(or was it mr. Cheney)

sorry to interrupt. Okster...

Embarrassed
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 09:19 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

Watergate, a cheap burglary into a campaign office, thats it. And we've been hearing about it for decades. I have a good understanding of it. I watched all the hearings day in and day out, with good ole Sam Ervin, I thought it was important then. It was important, but hardly what it has been played up to be. I have seen far more important corruptions go virtually unnoticed and uncared about.

Apparently you didn't understand it at all - it wasn't just the crime, it was the general attitude of lawlessness, the lies, and the failure of the Nixon administration to come clean when they were caught, that was the problem.

It was the same way with Clinton. He never should have lied about his affair. He should have just said 'yeah, I did it, no, I'm not proud of it, end of story.' It's always the coverup, Okie.

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 09:28 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I hate to keep having to bring this up, but evidence that Clinton used the IRS to harass and target his political enemies was ignored. That is a biggee. Evidence that he got campaign money from China for favors was ignored. That is a biggee. Evidence that he pardoned terrorists to help his wife get elected was ignored. That is a biggee. Evidence that he pardoned criminals that gave him money for his library. That is a biggee. The list is endless. At least Nixon did not sell out his own country, and pardon me, you seem to think Nixon was the first president to know about bugging devices against political enemies? Have you not read about Hoover in cahoots with other presidents? Have you not read about Martin Luther King being spied upon and his conversations illegally tapped? Many more examples if you cared to look into it, but I doubt you do, because it is poor Dick Nixon that everybody loved to hate.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 09:31 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

I hate to keep having to bring this up, but evidence that Clinton used the IRS to harass and target his political enemies was ignored. That is a biggee. Evidence that he got campaign money from China for favors was ignored. That is a biggee. Evidence that he pardoned terrorists to help his wife get elected was ignored. That is a biggee. Evidence that he pardoned criminals that gave him money for his library. That is a biggee. The list is endless. At least Nixon did not sell out his own country, and pardon me, you seem to think Nixon was the first president to know about bugging devices against political enemies? Have you not read about Hoover in cahoots with other presidents?

Damn, Okie, you still don't get it. No, I don't think that Nixon was the first OR the last president to break the law. But he kept denying and lying even when it was clear they had done it! That's the sure way to get your ass impeached and it's exactly what happened to him.

Watergate wasn't about a burglary, it was about an attitude - an attitude that the president is above the law. That is not allowable under our system.

Cycloptichorn
firefly

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 09:31 pm
@okie,
Don't you think it was significant that the Attorney General of the United States was convicted and imprisoned as a result of that "cheap burglary"? And that Nixon was named by the grand jury investigating Watergate as "an unindicted co-conspirator" in the Watergate scandal--and this led to his resigning as president.

Quote:
I have seen far more important corruptions go virtually unnoticed and uncared about.

Care to name one of the same magnitude? This one caused the president to resign his office.
okie

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 09:39 pm
@firefly,
I just named some. To be accurate about the record, I was not a fan of Richard Nixon, and never was even before he was elected. I just think some context should be provided. And another point of fact, it was the Republicans that advised him to quit. What does that mean? Country over Party. We've lost that. I have seen the Democratic Party circle the wagons aroung obvious corruption at the highest levels, and the media protecting them.

So bottom line, whenever I hear about Bob Woodward trying desperately to do something to equal his work with Watergate, I am compelled to bring a little context to the conversation. I would like to see more interest in balanced reporting and investigating. As an example, we still have Dan Rather and the case of trying to fraudulently alter a federal election, and to this day, nothing, absolutely nothing, no interest whatsoever to any investigative reporter. Just one example of many, and I pointed out several of the Clinton cases of corruption that spurred no interest from the liberal band of reporters in and around Washington.
nimh

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 09:41 pm
@slkshock7,
slkshock7 wrote:

Sorry you're wrong....375 votes for...and 156 against (from his link) of the leaders of this nation (both House and Senate).

Guess it depends on how you define "overwhelmingly," especially in the context of a discussion about how the Dems would have acted if the war had gone well from the start.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 09:43 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
It wasn't just the lying and denying with Nixon, he participated in the cover-up of a crime. Had he not not resigned (and then been pardoned by Ford), he would have been indicted and gone to jail. He was disbarred by the state of New York.

It wasn't just an attitude--it was actual criminal behavior he participated in.
firefly

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 09:58 pm
@okie,
okie, regarding Woodward--he has done a very remarkable series of 4 books on Bush's War, detailing what went on within the adminstration from 9/11 through the more recent events in Iraq. It was done with Bush's cooperation. Bush gave him interviews, and Woodward had incredible access to sources, who spoke to him on the record. Bush must have some faith in Woodward's objectivity as an investigative journalist, although he was apparently outraged about one of the books. In fact, some of Bush's defenders feel Woodward depicts Bush as a heroic president.

