Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 10:09 pm
And from Paul Krugman in 9/9 NYT:

Quote:
Other People's Sacrifice
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 10:17 pm
The NY Times Editorial is devastating.

Since the NY Times is known as "the paper of record"( at least it was until "political correctness" allowed incompetents to write for the paper) this may be the "death blow" for President Bush.

The only problem is that some parts of the country are not as advanced as New York.

They do not have the same political sophistication.

View, for example, the ideas of the midwestern hicks in Chicago writing on the editorial page of the Chicago Tribune.

quote- P. 18- September 8th- Editorial-

"The Cost of Commitment in Iraq"

"...What each of us should never forget is that, for many years, the rest of the world dithered while only Saddam Hussein nurtured a vision for Iraq-its people as well as its devious role in the constellation of nations. Now, at long last, some one else has a vision for Iraq. It is a costly and difficult vision, but as the president made clear Sunday night, it very much needs to be achieved."
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 10:21 pm
Oh dear - the use of the apostrophe after Gallup is perfectly correct. Go back and check your rules of grammar.

However, Hobit's cronts paint an interesting picture. Is that a hobby, hobit, or a new kind of friend? If they have pointy heads - you could put them altogether and put them somewhere we could see them?
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 10:34 pm
I am very much afraid that Mumajuana's knowledge of the proper use of the aposthrope is as lacking as her understanding of modern politics.

I will, in the spirit of the great teacher- Hobibit- instruct Mumajuana.

source-
The Merriam-Webster Concise Handbook for Writers-Pub. 1991

P. 5-

l. The apostrophe is used to indicate the possessive case of nouns and indefinite pronouns.

Would Mumajuana please point out what it is that Gallup is "possessing" in her sentence-

How come the Gallup's the only one that shows that.

It may be that Mumajuana has discovered an arcane but accepted usage of the possessive.

I, and it appears, the above quoted Handbook for Writers, can find no such usage.

Would Mumajuana deign to explain???
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:00 pm
mamajuana wrote:
- we have to come up with the money.

Your President Bush is apparently going to make a lightning visit to Australia soon. No doubt it's to ask for cash & more involvement in Iraq. I get the feeling he's going to be asking lots of places for the same!
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:04 pm
Why sure. The apostrophe indicates possessive, and there is a prior possessive.. Perfectly proper and used. This is stuff I wrote and edited for years - and still have that libary of books on grammar and English usage.

Pero - A E I O U
El burro mas sabe que tu.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:41 pm
Italgato -- The majority (most!) of your posts contain grammatical or spelling errors. Why are you taking so much of this thread to criticize other people's writing? And in such a condescending way too?

Not only is Mamajuana's use of an apostrophe correct as a contraction of "Gallup is", even if it were wrong this is an incredibly trivial matter, and has no relevance to this thread. If you wish to discuss it, please do so by PM or by creating another thread.

------
As to Bush's speech, I try to keep an open mind. But the more information I read from hundreds of different sources, the more I'm starting to think he intended to invade Afghanistan and Iraq no matter what, in order to control oil supplies, the Middle East, and the world.

It sounds dramatic, but it's the only explanation I can find to explain his behavior, decisions, strategies and tactics. We needed a Pearl Harbor event to spook the sheep of America into a panicked state, and get everyone stampeding against other countries. Terrorism was simply the biggest, handiest excuse he could find.

We are the richest, most powerful and capable society in history. Why do we have any fear in our lives whatsoever?!? Because it's useful. To control us. The only reason fear exists here is to make people stop thinking for themselves (free and independent), and coerce them into blindly following a direction (a human resource). Fear exists only to sell us something. It exists to the degree that that thing is difficult to rationally swallow.

People will be hyping terrorism forever -- because it works.
The only cure to terrorism is to not be afraid.
The only cure to a conniving and manipulative government is to not be afraid.
To think for ourselves based on hard to find information, and to think carefully, without any romantic pretense about human nature.

What is going on with our precious country? Osama bin Laden has already given Bush the excuse to destroy, pillage and take whatever he wants (our interests) -- for us to be *many* times more destructive than terrorists have ever been.

I fear for our country and for societies around the world that could otherwise be our friends. This seems more and more like a war of domination and simple greed. Bush's speech is just a mild way of maintaining the most reasonable pretense he can find.

He's a cowboy. He knows what spurs to use when he rides the American public. Who does this country belong to?
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 12:01 am
I wonder whether Mumajuana would be so good as to correct me.

I indicated that she could if I was mistaken.

She said: "still have that libary( sic) of books on English and English usage"

I await her instruction.

However, I am puzzled by her usage of another language? I do not recognize it?

It appears to be Arabic, am I correct?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 01:26 am
No, which is always a safe assumption in your case.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 01:29 am
It's a Spanish rhyme based on the vowels, which both it and English share.

AEIOU
The ass knows more than you.

What do you know, it rhymes in English too!
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 01:49 am
Infrablue: I thought that bad language and profanity was not allowed on these posts.

So It means that the "ass knows more than me"

Interesting.

I do concede that.

The ass( Mumajuana) does know more than me.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 01:54 am
But the ass didnt know the difference between her "culo e un buco nella terra" when it came to the official ranking of Zobgy International with regard to the results found by Public Polls.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 02:34 am
Paul Krugman wrote:
The key question here is whether the Bush administration will swallow its pride and cede substantial control over the occupation to the U.N.

It has nothing to do with pride, whatsoever.
If we assume that Iraq is now an American territory,
Bush would never go begging for the U.N. to get involved,
no matter how embarassed, expensive or flailing the matter becomes for us.

If he can get other countries to send a few billion dollars (or some paltry military) to build up Iraq, that just
a) makes our property worth that much more,
b) makes the story of "an independent Iraq" more credible,
c) persuades a few more people that everything is okay, other countries approve.

Why should anyone be embarassed about cheating or ruining a country (Iraq) as long as we own it, lock (military), stock (industry) and pork-barrel (politicians).

Paul Krugman wrote:
Surely the leader who brought us to this pass, and is now seeking a bailout, ought to make some major concessions as part of the deal. But it was clear from his speech that, as usual, he expects to take while others do all the giving.

It's not a bailout, more like free money sitting there for the asking.
So why not? What "ought" to happen is for theoreticians. If the money's available, take it.

Paul Krugman wrote:
Mr. Bush created this crisis, and if he were a true patriot he would pay a political price to resolve it. Maybe it's time for him to do a couple of things he's never done before, like admitting mistakes and standing up to the hard right.

When a plan goes according to plan, it's not really a crisis. It's just a noisy plan.

Also, when a liar and thief is suspected, the first rule is to deny everything.
Never confess, ever! That would blow everything up and ruin the whole scheme while it's still unfolding.

In fact, make the lie bigger and grander as needed, and hammer the images into people.
Many won't believe him, but they will pause longer and let him continue.
He'll still be able to carry out the agenda, so how embarassing is that?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 02:38 am
Italgo, there is a big difference between using teh word ass to refer to a donkey and using it to refer to another member. The first if not against this site's Terms of Service while the second one is.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 02:51 am
"Aposthrope" - huh, Italgato?

One who has a hatred of apostles? Since we are correcting people's English usage....
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 08:20 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Italgo, there is a big difference between using teh word ass to refer to a donkey and using it to refer to another member. The first if not against this site's Terms of Service while the second one is.

Not to be picky, or hypocritical, or anything else, but please refer to the TOS for ALL members...

Terms of Use wrote:
1) Be courteous. You agree that you will not threaten or verbally abuse other members, use defamatory language, or deliberately disrupt topics with repetitive messages, meaningless messages or "spam." Spammers will be removed from the service, and their accounts terminated.
2) Use respectful language. You agree not to use language that abuses or discriminates on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual preference, age, region, disability, etc. Hate speech of any kind is grounds for immediate and permanent removal from the service.
3) Use appropriate language. While open exchanges, even about adult-oriented issues, are encouraged, members are asked to consider the different ages and sensitivities of the entire community while participating in the Able2Know service. If necessary, inappropriate language will be deleted or edited, or a topic containing said inappropriate language will be marked as such (e. g. Warning: contains adult language).
4) Vulgar speech is not tolerated. Vulgarisms will be deleted or edited, and may result in a warning or eventual removal from the site.
5) Lively debate is accepted, and even encouraged, but personal attacks are not. Active topics and heated debate are welcome in the Able2Know service. However, personal attacks are a direct violation of this Agreement and are grounds for immediate and permanent removal from the service.

mamajuana wrote:
This has become ridiculous. Too bad your thread was hijacked, tart.

But one can never argue with uneducated people.

mamajuana wrote:
Well, setanta, hope springs eternal. perception has become one of those studies in which you wait to see how stupid he can get. And he doesn't disappoint.

His little slogan sort of says it all: totally meaningless and fraught with narciccism.

"You will always have war until you knock the human nature out of the human race. ...Perception"

mamajuana wrote:
The other thing, Tart, is that he operates on only a few cells. So everything from him is pseudo in one way or another. I wonder if he's waiting to find an avatar that's all mouth?

mamajuana wrote:
Hobit - Obviously, I have come to the conclusion that there are people on this earth who are real losers when it comes to being people. Too many people here who are interesting and knowledgeable - therefore, a waste of time to try to dicourse with idiots. Although, on consideration, that may be too kind a term for this person. I suggest you wave your wand and say "begone." Let him disappear into the mists he came from.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 08:42 am
Dear McGentrix: Thank you so much for your rundown.

I must ask for assistance on this matter.

I appreciate your quotes of Mamajuana.

One that you missed, which came prior to mine was:

"El burro mas sabe que tu"

A personal attack????

"One can never argue with uneducated people"

A personal attack by Mamajuana?

"Perception has become one of those studies in which you see how stupid he can get"

"He operates on only a few cells"

"A waste of time to try to discourse with idiots"

I am glad that you listed the rules for me, McClintock.

After I read some of the posts, I did not think that there was any rules at all.

In fact geslesgi( spelling?) made a personal attack by addressing me while using mock Italianisms.

( I am not Italian by the way)

Even Hobit was highly personal when he asked whether I had been mistreated as a boy.

But, now thanks to you, McClintock, I am aware of the procedure to follow.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 08:52 am
I just perused this post and can't help but notice due to attitude....syntax...his own spelling errors while criticizing others AND the fact that ITAL and MASSA both end in gato, that perhaps we have a another Abuzz person who although more constrained to be civil here than there is the same person none the less.

What a pity if this is true.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 09:13 am
Good point, BPB. I think Moderator needs to watch closely to see how much destruction of A2K will be permitted by anybody.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 09:39 am
McGentrix, the TOS does cover all members. Thing is, since you don't see the communication you seem to think it doesn't exist. In this case you would be wrong.

By the standard you imply above you have broken the TOS many many times. If you have something to report please report it to the Moderator account. Other than that you'd do well to abide by the TOS yourself.

Bi-polar,

It does not matter if Italgo is this massagato you name. Nowhere in the TOS does it stipulate that it is against the rules to be massagatos and if people would be objective about that they'd understand why.
0 Replies