AND SO IT BEGINS? SHARIA LAW IN BRITAIN?

old europe

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 12:47 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Oh, and after comparing the reality of human rights granted to the citizenry of Indonesia and Turkey as compared to that enjoyed by the USA or the UK or other western nations, perhaps you would like to make a case that the wealth/opportunities/prosperity of the average Indonesian or Turk is comparable to the average citizen of the USA or the UK or other western nations?

I would like to. However, as you based the discussion on a false premise, I found it necessary to address the basis first before going off on a hypothetical situation somewhere in the future, where we would be faced with a predominantly Muslim Britain.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 12:55 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Some of the illustrations posted above, however, show how a nation's constitution and/or official policy can be trumped by demands of Islamic fundamentalists if such fundamentalists have sufficient clout.

An astute observation. However, right there we are leaving the territory of mainstream Islam and entering fundamentalist country. We can certainly agree that in a situation where fundamentalists of any kind of religious belief suddenly are able to exert enough influence and project enough power, their extremist religious agenda might be able to trump a nation's constitution and/or official policy. Setanta's earlier example about the Christian Orthodox Serbs illustrated that nicely.

Foxfyre wrote:
Certainly the laws of a country controlled by Islamic fundamentals are far more likely to lack accommodation for human rights than do the laws of the UK and most other developed western countries.

Yes, that's certainly the case. Also, most certainly do the laws of a country controlled by Christian fundamentals far more likely lack accommodation for human rights than do the laws of the UK and most other developed western countries.

On the other hand is it far more likely that the laws of a country controlled by secular Muslims easily allow for the accommodation of human rights - just as much as the laws of the UK and most other developed western countries do.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 12:57 pm
In case you don't know, OE, the issue of headscarves IS based on Sharia law. That the ban would be imposed or lifted purely addresses issues of Sharia law. I suppose the fact that the Parliament was accommodating Sharia law is immaterial in that example? Even as you single that one example out and ignore all the other examples. Even as you cannot show that my statement re imposition of some or all of Sharia law is incorrect but you suggest I am ignorant?

And then perhaps you might like to offer a rationale for WHY such could never happen in the UK? Or any other developed country in the west? Especially since the thread starter involved British accommodation of demands from Islamic fundamentalists WITHOUT there being a Muslim majority?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 01:08 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
In case you don't know, OE, the issue of headscarves IS based on Sharia law. That the ban would be imposed or lifted purely addresses issues of Sharia law. I suppose the fact that the Parliament was accommodating Sharia law is immaterial in that example?

Exactly. The issue of headscarves is based on Sharia law. That the Turkish government will not tolerate headscarves in public buildings factually equals a ban of Sharia law in all matter pertaining to government actions. It is, in fact, the exact opposite of "the Parliament was accommodating Sharia law", and illustrates nicely the secular character of Turkey.

Remind me: what point do you think you were making?

Foxfyre wrote:
Even as you single that one example out and ignore all the other examples. Even as you cannot show that my statement re imposition of some or all of Sharia law is incorrect but you suggest I am ignorant?

Give me one example where Turkey implemented one single article of Sharia law, and I might change my mind.

I'm fairly sure that you won't be able to do so. And that's not just because you have no clue about the secular nature of the Turkish government. Yes, I suggest that you are ignorant on this issue.

Foxfyre wrote:
If you are so damn sure I am the ignorant one, then make your case that the examples I used--these are a very few of many MANY examples that could be cited--are wrong. Until you do that or retract your remarks, I will choose to discuss this with people interested in actually discussing the subject instead of trying to discredit Foxfyre.

I don't need to. As I said, I have no problem acknowledging that some countries have, to a varying degree, implemented religious laws into their constitutions. Some countries have entirely or largely secular constitutions, others have parallel systems, others are largely or entirely based on Sharia law. (I'm probably repeating myself here.)