Would you believe John McCain on the subject?
Quote:
Yet it's a quote from McCain himself that most accurately captures what's going on. In the book Woodward recalls a conversation with McCain from 2001, months before 9/11, when the Arizona Senator summed up his opinions of Bush and his team pungently: "Everything's f*ing spin," he tells Woodward. How true, but then again, that was the old McCain.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 10:02 pm
@firefly,
I am not defending Nixon, I am merely placing his crime into context. It was basically a cheap wiretapping incident, not the first of its kind, but he happened to be the one they chose to catch. The point I am making is that there is an obvious double standard, and that there have been worse crimes since that have been totally ignored, with absolutely no interest shown on the part of the supposedly great investigative reporters in and around Washington, such as Bob Woodward.

I have pointed out several examples, but another one, we had obvious criminal behavior with Hillary Clinton making a hundred grand with a thousand dollar investment in cattle futures, but nobody cared, and to this day she was the hope of half of the Democratic Party. A Republican would have been drummed out of the running within days.

And by the way, isn't William Jeferson, of freezer money fame, still sitting in office drawing a paycheck from taxpayer funds?

Another example, the Clintons illegally using FBI files on their political enemies, don't you think that was a biggee? Thats called blackmail where I come from.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 10:25 pm
Wuh oh.

Quote:
09.09.08 -- 11:57PM // link | recommend (3)
Newsweek Burning Up the Trooper-Gate Case

The latest out of Trooper-gate.

Remember that Palin's Trooper-Gate scandal revolves around her apparent efforts to use her power as governor to have her ex-brother-in-law, an Alaska state trooper, fired from his job. The trooper, Michael Wooten, was in a long-lasting and bitter divorce and custody battle with Palin's sister. (Once the state Commissioner of Public Safety, Wooten's ultimate boss, wouldn't do the deed, she fired him.)

Now it comes out that before she even became governor -- and was in a position to abuse her power of office -- Palin had to be warned by the judge in the divorce case that her harassment of Wooten amounted to "a form of child abuse."

If her behavior was so abusive and over-the-line before she became governor (this was in 2005), can there really be much doubt she would have used all her power of office to get him fired?

--Josh Marshall

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/215229.php

Quote:

Court records obtained by NEWSWEEK show that during the course of divorce hearings three years ago, Judge John Suddock heard testimony from an official of the Alaska State Troopers' union about how Sarah Palin"then a private citizen"and members of her family, including her father and daughter, lodged up to a dozen complaints against Wooten with the state police. The union official told the judge that he had never before been asked to appear as a divorce-case witness, that the union believed family complaints against Wooten were "not job-related," and that Wooten was being "harassed" by Palin and other family members.

Court documents show that Judge Suddock was disturbed by the alleged attacks by Palin and her family members on Wooten's behavior and character. "Disparaging will not be tolerated"it is a form of child abuse," the judge told a settlement hearing in October 2005, according to typed notes of the proceedings. The judge added: "Relatives cannot disparage either. If occurs [sic] the parent needs to set boundaries for their relatives."

http://www.newsweek.com/id/158140

Wow. Palin was censured by a judge for overly harassing Wooten before she even becomes Governor; after she becomes gov, she works to get him fired; when his superior won't fire him, he himself gets fired. But no, she had nothing to do with pressuring that guy to get fired, nah. She is now resisting the investigation, once again b/c she has nothing to hide, yeah. Her office and others who were supposed to testify has clammed up and won't talk, yeah, b/c they've got nothing to hide either. This after promising to fully and completely comply with the investigation, because after all, she's got nothing to hide. Her actions are completely inconsistent with her rhetoric on this issue AND the history of the case.

Pull the other one, Republicans. Honestly.

More and more coming out...

Cycloptichorn
firefly

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 10:59 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Palin helps McCain with evangelicals, doesn't ensure their vote: analysts
2 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AFP) " The "Palin factor" may have boosted support for Republican presidential contender John McCain among evangelical Christians but he should not bank on the religious right putting him in the White House as it did George W. Bush in 2004, analysts said Tuesday.

White evangelical Christians were key in getting Bush elected to a second term in 2004, but the US political landscape has changed for this year's contest, analysts from the Pew Research think-tank told reporters at a forum in Washington.

For a start, fewer voters, including evangelicals, align themselves with the Republican party.

"Since about 2005 we have seen a sharp decline in the number of people calling themselves Republicans," Scott Keeter, director of survey research at the Washington-based Pew Research Center, told reporters.

"The Democratic Party has a bigger advantage among the public than they've had any time in our polling since 1992," he added.

The same slump is apparent, although not as dramatic, among white evangelicals, who voted massively for Bush in 2004.

"Evangelical voters have displayed a great deal of dissatisfaction with the current state of things, including the Republican Party," said John Greene, senior fellow at the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life.

And yet on Tuesday, it was the Democrats who appeared to be on the defensive as polls put McCain ahead of or tied with his Democratic rival for the presidency, Barack Obama.

"All the polls show a significant convention bounce for the Republicans ... and very high approval of Sarah Palin's selection as the vice presidential candidate," said Keeter.

Gallup had McCain at 49 percent and Obama at 44, noting a major shift by white women and independent voters to the Republican ticket thanks largely to the "Palin factor".

A poll by CNN and the Opinion Research Corporation had Obama at 49 percent and McCain at 48.

