AND SO IT BEGINS? SHARIA LAW IN BRITAIN?

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 12:45 pm
Do we see anything even approaching a meagre duplication of such speculated events in Damascus, Baghdad, Mecca, Medina, Jakarta, Ankara, Cairo, Amman, Islamabad, Abuja, Tehran, Rabat, Khartoum, Kuala Lampur, Niamey, Dakar, Mogadishu, Tirana, Beirut, Tripoli, Nouakchott et al. ?

Funny statement sir.
All religions are blindfold and one sided.
Just like flag- waving patriotic patheict consumers
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 08:12 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
What is "the uniquely British culture" in your opinion?

How is this "uniquely culture" reflected NOW in the English and Welsh, the Scottish and the Norther Irish Law?

And why do you insist that their is a "British Law" when there has never been one at all?

Slow down. The law in a country is only one facet of its culture. We were talking, I thought, about whether Islamic society could supplant the British society in Britain one day. That is more than just law.

And, as far as whether there is a British culture, let us start with the Queen. Let us continue with the British sense of humor and the classic understatement. Its Anglican church, which is its own brand of Protestantism. Oh yes, let us include British women that flew cargo planes in WWII, and were not thought to be good haus fraus while the men went off to conquer the world. And, the rugged individualism whereby each generation moves out on its own was started, I thought, by the British.

Any Brit that has a daughter or sister might just not like to think that the Islamic culture could one day supplant the British culture, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 12:38 am
Foofie wrote:
Slow down. The law in a country is only one facet of its culture. We were talking, I thought, about whether Islamic society could supplant the British society in Britain one day. That is more than just law.

Sorry. I must have mistranslated the title.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 12:41 am
Foofie wrote:
Its Anglican church, which is its own brand of Protestantism.

Well, Anglicans uphold the Catholic and Apostolic faith. If that's a branch of Protestantisma - okay.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 12:10 pm
foofie wrote :

Quote:
The law in a country is only one facet of its culture. We were talking, I thought, about whether Islamic society could supplant the British society in Britain one day.

nothing new , is there ?
the christian/english/american society replaced the native "north-american" society (or whatever they called their land/society) .
look at the history of the world : these shifts do take place - sometimes slowly , sometimes rather quickly , often quite violently .
do you think those shifts should stop now ?
imo these shifts/changes will continue as long as the earth will be rotating .
i don't see anything unusual about it . i'm sure not everyone likes thse changes - but it's simply part of life on earth - we better get used to it - it's been happening for a long time already and the earth is still rotating .
hbg
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 12:29 pm
hamburger wrote:
foofie wrote :

Quote:
The law in a country is only one facet of its culture. We were talking, I thought, about whether Islamic society could supplant the British society in Britain one day.

nothing new , is there ?
the christian/english/american society replaced the native "north-american" society (or whatever they called their land/society) .
look at the history of the world : these shifts do take place - sometimes slowly , sometimes rather quickly , often quite violently .
do you think those shifts should stop now ?
imo these shifts/changes will continue as long as the earth will be rotating .
i don't see anything unusual about it . i'm sure not everyone likes thse changes - but it's simply part of life on earth - we better get used to it - it's been happening for a long time already and the earth is still rotating .
hbg

So, without any intention of putting words in your mouth or assuming thoughts in your head that you are not thinking, what are you saying here?

Are you saying that cultural changes are inevitable and therefore, while we may not personally like them, they should not be resisted?

What if your own environment there in Canada was being encroached on by people with different values, different sense of right and wrong, different sense of human rights, law, ethics, and religious imperatives? Would you think that not unusual? As these different things were gradualy, incrementally, bit by bit being forced upon the whole, would you not personally seek to resist it?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 12:44 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Are you saying that cultural changes are inevitable and therefore, while we may not personally like them, they should not be resisted?

If cultural change is inevitable, what exactly is the point of resisting? It'd be like resisting sunrise, wouldn't it?

On the other hand, as you are trying to frame the debate around the question of whether or not we should resist cultural change, you seem to work off of the premise that cultural change is not inevitable, that resisting cultural change can actually preserve a certain cultural makeup of any given society in some kind of stasis.

To me, that seems to be kind of a weird premise.

Foxfyre wrote:
What if your own environment there in Canada was being encroached on by people with different values, different sense of right and wrong, different sense of human rights, law, ethics, and religious imperatives?