That still in stark contrast with your initial statement here

Foxfyre wrote:
In most, perhaps all, predominantly Islamic countries, however, all citizens, Muslim or not, are required to observe some or all of Sharia law.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 01:12 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
And then perhaps you might like to offer a rationale for WHY such could never happen in the UK? Or any other developed country in the west? Especially since the thread starter involved British accommodation of demands from Islamic fundamentalists WITHOUT there being a Muslim majority?

SHARIA LAW IN BRITAIN? is (part of) the title of this thread.
And some journalists interpreted Lord Phillips how they liked to it and not according to what he actually sais (and what had been later confirmed by the PM).

There is neither a Catholic nor a Jewish majority in the UK - but both Jewish law as well as Canon Law can be chosen in certain civil cases.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 01:27 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

SHARIA LAW IN BRITAIN? is (part of) the title of this thread.
And some journalists interpreted Lord Phillips how they liked to it and not according to what he actually sais (and what had been later confirmed by the PM).

There is neither a Catholic nor a Jewish majority in the UK - but both Jewish law as well as Canon Law can be chosen in certain civil cases.

Yes I already commented on that Walter, but that wasn't my point. But I'll just refer you to my earlier comments for that.

Apparently everybody seems to want to nitpick semantics and intent and nobody is actually wanting to discuss the questions or issues that interested me today, so I'll move on for now.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 06:44 pm
I think an important point is being left out of the discussion. The group with the highest birthrate usually wins in the end. This is the fear in Israel; that the Arab birthrate will make Israel being a "Jewish Homeland" a non-sequitor in time, since the Arabs have more children than the majority of Israelis. Only the extremely Orthodox have many children, and they might be very visible, but they are not the majority.

So, in my opinion, in time Britiain can become a nation with enough Muslims so that the non-Muslims become the "guests" in the country. I do not believe there are examples of this in history, since radical changes to a country usually came after being conquered/invaded. The concept of being out-birthed may be a new and untried approach, but I believe it can be done. Normally, the "brake" on this is getting the high birthing group to accept a middle-class life style that requires more money for each child to live middle-class, and getting women to join the workforce. Middle-class consumerism is a good birth control measure.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 11:05 pm
Setanta wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
The argument on this thread seems to center, however, on the rather juvenile position of "Well, you think Muslims are so bad, just look at what Christians have done!"

Bullshit, you're the only one here who is presenting arguments as puerile as that.

Bullshit yourself - you are.

The basis for Fox's earlier attempt at argument in this thread was that Islam is essentially evil, and a threat to civilization and good governance wherever it appears. Specifically, Fox attempted to claim that Muslims do not speak out against terrorist violence. Old Europe has shot that claim all to hell.

The point of speaking about extremist Christian violence (or Hindu violence, or the violence of one set of Buddhists against another set off Buddhists in Sri Lanka) is to point out that no religion has clean skirts when it comes to bloody violence.

And yet you didn't argue the violent tendencies of Buddhisim or Hinduism. Convenient to take that position now but it found no place in your prior postings.

The point is not to say that Christianity is "as bad" as Islam, it's to point out that no religious confession can claim the moral high ground as regards murderous violence, that the members of no religious confession should automatically be demonized, or sanctified.

Well then that is the point you should have made instead of "Christianity is as bad as Islam."

You're just whining because you can't come up with a plausible argument in defense of yet another idiotic thread by Fox.

Yeah, that must be it. Rolling Eyes

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 11:11 pm
Setanta wrote:
It is more than a little hilarious to see Finn writing: "It is as idiotic to assert that Islam is an evil religion as it is to so accuse Christianity."--while he continues to try to assert that Old Europe has not been able to demonstrate that Muslims condemn terrorists violence.

Not surprising that you are so easily amused. Sort of like a cretin playing with his feces.

Is it really necessary to point out to you that asserting that Muslims are not condemning terrorist violence is not the equivalent of asserting Islam is evil?

I guess so.

I guess that's the shotgun approach to rhetorical exchange. Scatter all sorts of silly arguments over the topic, in the hope that one of them will stick.

If it is idiotic to assert that Islam is an evil religion, it will be equally idiotic to argue that there is no plausible evidence that any significant number of leaders of Islam speak out against extremist violence.

