Clinton: Open to being Obama's vice president

jasonrest

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 08:42 am
CoastalRat wrote:
Personally, I can't figure out how Obama could possibly offer her the VP slot or how she could possibly accept it if he did. I mean, she has spent 6 months hitting him on his lack of experience for the job and how we need someone (her) with more experience. So how can she possibly go out and campaign for his election after all that? I can hear her now. "We don't need experience in the White House like I once thought, so vote for Obama."

No, I think the less said by Hillary from here to election day would be the best scenerio for democrats. But I doubt that will be the case.

I would hope that Obama, Clinton and all of her fanatics understand the big picture here. "A DEMOCRAT IN OFFICE"

It's no longer about him or her, or anyone's hurt feelings.
I can think of better places for Clinton. Twisted Evil
but this may be the best way to "ENSURE" a democrat gets into office.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 08:47 am
CoastalRat wrote:
Personally, I can't figure out how Obama could possibly offer her the VP slot or how she could possibly accept it if he did. I mean, she has spent 6 months hitting him on his lack of experience for the job and how we need someone (her) with more experience. So how can she possibly go out and campaign for his election after all that? I can hear her now. "We don't need experience in the White House like I once thought, so vote for Obama."

No, I think the less said by Hillary from here to election day would be the best scenerio for democrats. But I doubt that will be the case.

I could easily see her saying "I was out there fighting for you, for better healthcare, an end to endless war and a fair deal in the workplace. For all of you who supported me, who saw me as the champion to carry your banner, I say it is time to get behind Senator Obama. Of the two remaining candidates, he is the one who will fight for the things you told me are important to the continued success of the United States. We cannot continue with the failed policies that have brought so much heartache and sadness to so many. We cannot continue to pursue failed ideologies that imagine by giving up everything that makes America great we can buy a little more security. A vote for Senator McCain is a vote for continuing those policies, policies that have brought us unending war in Iraq, policies that have made Guantanamo Bay a stain on our national reputation, policies that have dramatically benefited the wealthiest among us while leaving the average American staring at higher prices and less opportunity and policies where the liberties of all of us are under constant assualt. Senator Obama's call to action is a call we can all heed. A call to hope rather than a call to fear. A call to seize a brighter future with both hands rather than a call to hunker down and remember the past. A call to strive for the best of what we can be. It's a call that resonates with me and for those of you who I have listened over the last year on the campaign trail, I think it is a call that resonates with you as well. We have a clear choice this election. For those of you who have so enthusiastically supported my campaign, I ask you to vote for your hopes, vote for your dreams, vote for a better, fairer America. I ask you to vote for Senator Obama."

Something like doesn't directly conflict with all the negatives she espoused over the last three months while still issuing the call to arms that Clintonites need to hear.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 01:55 pm
"I think it would be the worst mistake that could be made," said Carter. "That would just accumulate the negative aspects of both candidates."

Carter!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 02:27 pm
jasonrest wrote:
"I think it would be the worst mistake that could be made," said Carter. "That would just accumulate the negative aspects of both candidates."

Carter!
Shocked That's a surprise I didn't see coming. He is right.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 02:31 pm
Funny, I just finished saying something similar to myself, talk about a double political target.. when I read the post re Carter.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 03:47 pm
Yes, I am so done with the Clintons - both of them, and I sincerely hope,
Obama is wise enough to not let her into his team.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 04:00 pm
I would be totally disappointed in Hillary if she accepted the VP nod....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 04:05 pm
That's interesting, and is another wrinkle.

So much of her campaign has been "god not HIM!!!" -- would she actually even bring her supporters on board if she's Obama's VP?
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 05:31 pm
sozobe wrote:
That's interesting, and is another wrinkle.

So much of her campaign has been "god not HIM!!!" -- would she actually even bring her supporters on board if she's Obama's VP?

Again, its not about him or her and I hate to sound trite but, (and I'm sure you've heard this somewhere before) "ITS TIME NOW TO PUT DIFFERENCES ASIDE AND FOCUS ALL OUR ENERGIES INTO PUTTING A DEMOCRAT INTO OFFICE"........and if I have to occasionally see her face as a VP in order for that to happen then so be it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 06:28 pm
Well, that's exactly the point.

Would having Hillary as a VP be more or less likely to get a Democrat in office?

I think less likely, for several reasons, but Bear brought up another that I haven't seen talked about much.

A central argument for having Hillary as the VP is that it would be, in fact, unifying. That her supporters would say "Well dang, I wanted her to be the presidential nominee but if she can't have that, I'll vote for her as VP."

Bear brings up the (valid) point that it ain't necessarily so -- that her supporters might say "I'm disappointed in her for accepting the VP slot of that idiot Obama, and I ain't voting for either of them."

As in, the supposed "unity" ticket might not be all that unifying.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 06:46 pm
sozobe wrote:
Well, that's exactly the point.

Would having Hillary as a VP be more or less likely to get a Democrat in office?
I think not. Relatively few of her following are really all that likely to vote Republican. On the other side of the beam; lots of independents will be on the fence between Obama and McCain and she could push them away. Her negatives make up a larger percentage of Americans than self-identifying Democrats do.

sozobe wrote:
I think less likely, for several reasons, but Bear brought up another that I haven't seen talked about much.

A central argument for having Hillary as the VP is that it would be, in fact, unifying. That her supporters would say "Well dang, I wanted her to be the presidential nominee but if she can't have that, I'll vote for her as VP."

Bear brings up the (valid) point that it ain't necessarily so -- that her supporters might say "I'm disappointed in her for accepting the VP slot of that idiot Obama, and I ain't voting for either of them."

This I don't buy. Accept for the very bitter; they wouldn't really need to unify the Dem party, so much, because their instincts will naturally tell them they prefer the team to another 4 years of Republican Rule. Many (most?) of us have been spoiled this cycle with at least the possibility of getting to vote for someone we want as President. But there can be no doubt that pretty much all of us have experience voting against someone we don't. Fortunately for Obama; the Hill-people are mostly hard-core Democrats at heart.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 07:08 pm
i think she wants VP, and figures that she could carve out a job...Obama would be a fool to want her. She would take Justice, but you can't have someone who willfully ignores unpleasant facts at Justice, plus her willingness to follow the law is suspect. She would take Supreme court but she can't go there for the same reasons plus she is too old. Clinton will not get what she wants. The best she could do is homeland security. Big budget, some law, run fema and such....Obama should consider that, and she might decline as it is a thankless job and a lot of work. Otherwise she should be told to go back to the senate that does not want her and sulk until her term runs out.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 07:16 pm
Health and Human services, and tell her 'make universal health care work, or your ass is grass.'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 07:27 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Health and Human services, and tell her 'make universal health care work, or your ass is grass.'

Cycloptichorn

You must be joking! She has a distinguished record of failure at that. You never, ever, give someone a second chance after they fail spectacularly on the first try. Clinton does not have the skills for that job, and she has proven it.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 07:44 pm
I hope Obama doesn't go for this town hall crap...."town hall"

McCain has been lounging and hes trying to pounce while Obama is licking his wounds.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 09:00 pm
This shouldn't be too bad...
and I hear he donated the money to charity anyways..."REzkO conviction"

guilt by association in politics annoys me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 09:55 pm
I guess it was on another thread, something about the problem in discussion s being re vetting Bill - seriously.

To me the problem is that he couldn't fire her as VP. Bad move to go there.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 11:02 pm
engineer wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:

I could easily see her saying "I was out there fighting for you, for better healthcare, an end to endless war and a fair deal in the workplace. For all of you who supported me, who saw me as the champion to carry your banner, I say it is time to get behind Senator Obama. Of the two remaining candidates, he is the one who will fight for the things you told me are important to the continued success of the United States. We cannot continue with the failed policies that have brought so much heartache and sadness to so many. We cannot continue to pursue failed ideologies that imagine by giving up everything that makes America great we can buy a little more security. A vote for Senator McCain is a vote for continuing those policies, policies that have brought us unending war in Iraq, policies that have made Guantanamo Bay a stain on our national reputation, policies that have dramatically benefited the wealthiest among us while leaving the average American staring at higher prices and less opportunity and policies where the liberties of all of us are under constant assualt. Senator Obama's call to action is a call we can all heed. A call to hope rather than a call to fear. A call to seize a brighter future with both hands rather than a call to hunker down and remember the past. A call to strive for the best of what we can be. It's a call that resonates with me and for those of you who I have listened over the last year on the campaign trail, I think it is a call that resonates with you as well. We have a clear choice this election. For those of you who have so enthusiastically supported my campaign, I ask you to vote for your hopes, vote for your dreams, vote for a better, fairer America. I ask you to vote for Senator Obama."

Something like doesn't directly conflict with all the negatives she espoused over the last three months while still issuing the call to arms that Clintonites need to hear.

I like that. Mind if I swipe it and send it off to her as a suggestion for Saturday?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 05:19 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
sozobe wrote:

This I don't buy. Accept for the very bitter; they wouldn't really need to unify the Dem party, so much, because their instincts will naturally tell them they prefer the team to another 4 years of Republican Rule.

That's parallel rather than in opposition to what I'm saying, though. That a "unity ticket" wouldn't necessarily be that unifying; that still fits with it not being that necessary (which I agree with).

Bear has already shown an example of a Hillary supporter who wouldn't be swayed by a unity ticket. He currently doesn't plan on voting for Obama, and would be "disappointed" in Hillary if she goes on the ticket.

I doubt he's the only one.

So that one element -- putting Hillary on the ticket -- doesn't even convince some subsection of Hillary voters. Which is what it's supposed to do, that's the rationale -- put Hillary on the ticket in the VP slot so that her voters will vote for Obama.

I agree with you that the vast majority (not all) of her supporters will decide that even if they don't like Obama he's considerably better than McCain. My point was narrower -- that assumptions are being made about what her voters will do if she's on the ticket that might not be accurate.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 06:12 am
Butrflynet wrote:
engineer wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:

I like that. Mind if I swipe it and send it off to her as a suggestion for Saturday?

Please feel free. I'm actually surprised I sat down to write it all down.
0 Replies