Again, you're working off of a premise that you have failed to show as being true so far. Can you point to any studies that show how Muslims are "people with different values, different sense of right and wrong, different sense of human rights, law, ethics, and religious imperatives"?

I don't think so.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 01:17 pm
In fact, it probably makes sense to look at your barrage of - essentially - accusations point by point.

There has been a Gallup survey that looked specifically at those points you mentioned - values, sense of human rights, law, ethics, and religious imperatives.

Gallup survey report

Quote:
Conventional wisdom says that Muslims resent the freedom the West has to offer, and that this indicates there is an insurmountable cultural chasm between Western and Muslim societies.
However, Gallup data suggest that there are many similarities between Muslims and Americans that transcend culture, tradition, and religion. Strikingly, citizens of predominantly Muslim countries and Americans, for example, are critical of "moral and ethical corruption" and excessive personal freedom.

And not only does the survey find many common points between Americans and citizens of Muslim countries when it comes to what we would call "secular values". No. There's also an amazing similarity in matters pertaining to religion.

For example, there's a larger gap between Brits and Americans than between Americans and 12 Muslim countries regarding the importance of religion in daily life:

http://i34.tinypic.com/dea13s.gif

Note: this was a survey in 12 predominantly Muslim countries, which, in turn, represent more than 80% of the global Muslim population.

And there's more:

Quote:
Gallup surveys also paint a picture of Muslims as people who value faith, family, and a bright future. In this way they are not dissimilar to Americans. Gallup polling suggests that, on some issues, Americans' views are closer to those of Muslims than Western Europeans. For example, a question measuring the purposefulness of life reveals a surprising pattern: 94% of Americans believe their lives have an important purpose. This compares with only 68% of French citizens and 69% in the Netherlands. On the other hand, 96% of Indonesians express this sentiment, as do 91% of Saudi Arabians.

Another question measuring optimism produced similar results. When asked if they feel enthusiastic about their future, 86% of Americans answer in the affirmative, compared with only 69% of French citizens and a surprising 36% of Polish respondents. In contrast, 89% of Saudis and 84% of Jordanians agree.

The inner happiness among Muslims could be based in a strong faith and emphasis on maintaining a deep spiritual life. According to polls in 2001 and again in 2005 and 2006, Muslims in many of the countries surveyed rate "having an enriched religious spiritual life" as something they cannot live without. What's more, when asked what they admire most about the Muslim world, Muslim populations' No. 1 response is "people's sincere adherence to Islam." In many countries, majorities say religion is an important part of their daily lives.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 01:26 pm
And regarding the implication that Muslims are "people with different values, different sense of right and wrong, different sense of human rights, law, ethics, and religious imperatives" - there's some info on that topic, too.

Look at how the following questions where answered:

http://i35.tinypic.com/2466dxt.gif

(source)

Quote:
Support is also strong in most nations for freedom of religion and freedom of assembly.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 07:02 pm
foxfire wrote :

Quote:
What if your own environment there in Canada was being encroached on by people with different values, different sense of right and wrong, different sense of human rights, law, ethics, and religious imperatives? Would you think that not unusual? As these different things were gradualy, incrementally, bit by bit being forced upon the whole, would you not personally seek to resist it?

we've lived in canada for only 52 years - and even in that short period of time many attitudinal changes have taken place .
there was quite a bit of animosity between catholics and protestants at that time . it was well known what companies would hire catholics or protestants . the question of "religion" was even on the employment application . i'm glad that's changed .

i still remember telling our nice old lady neighbour - she was a nice catholic lady - that there was a parade in town . i couldn't understand why she swore at me .
it was the "orange men's" parade !
i had no idea of the difference between the catholics and other "christians" .

we now have many muslim professors teaching at our university . we have a mosque in our city - and while some of the (older) people are still having some difficulty accepting all these changes , the changes are taking place - for which i'm glad .

"native" canadians were not permitted to buy alcohol - they were on the "indian list" in the liquor store !

as "newcomers" we may have noticed both the existing differences and the changes taking place more than those canadians that were 3rd or 4th generation canadians .

to us it is quite understandable that changes are taking place .
i am NOT saying that we personally like every last one of these changes , but we are accepting them because we believe that those changes "in total" are positive changes .

if we are not able to accept any changes to our country , we would eventually become inbred - and we don't think that's a good idea .