Finn seems rather "conflicted" as they say these days--he wants to support Fox's dimwitted argument that Muslims don't condemn extremist violence, at the same time as he wishes to sound reasonable and sage in his estimation of the relative moral value of religious confessions. Maybe he just wants to keep his cake, and eat it, too.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 12:02 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
The religiously political equivalent of an obscure monastic order in Scotland rendering a judgment on a certain Christian behavior.

Is this the relevance you assign to all fatwas, or just the ones that go against your accepted view of Islam?

Did you not read my entire post or did you just choose to select from it a line that would fit what you felt was a clever retort? For if you read just one line beyond the one you quoted, you would have found:

"Not to be dismissed, but to be applauded and encouraged, and yet as evidence that Islam is self-regulating? Please."

Yep, I read it all, and my question remains.

Then I am having a hard time understanding your question, as it, forgive me, seems pretty silly.

It seems that you have inferred that because I do not find a fatwa by an Islamic group in India to be terribly influential in the greater Islamic world, that the substance of the fatwa is contrary to my "accepted view of Islam"

In fact the substance of this particular fatwa is in keeping with my understanding of the teachings of Islam. That I believe it will have little impact on the current practice of Islam throughout the world speaks more to my assessment of modern muslims than of the tenets of Islam.

In general, modern muslims are as ignorant as 13th century christians, and this is the point I have been arguing.

This says nothing about Islam or Christianity as religions.

It says everything about the progress towards modernity the followers of each religion, in general, have made.

There is a reason that Islam is a dangerous agent in today's geo-politics and it is no more because of the teachings of Mohammed than the Inquisition was due to the teachings of Christ.

It is simply foolish to assert that, currently, the negative impact of actions claimed to be based on the Islamic faith are equivalent to the negative impact of actions claimed to be based on the Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, Shinto, Taoist et al faiths.

Every faith can be co-opted by extremists and most have.

Take a clear look around the world right now and tell me which faith is most subject to this poison.

Christianity?

Hinduism?

Judaism?

Taoism?

Clearly it is Islam, and trying to draw some idiotic notions of equivalence between modern day Christianity and modern day Islam serves no point other than the self-loathing motivated desire to run down Western Civilization.

We can speculate how the modern Christian world would respond to Christian terrorists duplicating the frequency and severity of Islamic terrorist attacks, but I think it's fairly safe to assume we would see hundreds of thousands of people marching in protest in Washington, New York, Berlin, Paris, Madrid, Rome, Dublin, Sydney, London, Prague, Buenos Aires, and Brazilia (to name but a few.)

Do we see anything even approaching a meagre duplication of such speculated events in Damascus, Baghdad, Mecca, Medina, Jakarta, Ankara, Cairo, Amman, Islamabad, Abuja, Tehran, Rabat, Khartoum, Kuala Lampur, Niamey, Dakar, Mogadishu, Tirana, Beirut, Tripoli, Nouakchott et al. ?

Nope.

So spare me the nonsensical arguments of religious tolerance, especially when you advance the notion of religion (of any sort - and particulary the Western variety) as a historical bad actor.

Like it or not, Islam reigns supreme in nations that are notable for the level of ignorance of their people. This is a real problem when bizarre, uneducated and rustic interpretations of a religion's teachings supplant its orthodoxy.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 08:38 am
Well said Finn. To acknowledge wrong and evil in a segment of any society is not an indictment of that society, and our distant past is interesting and perhaps instructive in explaining who we all are now. But who we are now cannot be accurately judged by who our ancesters once were.

Further, a pedophile priest is not an indictment of the Roman Catholic Church; however, the Church itself comes under criticism if it does not condemn such an abomination and extract it from its midst. And if Catholics themselves turned a blind eye to the problem and refused to speak out against it, would they not be seen as either a) afraid or b) tolerant or c) complicit?

Corruption discovered within any religious group is not an indictment of the entire group. Enron was not an indictment of all corporate America. A corrupt congressman or mayor is not an indictment of an entire political party. It becomes an indictment only when the larger group tolerates and/or protects and/or defends and/or makes excuses for the corruption within it.

