AND SO IT BEGINS? SHARIA LAW IN BRITAIN?

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 06:44 pm
The Brits may not be as noted for their cuisine as are the French, but nevertheless they probably would not wish to give up their pork pie, black pudding, or a good brandy, all of which could be forbidden in some cultures.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 06:45 pm
You had answered.
Thanks
Rama
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 06:45 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
No, I did not other than in the context of an EXAMPLE of why a change in culture could be detrimental. Others attempted to make this a critique of me and my point of view--they almost always get it wrong when they do that--and still others wanted to make it a diatribe against Islam since that happens to be the group changing some of the culture in the UK which was the thread starter.

Setanta wrote:
I don't see you worried about how the people of the West Indian islands threaten the culture of England. I don't see you worried about how the huge south Asian population of England threatens the culture of England.

I would note that the West Indian islanders and the south Asians--which is to say the Indians--have been around the United Kingdom in significant numbers for several generations now. No one on the right seemed to worry about this until there was a significant Muslim minority in the UK, and their bear-leaders whipped up a frenzy among them about the threat of Muslim fundmantalism.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 06:47 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
The Brits may not be as noted for their cuisine as are the French, but nevertheless they probably would not wish to give up their pork pie, black pudding, or a good brandy, all of which could be forbidden in some cultures.

The English have come to love a good curry, because their traditional cuisine sucks. French, Italian, Chinese, Thai and many other fine cuisines have done quite well there because of the lack of allure of pork pie and black pudding.

Brandy is neither an invention of nor a significant product of England (if it is actually produced there at all).
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 06:48 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

Having said that, my question remains and it can be answered without even considering any particular religious group. Do you value the best parts of the existing culture in which you live? Would you resist having that usurped mostly or in total by a competing culture that you would find less satisfactory? Should you resist that?

I believe the above quote was answering my involvement a few screens back. What I find poorly constructed, and I believe it was not meant to be, is the question, "Would you resist having that usurped..." What type of resistance is being implied? Since I think of myself as a law abiding citizen, I had to wonder whether this "resistance" could take on an illegal tone. So, it struck me as a poor way to address a question, which unknowingly, I believe, resulted in an innuendo on my character that anyone could even think of me as a less than law abiding citizen.

That being said, what is the purpose of such a line of questioning?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 06:48 pm
I don't see the blending of cultures anywhere as a problem until it becomes a problem. I had no clue there WAS a problem in the modern U.K. until a recent conversation with British acquaintances. Shortly afterward I ran across the article I used for a thread starter.

I think it is an interesting subject. Some, however, can seem to grasp what the subject is. Que sera sera.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 06:52 pm
Some people can't seem to be honest about what the subject is. The subject is your religious bigotry, whether or not you wish to admit it.

You continue to fail to address the point that Walter has made that sharia is not and never has been the law, nor a part of the law, in the United Kingdom. Walter provided a quote to that effect from a member of government.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 06:54 pm
I didn't have to admit it since I didn't have a clue, and it isn't relevant to the subject anyway. You'll note those question marks on the thread title? They are there for a reason.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 07:04 pm
I agree that you don't have a clue--but that does not change that your hysteria is centered around Muslims.

I consider you a religious bigot.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 07:09 pm
I'm sure you consider me much worse than that too, Setanta. You remind me of your opinion pretty much every chance you get without knowing anything about me. As I said, que sera sera.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 07:11 pm
Since one avatar is a dog, and another avatar is a cat, this thread is starting to resemble a child's educational cartoon, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 07:14 pm
You assume what opinion of you i hold without knowing anything about me. I expressly state what opinion i hold, and i give the reasons for it. I have done so in this thread.
0 Replies