Clinton: Open to being Obama's vice president

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 08:47 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Yes, Butrflynet, you are right! This is not about Hillary anymore - this
is Obama making history and we're here to celebrate with him and always
will remember this election. Very remarkable!!

Wow! Can anyone imagine Obama's acceptance speech? 15,000 people outside the hall tonight, 17,000 inside according to the fire marshal.

Juxtapose Obama's speech with MCain's today. Why did McCain allow himself to be contrasted like that?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 08:48 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
and if obama gives hill the nod is this how you will speak of her bill? cause that's not good for the party
I'm neither a lefty nor a Democrat, so what do I care what's good for the Party? I'll call Hill a scumbag, too, if it will make you happy.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 08:48 pm
Maybe a president needs a good hatchet man. Anyway, Hillary is a strong campaigner.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 08:51 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
and if obama gives hill the nod is this how you will speak of her bill? cause that's not good for the party
I'm neither a lefty nor a Democrat, so what do I care what's good for the Party? I'll call Hill a scumbag, too, if it will make you happy.

I'm asking you what you will do not what will make me happy... ducking out as usual.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 08:52 pm
Nah, she is just letting her supporters bask in the victory in South Dakota while biding her time awaiting all the conciliatory political offers to come in. She wants to have them all on the table when she makes her next decision about the vast array of choices that lay before her. The only direction closed off to her at the moment is the presumptive nominee title. Everything else is still open to being offered to her and she's letting people know she's listening and has a lot to bring to the table.

Nothing wrong with that.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 08:52 pm
roger wrote:
Maybe a president needs a good hatchet man. Anyway, Hillary is a strong campaigner.[/quot

it works for bush Laughing
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 08:56 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
Nah, she is just letting her supporters bask in the victory in South Dakota while biding her time awaiting all the conciliatory political offers to come in. She wants to have them all on the table when she makes her next decision about the vast array of choices that lay before her. The only direction closed off to her at the moment is the presumptive nominee title. Everything else is still open to being offered to her and she's letting people know she's listening and has a lot to bring to the table.

Nothing wrong with that.

Wow, you are in denial. Hillary is over, the Clinton era is over. She can go slum it in the Senate for a few years, but she is a short timer now. She will never get elected to anything again.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:00 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I'm asking you what you will do not what will make me happy... ducking out as usual.
Rolling Eyes Well, I wouldn't want to just go ahead and malign innocent bags who through no fault of their own happen to be filled with scum.

(There's no parallel here, ya dope. You are a Lefty. I'm not.)
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:02 pm
good night bill. you aren't worth talking to.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:09 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
Butrflynet wrote:

Nothing wrong with that.

Wow, you are in denial. Hillary is over, the Clinton era is over. She can go slum it in the Senate for a few years, but she is a short timer now. She will never get elected to anything again.

Denial of what? You don't need to be elected to be appointed a cabinet position.

She's also a very good candidate for the Senate Majority Leader position.

She's a policy wonk, that's where her skills still shine very brightly. She seems to want her place in history as the first female VP. I think she'd be stifled by the VP position and hope she has the good sense to turn it down if offered.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:22 pm
this is the email going to her supporters... seems gracious enough to me

Dear Steve,

Over the course of this campaign, I have seen the promise of America in your courage and character, your energy and ingenuity, and your compassion and faith.

Your spirit has inspired me every day in this race. While I traveled this country talking about how I wanted to help you -- time and again, you reached out to help me. To grab my hand or grip my arm, to look me in my eyes and tell me, don't quit, keep fighting, stay in this race for us. There were days when I had strength enough for the both of us -- and on the days I didn't, I leaned on you.

This has always been your campaign, and tonight, there's no one I want to hear from more than you. I hope you're as proud as I am of what we've done and that you'll take a moment to share your thoughts with me now at my website.

I want to congratulate Senator Obama and his supporters on the extraordinary race that they have run. Senator Obama has inspired so many Americans to care about politics and empowered so many more to get involved, and our party and our democracy are stronger and more vibrant as a result.

Whatever path I travel next, I promise I will keep faith with you and everyone I have met across this good and great country. There is no possible way to thank you enough for everything you have done throughout this primary season, and you will always be in my heart.

Sincerely,
Image Blocked
Hillary Rodham Clinton

Image Blocked
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:25 pm
Haha, this reporter on CNN was just saying that the Clintons are the
Ike and Tina Turner of Politics. They don't do anything nice and easy,
they do it nice and rough. That was quite a good comparison. Laughing
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:25 pm
I agree, Butrflynet.

Cheney was a strong VP, but that isn't historically a VP's role. Since Obama seems capable of actually running things himself (unlike Bush), it would be an incredible waste of talent to stick Hillary in the VP slot when she could accomplish so much more in other positions. I hope she is offered a role with real substance.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:32 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
Butrflynet wrote:

Nothing wrong with that.

Denial of what? You don't need to be elected to be appointed a cabinet position.

She's also a very good candidate for the Senate Majority Leader position.

She's a policy wonk, that's where her skills still shine very brightly. She seems to want her place in history as the first female VP. I think she'd be stifled by the VP position and hope she has the good sense to turn it down if offered.

Unfortunately, you're right.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 09:34 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Haha, this reporter on CNN was just saying that the Clintons are the Ike and Tina Turner of Politics. They don't do anything nice and easy, they do it nice and rough. That was quite a good comparison. Laughing

I got a good yuck out of that one too! Laughing
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 04:33 am
hawkeye10 wrote:
Right...let's all ignore that Hillary could not do the right thing, could not concede the race once it was clear to every single person that she had lost it. No, instead lets call her behaviour what it is, an affirmation that the right person won, and the right person lost. Let's celebrate that.

Right on!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 06:08 am
it's time to put this all behind us, we need to gather under a common banner

all politicians are scumbags, no normal person would take the job

congrats to obamma and mcain, may the least summiest of the bags reign victorious
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 07:05 am
Personally, I can't figure out how Obama could possibly offer her the VP slot or how she could possibly accept it if he did. I mean, she has spent 6 months hitting him on his lack of experience for the job and how we need someone (her) with more experience. So how can she possibly go out and campaign for his election after all that? I can hear her now. "We don't need experience in the White House like I once thought, so vote for Obama."

No, I think the less said by Hillary from here to election day would be the best scenerio for democrats. But I doubt that will be the case.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 07:11 am
Ezra Klein was funny: his first comment on Hillary's strident non-concession speech was, "I think Clinton may be willing to offer Obama the vice presidency."

A later post has a more serious analysis:

Quote:
She doesn't accept

In the first episode of the BBC comedy Coupling, Steve decides he's going to break up with his partner Jane. He steels up his courage, strides over to her, and makes his pitch. "I'm going to put this very simply. It's over between us," he says. She looks at him quizzically. "You want us to split up?" she asks. "Yes," replies Steve. "Yes I do." She looks at him sweetly. "I don't accept."

Tonight, the Democratic Party essentially told Clinton that it was over. Obama crossed the magic delegate threshold and captured, for all intents and purposes, the nomination. Clinton had run a remarkable race, and come inches from securing the nomination, but she had lost. And tonight, Clinton took the stage in New York, and said, in effect, "I don't accept."

Clinton's speech was a curious spectacle. It's not merely that she didn't concede, but that she didn't even mention that anything had changed. She congratulated Obama on his campaign, but not on his win, or even his likely win. Instead, she continued to talk about her electability, her desire to "count every vote" (every vote, save for a few stragglers in South Dakota, has now been cast and counted), her ability to see Americans whose poverty renders them "invisible" to the other candidates, her faith in the continued efforts of her supporters. It wasn't merely that she didn't concede, but that she didn't stop running, didn't stop attacking.

She admitted that the next few days would require thought as to the path forward, but used that as an opening to plug her web site, where supporters could weigh in on the path she should choose. And on her web site, the button to submit your message of support sits next to an even larger button asking you to contribute. "Throughout this campaign, Hillary has always promised to stand up for you. Show Hillary you're standing with her by making a contribution to our campaign today." If you decide not to contribute, and try to simply leave a message, you're taken to another page where, again, you're asked to contribute. In truth, it is the contribution that Clinton is asking for, not the support. And those donations will not go towards her campaign for the nomination, which cannot be revived by more money. Rather, those donations will go towards retiring her millions in campaign debt. And, in a way, it explain why Hillary refuses to drop out.

So long as she remains in the race, she has leverage. She has purpose. She has supporters who will donate to her efforts. She has reporters who will cover her statements. She has the assurance that the Obama campaign will grow increasingly desperate to facilitate her concession. She has the chance, no matter how slim, that lightning will strike, or scandal will hit, or tragedy will fall, and Obama's campaign will unexpectedly fold in upon itself and she will step forward as the nominee.

It is not so much that she doesn't realize it's over as that she sees no upside in admitting the end. She understands, she just doesn't accept.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 07:58 am
BBB
If Senator Obama offered Senator Clinton the Secretary of Health and Human Services cabinet post, she might be tempted to accept. It might be the best position from which to support and gain universal health care.

BBB
0 Replies