A Vice Presidental candidate thread.

nimh

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 10:17 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

What about your brand of politics, nimh? A couple of days ago, the leftie blogs had Sarah Palin faking a pregnancy. I see that didn't work. Now what kind of uplifting stuff are you working on? I hope it makes you proud.

Hmmm - so if I point out things that your party's nominee for Vice President has done or said, you respond with things that are said on leftie blogs?

Do you seriously think the two can be equated?

There's all kinds of ranting and raving going on in the blogs, the lefty ones included, and I wouldnt have touched the alleged fake pregnancy story with a ten feet poll. But in the end nothing they say has any relevance for how to appraise the actual presidential ticket of the Democratic Party.

Palin, on the other hand, is on the Republican presidential ticket, so I would think that what she's said and done has a bit more relevance.
spendius

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 11:02 am
It's a bit odd that the polls show a rough split and A2K looks about 90/10.
nimh

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 11:58 am
@spendius,
Actually, the split on A2K is more like 70/30, judging on the straw polls I did twice this election season ... the polls have sadly disappeared with the transition to the new a2k, but both got something like 50 or 60 votes, breaking down about 2:1 between Dem and Rep candidates.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 12:21 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

What do you mean, going nuts?

I mean exactly what I said, they are going nuts. That is the ones that haven't been nuts for a long time already.

You really should read, okie, "The Conservative Voice for Alaskans" - "Voice of the Times": http://www.voiceofthetimes.net/ ...
spendius

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 12:32 pm
@nimh,
Well nimh- I'm going on what I run across. I was being conservative with 90/10. It's more like 95/5 where I post. Maybe I attract those types of lefties who want a share of fat-cat's salaries but who don't want to share with the world's poor. Dining room lefties I mean. Righteous hypocrites.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 12:34 pm
There's also a pronounced lean to the distaff side.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 01:08 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote: "I don't think that McCain's often bumbling, sometimes ill-informed, sometimes impulsive, manner fits it either. Taken together, they are not an impressive combo."

SO TRUE!

McCain has a bad temper, he's reactionary, he's punitive, and he holds grudges. For instance, McCain didn't like the tough questions that a CNN journalist asked his campaign spokesperson. McCain was infuriated that the journalist would not settle for the dance around and evade routine and continued to reach for a straight answer to a simple question. Reacting to the interview in an angry manner, McCain canceled his scheduled appearance on the Larry King show in order to punish CNN. McCain's "Straight Talk" campaign is a farce. We have yet to get any "straight talk" from this man. He's running a "Dance Around and Evade" the issues campaign. He punishes the free press when they call upon him to actually provide the "straight talk" that he promised. McCain is a tempermental egotist who is the enemy of our free press. (For those who watched "McCain Revealed," it is revealing that McCain held a grudge against a person who published an unflattering opinion of him--and boycotted this person's newspaper for 12 years!)

In a famous First Amendment case, New York Times Co. v. Sullivan, 376 U.S. 254 (1964), the Supreme Court stated that it considered the case "against the background of a profound national commitment to the principle that debate on public issues should be uninhibited, robust and wide-open, and that it may well include vehement, caustic and sometimes unpleasantly sharp attacks on government and public officials." Because reactionary McCain cannot tolerate public scrutiny or criticism without throwing a temper tantrum, he is UNFIT to lead this country. What is McCain going to do when North Korea or Russia makes him mad? Go to WAR?

"I hate to tell you, there will be more wars." --John McCain

spendius

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 01:19 pm
@Debra Law,
What was the tough question?
nimh

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 01:40 pm
@spendius,
"Can you just tell me one decision that she made as commander in chief of the Alaska National Guard. Just one."

No answer to that one -- just a lot of dodging and weaving. But for once, the woman on TV did not give up, and kept asking the question, turning the McCain spokesperson's non-answers into an exercise in embarassment.

Now the McCain campaign is threatening to retaliate against CNN...

Here's the video.
okie

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 01:41 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

You really should read, okie, "The Conservative Voice for Alaskans" - "Voice of the Times": http://www.voiceofthetimes.net/ ...