(btw you may have overlooked that i also pointed out that the coming of the "western" races to north-america profoundly changed the lives of the native people - often with disastrous results . are we all going to go back to where we - or our ancestors - came from ?) .
hbg
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 07:03 pm
old europe wrote:

And not only does the survey find many common points between Americans and citizens of Muslim countries when it comes to what we would call "secular values". No. There's also an amazing similarity in matters pertaining to religion.

Let us go one better than your statistics. Judaism and Islam both subscribe to a Kosher meat concept (Hallal in Islam). Both circumcise males. Both consider marriage a "contract," not a sacrament. Both have ritualistic daily prayer for men. Both consider themselves Abrahamic faiths, stemming from Abraham. Even Hebrew and Arabic are similar languages for many words. Hey, they both even do not consider Jesus the Messiah.

Well, any day now Israel will just have all these new neighbor friends to embrace, I guess.

I believe my point is that not all similarities have significance.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 07:15 pm
hamburger wrote:

we've lived in canada for only 52 years - and even in that short period of time many attitudinal changes have taken place .
there was quite a bit of animosity between catholics and protestants at that time . it was well known what companies would hire catholics or protestants . the question of "religion" was even on the employment application . i'm glad that's changed .

i still remember telling our nice old lady neighbour - she was a nice catholic lady - that there was a parade in town . i couldn't understand why she swore at me .
it was the "orange men's" parade !
i had no idea of the difference between the catholics and other "christians" .

we now have many muslim professors teaching at our university . we have a mosque in our city - and while some of the (older) people are still having some difficulty accepting all these changes , the changes are taking place - for which i'm glad .

"native" canadians were not permitted to buy alcohol - they were on the "indian list" in the liquor store !

as "newcomers" we may have noticed both the existing differences and the changes taking place more than those canadians that were 3rd or 4th generation canadians .

to us it is quite understandable that changes are taking place .
i am NOT saying that we personally like every last one of these changes , but we are accepting them because we believe that those changes "in total" are positive changes .

if we are not able to accept any changes to our country , we would eventually become inbred - and we don't think that's a good idea .

(btw you may have overlooked that i also pointed out that the coming of the "western" races to north-america profoundly changed the lives of the native people - often with disastrous results . are we all going to go back to where we - or our ancestors - came from ?) .
hbg

What a touching story. I wiped a tear away from one eye. You echo the Statue of Liberty in New York harbor, in my opinion. However, the Statue of Liberty was welcoming all those masses to the U.S. to become Amercians, not make it some other country.

If you welcome change, in my opinion, you get an "A+" on the fictional Chameleon Aptitude Quotient; however, there are Americans (for example) that have every ethical right to value certain values, that today are considered American, and want to maintain those values within the context of an American culture.

Now if a gaggle of beavers took over your neighborhood will you chip in and help them build a dam?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 11:20 pm
I'm thinking Foofie is somebody I would enormously enjoy sharing a chicken sandwich with. We aren't very compatible politically, but I do appreciate her clarity of vision and basic common sense.

Hubby and I watched the old movie classic "Giant" again tonight. The most persistent theme in the movie was cultural change, and I felt the pangs of discomfort and anger again when the beautiful young woman of Mexican descent was refused service in the beauty shop and a pleasant family of obvious Mexican descent refused service in a restaurant in what was portrayed as West Texas in the late 40's or early 50's. I grew up in "little Texas" in SE New Mexico and it was very much like that in the 40's and 50's. Good people with ingrained unreasonable prejudices. My father had to accompany my Italian brother-in-law to be to the barber shop before the wedding. Otherwise he would have been mistaken for what was inelegantly referred to as a 'wetback' and refused service.

Now most of the business owners in that area are of Mexican descent and no longer discriminated against by anybody. That dark skinned brother-in-law went on to become a championship winning football coach and superintendent of schools. That was all change that was badly needed and yes, was resisted by some, but it was an enrichment of the existing culture; not a replacement of the existing culture. The changes fixed most of the bad stuff while all the good stuff was retained.

So Hamburger, Foofie makes an excellent observation. Immigrants and people who are 'different' who come to your country to become a productive and peaceful citizen of that country and assimilate into the existing culture will change it yes, but they will change it by enriching it, not making it something entirely different than it was before.

That is something quite different than what is being addressed in this thread.