My interest in this thread topic, however, is the risk of one people losing their basic culture via encroachment of another people into it. And if such encroachment should be say people committed to Sharia law, should that be considered normal and acceptable with no expectation of negative consequences? Is there no room for concern?

I would like for there to be an intelligent discussion about that. So far the focus has been mostly on demonizing the one introducing the subject and asking the question.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 08:51 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
The religiously political equivalent of an obscure monastic order in Scotland rendering a judgment on a certain Christian behavior.

Is this the relevance you assign to all fatwas, or just the ones that go against your accepted view of Islam?

Did you not read my entire post or did you just choose to select from it a line that would fit what you felt was a clever retort? For if you read just one line beyond the one you quoted, you would have found:

"Not to be dismissed, but to be applauded and encouraged, and yet as evidence that Islam is self-regulating? Please."

Yep, I read it all, and my question remains.

Then I am having a hard time understanding your question, as it, forgive me, seems pretty silly.

It seems that you have inferred that because I do not find a fatwa by an Islamic group in India to be terribly influential in the greater Islamic world, that the substance of the fatwa is contrary to my "accepted view of Islam"

In fact the substance of this particular fatwa is in keeping with my understanding of the teachings of Islam. That I believe it will have little impact on the current practice of Islam throughout the world speaks more to my assessment of modern muslims than of the tenets of Islam.

In general, modern muslims are as ignorant as 13th century christians, and this is the point I have been arguing.

This says nothing about Islam or Christianity as religions.

It says everything about the progress towards modernity the followers of each religion, in general, have made.

There is a reason that Islam is a dangerous agent in today's geo-politics and it is no more because of the teachings of Mohammed than the Inquisition was due to the teachings of Christ.

It is simply foolish to assert that, currently, the negative impact of actions claimed to be based on the Islamic faith are equivalent to the negative impact of actions claimed to be based on the Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, Shinto, Taoist et al faiths.

Every faith can be co-opted by extremists and most have.

Take a clear look around the world right now and tell me which faith is most subject to this poison.

Christianity?

Hinduism?

Judaism?

Taoism?

Clearly it is Islam, and trying to draw some idiotic notions of equivalence between modern day Christianity and modern day Islam serves no point other than the self-loathing motivated desire to run down Western Civilization.

We can speculate how the modern Christian world would respond to Christian terrorists duplicating the frequency and severity of Islamic terrorist attacks, but I think it's fairly safe to assume we would see hundreds of thousands of people marching in protest in Washington, New York, Berlin, Paris, Madrid, Rome, Dublin, Sydney, London, Prague, Buenos Aires, and Brazilia (to name but a few.)

Do we see anything even approaching a meagre duplication of such speculated events in Damascus, Baghdad, Mecca, Medina, Jakarta, Ankara, Cairo, Amman, Islamabad, Abuja, Tehran, Rabat, Khartoum, Kuala Lampur, Niamey, Dakar, Mogadishu, Tirana, Beirut, Tripoli, Nouakchott et al. ?

Nope.

So spare me the nonsensical arguments of religious tolerance, especially when you advance the notion of religion (of any sort - and particulary the Western variety) as a historical bad actor.

Like it or not, Islam reigns supreme in nations that are notable for the level of ignorance of their people. This is a real problem when bizarre, uneducated and rustic interpretations of a religion's teachings supplant its orthodoxy.

In many words, you once again avoided to answer the original question.

Let's see. The madrassa in question is the second largest in the world (only the Al-Azhar University in Cairo is comparable). 20,000 scholars and clerics meet there. They issue a declaration. A bit later, they organise another large conference. 15,000 Muslims attend. They issue a fatwa.