Hmmm, I agree Walter, interesting article with headline: "Arctic sea ice cover actually improving"
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 01:43 pm
@spendius,
CNN Transcript--Campbell Brown interviewing Tucker Bounds, McCain Campaign Spokesperson.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0809/01/ec.02.html

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

BROWN: Thanks so much for taking the time to join us tonight.

I just want to begin by asking what we have been discussing before you sat in the chair, Governor Palin sharing a very difficult personal story today, the news that her unmarried teenage daughter is pregnant, that she plans to have the baby, to marry the father.

Explain to us when John McCain first learned about this.

TUCKER BOUNDS, MCCAIN CAMPAIGN SPOKESMAN: Well, he learned about it during the vetting process, before his selection.

He did not consider it a disqualifier. Governor Palin has a long record of reforming Alaska, taking on the establishment for 13 years. She started out as a civic activist in the PTA, went to the city council, on to be the mayor of her small town, took on big oil as the -- on the oil and gas commission in Alaska, then to the governor's office, where she's made serious bipartisan reforms. That's the reason she was selected.

Certainly, her personal family matters never disqualified her from serving public office, serving a higher office in a cause greater than herself. That's John McCain's message. She fits it perfectly. And we're happy to have her.

BROWN: Tucker, though, this obviously, putting this young woman, Bristol Palin, smack in the media spotlight at what already has got to be a very challenging time in her life, I mean, how do you respond to people who wonder why her mother would have subjected her to this kind of scrutiny by accepting this high-profile position?

BOUNDS: Well, I think Governor Palin understands that these are serious times and we have serious challenges, and it's time to shake up Washington. That's the reason she was happy to take John McCain's invitation to go to Washington, make the changes that Americans need and Americans depend on. She's an expert on energy. She understands that we need an all the above energy approach that includes the alternatives and the renewable fuels.

BROWN: Right.

BOUNDS: This is an important decision. So I think that it's dangerous to confuse her civic decision to get involved, to make a difference in her country.

(CROSSTALK)

BROWN: No. But doesn't --

BOUNDS: It's a personal thing out of this.

BROWN: I understand that.

BOUNDS: Certainly there is a request for it to be private.

BROWN: I recognize that. But in an ideal world, it would be private. But you know, this is a presidential campaign and nothing is private.

The world is watching. And if we, you know, as much as everyone might want to give this young woman her privacy, you know that's not going to happen. And so, you do risk putting her through an incredibly difficult process by accepting this job if you're her mother. You can't deny that, right?

BOUNDS: Well, the Palin family had made clear in their statement that they were hoping and continue to hope that this will be a private family matter. That was their intention from the very beginning. Media inquiries and attention are going to happen in the campaign and they understand that. But it's important for us, as we have a conversation with voters about how we can change Washington, how we can move forward and take on the big challenges that Americans expect of their public officials...

BOUNDS: ... that we keep a private matter private among their family.

BOUNDS: Certainly all of us, certainly all of the members of the media would expect that of Americans and that's the way we're proceeding.

BROWN: Tucker, you know, foreign policy experience has been a huge issue in this campaign because you guys made it a big issue in this campaign...

BOUNDS: Yes.

BROWN: ... pointing out time and time again as you did that John McCain had far more experience than Barack Obama and that nothing in your view was more important in the campaign, than the ability to be commander-in-chief.

BROWN: So I don't have to tell you that there's a feeling out there by some that you're not holding your VP pick to your own standard -- the standard that you defined. So explain to us why you think Governor Palin is ready to be commander-in-chief.

BOUNDS: Governor Palin has the good fortune of being on the ticket with John McCain who, there is no question, is the most experienced and shown proven judgment on the international stage. She understands foreign affairs. He has a familiarity and has displayed (ph) it as possible.

(CROSSTALK)

BROWN: Well, we know all that about John McCain, Tucker. I asked you about her, though, because we all know the role of the VP, as John McCain has defined it, is to be able to step into the job of the presidency on day one if something should happen to the president. So I'm asking you about her foreign policy experience.

BOUNDS: And certainly -- yes, Campbell, certainly there are a number of people that are supporting Barack Obama's candidacy and feel like he's experienced enough to take on the Oval Office. Our feeling is that Governor Palin has...

(CROSSTALK)

BROWN: But you're not answering my question. BOUNDS: ... just as much experience as Barack Obama.

BROWN: OK. But you set a different standard.