So again, would you just accept a group seeking majority status if that majority status would mean a wholly different culture would replace what you now have? A culture less tolerant, less atuned to human rights, less agreeable to religious freedom, and less willing to allow the people to live their lives and govern themselves unmolested? Would you accept that as inevitable or even positive change? Or would you try to resist that?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 04:58 am
Foxfyre wrote:
So again, would you just accept a group seeking majority status if that majority status would mean a wholly different culture would replace what you now have? A culture less tolerant, less atuned to human rights, less agreeable to religious freedom, and less willing to allow the people to live their lives and govern themselves unmolested? Would you accept that as inevitable or even positive change? Or would you try to resist that?

How, exactly, do you "seek majority status"?

Why do you think that Muslims are less tolerant than other people?
Why do you think that Muslims are less attuned to human rights than other people?
Why do you think that Muslims are less agreeable to religious freedom than other people?
Why do you think that Muslims are less willing to allow others to live their lives than other people?
Why do you think that Muslims are less willing to allow others to govern themselves unmolested than other people?

That's a whole lot of accusations.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 05:11 am
old europe wrote:

How, exactly, do you "seek majority status"?

I wonder exactly about this. Is it a Muslim MP-candidate for instance? A Muslim judge?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 08:24 am
old europe wrote:

Why do you think that Muslims are less tolerant than other people?
Why do you think that Muslims are less attuned to human rights than other people?
Why do you think that Muslims are less agreeable to religious freedom than other people?
Why do you think that Muslims are less willing to allow others to live their lives than other people?
Why do you think that Muslims are less willing to allow others to govern themselves unmolested than other people?

Being from a secular Jewish background, I am aware that there is a fairly separate group of Jews that refer to themselves as Sephardic, that trace their heritage to the Jews that were banished from Spain with its Inquisition. They went mostly to Mediterranean countries and also Middle Eastern countries. In the Middle Eastern countries they lived quite comfortably, oftentimes as entrepreneurs, but were considered second class citizens, I have been told. Not that living in Christian Europe was a picnic, but Islamic countries have a reputation, in my opinion, for putting non-Muslims in a lower status, as Christian Europe did pre-Enlightenment to non-Christians.

After the 1957 Israeli Arab war there must have been a reason all these Sephardic Jews were accepting to be "sent" to Israel, even though they had a long history of living in Arab countries?

Even in the Moorish (Islamic) Golden Age of Spain, Spanish Jews could rise to be advisers and doctors to the leaders; however, they were not considered first class citizens, as I have heard. Why? That is really a non-sequitor; what is important is that it seems to be a consistent historical pattern from the perspective of non-Muslims.

But, to be candid, Jews have had a few millenia to learn how to live as a minority in non-Jewish nations. They have had time to work out all the kinks in accepting a real or unofficial second class citizenship in a country. I do not think either Islam or Christianity have that learning curve experience in their respective histories. While there are minority Islamic or Christian communities in the world, these two faiths also have a history of enjoying the status of being a majority in quite a few countries. So, the two faiths could have an inherent tendency to jockey for top dog position around the world, not to mention the fairly recent history of India and Pakistan? But this is just my opinion.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 08:39 am
Quote:

Even in the Moorish (Islamic) Golden Age of Spain, Spanish Jews could rise to be advisers and doctors to the leaders; however, they were not considered first class citizens, as I have heard. Why? That is really a non-sequitor; what is important is that it seems to be a consistent historical pattern from the perspective of non-Muslims.

Compare the way the Spanish Jews were treated by the Moors with how Jews were treated in Christian countries at the same time.

Hint: The Moors were the good guys.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 08:44 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Quote:

Compare the way the Spanish Jews were treated by the Moors with how Jews were treated in Christian countries at the same time.

Hint: The Moors were the good guys.

I understand your point; however, I put it in context of it having been during the Golden Age of Spain, so the Moors could not have had any resentment towards a Christian Europe that was more advanced. Perhaps, there is some factor today, due to the modernity in the Christian world, that leads to a degree of "circling the wagons" in Muslim lands?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 08:52 am
Have you heard of the Spanish Inquisition?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 08:52 am
Foofie wrote:
I understand your point; however, I put it in context of it having been during the Golden Age of Spain, so the Moors could not have had any resentment towards a Christian Europe that was more advanced.

Of course, one reason might be that Christian Europe was not actually seen as being "more advanced"...
0 Replies