Now, if the declaration and the fatwa had been to kill Americans because they are evil, would your verdict on the importance of such a fatwa have been the same as on the one that was actually issued - a fatwa on terrorism? Would you have said, "oh, well, not that important, ya know, it's just the religiously political equivalent of an obscure monastic order in Scotland rendering a judgment on a certain Christian behavior"?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 08:51 am
Foxfyre wrote:
My interest in this thread topic, however, is the risk of one people losing their basic culture via encroachment of another people into it. And if such encroachment should be say people committed to Sharia law, should that be considered normal and acceptable with no expectation of negative consequences? Is there no room for concern?

I would like for there to be an intelligent discussion about that. So far the focus has been mostly on demonizing the one introducing the subject and asking the question.

Well, I offered some links to the English and Welsh Law as well as quotations by the Lord Chief Justice for England and Wales.
Again: he said that said that Islamic legal principles could be employed to deal with family and marital arguments and to regulate finance, that such had been done so before and that the English and Welsh Law is above all.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 09:31 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Well, I offered some links to the English and Welsh Law as well as quotations by the Lord Chief Justice for England and Wales.
Again: he said that said that Islamic legal principles could be employed to deal with family and marital arguments and to regulate finance, that such had been done so before and that the English and Welsh Law is above all.

Yes you did that. But that does not address the larger question. To be blunt, the question is: If the Muslim population in the UK eventually outnumbers the original Brits there, how will this impact the uniquely British culture? Will we lose it? How would that impact the existing British law. Would that be replaced with something more compatible or accommodating to Sharia law?

And if the uniquely British culture is overcome and goes away, is that a bad thing? Most of us so far have agreed that we really sort of like having the Brits around and like the idea that there will always be an England and all that.

How likely is it that the Muslims, should they become the majority in the UK, would leave existing UK law intact? If they used their majority status to change the UK law into something more compatible with Sharia law--there is NO Islamic nation anywhere that protects human rights to the extent of existing UK law--would that be regarded as a good thing or bad thing by most of the world?

Remember that these things don't usually happen over night. They happen in little increments, bit by bit, until what was is changed into something else. Some here would say the notion is too ludicrous to take seriously. I have talked with Brits who are not so sure about that.

I wish some of our resident Brits here would chime in though. I think they might be helpful to the discussion.

I can accept 'no' as an answer to my questions. I do think it reasonable to ask the questions, however.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 09:34 am
What is "the uniquely British culture" in your opinion?

How is this "uniquely culture" reflected NOW in the English and Welsh, the Scottish and the Norther Irish Law?

And why do you insist that their is a "British Law" when there has never been one at all?

Foxfyre wrote:
I wish some of our resident Brits here would chime in though. I think they might be helpful to the discussion.

That's certainly would be good. My knowledge about Scottish Law is limited to exchanges with my friend (vice-dean of a Scottish law faculty and publisher of some Scottish Law Magazines) as well as from what I remember from my courses in English and Welsh Law.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 09:42 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
What is "the uniquely British culture" in your opinion?

How is this "uniquely culture" reflected NOW in the English and Welsh, the Scottish and the Norther Irish Law?

And why do you insist that their is a "British Law" when there has never been one at all?

Did I say British law? Surely you are not saying that there are no laws currently existing in the UK. No laws by which the people govern themselves? No laws protecting human rights? No ability at all to levy taxes or provide services or promote the national defense?

As for the unique British culture, surely you jest. Who doesn't recognize a Scottish, Irish, or British accent when s/he hears one? Who isn't familiar with the ethnically identifiable cuisine, mannerism, sense of humor, manner of expression, sights and sounds all of which and more make up the unique culture of any place.

So again, the question is: how much of the existing laws and culture will likely be retained in the UK should Muslims become the majority there? And should we care?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 09:44 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Who isn't familiar with the ethnically identifiable cuisine

I'm with you on that count. I love curry.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 09:46 am
Lamb with mint sauce.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 09:52 am
Fish and chips.

(It seems that Italian food has replaced curry as Britain's favourite food, though.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 10:05 am
You should try The Curry Mile in Manchester.

(And I don't like fish 'n chips anymore since this unique British culture was changed: you rarely get chips wrapped in a newspaper nowadays, if at all [by law ?].)
0 Replies