BOUNDS: Just as much experience as the presidential candidate of our opponent.

BROWN: So does she -- you said it, what I'm saying is, that you set a different standard by arguing how important it was with John McCain. And no one is arguing with you that he has much more experience than Barack Obama. So I'm just trying to get someone from the campaign to explain to me what foreign policy experience she has or what qualifications she has that would allow her to be ready to be commander-in-chief if something should happen to Senator McCain.

BOUNDS: Well, Campbell, let me be clear, right?

BROWN: That's a fair question, isn't it?

BOUNDS: I don't think there should be any problem explaining her experience. She has executive state level experience. She's been in public office reforming Washington. She's been in executive office longer and in a more effective sense than Barack Obama has been in the United States Senate.

BROWN: So --

BOUNDS: She's been the commander of the National Guard of Alaska's National Guard, who's been deployed overseas.

BROWN: OK. OK, Tucker --

BOUNDS: That's foreign policy experience.

BROWN: All right. All right. Just give me --

BOUNDS: And I do want to mention that these are --

BROWN: Tucker, sorry, if I can interrupt for one second -- commander, because I've heard you guys say this a lot.

BROWN: Can you just tell me one decision that she made as commander-in-chief of the Alaska National Guard, just one.

BOUNDS: Yes. She has made -- any decision she has made as the commander of the National Guard that's deployed overseas is more of a decision than Barack Obama has been making as he's been running for president for the last two years.

BROWN: Tell me. Tell me what it is. Give me an example of one of those decisions. I'm just curious. Just one decision she made in her capacity as commander-in-chief of the National Guard.

BOUNDS: Campbell, certainly -- Campbell, certainly, you don't mean to belittle every experience, every judgment that she makes as commander of the National Guard.

BROWN: I'm belittling nothing. I just want to know one judgment or one decision. I would love to know what one decision was. I'm not belittling anything, Tucker, I'm really not. I just am curious.

BOUNDS: Yes. As she makes a decision as to how to equip, how to command the National Guard in Alaska, that is more to be curious and more of a judgment than Barack Obama's making on the campaign trail.

(CROSSTALK)

BROWN: But, Tucker, those are the Pentagon's decisions. That's General Petraeus, that's the White House.

BOUNDS: That's the White House.

BROWN: No governor --

BOUNDS: Pardon me?

BROWN: No governor makes decisions about how to equip or deploy the National Guard. You know, when they go to Iraq, that decision, as you well know, are made by the Pentagon?

BOUNDS: Actually, Campbell, they do. Campbell -- Campbell, on a factual basis, they certainly do.

In Alaska, if you have any sort of emergency as things are happening in your state, the National Guard is under the command of the governor. That is more of a command role than Barack Obama has ever had. I would argue that on our ticket, John McCain and Governor Palin, between the two of them have far more command experience in the military than either of the candidates on the Democratic side.

And I do want to argue, this is about the top of the ticket. Ultimately, when people go into the ballot box and decide between Barack Obama and John McCain, they're going to decide between John McCain's record of reforming Washington and Barack Obama's rhetoric on the campaign trail.

He doesn't have a lot of experience, certainly has no military experience, no command military experience, which both of our candidates have. That's an important distinction I think voters will make the right call in November.

BROWN: All right. Tucker, I'm going to just give it to you, baby. We'll end it there.

BOUNDS: Thank you, Campbell, I appreciate that.

BROWN: But I really -- I appreciate you coming on and taking the time to have this debate. I think it's important. People, you know, don't know a lot about her and they want to understand her qualifications as much as possible.

We're not beating you up here. We're not trying to. BOUNDS: Yes.

BROWN: We're just trying to educate ourselves and educate our viewers. So I really do appreciate your time and thank you for coming on.

(END VIDEOTAPE)
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 01:43 pm
@nimh,
Yeah, and I will be listening to what she says, not just isolated biased reports about what she has said. I have not come to a conclusion about her, but I prefer to listen to her, in context.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 01:45 pm
This had to have been posted already. My apologies if it has.

Quote:
Aides Say Team Interviewed Palin Late in the Process

By Dan Balz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, September 3, 2008; Page A01

ST. PAUL, Minn., Sept. 2 -- Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin was not subjected to a lengthy in-person background interview with the head of Sen. John McCain's vice presidential vetting team until last Wednesday in Arizona, the day before McCain asked her to be his running mate, and she did not disclose the fact that her 17-year-old daughter was pregnant until that meeting, two knowledgeable McCain officials acknowledged Tuesday.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/02/AR2008090203462.html?hpid=topnews

As one commentator says, "Who do you want as Commander In Chief? An intemperate flyboy, or a cautious thinker?"
Asherman

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 02:02 pm
Obama is to be congratulated for having more class, and being smarter than his army of left wing worshipers. Obama has called for his supporters to back off of the attacks and innuendos being slung around about Gov. Palin's personal life and family. That is absolutely the best strategy for his campaign, but for the Left that is the preferred strategy, and has been for the past eight years. Make outrageous assertions, and blow them up as "proof" that Republicans and conservatives are the arch-enemies of civilized society. A2K has always been a haven for the Left, and its a wonder that any conservatives or Republicans still bother to speak their views here.

The Palin candidacy has the Left flummoxed. She hasn't a long enough record to provide grist for the Left's usual targeting, so they have to focus instead on her daughter's sex life. Up until McCain chose Palin as a running mate, Obama's lack of record served him well for the same reason. The lack of experience and record makes the candidate's character of even greater importance than it would otherwise be. Both Palin and Obama tend to be associated with the ideological positions representing the activist base of their respective Parties. Obama tends to cater to the Left, and Palin can be expected to cater to the Right.

The real difference is in the offices they are vying for. If a candidate has little experience is it better that they be President, or Vice-President? One Office wields awesome power, while the other tends to be a political graveyard. Only in the event that McCain doesn't complete a full four years in Office would Palin step up into the Executive Chair. The odds of that happening are about 1 in 5. With men currently living beyond 85 years, there is no reason to suppose that McCain will suddenly die. It could happen.

In the meantime, the Left is expending a lot of its energy attacking a woman's private life and family. Personal attacks, if anything, will most likely in my opinion solidify support for Gov. Palin. If the Left attacks her lack of experience, then that only underscores the weakness at the head of their own ticket. Obama's best course of action is to treat Palin with great respect, and focus his attention on McCain. That just isn't the Democratic Way, or something that will satisfy the Left's hatred for anyone who disagrees with their views.

No one here is going to be persuaded by the opposition. I'm certain that Obama's supporters will vote for him, and I'm equally certain that those of a more conservative, middle-of-the-road bent will vote for McCain. The number of visitors who haven't made up their minds is probably near zero here.
spendius

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 02:14 pm
Thanks Debra and nimh.

I don't see anything to get worked up about in that. It's just entertainment. Something inexpensive to squeeze between the ads. No principals involved. Be forgotten tomorrow never mind November. I can't see anybody taking much notice of it. It's an insult to the viewer's intelligence in my eyes.

Who is to know whether experience will lead to better decisions?

Everybody has been saying Mrs Palin will be dumped off the ticket. Was that the voice of experience?

I don't think Mr Obama will be able to make good his promises on Iraq. Or, better, the impression he has tried to convey.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 02:16 pm
If McCain selects his VP on the basis of one face-to-face interview of a virtual unknown in the world of national politics, and from the great number of qualified candidates from the republican party, that's not only "maverick," but without much brain power. At this point in the republican convention, it seems the congregates are ready to name Palin as their presidential candidate - she's more qualified than McCain in both star-power and attraction.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 02:19 pm
@Asherman,
All agreed, Asherman. Excellent assessment.

On the family front, Levi, from outward appearances, looks like he has a chance to be a great guy. He is marrying the mother of his child, thats a good step in the right direction. Congratulations, Levi, and I wish you all the best, and you too, Bristol, and your unborn child.

http://www.foxnews.com/photoessay/photoessay_5017_images/0903081512_M_090308_McC06.jpg

Now that this campaign has been turned into the National Enquirer, I might as well comment.
spendius

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 02:24 pm
I've now read the Wiki entry for Ms Campbell Brown. It doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 02:29 pm
@Debra Law,
McCain's notorious temper is a troubling concern. As president, it may prevent advisors from being able to approach him or offer him contradictory information, and that can be disasterous. His impulsivity might affect his judgment. It apparently is something that bothers some military men...

Quote:
In interviews with Salon this week, several experienced military officers said McCain draws mixed reviews among military leaders, and they expressed serious doubts about whether McCain has the right temperament to be the next president and commander in chief. Some expressed more confidence in Obama, citing his temperament as an asset.

It is not difficult in Washington to find high-level military officials who have had close encounters with John McCain's temper, and who find it worrisome. Politicians sometimes scream for effect, but the concern is that McCain has, at times, come across as out of control. It is difficult to find current or former officers willing to describe those encounters in detail on the record. That's because, by and large, those officers admire McCain. But that doesn't mean they want his finger on the proverbial button, and they are supporting Clinton or Obama instead.

"I like McCain. I respect McCain. But I am a little worried by his knee-jerk response factor," said retired Maj. Gen. Paul Eaton, who was in charge of training the Iraqi military from 2003 to 2004 and is now campaigning for Clinton. "I think it is a little scary. I think this guy's first reactions are not necessarily the best reactions. I believe that he acts on impulse."

"I studied leadership for a long time during 32 years in the military," said retired Air Force Maj. Gen. Scott Gration, a one-time Republican who is supporting Obama. "It is all about character. Who can motivate willing followers? Who has the vision? Who can inspire people?" Gration asked. "I have tremendous respect for John McCain, but I would not follow him."

"One of the things the senior military would like to see when they go visit the president is a kind of consistency, a kind of reliability," explained retired Gen. Merrill McPeak, a former Republican, former chief of staff of the Air Force and former fighter pilot who flew 285 combat missions. McPeak said his perception is that Obama is "not that up when he is up and not that down when he is down. He is kind of a steady Eddie. This is a very important feature," McPeak said. On the other hand, he said, "McCain has got a reputation for being a little volatile." McPeak is campaigning for Obama.

Stephen Wayne, a political science professor at Georgetown who is studying the personalities of the presidential candidates, agrees McCain's temperament is of real concern. "The anger is there," Wayne said. If McCain is the one to answer the phone at 3 a.m., he said, "you worry about an initial emotive, less rational response."

March 6, 2008 salon.com

Unfortunately, Palin adds nothing to the ticket which helps to balance out significant concerns about McCain's temperament, and impulsivity. If she brought some outstanding expertise, or proven leadership that might help to explain why she is on the ticket, other than as a bone thrown to the religious right so they wouldn't disrupt the RNC as they had threatened to do. But, if anything, her last minute selection, and the lack of intensive vetting of her, suggests this was another hastily made, impulsive decision by McCain, partly because he was angry about not being able to get Lieberman and irritated because Rove was pushing Romney at him.

And what little we know about Palin includes an ongoing investigation into whether she abused the power of her office as governor to get her former brother-in-law fired from his job. So she and McCain may both share the same flaw of allowing their anger to cloud their judgment and rationality.

Palin offers nothing significantly reassuring to voters that helps to balance out substantial qualms about McCain's personal, temperamental problems. Neither of them appear impressive in terms of their fitness to lead the country.

blueflame1

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 03:30 pm
McCain Camp Knocks Down Enquirer's Palin Rumor
Posted by John Bentley| 4

(CBS)From CBS News' John Bentley:

(ST. PAUL, MINN.) " John McCain’s campaign threatened legal action against the National Enquirer today for running a story about McCain’s running mate, Sarah Palin, allegedly having an affair with her husband’s business partner.

“The smearing of the Palin family must end. The allegations contained on the cover of the National Enquirer insinuating that Gov. Palin had an extramarital affair are categorically false. It is a vicious lie,” said McCain senior adviser Steve Schmidt.

“The efforts of the media and tabloids to destroy this fine and accomplished public servant are a disgrace. The American people will reject it.”

The Enquirer also alleges that Palin unjustly fired a public safety official while she was governor of Alaska, but the story is based entirely on unnamed sources. The Enquirer has also paid sources in the past to speak with them, something mainstream media outlets do not do.

“Sen. McCain and Gov. Palin look forward to discussing the issues that Americans care about, fixing broken government, creating jobs, making our country energy independent and securing the peace for the next generation by bringing the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan to a victorious end,” said Schmidt.

“Legal action will be considered with regard to this disgraceful smear.”