President Bush's speech to the Nation

wenchilina

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 09:32 pm
http://www.hermes-press.com/Voting/bush_rigged.gif
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 09:44 pm
And Joe Biden from Delaware thought it was a great speech? Everything he said about Iraq was refuted by today's papers But he's talking to his die-hard supporters.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 09:58 pm
Well, I'm glad I didn't listen and appreciate the updates. Sounds pretty bad. One wonders what Biden liked... specifically...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 06:29 am
I pretty much concur with everything stated so far, but I couldn't let this statement pass:

"I recognize that not all of our friends agreed with our decision to enforce the Security Council resolutions and remove Saddam Hussein from power."

The sheer audacity of Bush in repeating this lie to a national audience is simply breathtaking. The Bush administration defied the UN. The resolutions leading up to the conflict did not authorize an attack. Bush tried to get a resolution authorizing an attack, but (despite his promise to introduce a resolution for a vote) ultimately decided to go to war without any UN authorization.

I guess Goebbels was right: the bigger the lie, the more the people will believe you.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:17 am
Ain't it amazing how successful this administration is in their lies? A good majority of Americans still believe in them.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 01:06 pm
From CNN:RXNs to speech
My favourite:
Quote:
Now I hope our French and German and other allies step up to the ball and are as magnanimous in acknowledging what we have to do now as the president was."

Biden also said he supported Bush's call for spending $87 billion on military operations and reconstruction in Iraq and Afghanistan next year, although he said the administration should consider deferring tax cuts to pay for it, instead of simply increasing the deficit.

"I think the American people are ready to sacrifice to win, and I think if we went back to the American people and said, 'Look, the very wealthiest among us, we're going to postpone your tax cut a year or two to pay for this,' I think they would embrace it," he said.

a) How was Bush 'magnanimous?
b) "Sacrifice to win." What is this, a football match?
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 01:37 pm
I must agree with Hobitbob and Joe from Chicago.

When will presidents learn that they cannot lie with impunity to the people of this country?

The blatant lies of William Clinton are still remembered. His absurd declaration that he did not have sex with that woman made him a laughing stock.

Soon, the truth will catch up with George W. Bush.

I certainly hope he is not immune to the consequences of lying as Clinton was.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 01:41 pm
There was also 'honest Abe'. He once told his wife she didn't look fat when he thought she did. Since you are equating any lies to the lies that are used as a casus belli and since you seem to have no inkling of the difference I figured I'd posit Abe's sin as well.

Think he's in hell for that one?
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 01:42 pm
I do not wish to nit pick but cicernone imposter's otherwise brilliant essay was marred by what may have been a serious ( inadvertent ?) spelling error.

I am sure that Cicerone Impostor knows the difference between advice(recommendation offered as a guide to conduct) and advise(to give counsel to).

When such errors are made, one has to wonder about the depth of the reasoning offered by the contributor!!!!!
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 01:45 pm
Dear Craven:

Do I have an inkling of the difference?

Wouldn't you say that depends of my values??

I do think that proper respect for "diversity" demands respect for differences in values.

Don't you agree?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 01:45 pm
Bush is very bush.

He was bush before he became governor of Texas -- he was bush before he became president -- and he is bush today.

It makes my stomach churn to hear that polls show that 50% of Americans think he is doing a decent job as president.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 01:46 pm
Italgato wrote:
Dear Craven:

Do I have an inkling of the difference?

Wouldn't you say that depends of my values??

I do think that proper respect for "diversity" demands respect for differences in values.

Don't you agree?

Sure, so while you continue to think you have an inkling of a difference let's appreciate the diversity of opinion and celebrate the fact that I don't think you do.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 02:29 pm
Frank, I'm in the same camp that doesn't understand how half the American populace finds bush doing a good job. That does more than turn my stomach; my mental health is being attacked.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 02:42 pm
Italgato wrote:
I do not wish to nit pick but cicernone imposter's otherwise brilliant essay was marred by what may have been a serious ( inadvertent ?) spelling error.

I am sure that Cicerone Impostor knows the difference between advice(recommendation offered as a guide to conduct) and advise(to give counsel to).

When such errors are made, one has to wonder about the depth of the reasoning offered by the contributor!!!!!

Sounds to me like you really did want to nit pick.

I consider myself a careful poster and a reasonable speller, but I cannot count the number of times I've typed "advise" when I meant "advice."

I usually catch it when proofing.

But for you to point something like that out and then suggest that it was a "serious" spelling error and further suggest that if one makes that mistake, it should cause people to "wonder about the depth of reasoning" involved -- really is a stretch.

Or a bit of nit picking.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 02:43 pm
On the rationale for "Preventative War" in future:Yet Another Justification
Quote:
Whether Saddam actually possessed weapons of mass destruction "isn't really the issue," John Bolton, undersecretary of state for arms control, now suggests. "The issue I think has been the capability that Iraq sought to have," Bolton said in a recent interview.

Benjamin Barber, professor of civil society at the University of Maryland and author of the book, "Fear's Empire: war, terrorism and democracy," said that Bush's recast war rationale makes it easier for administration hawks to justify pre-emptive wars as a means of going after terrorism.

"That's a more serious mistake than to try to claim we were going after weapons of mass destruction," Barber said. "It sends the wrong note to our allies at the United Nations."

The president's congressional allies welcomed his new war rationale.

Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Richard Lugar, R-Ind., called Bush's address "a comprehensive presentation of the scope of our war against terrorism, its current focus, our determination to succeed and the cost."
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 02:43 pm
BTW, Italgato

I was nitpicking in that last post.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 03:40 pm
From Slate:Mission Creep
Quote:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 04:03 pm
One way for hawks to escalate their war-mongering is to keep increasing the stakes for our enemy. Although the initial justification for war with Iraq is now moot, that they are attracting all the terrorists to their country is a good place to wage our war against terrorists and terrorism. That should mean, according to their logic, that all the terrorism is now concentrated in Iraq. 87 billion and counting........
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 04:05 pm
BTW, that 87 billion translate to over $1,000 bucks for every man, woman, and child in Iraq, and that's only the beginning. What was that about "leave no child behind?" I bet everybody thought Bush meant American children.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 04:33 pm
Italgato
Italgato wrote: "I do not wish to nit pick but cicernone imposter's otherwise brilliant essay was marred by what may have been a serious ( inadvertent ?) spelling error.

When such errors are made, one has to wonder about the depth of the reasoning offered by the contributor!!!!!"

Your opinions of other A2Kers and about current events might be received with greater interest if they were not cloaked with haughty and patronizing pontification.

It appears you are trying to imitate the eminent William F. Buckley Jr.

Italgato, you are no Bill Buckley.

---BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies