social Studies in school, the Pledge of Allegiance may aid in the assimilation process for those that don't reflect second, third, etc. generations in this country. I am assuming assimilation is a good/positive goal for those attending schools in the U.S., rather than eventually have a balkanized nation with many expatriate cultures.

And, as for the "God" reference, it is again like Social Studies (which includes U.S. history) in that it tells the student that once upon a time this nation did have an overwhelming majority of people that believed in God. It is sort of like "tradition." You know like the song by that name in Fiddler On the Roof.

And, similar to many religious parents that send a child to a religious school, the atheists need not get a free ride for their children. Couldn't they then send a child to a "secular" school. As of now, religious Catholics, Jews, Protestants do pay tuition, so their children get a good religious background. Atheists should get a free ride, and have the school to their liking? Am I wrong in believing that the history of public school education goes back to the influx of immigrants that old line Americans wanted to see assimilated in as little time as possible (by having free education in English for the children of immigrants)?
0 Replies
 
old europe
 
  1  
Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 06:39 pm
Foofie wrote:
I submit the thought that the U.S. is quite different than many other nations, in that we are continually assimilating foreigners into our country. The only other countries I can think of that does this to any extent is Britain, France, and Israel.


The problem with many of your conclusions seems to be that they are often based on a faulty premise.

The countries that have a higher percentage of immigrants than the United States include: Andorra, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Monaco, Kuwait, Macau, Singapore, Bahrain, Jordan, Nauru, Israel, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Brunei, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Switzerland, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Latvia, Canada, Gabon, Lebanon, Kazakhstan, New Zealand, the Gambia, Estonia, Belize, Palau, Austria, Ukraine, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Côte d'Ivoire and Moldova.


Here's a world map with pretty colors according to their immigrant population:

http://i35.tinypic.com/k1oz8k.gif
0 Replies
 
Foofie
 
  1  
Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 06:52 pm
old europe wrote:
Foofie wrote:
I submit the thought that the U.S. is quite different than many other nations, in that we are continually assimilating foreigners into our country. The only other countries I can think of that does this to any extent is Britain, France, and Israel.


The problem with many of your conclusions seems to be that they are often based on a faulty premise.



Not a faulty premise. A lack of knowledge. I never knew that there were "real" countries besides Britain, France, and Israel. Go figure?

Well, I did know that Canada has immigrants. I thought Canada was a booby prize for those that could not get into the U.S.

But, all those other countries in the world? Down right amazing, Watson!
0 Replies
 
farmerman
 
  1  
Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 06:56 pm
ole europe
Quote:
The countries that have a higher percentage of immigrants than the United States include: Andorra, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Monaco, Kuwait, Macau, Singapore, Bahrain, Jordan, Nauru, Israel, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Brunei, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Switzerland, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Latvia, Canada, Gabon, Lebanon, Kazakhstan, New Zealand, the Gambia, Estonia, Belize, Palau, Austria, Ukraine, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Côte d'Ivoire and Moldova.




Ill bet that, with your diddleree of the numbers above, youd find that the US annual immigration , in solid numbers, is greater than all those countries COMBINED
0 Replies
 
old europe
 
  1  
Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 06:57 pm
Foofie wrote:
Not a faulty premise. A lack of knowledge.


Do tell.
0 Replies
 
old europe
 
  1  
Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 07:03 pm
farmerman wrote:
Ill bet that, with your diddleree of the numbers above, youd find that the US annual immigration , in solid numbers, is greater than all those countries COMBINED


Does that matter, though? America is a big - and overall rather sparsely populated - country.

A huge country with a population of 300 million taking in 40 million immigrants is not really more amazing than a small country with a population of 8 million taking in 1.5 million immigrants.


edit: A quick calculation says that the total numbers of immigrants in countries that have a higher percentage of immigrants than the US add up to roughly 54 million. According to the same source, there are roughly 38 million immigrants in the US. :wink:
0 Replies
 
joefromchicago
 
  1  
Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 11:00 pm
old europe wrote:
[The countries that have a higher percentage of immigrants than the United States include: Andorra, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Monaco, Kuwait, Macau, Singapore, Bahrain, Jordan, Nauru, Israel, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Brunei, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Switzerland, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Latvia, Canada, Gabon, Lebanon, Kazakhstan, New Zealand, the Gambia, Estonia, Belize, Palau, Austria, Ukraine, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Côte d'Ivoire and Moldova.

A higher percentage of immigrant citizens? Saudi Arabia, for instance, has lots of guest workers, but very few of them have even the remotest chance of becoming citizens of Saudi Arabia. The same is true of the other Persian Gulf states (and Singapore and Switzerland and a few others in your list). I think there's a big difference between admitting people who are essentially migrants (people who are transitory workers, without any reasonable hope of becoming citizens) and immigrants (people who intend to stay and become citizens in their adopted countries). From that perspective, the US has a much better record than Saudi Arabia and its neighbors.
0 Replies
 
joefromchicago
 
  1  
Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 11:03 pm
Foofie wrote:
And, as for the "God" reference, it is again like Social Studies (which includes U.S. history) in that it tells the student that once upon a time this nation did have an overwhelming majority of people that believed in God. It is sort of like "tradition." You know like the song by that name in Fiddler On the Roof.

It's good to see that god has finally found his place as a quaint artifact of a forgotten past.
0 Replies
 
cicerone imposter
 
  1  
Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 11:16 pm
As a kid, I was not as self-confident, so I said the pledge like all the other kids. Somebody mentioned that while we stood in front of the flag and said the pledge, we were one as Americans. I wouldn't go that far!~ When I was in recess, I used to fight often, because I wore glasses and many of the kids used to pick on me. I learned early on that if you fought with them, they left you alone. My report card use to say "c.i. fights too much," while my older brother got gold stars and the American flag on his.

I started questioning religion after our mom became a christian and started taking us to church. I heard so much dogma it made my head spin, and I knew the christian church wasn't for me.

If I had known what I know now about the pledge, I wouldn't even bother mouthing it. ptuey!
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Obama '08? - Discussion by sozobe
Let's get rid of the Electoral College - Discussion by Robert Gentel
McCain's VP: - Discussion by Cycloptichorn
Food Stamp Turkeys - Discussion by H2O MAN
The 2008 Democrat Convention - Discussion by Lash
McCain is blowing his election chances. - Discussion by McGentrix
Snowdon is a dummy - Discussion by cicerone imposter
TEA PARTY TO AMERICA: NOW WHAT?! - Discussion by farmerman
 
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.09 seconds on 06/18/2024 at 10:26:32