Another poll, by CBS, showed McCain doubling his support among evangelicals -- from 24 percent before he named the unknown conservative Alaska governor as his running mate to 48 percent afterwards, Keeter said.

"McCain achieved a doubling of support among a key voter group" by choosing Palin, "a strong evangelical woman", Keeter said.

But the post-convention bounce was unlikely to last.

"Some of what we are seeing now may be, if not ephemeral, subject to change with further events in the campaign," he said, without going into detail.

Greene pointed out that Palin was "relatively new, even to evangelicals, so it will be interesting to see how well she wears."

Another factor that could affect the religious vote was that mainstream Protestants have shifted to the Democratic Party this year -- 45 percent versus 43 percent four years ago.

An "extraordinarily low satisfaction" rate among Americans with the state of the US economy -- fewer than one in five are happy with the way the country is going -- has also knocked Republican popularity.

"In conditions like this, we typically don't see the incumbent party winning elections," Keeter said.

And moral issues, which are important to evangelicals and other conservatives, have lost traction: abortion was down eight points in importance among all voters since 2004, and gay marriage was down four points, according to Pew.

Also working against McCain is the rising number of Americans who say they are not affiliated to any religion.

That number has grown by four percent over the past 20 years, with young adults significantly more likely to say they are not linked to a particular faith.

In the primaries, young Democratic voters were far more enthusiastic and numerous than their Republican counterparts, and the religiously unaffiliated were a very important part of the Democrats' congressional victories in 2006, Keeter said.

But the religious group both parties should pay attention to is white, non-Hispanic Catholics.

"The white Catholic community is evenly divided between Obama and McCain -- quite a difference from 2004," when Bush won the majority of Catholic votes, said Green.

"There is a possibility that the Democrats might do better with white Catholics than in 2004 -- they are the quintessential swing-voting group," he said.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 06:37 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Uhhh cyclops, sounds like he should have been fired. I don't think this is a winning issue for you guys. Listen to Mike Gravel on this subject. He says the man should have been fired before he killed somebody, he was a danger:

firefly

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 07:43 am
@okie,
He's being unethical in saying, which he does, that she was right to try to get the guy fired, even if it involved abusing her powers. That simply means that both he Palin may share the same unethical viewpoint regarding abuse of power. That's some defense of Palin Rolling Eyes

Civilian review boards are the appropriate groups to investigate complaints, and to exert public pressure to remove unfit officers from the force, when the unions try to protect them. It is not the governor's job to try to get the man fired by putting pressure on another state employee. Did she also try to get other allegedly unfit troopers fired, or only her ex-brother-in-law? If it's only her brother-in-law, it does suggest she may have abused her powers to further her own personal interests.

On this issue I feel we should wait until there is a finding about whether or not she did abuse her powers. But Palin was clearly willing to be more cooperative with the investigation before she became the VP candidate. Why is she suddenly less cooperative? Doesn't she want this matter put to rest ASAP.

Unforunately, almost everything else Gravel says really reflects very negatively on McCain--so his comments don't really help their ticket.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 08:21 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

Uhhh cyclops, sounds like he should have been fired. I don't think this is a winning issue for you guys. Listen to Mike Gravel on this subject. He says the man should have been fired before he killed somebody, he was a danger:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpBXYcgXV8M[/youtube]

Wow, that's a great opinion you have there, Okie. Unfortunately, the cops are unionized, the trooper was investigated and punished for his actions, and the Palins' continued harassment was likely illegal. And the more evidence that pops up, the more it seems that she is a liar. Not to mention associated with a scummy campaign who runs reprehensible and sick ads, perverted ones.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 10:21 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote-

Quote:
Doesn't she want this matter put to rest ASAP.

You mean on Ignore I suppose.

What's the point in being loaded down with the heavy burdens of a Govenorship if you can't hire and fire who you want. Don't we choose our leaders as our best hope to have things run properly? To govern within a legal framework.

There are levels of ethics. Firing nannies is even lower on the scale than firing troopers.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 10:22 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

firefly wrote-

Quote:
Doesn't she want this matter put to rest ASAP.

You mean on Ignore I suppose.

What's the point in being loaded down with the heavy burdens of a Govenorship if you can't hire and fire who you want. Don't we choose our leaders as our best hope to have things run properly? To govern within a legal framework.

There are levels of ethics. Firing nannies is even lower on the scale than firing troopers.

The 'legal framework' does not allow the Governor to single out officers who she has a personal dispute with and fire them, Speni.

Cycloptichorn
spendius

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 10:31 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Do you mean that someone she has a personal dispute with automatically has job security. Many people have used that gambit.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 10:34 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Do you mean that someone she has a personal dispute with automatically has job security. Many people have used that gambit.

Well, if they aren't doing something that would require them to be fired, legally, then yes, they have the same job security that any other unionized member has, Spendi. Once again, that's the law. It doesn't matter that Palin disliked the guy. The guy who DID get fired explained that to Palin clearly.

Cycloptichorn
spendius

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 10:38 am
@Cycloptichorn,
You're just too innocent Cyclo. I trust not disingenuous.